Fantastic Game

SluSignGuy

I am surprised by the lack of posts about tonight's game. Maybe it was the late tip, but even though this was UMBC, SLU put on a show tonight. So I will do my best Billikan impression ;)

I have not seen a majority of Tommie's games in his career, but I have seen a number. And in the first half at least, I don't think I have seen Tommie play like a NBA player as much as he did tonight. There have been so many times that I have listened on the radio to Earl saying Tommie needs to attack the basket more, and tonight he did. It wasn't to the extent of a Marque Perry attacking the basket and drawing the foul, but Liddell was able to get some creative layups.

Also, I do not think I have ever seen a player become a fan favorite so quickly like Willie Reed. He gets the crowd into the game, and I think that lifts the team. Oh, and 18 points in 21 minutes is just flat out impressive. Before I saw him in person more, I sort of envisioned a SLU version of Pops Mensa-Bonsu (GW player), but Reed is a little less athletic, but much stronger and more comfortable with the ball. For the season this guy is shooting 58% from the floor.

Another poster mentioned this, but Eberhardt is finding his role. He was our first four points tonight (although he let up the first four points too). He knows he can hit the 8 - 10 foot jumper, and it is a good shot for him as he is usually guarded by a bigger guy, so he draws him out a little more.

With the rest of the Billikids, I am just excited to see them grow. I don't know the stats exactly, but there seemed to be a considerable amount of time this game where Lisch and Liddell both were not on the floor. Lisch only played 29 minutes (which seems low for him), and Liddell 35. The young guys seemed to be able to handle themselves well. I think Cassity passed up a couple too many threes, but the minutes from Thompson were solid. He is a freshman big man. Towards the end of his sophomore year, it is going to be a DELIGHT to have Thompson's size on the floor. God it is great to have big men, so our small forwards can be small forwards. (I saw Luke Meyer's dad at the game tonight I think...still wonder what could have been if Luke could have played the 3).

The two fears I have about this team are free throw shooting, and who is our threat from 3 when Lisch and Liddell leave. I think Cotto could have really filled that role. Lisch and Liddell are the only guys shooting over 30% from 3 this year. I am somewhat surprised we are shooting 71% this year, as it seems like we miss even more than that. However, even that number is heavily weighted by Lisch (shooting 85%, Tommie is next best at 73%).

We are going to struggle this year against some of the better teams. But it is very hard to deny that this is the most talented Billiken team that we have seen since '98. Majerus, keep swimming those laps. I want you around a long time!

I am surprised by the lack of posts about tonight's game. Maybe it was the late tip, but even though this was UMBC, SLU put on a show tonight. So I will do my best Billikan impression ;)

I have not seen a majority of Tommie's games in his career, but I have seen a number. And in the first half at least, I don't think I have seen Tommie play like a NBA player as much as he did tonight. There have been so many times that I have listened on the radio to Earl saying Tommie needs to attack the basket more, and tonight he did. It wasn't to the extent of a Marque Perry attacking the basket and drawing the foul, but Liddell was able to get some creative layups.

Also, I do not think I have ever seen a player become a fan favorite so quickly like Willie Reed. He gets the crowd into the game, and I think that lifts the team. Oh, and 18 points in 21 minutes is just flat out impressive. Before I saw him in person more, I sort of envisioned a SLU version of Pops Mensa-Bonsu (GW player), but Reed is a little less athletic, but much stronger and more comfortable with the ball. For the season this guy is shooting 58% from the floor.

Another poster mentioned this, but Eberhardt is finding his role. He was our first four points tonight (although he let up the first four points too). He knows he can hit the 8 - 10 foot jumper, and it is a good shot for him as he is usually guarded by a bigger guy, so he draws him out a little more.

With the rest of the Billikids, I am just excited to see them grow. I don't know the stats exactly, but there seemed to be a considerable amount of time this game where Lisch and Liddell both were not on the floor. Lisch only played 29 minutes (which seems low for him), and Liddell 35. The young guys seemed to be able to handle themselves well. I think Cassity passed up a couple too many threes, but the minutes from Thompson were solid. He is a freshman big man. Towards the end of his sophomore year, it is going to be a DELIGHT to have Thompson's size on the floor. God it is great to have big men, so our small forwards can be small forwards. (I saw Luke Meyer's dad at the game tonight I think...still wonder what could have been if Luke could have played the 3).

The two fears I have about this team are free throw shooting, and who is our threat from 3 when Lisch and Liddell leave. I think Cotto could have really filled that role. Lisch and Liddell are the only guys shooting over 30% from 3 this year. I am somewhat surprised we are shooting 71% this year, as it seems like we miss even more than that. However, even that number is heavily weighted by Lisch (shooting 85%, Tommie is next best at 73%).

We are going to struggle this year against some of the better teams. But it is very hard to deny that this is the most talented Billiken team that we have seen since '98. Majerus, keep swimming those laps. I want you around a long time!

SSG

Agree completely. Loved your sign for Willie, Will he block?, will he dunk?, Willie Reed! The alley oop that ended with the behind the head dunk was one I thought I would never see by a Billken.

This game scared me, and was a game we in the past would have looked past and lost. This team's RPI was higher than ours, they were in the NCAA field last year, and had a genuine star to lead them. We won due to our depth at big men, and their athleticism. Willie driving to the basket with a spin move? Conklin coming across the middle, missing a shot, then getting his own rebound to put it in? Pinch me!

I know things are not as good as they seem after a win, and not as bad after a loss, but I must admit I feel good today.

mhg

Signguy, what the hell is wrong with your GW team? Losing to Vermont, Hawaii and 1-10 Coppin St. in 3 straight games is downright bad.

. I think Cassity passed up a couple too many threes, but the minutes from Thompson were solid.

-can someone help me on this one, i noticed this a couple of times last night...does Cassity too often catch the ball and the first move is with both hands on the ball going to the floor, bent over, not in a triple threat position?

-my wonder is does this happen more often than not which impacts his ablity to catch and shoot, drive, or pass quickly?

-or is it a function of where the passes to him are thrown forcing him to catch low?

Number 32 on UMBC is a tremendous player. He was a real gamer, and the best player on the floor last night.

I thought some of the calls against UMBC were not good. There were several touch fouls called in the 3rd and 4th quarter on their big men. The fouls did not appear to be very egregious, at least from my seat near the band. I can understand why some of the UMBC players were getting frustrated with the officiating. That doesn't excuse, however, the tirades the UMBC coach had throughout the night against his own players and the officials. I would not want to play for such a coach given his outbursts of anger. We are fortunate that Majerus does not express very often negative words or body language to the officials or his players during the game.

It was not clear to me exactly why the official gave the UMBC coach the first technical foul. It appeared to me that the coach was not taking an inordinate amount of time to make his substitution, but apparently the official did not like the coach's attitude as he walked his bench. Does anyone know exactly what happened?

One last thing - why did UMBC only have 9 players on the bench and only 7 players played until the last minute or two of the game? Their players were worn out by the end of the game when both teams were playing sloppy.

Number 32 on UMBC is a tremendous player. He was a real gamer, and the best player on the floor last night.

I thought some of the calls against UMBC were not good. There were several touch fouls called in the 3rd and 4th quarter on their big men. The fouls did not appear to be very egregious, at least from my seat near the band. I can understand why some of the UMBC players were getting frustrated with the officiating. That doesn't excuse, however, the tirades the UMBC coach had throughout the night against his own players and the officials. I would not want to play for such a coach given his outbursts of anger. We are fortunate that Majerus does not express very often negative words or body language to the officials or his players during the game.

It was not clear to me exactly why the official gave the UMBC coach the first technical foul. It appeared to me that the coach was not taking an inordinate amount of time to make his substitution, but apparently the official did not like the coach's attitude as he walked his bench. Does anyone know exactly what happened?

One last thing - why did UMBC only have 9 players on the bench and only 7 players played until the last minute or two of the game? Their players were worn out by the end of the game when both teams were playing sloppy.

I certainly thought we got the better of the calls most of the game, (the way it should be at home) but they were an incredibly dirty team. Picks set with elbows out, flagrant shoves away from the ball and the refs. I think the refs just got tired of the way they were playing and made them pay. I don't blame them, I wouldn't listen to any crap from a coach who obviously teaches his team to play dirty. Setting a good hard pick is one thing, but using your elbows to hit players as they come through the pick you set is another.

The best player on the floor last night was Tommie. I think we are seeing Tommie begin to play the all around game and become the player he has the abilty to be. Both defensively and offensively.

I am surprised by the lack of posts about tonight's game. Maybe it was the late tip, but even though this was UMBC, SLU put on a show tonight. So I will do my best Billikan impression :lol:

I apologize for the extra copies of the post. Clicked the wrong button!

I agree on the lack of positive posts but maybe people are gone for the holidays.

For those who were wondering about the Majerus offense, the UMBC game shows what we can do if we execute and hit some shots. I think there is a direct correlation between our great performance last night and the fact that the team has been able to practice a lot over the last week.

We have always heard that Majerus is a great big mans coach but to watch our three freshmen big men grow and get better is really amazing. All three are much better than they were three months ago and Willie is almost overconfident. His upside is massive-- his reeks of confidence and he is still a pretty skinny freshman. Conklin continues to amaze me in that he is just so clever and he gets a hand on so many balls. The stats do not come close to showing his total contribution.

It would be hard to remember a better offensive performance over the past 5-10 years where we did not shoot lights out from three and hit a huge percentage of our free throws. It really was a pleasure to watch.

A final thought--KM is a fantastic defender against clever guards who want to play off picks and hit the 3 ball. In practice, the short guard Green was draining shots from 30 feet like they were layups but in the game KM, and at times Kevin, played him super tough and our big men were hedging beautifully. This game and the BC game are evidence of how excellent KM is in guarding outside shooters. He is a big reason why we are leading the nation in 3 point field goal defense!

I apologize for the extra copies of the post. Clicked the wrong button!

I agree on the lack of positive posts but maybe people are gone for the holidays.

For those who were wondering about the Majerus offense, the UMBC game shows what we can do if we execute and hit some shots. I think there is a direct correlation between our great performance last night and the fact that the team has been able to practice a lot over the last week.

I know you're not a proponent of the game-day thread, but we covered some of this stuff in that thread. I recommend you read this one. It was entirely positive. If the team plays well, the fans react positively.

I took care of the posts.

The best player on the floor last night was Tommie. I think we are seeing Tommie begin to play the all around game and become the player he has the abilty to be. Both defensively and offensively.

I agree completely. Tommie does so many great things on a basketball court that may not even get noticed in the box score (and he can light up a box score).

I agree completely. Tommie does so many great things on a basketball court that may not even get noticed in the box score (and he can light up a box score).

Over the last 6 games Tommie stats are as follows

15.6ppg - 47% fg - 39% 3pt - 75% ft - 6.5 rbpg - 18 assists - 11 t/o's.

Add to that the fact that he has been consistently praised for his defensive effort the last few weeks, Tommie is really becoming an outstanding all around player.