Missouri Valley - Mountain West Challenge

Just received word from a source at Bradley University that the wagons will roll west from Peoria to Provo (no word if the caravan will stop in Nauvoo) when the Cougars of Brigham Young University host the Braves.

From the official presser:

Bradley will visit BYU Nov. 13 to tip off the inaugural Mountain West Missouri Valley Challenge, according to an announcement from the Missouri Valley Conference office this afternoon. The two leagues have announced a four-year agreement to match teams from both teams, beginning with the 2009-10 campaign.

Ok, so the Big Ten/ACC challenge is great, we all love that the ACC is 10-0 since 1999. To the folks at the Big Ten media offices in Chicago -- time to cut your losses. No one likes to see Iowa go to Cameron Indoor and lose by 30.

The SEC and the Big East started their challenge in 2007, I believe, and now the Pac-10 and the Big XII just tipped off this year, so where does that leave the A-10?

I can see it now:

The A-10/Ivy League Challenge? All games at the Palestra!

The A-10/HBCU Challenge -- SLU- Harris Stowe - the Cross-the-Street-Classic or check out XU2, as Xavier plays Xavier.

The A-10/Sunbelt Conference Challenge - Get some sun in beautiful Western Kentucky

The A-10/American East Challenge -- How many SUNY's can you beat in a week?

Great. Just great. Chris May, get us out of the A-10.

Just received word from a source at Bradley University that the wagons will roll east this time from Provo to Peoria when the Cougars of Brigham Young University head to Carver Arena in Nov. 2009, to face the Braves.

Bradley will visit BYU Nov. 13 to tip off the inaugural Mountain West Missouri Valley Challenge, according to an announcement from the Missouri Valley Conference office this afternoon. The two leagues have announced a four-year agreement to match teams from both teams, beginning with the 2009-10 campaign.

Ok, so the Big Ten/ACC challenge is great, we all love that the ACC is 10-0 since 1999. To the folks at the Big Ten media offices in Chicago -- time to cut your losses. No one likes to see Iowa go to Cameron Indoor and lose by 30.

The SEC and the Big East started their challenge in 2007, I believe, and now the Pac-10 and the Big XII just tipped off this year, so where does that leave the A-10?

I can see it now:

The A-10/HBCU Challenge -- SLU- Harris Stowe - the Cross-the-Street-Classic or check out XU2, as Xavier plays Xavier.

The A-10/Sunbelt Conference Challenge - Get some sun in beautiful Western Kentucky

An A-10 - Horizon League challenge might not be too bad. Playing Butler, UW-Milwakee, or Cleveland St. certainly beats playing UMBC or NC A&T. I also would not mind seeing an A-10 - CUSA challenge. I don't think either would ever happen though.

Just received word from a source at Bradley University that the wagons will roll west from Peoria to Provo (no word if the caravan will stop in Nauvoo) when the Cougars of Brigham Young University host the Braves.

I can see it now:

Don't know if I agree with you on getting out of the A-10 (where would we go), but agree with your sentiments regarding the lack of a suitable conference challenge competition for the A-10.

Are we just gambling on the Big East folding, then hoping that the mythological Catholic Conference will form?

Would the division of the conference be like the choirs of angels?

Notre Dame is out in front of the Seraphim League with 9 wins, while the Saint Louis Billikens look to be on a collision course with the Irish in the Conference Tournament as they lead the Cherubim League with 10 wins.

-Sean McDonough, who will somehow call every game played in the Catholic Conference.

So we are supposed to be jealous of this Mountain West/Missouri Valley deal? Can't wait for that Indiana State/Colorado State game :rolleyes: We all know the A-10 is not the greatest, but come on. You gotta do better than this Metz.

I'm just saying, even the lowly MVC and MWC are getting some interesting non-con games scheduled. How about playing the WAC and painting our court blue when Boise State comes in, or traveling to Lafayette, Louisiana in early November to play the Cajuns in a A-10/SunBelt clash of titans? When we play North Carolina AT&T (the official wireless provider of Roy Williams) and Savannah State, our RPI crashes like CitiBank. Southern Illinois, record and all, got to play at Madison Square Freaking Garden this year. The last time anyone from Carbondale went to MSG, it was to clean up the feces from the Ringling Bros. circus.

It'll just be a matter of time before Xavier leaves for greener pastures and then we will REALLY be up the creek without a paddle in the dormant A-10.

Who knows where we will go if we leave though. We have to work with what we have and get a TV deal done...until something else better comes along.

East meets West.The A-10 -WCC challenge.Okay metropolitan catholic/private schools,basically this is what both conferences are.The problem would be a numbers thing though,since they only have 8 schools,what to do with the leftover schools?

To make the A-10 -WCC challenge even more appealing,to cut travel cost from coast to coast,play all games at the beatuiful new Chaifetz Arena in St. Louis. Think about the amount of money that would bring into the city.

To make the A-10 -WCC challenge even more appealing,to cut travel cost from coast to coast,play all games at the beatuiful new Chaifetz Arena in St. Louis. Think about the amount of money that would bring into the city.

I think a CUSA/A10 challenge would be better then with the WCC.

Here are my reasons>

A10 has 14 teams and CUSA has 12. Not close but better then 8 teams the WCC only has.

CUSA is a RPI top ten conference and the WCC is not. This would give the challenge more creditability.

Don't get me wrong, I love the WCC. I like the schools (some of them like Santa Clara and USF have some great basketball tradition) and I like the packed little gyms they play in. I would think Seattle will be coming back to the WCC by next year or the year after. Another school that has some great basketball tradition.

I'm just saying, even the lowly MVC and MWC are getting some interesting non-con games scheduled. How about playing the WAC and painting our court blue when Boise State comes in, or traveling to Lafayette, Louisiana in early November to play the Cajuns in a A-10/SunBelt clash of titans? When we play North Carolina AT&T (the official wireless provider of Roy Williams) and Savannah State, our RPI crashes like CitiBank. Southern Illinois, record and all, got to play at Madison Square Freaking Garden this year. The last time anyone from Carbondale went to MSG, it was to clean up the feces from the Ringling Bros. circus.

:lol: Metz you won me over with that line

Tarheel I think you`re right with a possible C-USA/A-10 challenge with the numbers being closer.IF this were to happen,I hope they would pit us and Charlotte against former C-USA members(Tulane,East Carolina,UAB,USM,Memphis,etc.) rather than the newer( UTEP,Tulsa,Rice) members.

X is not going to bolt from the A10 - they do not play football and therefore no other conf will take them. The only conf that would consider them would be a BB only one and there are not any of those around that are better then the A10 except for the Big East side and they will not expand.

Basically yes, we are waiting for the Big East to break up or for someone else to take the lead and form another BB only conf of top teams. I am not sure why X, Dayton, and SLU do not form a group of ADs to start working on a new conf of BB only teams in the Midwest - they might be able to pick off Marquette and DePaul and probably Butler. They would only have to find 2 more interested teams to pull this off who play good BB. I am not saying this would be easy but it is possible and perhaps as likely as a Big East break up - at least we would have some control over our destiny this way.

Let`s see if we start the Midwest 6. For spits and giggles SLU,Dayton,X,Marquette,DePaul,and Butler.Ask Notre Dame,but they`ll say no. Okay so 6 teams are to little,but play each other 3 times,making 15 conference games.At some point travel will become an issue.Won`t happen,sure miss the good old fashioned 8 team conferences.

Let`s see if we start the Midwest 6. For spits and giggles SLU,Dayton,X,Marquette,DePaul,and Butler.Ask Notre Dame,but they`ll say no. Okay so 6 teams are to little,but play each other 3 times,making 15 conference games.At some point travel will become an issue.Won`t happen,sure miss the good old fashioned 8 team conferences.

You might interest Creighton in this scenario. Now you only need one more.

You might interest Creighton in this scenario. Now you only need one more.

Creighton would be fine but I really think you need 8 to make it viable. I am not real sure you can get Marquette and DePaul either at this time but it is worth working on from an informal discussion point of view. I am sure if the Big East breaks up then Marquette and DePaul would be interested depending on who else is invovled.

It'll just be a matter of time before Xavier leaves for greener pastures and then we will REALLY be up the creek without a paddle in the dormant A-10.

Who knows where we will go if we leave though. We have to work with what we have and get a TV deal done...until something else better comes along.

I don't know if last night counted but Mark Wright recently mentioned that 9 of the last 13 games were to be telvised; I was not happy to hear 5 of the nine would be home games as I prefer we sell tickets rather than TV audiences at home

X is not going to bolt from the A10 - they do not play football and therefore no other conf will take them. The only conf that would consider them would be a BB only one and there are not any of those around that are better then the A10 except for the Big East side and they will not expand.

Basically yes, we are waiting for the Big East to break up or for someone else to take the lead and form another BB only conf of top teams. I am not sure why X, Dayton, and SLU do not form a group of ADs to start working on a new conf of BB only teams in the Midwest - they might be able to pick off Marquette and DePaul and probably Butler. They would only have to find 2 more interested teams to pull this off who play good BB. I am not saying this would be easy but it is possible and perhaps as likely as a Big East break up - at least we would have some control over our destiny this way.

It would cost too much for Marquette and DePaul to leave the Big East. In the aftermath of the shuffling (ahem: realignment), I believe most of the affected conferences established exorbitant penalties for leaving the conference (and I'm certain the Big East did), and this proposed new conference wouldn't have anything to offer the schools to offset their losses. They'll stay in the Big East until the conference implodes.

Before you badmouth other conferences you should first realize that SLU is a wannabee in a second rate conference. A better fit for the Dr. Seuss mascot would be STLCC, Mineral Area College, Jefferson Community College, and possibly Southeastern Illinois Junior College.

No doubt!

Dr. Seuss mascot...awesome. How did you come up with that?

Take that SLU!

Before you badmouth other conferences you should first realize that SLU is a wannabee in a second rate conference. A better fit for the Dr. Seuss mascot would be STLCC, Mineral Area College, Jefferson Community College, and possibly Southeastern Illinois Junior College.

Don't forget the Ragin' Woodies of John Wood Community College in Quincy!!!

No doubt!

Dr. Seuss mascot...awesome. How did you come up with that?

Take that SLU!

that was good. SillyBilly is indeed silly and witty also. Oops, I forgot funny. Maybe he/she should change their screen name to funnywittysillybilly

any chance you can tell us if there are other boards you post on, I'd hate to miss out on any of your funny, witty, silly banter Billy.