UPDATE: 23 of 1000 student tickets left

GOSLU68

I agree, but it's still a huge improvement over the soccer park days.

Legion 1818 is awesome - they didn't seem quite as strong last year as the year before, but that might have just been at the games I went to.

BTW, I'm kind of surprised we don't have more students posting here on the board. Just a ramdom observation.

Skip is correct in his post. I'd actually say a few hundred is often times generous for student turnout at SLU soccer games. SLU draws nice crowds for big games in soccer, but it isn't driven by student turnout.

The student turnout for the first game of the year with the cheer contest or whatever it is called is excellent. It is nothing short of embarrassing that these people mostly leave at half-time. That says a lot right there. If you are going to bother to attend, and spend the entire first half cheering, ...is it too much to ask to stay for the whole game? Is it too much to ask them to come back to other games? I'm curious what their incentive is to come in the first place?

I'd say Legion 1818 gets about 50 a game for good games, perhaps slightly more on occasion and other times less. But at least the ones that do it try, for 90 minutes.

Skip is correct in his post. I'd actually say a few hundred is often times generous for student turnout at SLU soccer games. SLU draws nice crowds for big games in soccer, but it isn't driven by student turnout.

The student turnout for the first game of the year with the cheer contest or whatever it is called is excellent. It is nothing short of embarrassing that these people mostly leave at half-time. That says a lot right there. If you are going to bother to attend, and spend the entire first half cheering, ...is it too much to ask to stay for the whole game? Is it too much to ask them to come back to other games? I'm curious what their incentive is to come in the first place?

I'd say Legion 1818 gets about 50 a game for good games, perhaps slightly more on occasion and other times less. But at least the ones that do it try, for 90 minutes.

Apples and oranges: most soccer fans are committed to accept games with scores close to 0-0 in regulation. the excitement of a score at nearly every possession is much more suitable to the immediate gratification demanded by the younger fan.

Soccer has long been a dominant sport for SLU but the fan base does not grow. Collegiate basketball is the ultimate choice for student energy levels-getting them in the building is the obvious first step

I think the fact the students are having to pay a little money for tickets is a positive. IMO, if they have a little skin in the game they'll be more likely to show up.

Don't underestimate how hard it was for a student to be a fan at Scottrade.....even though the tickets were free.

The buses were nasty and inconvenient. Parking was expensive as were the concessions.

The convenience of Chaifetz will be a plus, and the pride in "our" building will be amazing...it will transform school spirit.

I hope most of those tickets were sold to freshmen, so they can "grow up" with this team.

If the cynical upperclassmen want to join the fun, thats fine...but they are not needed to generate the atmosphere we need.

Don't underestimate how hard it was for a student to be a fan at Scottrade.....even though the tickets were free.

The buses were nasty and inconvenient. Parking was expensive as were the concessions.

The convenience of Chaifetz will be a plus, and the pride in "our" building will be amazing...it will transform school spirit.

I hope most of those tickets were sold to freshmen, so they can "grow up" with this team.

If the cynical upperclassmen want to join the fun, thats fine...but they are not needed to generate the atmosphere we need.

How does Marquette attract students to the games?

I'm pretty confident that an on-campus arena will improve student turnout, but if the crowds are still weak after a few games or a couple of seasons there will be no more excuses.

When I attended SLU the games were at the old Kiel and then the Areana. Students didn't go the games because no one cared...even though the team got to be pretty decent by the end. The rank and file student who lived on campus had an attitude of "why go to a game when I can go to Clark's".

I remember being one of a couple of dozen students at many SLU games.

How does Marquette attract students to the games?

I'm pretty confident that an on-campus arena will improve student turnout, but if the crowds are still weak after a few games or a couple of seasons there will be no more excuses.

When I attended SLU the games were at the old Kiel and then the Areana. Students didn't go the games because no one cared...even though the team got to be pretty decent by the end. The rank and file student who lived on campus had an attitude of "why go to a game when I can go to Clark's".

I remember being one of a couple of dozen students at many SLU games.

The Bradley Center is within walking distance of the Marquette campus....they also parlayed their final four appearance into increased student interest.

Tom Crean also made a conscious effort into building student and fan interest.

Here's a quote:

"Crean is also known to excel in public relations, charming alumni and press. Crean started the tradition of Midnight Madness at Marquette, which was seen as an immediate success. Between 1999 and 2006, the team saw a 70% overall increase in attendance, three total attendance records and 1.5 million fans passing through the turnstiles. According to former Marquette athletic director Bill Cords, "He's done so many things outside of basketball for the good of the community and the good of people in the state." Crean also participates in Al's Memorial Run and Walk for Children's Hospital, a charity event started by former Marquette coach Al McGuire."

Hopefully our athletic department can learn a few lessons....WIN and make an effort to connect with the community and the fans will come. One without the other will not bring about the results we need.

Serious question for current on-campus students. When I was on campus 10 years ago the general attitude seemed to be that on-campus was just a convienience to make it to class easier, it seemed like most everyone returned home on weekends. Very few social activities revolved or even included campus. Has this environment changed or has everyone been waiting for this arena to spark the interest. I know the area around campus has improved social atmosphere, has this included the campus?

If the student ID has to be used for the student who bought the tix to enter the arena then can someone explain to me how another student can use that person's tix if they are unable to attend? Is it simply a matter of leaving the seat empty? after all when I can not get to a game I give my tix away so someone is at least enjoying the game and filling the seat. Empty seats is not what I would think you would want. Maybe I just don't understand how ID thing works.

Serious question for current on-campus students. When I was on campus 10 years ago the general attitude seemed to be that on-campus was just a convienience to make it to class easier, it seemed like most everyone returned home on weekends. Very few social activities revolved or even included campus. Has this environment changed or has everyone been waiting for this arena to spark the interest. I know the area around campus has improved social atmosphere, has this included the campus?

Coming from someone from out of state, the atmosphere has definitely changed. I actually have no desire to go home except for over breaks, and almost everyone that I know, other than a few exceptions that live close and have significant others at home, feel the same. With restaurants creeping up all around, retreats to go on, and apartments surrounding campus, I have very seldom been bored. Starting in the next few years, both freshmen and sophomores will be required to live on campus, and I think that this will contribute to student life even more. Also, we have big concerts twice a year, and comedians and presentations and hypnotists etc. it seems almost every week. Living on campus (or in the surrounding apartments) imo is a necessity.

The Bradley Center is within walking distance of the Marquette campus....they also parlayed their final four appearance into increased student interest.

Tom Crean also made a conscious effort into building student and fan interest.

Here's a quote:

"Crean is also known to excel in public relations, charming alumni and press. Crean started the tradition of Midnight Madness at Marquette, which was seen as an immediate success. Between 1999 and 2006, the team saw a 70% overall increase in attendance, three total attendance records and 1.5 million fans passing through the turnstiles. According to former Marquette athletic director Bill Cords, "He's done so many things outside of basketball for the good of the community and the good of people in the state." Crean also participates in Al's Memorial Run and Walk for Children's Hospital, a charity event started by former Marquette coach Al McGuire."

Hopefully our athletic department can learn a few lessons....WIN and make an effort to connect with the community and the fans will come. One without the other will not bring about the results we need.

Wow, a coach and athletic department who try to drum up interest in the program. What a concept.

True, the bradley center is about a half mile from campus. When I was at SLU 99% of the students wouldn't have walked that far!

It is my understanding that there won't be reserved seats in the student section.

That is not the point of my question. Student seating is reserved in the sense that the tix are at least now being sold for the bleacher section designated for students. My question was - if two kids wanted to share the season tix for students how could they do that or if I was a student and went home for winter holiday how could I let another student use my tix. After all, the tix was paid for and is only being used once.

marquette's been a top notch program for the past 6-8 years. before that, in the 1990s, no students went. it all comes down to winning.

Wow, a coach and athletic department who try to drum up interest in the program. What a concept.

True, the bradley center is about a half mile from campus. When I was at SLU 99% of the students wouldn't have walked that far!

That is not the point of my question. Student seating is reserved in the sense that the tix are at least now being sold for the bleacher section designated for students. My question was - if two kids wanted to share the season tix for students how could they do that or if I was a student and went home for winter holiday how could I let another student use my tix. After all, the tix was paid for and is only being used once.

If they want to share, they owner of the tickets has to pick them up at the box office and then Give ( or sell) them to the person that will be using them.

My older kid was accidently given 2 seats-she will hopefully be returning one set to the pool tomorrow and receiving a credit, otherwise she will be selling those and some of her other tickets for games that she cannot attend. I wish I use them! Do you think anyone would notice that I am not 20 years old?

If they want to share, they owner of the tickets has to pick them up at the box office and then Give ( or sell) them to the person that will be using them.

My older kid was accidently given 2 seats-she will hopefully be returning one set to the pool tomorrow and receiving a credit, otherwise she will be selling those and some of her other tickets for games that she cannot attend. I wish I use them! Do you think anyone would notice that I am not 20 years old?

The ticket is transferable. You just have to set it up with the ticket office. For example, I have student season tickets but am going to miss half the season. I am able to transfer them to my friends or family while I am gone.

Now that's pretty cool.

I like the idea of having the student tickets built into the ID cards, too. I guess it would work just like the meal plan. They'd go to the arena and scan in. That also makes it a lot tougher for students to sell their tickets off, and hopefully prevents their Dayton friends from getting in the place.

I think you'll find a better turnout for your students now that you've got an on-campus "Palace" (I mean that sincerely, it looks like a great place to watch a game. When I was a student at X, i had to ride a school sponsored bus to the Cincinnati Gardens to watch the games or hitch a ride from a friend who was driving.

If X was playing UMASS or someone good, then student attendance was excellent. If not, it was only the real basketball fans. SO fear not, I think your days of Student apathy about coming to games is over. Now if you can just get them to cheer once they're in the place.

I think you'll find a better turnout for your students now that you've got an on-campus "Palace" (I mean that sincerely, it looks like a great place to watch a game.

If X was playing UMASS or someone good, then student attendance was excellent. If not, it was only the real basketball fans. SO fear not, I think your days of Student apathy about coming to games is over. Now if you can just get them to cheer once they're in the place.

Times have changed. I took my wife to the movie matinee in O'fallon, Illinois last night rather than fight the traffic back to St. Louis-we saw the Traitor-pretty good! However, matinee prices were $7 each ($14) and medium soda and medium popcorn for each of us was another $21 so $35 for a date and you know these kids at SLU probably get a kiss good night at the end of a date. If she has her own $130 season pass for maybe 14 games and she lives on campus this is a very economically feasible opportunity in hard times. This may be less than $10 and you could eat at the school cafeteria before the game.

Times have changed. I took my wife to the movie matinee in O'fallon, Illinois last night rather than fight the traffic back to St. Louis-we saw the Traitor-pretty good! However, matinee prices were $7 each ($14) and medium soda and medium popcorn for each of us was another $21 so $35 for a date and you know these kids at SLU probably get a kiss good night at the end of a date. If she has her own $130 season pass for maybe 14 games and she lives on campus this is a very economically feasible opportunity in hard times. This may be less than $10 and you could eat at the school cafeteria before the game.

You take your wife to see the 'Traitor' and not some chick-flick. Then you suggest the male students go on the cheap with a date to basketball game when she has season tickets and then afterwards take her to one of the university eating establishments.

What happen to romance :rolleyes:

You take your wife to see the 'Traitor' and not some chick-flick. Then you suggest the male students go on the cheap with a date to basketball game when she has season tickets and then afterwards take her to one of the university eating establishments.

What happen to romance :rolleyes:

When we got old enough for senior prices at the movies my wife refused to ask for them because she doesn't look her age; I finally convinced her we could go more often if we spent less each time and she explained to me it was never a good thing to tell your wife you saved money on something you got her.

She chose the movie:One of the ways my wife judges the quality of her life is if she has seen every movie nominated for an Oscar each year; I drove her by the marquees and there were two playing between 5:OO and 5:45 I told you it was basically go to a movie or fight the traffic home. She sees all the Chick Flicks she wants on pay per view. I just go in the other room and watch the fights or the book reviews; She even went to a boxing match once with me but it was a cops-fireman guns and hoses fundraiser for pensions or something that she made a donation for the dinner. My wife was a National Merit Finalist, won the Betty Crocker cook off National award at 18 years old, can sew (once made a sport coat for me) helped raise 6 kids, is

a grandmother four times has children with me that starting with the oldest are a Navy Commander who served in Iraq for 18 months in charge of security doing his cross service with the Army out of FT Bragg, Next the only one without at least two degrees owns two restaurants, one of the other girls is a Lawyer, the other a VP at Wachovia and the youngest boy is an opera singer currently touring Germany and Russia for the next six weeks. My wife

writes, is involved in politics and the community. She reads the P-D and NYtimes cover to cover every day-reads at least one new book a week.

I started going to SLU games when her dad gave us tickets he couldn't use about 45 years ago. She cancels my vote about half the time and for you locals-she was a CBC candidate from one of the E Side girls Catholic highschools. She is smart enough to stay ahead of me most of the time and as far

as romance is concerned we celebrate each day but look forward to basketball season as we usually go to a game on her birthday. For the last 31 years

we have both worked from home and when I am not traveling we spend most of our days within 50 feet of each other.

When we got old enough for senior prices at the movies my wife refused to ask for them because she doesn't look her age; I finally convinced her we could go more often if we spent less each time and she explained to me it was never a good thing to tell your wife you saved money on something you got her.

She chose the movie:One of the ways my wife judges the quality of her life is if she has seen every movie nominated for an Oscar each year; I drove her by the marquees and there were two playing between 5:OO and 5:45 I told you it was basically go to a movie or fight the traffic home. She sees all the Chick Flicks she wants on pay per view. I just go in the other room and watch the fights or the book reviews; She even went to a boxing match once with me but it was a cops-fireman guns and hoses fundraiser for pensions or something that she made a donation for the dinner. My wife was a National Merit Finalist, won the Betty Crocker cook off National award at 18 years old, can sew (once made a sport coat for me) helped raise 6 kids, is

a grandmother four times has children with me that starting with the oldest are a Navy Commander who served in Iraq for 18 months in charge of security doing his cross service with the Army out of FT Bragg, Next the only one without at least two degrees owns two restaurants, one of the other girls is a Lawyer, the other a VP at Wachovia and the youngest boy is an opera singer currently touring Germany and Russia for the next six weeks. My wife

writes, is involved in politics and the community. She reads the P-D and NYtimes cover to cover every day-reads at least one new book a week.

I started going to SLU games when her dad gave us tickets he couldn't use about 45 years ago. She cancels my vote about half the time and for you locals-she was a CBC candidate from one of the E Side girls Catholic highschools. She is smart enough to stay ahead of me most of the time and as far

as romance is concerned we celebrate each day but look forward to basketball season as we usually go to a game on her birthday. For the last 31 years

we have both worked from home and when I am not traveling we spend most of our days within 50 feet of each other.

68, above what you say is wonderful, seriously.

I was just playing with you :rolleyes: