Continuing the discussion on Thompson

I agree, Nashville, but this is a young team regardless. Don't you think that Majerus knows he's got to work with what he's got? Why not play Brett Thompson? This is unacceptable. You sign a recruit to play basketball, not be a cheerleader. Let's get that squared away right now. Brett Thompson is a good basketball player that needs to develop some confidence against quicker, more athletic teams. We know that. Thompson isn't going to wake up one day being the second coming of Handsboro. He's got to clock in and go to work when coach calls his number. No one goes to work at Boeing and goes to the R&D department and says, "I've been here a couple of months. I'm ready to build you an airplane," but you're expected to contribute to the good of the company. If Thompson rides the pine against all athletic teams in the A-10, why not ask for a transfer.

I agree, Nashville, but this is a young team regardless. Don't you think that Majerus knows he's got to work with what he's got? Why not play Brett Thompson? This is unacceptable. You sign a recruit to play basketball, not be a cheerleader. Let's get that squared away right now. Brett Thompson is a good basketball player that needs to develop some confidence against quicker, more athletic teams. We know that. Thompson isn't going to wake up one day being the second coming of Handsboro. He's got to clock in and go to work when coach calls his number. No one goes to work at Boeing and goes to the R&D department and says, "I've been here a couple of months. I'm ready to build you an airplane," but you're expected to contribute to the good of the company. If Thompson rides the pine against all athletic teams in the A-10, why not ask for a transfer.

So you say just play him even if it puts the team at a disadvantage. Makes perfect sense. I'm sure Kevin and Tommie would love that approach. You should be the coach.

Thompson is contributing to the team even by not playing. He contributes in practice and that is where he is going to develop. The team practices everyday and they only play a game once or twice a week. A lot of learning and developing happens in practice.

Further, if he were to play against quicker teams and get ran around b/c he is too slow, that would be bad for the team and he would be contributing nothing. Also he would probably lose "confidence" rather and gain it. I think Majerus is doing a good job with Brett right now by only playing him when he has the best chance to match up well and contribute the most.

What good does it do anyone, including Brett, to throw him into a situation he is not yet ready to handle. Using your logic, the St. Louis Cardinals should play all of their draft picks without making them work their way up through the minor leagues. Hey we drafted them right? Why are they not playing?

I don't mean to be sarcastic, but Coach can't just play a kid because he is afraid of him transferring. Brett has to earn his minutes

What makes us think Brett might tansfer? Did Ian transfer when he didn't play much as a freshman big? As Brett improves he'll play more regardless o matchups as he'll have the experience and skill level to be more able to dictate his game to oponents. Right now he's not able, relax let Brett learn. I do see though why you would think RM doesn't know what he's doing developing bigs

Thompson is contributing to the team even by not playing. He contributes in practice and that is where he is going to develop. The team practices everyday and they only play a game once or twice a week. A lot of learning and developing happens in practice.

Further, if he were to play against quicker teams and get ran around b/c he is too slow, that would be bad for the team and he would be contributing nothing. Also he would probably lose "confidence" rather and gain it. I think Majerus is doing a good job with Brett right now by only playing him when he has the best chance to match up well and contribute the most.

If BT was the only big sitting I would complain as he rebounds and blocks out as well as anyone except Conklin who also sat but 5 minutes in the last game. People post that KL and TL are not playing because of a rift with coach RM. That is total bull. Did anyone else get a family scholarship that lets your kid brother be there for your senior year? BT, WR, BC are all works in progress. If it happens that BE is laying off the fattening food and drink and

actually showing up as hyped then he takes minutes from everyone. WR is not the total answer as he was getting pushed all over the place for the first 5 minutes of the game. We need enforcer types and Willie may out quick or out leap or outrun another big but he is not the first guy you want in a scrum.

One of the delights of the present coaching staff is that they have many ideas and actually look for mismatches or try to create them. I always felt with

Brad and Romar that it was up to the kids to play on the floor. More and more-maybe since his technical it seems RM is more committed to this team during the game and almost shows some emotion. In the beginning (last year) I got the impression his system was more important than any one game

Majerus didn't forget how to develop big men, and in case you've forgotten, he has a pretty good track record in that department. I am sure the coaches are working hard during practice to help Brett develop the skills that will serve him well in the next three years.

While it may not be the best comparison, Dexter Pittman from Texas only averaged about 5 minutes and 3 points a game his freshman year. He's now a junior and is turning into a solid big who is contributing about 15 minutes a game and knows his role. He dropped 25 on Missouri this week and will probably garner some 2nd team all Big 12 pre-season votes next year.

IMO, Brett is never going to be a 17/10 type player, especially in Majerus' system. He needs to continue to work hard, improve his range and low post moves. If he does, he'll have his nights where he drops 20 on some teams.

Majerus didn't forget how to develop big men, and in case you've forgotten, he has a pretty good track record in that department. I am sure the coaches are working hard during practice to help Brett develop the skills that will serve him well in the next three years.

While it may not be the best comparison, Dexter Pittman from Texas only averaged about 5 minutes and 3 points a game his freshman year. He's now a junior and is turning into a solid big who is contributing about 15 minutes a game and knows his role. He dropped 25 on Missouri this week and will probably garner some 2nd team all Big 12 pre-season votes next year.

IMO, Brett is never going to be a 17/10 type player, especially in Majerus' system. He needs to continue to work hard, improve his range and low post moves. If he does, he'll have his nights where he drops 20 on some teams.

I see where you are coming from, but this is a team made up of underclassmen. If Brett doesn't play and get better and some big comes in next year and dominates and sucks up all BT's PT, then he will look elsewhere.

There's a great chance that BT could be the sleeping giant of Majerus' recruiting class, but we'll never know unless the kid logs some minutes out there. We're not expecting to challenge Xavier for the A-10 crown...why not use BT more. Confidence. He knows this is college basketball and you might get schooled one night, but like a Mariano Rivera-type athlete, you can't have a good memory -- you've got to put last night behind you after you watch game footage with the GA's and Assistant Coaches, work on the things you need improvement on -- and then go out and dominate. I think BT has a lot of potential and will be better than Voyoukas, but he's gotta see more floor.

I always felt with

Brad and Romar that it was up to the kids to play on the floor. More and more-maybe since his technical it seems RM is more committed to this team during the game and almost shows some emotion. In the beginning (last year) I got the impression his system was more important than any one game

Good point. RM wants a team that will match up well no matter who we play.. We never had that option before.

When a Kenny Frease from X or or a Kurt Huelsman from UD shows up, you need a BT on the floor. Now when you have these athletic type teams like Temple or Duquesne, you need WR.

BTW, Brett had a very nice game against Kenny Frease.

Putting Brett in a situation he isnt ready for will wreck his confidence and might stunt his progress. Rick knows what he is doing.

I don't think so. He isn't on the Jay-Vee team. Most kids who are competitive enough to garner and earn a D-1 scholarship are the type of athletes who use discouragement and failure as building blocks to improve.

You've just come to accept and submit to mediocrity from all the years of watching Soderberg's recruits that you don't think that Brett Thompson has the makeup to become a star for this program. I'm all for using my scholarship athletes if they deserve playing time, but you can't just make excuses, or then Brett will start to believe he isn't athletic enough to guard Barack Obama.

I don't think so. He isn't on the Jay-Vee team. Most kids who are competitive enough to garner and earn a D-1 scholarship are the type of athletes who use discouragement and failure as building blocks to improve.

You've just come to accept and submit to mediocrity from all the years of watching Soderberg's recruits that you don't think that Brett Thompson has the makeup to become a star for this program. I'm all for using my scholarship athletes if they deserve playing time, but you can't just make excuses, or then Brett will start to believe he isn't athletic enough to guard Barack Obama.

Um ok? I think Brett Thompson has the chance to be a very good center in the A-10 his junior and senior years. He isnt ready now. Just a few months ago he was playing against schools where their center was 6'1, he isnt ready right now. If he was 6'11 240 and ready to contribute right away, he wouldnt be at SLU. If Soderberg wouldnt of screwed us with this roster Thompson wouldnt even have gotten a chance to play because he would of been red shirted.

There's a great chance that BT could be the sleeping giant of Majerus' recruiting class, but we'll never know unless the kid logs some minutes out there. We're not expecting to challenge Xavier for the A-10 crown...why not use BT more. Confidence. He knows this is college basketball and you might get schooled one night, but like a Mariano Rivera-type athlete, you can't have a good memory -- you've got to put last night behind you after you watch game footage with the GA's and Assistant Coaches, work on the things you need improvement on -- and then go out and dominate. I think BT has a lot of potential and will be better than Voyoukas, but he's gotta see more floor.

Metz, I agree with you in one respect, BT should definitely see the floor when we are getting blown out or blowing teams out (e.g. Fordham). Otherwise, I have no issue with him getting spot minutes when he doesn't match up well and additional minutes when the matchup is more favorable.

Metz, I have asked Steve to ban you because I do not take kindly to being threatened (in this case via pm), particularly by trolls.

I didn't threaten you. Is wanting to meet you to discuss Billiken basketball a threat? Why don't you send me a PM instead of parading your self-righteousness for all to see.

I didn't do anything! What the hell is wrong with you. It's been like 2-3 months and Nark is just afraid of me anyway.

The good news is that banning you will likely bring a few quality posters back to the board.

Metz, I have asked Steve to ban you because I do not take kindly to being threatened (in this case via pm), particularly by trolls.

What' this about?

Big surprise. Congrats Metz. You controlled yourself for all of 2-3 weeks. Well done.

Is this necessary?

I didn't threaten you. Is wanting to meet you to discuss Billiken basketball a threat? Why don't you send me a PM instead of parading your self-righteousness for all to see.

??????

I didn't do anything! What the hell is wrong with you. It's been like 2-3 months and Nark is just afraid of me anyway.

These are the types of threads that turn people off on this board. If you remove all of these types of threads the board would lose half of it's bytes.

This tread started out about basketball but went down hill as usually happens.

Guess I have to return to using mark forum as read until sanity returns.

:lol:

Don't be a school girl ***** nark. I am sure Steve has more important things in his life to worry about than you feeling threatened by Metz. Metz says things he shouldn't and takes things too far, but the last thing I would question is his passion for his alma mater and the Billikens. He is certainly not a troll. He says things that often rub me the wrong way, but I know his intentions are good.

These are the types of threads that turn people off on this board. If you remove all of these types of threads the board would lose half of it's bytes.

This tread started out about basketball but went down hill as usually happens.

The problem is that there really is not a whole lot of things to talk about with regards to SLU athletics. We have a currently mediocre basketball team that has been that way for the recent past and that is it. We do not have a football program fresh off of signing day or a legitimate baseball team gearing up for their season. All we have is a basketball team that is consistently slighty above average and now we get hardly any news from that team. There are a slight few posters that consistently post on this board, but numerous others that read the site, but don't contribute because there is so little to contribute to at this point. I think that will all change soon with the program seemingly on the cusp of good things, but at this point I can definitely see how most threads turn off of topic relatively quickly.

or look at the two illini bigs. both were second thought players last year. now they are the backbone of the team imo.

i have no problem with the minutes and handling of our bigs by rickma during games. thompson has done nothing to demonstrate he deserves more minutes than he has gotten. and before someone suggests that rickma should be making teams "matchup" to him rather than vice versa, if thompson was playing power inside getting multiple dunks, blocks and double digit rebounds every night that might be a point to ponder. however the truth is if anything brett plays soft yet. i would bet by 2011 or 12 that will change, but he has to show that. until then, the soft inside guy that can touch the top of the backboard and run fast up and down the floor obviously deserves the minutes that rickma has been giving him.

or look at the two illini bigs. both were second thought players last year. now they are the backbone of the team imo.

i have no problem with the minutes and handling of our bigs by rickma during games. thompson has done nothing to demonstrate he deserves more minutes than he has gotten. and before someone suggests that rickma should be making teams "matchup" to him rather than vice versa, if thompson was playing power inside getting multiple dunks, blocks and double digit rebounds every night that might be a point to ponder. however the truth is if anything brett plays soft yet. i would bet by 2011 or 12 that will change, but he has to show that. until then, the soft inside guy that can touch the top of the backboard and run fast up and down the floor obviously deserves the minutes that rickma has been giving him.

Exactly. Very few legitimate big men walk in and have big contributions as freshman. Even the kid at Xavier, Kenny Frease, that was a top 100 recruit has struggled to be a consistent factor. It would have been nice to be able to have brought all of our freshmen bigs on slowly, but unfortunately that was not an option with our lack of depth in the post. Hopefully Brett is treating practice like it his game day and trying to take it to the starters.