Post-game observations

GoBills

The student section was outstanding. They really blew away us old-timers tonight. The effect with the white balloons looked really neat. The team treating them to a game like that will be the best way to start building consistent student interest. Great atmosphere and it sounds like it will be even better Saturday.

Mitchell is a winner! Some kids just have it. Earlier in the season some people were complaining about how ugly his shot looked, well the kid is effective and a real leader. Not playing like a freshman anymore.

You got to give Barry credit. Sure he is still prone to some bad decisions, but he has really been stepping it up. I can't believe some people were saying guys like Newbourne and Varner were better. Give Barry his due!

Nivins is a stud. The match-up with Willie was fascinating. Hopefully Willie was looking into his future by getting to play against Nivins. Willie's goal should be to develop into Nivins. Nivins outfoxed him several times, most notably baiting Willie into a charge, but Willie held his own and stayed agressive. A great learning experience for #33.

What made this victory impressive was that I really got the sense that St. Joseph's brought their A-game. Their shooting percentage and free throw percentages were outstanding. Sometimes you get wins especially at home because the other team didn't play well. That wasn't the case. The Bills had to earn this one. Let's take down Dayton and finish the season strong. Fun night!

Oh, I know about the tradition with that Hawk flapping his wings, but was it really necessary to continue doing it throughout the anthem? I thought that was disrespectful.

The student section was outstanding. They really blew away us old-timers tonight. The effect with the white balloons looked really neat. The team treating them to a game like that will be the best way to start building consistent student interest. Great atmosphere and it sounds like it will be even better Saturday.

Mitchell is a winner! Some kids just have it. Earlier in the season some people were complaining about how ugly his shot looked, well the kid is effective and a real leader. Not playing like a freshman anymore.

You got to give Barry credit. Sure he is still prone to some bad decisions, but he has really been stepping it up. I can't believe some people were saying guys like Newbourne and Varner were better. Give Barry his due!

Nivins is a stud. The match-up with Willie was fascinating. Hopefully Willie was looking into his future by getting to play against Nivins. Willie's goal should be to develop into Nivins. Nivins outfoxed him several times, most notably baiting Willie into a charge, but Willie held his own and stayed agressive. A great learning experience for #33.

What made this victory impressive was that I really got the sense that St. Joseph's brought their A-game. Their shooting percentage and free throw percentages were outstanding. Sometimes you get wins especially at home because the other team didn't play well. That wasn't the case. The Bills had to earn this one. Let's take down Dayton and finish the season strong. Fun night!

Oh, I know about the tradition with that Hawk flapping his wings, but was it really necessary to continue doing it throughout the anthem? I thought that was disrespectful.

He did put his hand over his heart! :lol: Clip His Wings!

I agree, the student section was amazing for once! They did a great job getting them to the game. Signs everywhere, emails and just in general promoting the game more. Who wouldn't come, free t-shirts, Outback Steak House and ALL the give aways. It seemed most of the students stayed! let's hope they start a tradition now and keep coming and supporting their home team!

Great job Billikens! It was an exciting game and a great win!

I agree, the student section was amazing for once! They did a great job getting them to the game. Signs everywhere, emails and just in general promoting the game more. Who wouldn't come, free t-shirts, Outback Steak House and ALL the give aways. It seemed most of the students stayed! let's hope they start a tradition now and keep coming and supporting their home team!

Great job Billikens! It was an exciting game and a great win!

YES!!! Great win. I missed the game but sounds phenomenal. Again, what I wouldn't give to be in the student section or even just in the arena. If we play like we know we can in the post season tourny, look out A-10. Mitchell, I love you.

Completely echo everybody's thoughts on the student section. It looked awesome on TV. Unfortunately, our high rollers continue to not show up. It really takes away from the view on TV when half the lower bowl isn't there or doesn't wear the white shirts.

Hell of a game though. As somebody else said, this Billiken team is so much different than those of years past. Big men putting the ball on the floor and grabbing put backs. Quickness. Finesse. Point Guards hitting clutch 3's. It was just an enjoyable game and the future is really bright. Also wanted to give a shout out to Barry. He has really stepped his game up lately and is a major reason for our resurgence. Just wish he'd cut down the fouls.

The students were great - I loved seeing the student section extend all the way to the back of the arena. We need that kind of turnout + hours of drinking for Dayton. Hopefully a lot of the kids who were there last night who don't ordinarily go to games will come back.

I kind of like the "bag popping" tradition that the Blue Crew has started.

I have been told that the kid(s) (and I don't know really if its singular or plural) in the Hawks outfit has a full scholarship and that the saying "The Hawk Will Never Die" refers to that continual flapping. In other words --- HE'S NOT ALLOWED TO STOP! I have seen the hand over heart move for the national anthem but the other wing keeps on going, last I saw. I've also seen Temple kids with toy=pop guns shooting at the thing --- last time at Boardwalk Hall in last year's A10 tourney. That's more a Philly thing --- both schools have been a part of the Big Five for about a century now. that kind of time can overcome any amount of political correctness out there.

Frankly, the Hawk, the Owl, the Wildcat, the Explorer and the Quaker are second class citizens in their own city which is owned forever by the late comer to the group --- the Philly Phanatic! Now there's an act!

I have been told that the kid(s) (and I don't know really if its singular or plural) in the Hawks outfit has a full scholarship and that the saying "The Hawk Will Never Die" refers to that continual flapping. In other words --- HE'S NOT ALLOWED TO STOP! I have seen the hand over heart move for the national anthem but the other wing keeps on going, last I saw. I've also seen Temple kids with toy=pop guns shooting at the thing --- last time at Boardwalk Hall in last year's A10 tourney. That's more a Philly thing --- both schools have been a part of the Big Five for about a century now. that kind of time can overcome any amount of political correctness out there.

Frankly, the Hawk, the Owl, the Wildcat, the Explorer and the Quaker are second class citizens in their own city which is owned forever by the late comer to the group --- the Philly Phanatic! Now there's an act!

I have heard that too about the full scholarship thing for the hawk--still doesn't make him less annoying and I still want to punch him in the face for nonstop flapping of his wings---that guy must have some huge shoulders/deltoids to be able to flap his arms like that for a couple of hours-he does deserve and earn his tuition money!

I've heard the same thing about the Hawk being on full scholarship, which is pretty cool. He certainly earns it! St. Joe's has great spirit, which I wish our students and alumni would emulate. "The Hawk Will Never Die" is a great cheer. It looks like the Hawk's costume has been upgraded - it was a little ratty looking the last time they were in town.

That be me. thanks Moy! It really was a fun atmosphere.

I thought that might be you. I'm the guy over the tunnel who was urging you to smack the Hawk with a flag. F...k Peta, kill a hawk today. For some reason St. Joe's just gets to me ... maybe because their (and their coaches) rep exceeds their results.

Did anyone hear the post-game interview? Majerus was asked why he didn't wear white. He said he is paid to be a basketball coach and not a snowman.

that's hilarious...he'd be a good snowman--I don't blame him, wear the black stuff rickma-its slimming...especially for a TV game---what do they say, TV adds a few hundred pounds to you. I really don't care what he wears as long as we win--he wouldn't be as good a snowman as Mangino at kansas though--that would be a good one!

Did anyone hear the post-game interview? Majerus was asked why he didn't wear white. He said he is paid to be a basketball coach and not a snowman.

Too bad we can't even get former players to wear white, what , is it beneath them or something. Saw 3 of them at the game, Ed Tabash had on white, but 2 others, one a lawyer who sits behind the basket at the Bills bench end and another who is on KPLR as a Billiken color commentator, both went with the dark Blue look. Comeon guys, get with the program.

I've heard the same thing about the Hawk being on full scholarship, which is pretty cool. He certainly earns it! St. Joe's has great spirit, which I wish our students and alumni would emulate. "The Hawk Will Never Die" is a great cheer. It looks like the Hawk's costume has been upgraded - it was a little ratty looking the last time they were in town.

The Hawk

The Hawk

One of the most famous mascots in college sports, the Saint Joseph's Hawk has been flapping its wings for 52 years.

The Hawk, which celebrated its golden anniversary in 2005-06, is best known for staying in constant motion by flapping its wings throughout every basketball game and representing the Saint Joseph's motto, "The Hawk Will Never Die."

Jim Brennan originated the idea for a hawk as mascot during the 1954-55 season. Brennan, an ex-Marine and SJU cheerleader, at first wanted to secure an actual hawk, but later switched to the costume idea. The student government raised the 120 dollars needed to buy the initial costume, which Brennan donned for three years. He made his debut as the Hawk on January 4, 1956, a 69-56 win over La Salle at the Palestra. Since then, and including this season, a total of 31 SJU students, have donned the costume. Sara Brennan in 2000-01 has been the only woman thus far to serve as the mascot. The Hawk has not missed a men's basketball game since that first season.

In addition to the constant flapping, the Hawk is also recognized by its "flying" in figure eights around the court during timeouts. The constant motion, coupled with the scrappy play of the University's athletic teams, helped to spawn the school's familiar slogan "The Hawk Will Never Die!" A few years ago, ESPN used a "flap-o-meter" on the national telecast of a Saint Joseph's game to estimate that the Hawk flaps its wings 3,500 times during a regulation game.

The Hawk is unique because it is one of the few mascots in the nation that travels to every game, and the student who holds the position gains a full scholarship. The student, who is selected through an interview process during the previous spring semester, also serves as a team manager for the men's basketball team and travels with the squad.

The most decorated mascot in the country, The Hawk has garnered numerous accolades in its 50-year history. The Sporting News, Sports Illustrated, Sports Illustrated for Kids, Street & Smith's Basketball Yearbook and ESPN College Basketball magazine have selected it as the nation's top mascot. Eastern Basketball tabbed The Hawk as the Atlantic 10 Conference's best mascot, while The Hawk won a "Best of Philly" award from Philadelphia Magazine in 2003-04. More recently, The Hawk was named as a nominee for induction into the 2008 Mascot Hall of Fame.

Saint Joseph's athletic teams have been recognized with the nickname "Hawks" since 1929. At that time, the school's yearbook editor, Charlie Dunn, initiated a contest among the student body for a symbol. More than 100 submissions were narrowed to two, with "Hawks" winning out over "Grenadiers" (World War I soldiers who specialized in tossing grenades) by a slim margin in the final vote. John Gallagher '31, a catcher on the Saint Joseph's baseball team, submitted the winning suggestion. He won a sweater with a special Saint Joseph's monogram for selecting the winning name. According to the student annual, the name was appropriate because it typified "the fighting spirit of our crimson and gray athletes and it is suggestive of the aerial attack which has made our football team famous." Ironically, football was discontinued at Saint Joseph's following the 1939 season.

But it has been the connection with the storied tradition of the Saint Joseph's men's and women's basketball programs that has given The Hawk mascot its prominence on the national level.

TIM KLARICH

The Hawk - 2008-09

Tim Klarich will serve as the Saint Joseph's University Hawk mascot for the 2008-09 season. He becomes the 31st student to represent the University as its men's basketball mascot, in the 53rd year of one of college basketball's most famous traditions.

A graduate of St. Joseph's Prep, Klarich has served as a student worker in the SJU Men's Basketball office and as a team manager for the past few years. He is involved with the American Marketing Association and has volunteered with the Gesu Reading Enrichment Program and Saint Joseph's Hand in Hand project.

A native of Philadelphia, he is a senior marketing major. His older brother, Steve, served as The Hawk for two seasons in 2001-02 and 2002-03.

So judging from Nark's info on The Hawk, it appears that my understanding of the audition process for the Hawk has been incorrect over the years. I had figured that SJU gathered all students interested in becoming the mascot in the gym, and told everyone to start flapping their arms, with the individual to flap their arms the longest winning the position and scholarship. But instead they interview apparently. I'd think all that flapping would be taxing on the shoulders, so I'd hope that in addition to the scholarship, the mascot gets the resulting rotator cuff surgery covered by the university.

He really is. This is my first post and really my first time looking around on this board but I am a SLU grad student and went here for undergrad too. I am from Cincinnati and actually a huge Xavier fan but also a big Bills fan (as long as they arent playing Xavier) but let me tell you do I wish we had Mitchell on our team. Xavier only has one true point right now in Holloway who after being really good at the beginning of the year has hit a rough patch. We could really use a Mitchell right now. I am looking forward to seeing these two matchup against each other for the next 3 years but it looks like Mitchell has the edge on Holoway right now. He is having big game after big game.

Too bad we can't even get former players to wear white, what , is it beneath them or something. Saw 3 of them at the game, Ed Tabash had on white, but 2 others, one a lawyer who sits behind the basket at the Bills bench end and another who is on KPLR as a Billiken color commentator, both went with the dark Blue look. Comeon guys, get with the program.

back to the game instead of the fashion police: BE continues to play as we expected from his recruitment. He still can't jump and is a poor rebounder

however, he finishes well as long as he is on automatic. If a ball is passed unexpectantly to someone or caroms off the backboard at someone-let it be Barry. This is the first post by me for BE as I always thought he was an underachiever.