Tip Off Club Meeting

Westy03

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The new Billiken Club president was introduced - sorry I don't remember his name. Chris May talked and said he is really impressed with the new A10 Commissioner and that she will make the TV package better for schools like SLU but it will not be this year. Radio and TV broadcast contracts are being finalized for this year and should be announced soon. They are working to get the women's BB home games on the radio locally. He also talked about how he is committed to being successful with all sports. Shimmy talked about the upcoming team and season. She is not sure how many games they will win but the team is far better than any other group she has had at SLU. For the first time she will not have to start any freshmen. She introduced her coaches and they talked about how the 2009 recruiting class is full and they are working on 2010. One of the asst. coaches talked about how great the new arena is for recruiting and she compared it to what WI has since that was were she played. Alex Jensen was there along with TL and BE. Jensen talked about how excited he is to be here and told the story that when RM asked him to consider coming to SLU that he was not that excited about the idea but the Doleac told him he had to come because we have his picture up in the coaches office. When he came he saw the picture - it was him playing against Justin Love when SLU played Utah in the NCAA. He said fall recruiting was going well - whatever that means. He said they are looking at shooters and big guys and have had several in for visits. The schedule was put together to ease the young team into D1 basketball. Their goal is to be ready for Xavier in Jan. He believes that Mitchell will be the pg but after that it is hard to tell who will be other freshmen who play. He said the Femi John spends the most time in the gym of all the 8 new players. He talked about how hard it is to schedule games because none of the other coaches are crazy about playing against RM. He thinks once we start winning that we will leverage to get better teams on the schedule. This is basically what was talked about and others who were there can fill in the any gaps I left.

The new Billiken Club president was introduced - sorry I don't remember his name. Chris May talked and said he is really impressed with the new A10 Commissioner and that she will make the TV package better for schools like SLU but it will not be this year. Radio and TV broadcast contracts are being finalized for this year and should be announced soon. They are working to get the women's BB home games on the radio locally. He also talked about how he is committed to being successful with all sports. Shimmy talked about the upcoming team and season. She is not sure how many games they will win but the team is far better than any other group she has had at SLU. For the first time she will not have to start any freshmen. She introduced her coaches and they talked about how the 2009 recruiting class is full and they are working on 2010. One of the asst. coaches talked about how great the new arena is for recruiting and she compared it to what WI has since that was were she played. Alex Jensen was there along with TL and BE. Jensen talked about how excited he is to be here and told the story that when RM asked him to consider coming to SLU that he was not that excited about the idea but the Doleac told him he had to come because we have his picture up in the coaches office. When he came he saw the picture - it was him playing against Justin Love when SLU played Utah in the NCAA. He said fall recruiting was going well - whatever that means. He said they are looking at shooters and big guys and have had several in for visits. The schedule was put together to ease the young team into D1 basketball. Their goal is to be ready for Xavier in Jan. He believes that Mitchell will be the pg but after that it is hard to tell who will be other freshmen who play. He said the Femi John spends the most time in the gym of all the 8 new players. He talked about how hard it is to schedule games because none of the other coaches are crazy about playing against RM. He thinks once we start winning that we will leverage to get better teams on the schedule. This is basically what was talked about and others who were there can fill in the any gaps I left.

Sorry, they have sold over 6k season tix and the women's season tix sales are over last year's for them. There are about 60 Loyal Blue seats unsold otherwise all the others with seat fees are gone with only general admission seats left.

Sorry, they have sold over 6k season tix and the women's season tix sales are over last year's for them. There are about 60 Loyal Blue seats unsold otherwise all the others with seat fees are gone with only general admission seats left.

How does the 6000 season tickets sold compared to last year's total? If there are seats available, I think they'll sell a few more as the season approaches.

if that is the case it sounds like the athdept got the seating prices pretty correct - good job to them for that

did i miss my bclub annual donation packet or have those not yet been sent?

I thought BE looked thinner. He said he has gone from 260 to 237 since March.

Whether or not Rammer will be the radio announcer this year will depend on the radio contract.

Whichever recruits were in last weekend, they were impressed with the volleyball atmosphere and the arena. SLU is getting in on players that would not have considered SLU before, because of the arena.

having worked in the radio industry for the past 25 years i'm amazed that

there is no radio deal in place with the first game only 2 months away.

alot of advertisers already have their advertising set for the year, having

said that, i realize that st. louis is a major market and maybe my concerns

are unfounded.

refresh my memory, why are games not on the same station as they have been?

I thought BE looked thinner. He said he has gone from 260 to 237 since March.

Whether or not Rammer will be the radio announcer this year will depend on the radio contract.

Whichever recruits were in last weekend, they were impressed with the volleyball atmosphere and the arena. SLU is getting in on players that would not have considered SLU before, because of the arena.

having worked in the radio industry for the past 25 years i'm amazed that

there is no radio deal in place with the first game only 2 months away.

alot of advertisers already have their advertising set for the year, having

said that, i realize that st. louis is a major market and maybe my concerns

are unfounded.

refresh my memory, why are games not on the same station as they have been?

I wonder if this may have to do with the fact 101.1 is going to become all sports? If they do and they are going to pick up the Bills.......They wouldn't want SLU making the announcement they are going all sports and SLU sayin they wil be on 101.1 would let the cat of the bag. If that happens there is no way 590 lets Rammer on the airwaves for the competition.

Please provide an update to all of us out of towners

I wish they would put these tip-off club meetings on a conference call so out-of-towners can call in. It would be cheap and easy.

I'm interested to see how the radio deal works out. Is it likely that broadcasts will be blacked out online on the station website (whatever it will be) because of CSTV?

I wonder if this may have to do with the fact 101.1 is going to become all sports? If they do and they are going to pick up the Bills.......They wouldn't want SLU making the announcement they are going all sports and SLU sayin they wil be on 101.1 would let the cat of the bag. If that happens there is no way 590 lets Rammer on the airwaves for the competition.

I think you are right on. Who knows maybe Rammer switches stations.

Just wanted to add a few tidbits. Apparently the student ticket sales are going very well, I think they said they all but 70 tickets sold already which shocked the heck out of me. As for the 6,000+ seaspn tickets, that was just for the renewel so they still havent started marketing to new season ticket holders which is very good imo. As far as recruiting for 2009, one recruit is choosing between us and UConn according to Jensen which is a good sign- hopefully we can seal the deal. I think the kid is from Australia. Barry looks ready to go and they both seemed really pumped when they gave the number of student tickets left. Finally, I think Brian was right with the radio deal, they said there will be a shake up in radio in st. louis and we will find out soon.

if that is the case it sounds like the athdept got the seating prices pretty correct - good job to them for that

did i miss my bclub annual donation packet or have those not yet been sent?

I talked to Chris May about this exact thing and he told me he would email me with the info and find out what happened. When I get his email I will post it.

How does the 6000 season tickets sold compared to last year's total? If there are seats available, I think they'll sell a few more as the season approaches.

I don't know but they said they hope to have 8K sold by the season start. They also said they sold over 700 student tix and believe they will sell out soon.

Just wanted to add a few tidbits. Apparently the student ticket sales are going very well, I think they said they all but 70 tickets sold already which shocked the heck out of me. As for the 6,000+ seaspn tickets, that was just for the renewel so they still havent started marketing to new season ticket holders which is very good imo. As far as recruiting for 2009, one recruit is choosing between us and UConn according to Jensen which is a good sign- hopefully we can seal the deal. I think the kid is from Australia. Barry looks ready to go and they both seemed really pumped when they gave the number of student tickets left. Finally, I think Brian was right with the radio deal, they said there will be a shake up in radio in st. louis and we will find out soon.

I know it is tough to hear at these meetings but the kid Jensen talked about is considering us and Utah. The UConn reference was from Shimmy about one of their 2010 recruits. They have sold 700 student tix not 930.

I don't know but they said they hope to have 8K sold by the season start. They also said they sold over 700 student tix and believe they will sell out soon.

That's a pretty strong number for the students. There was a lot of fretting on here about whether or not they would sell. The early returns on the arena are strong - attract a better coach, attract better recruits, attract more students to the games.

I know it is tough to hear at these meetings but the kid Jensen talked about is considering us and Utah. The UConn reference was from Shimmy about one of their 2010 recruits. They have sold 700 student tix not 930.

Damn I should get the wax out of my ears. I could of sworn he said it was us and UConn, but oh well. I think they first said there were only 70 student tickets left but I think they corrected it, the new guy running the meeting was getting corrected left and right- it seemed he had no idea what was going on with the season ticket situation

it is great news to hear we are actually close to possibly getting a commit from some one even though business as usual, no one has a clue who it might be, or at least are not sharing with this cyber community.

it is great news to hear we are actually close to possibly getting a commit from some one even though business as usual, no one has a clue who it might be, or at least are not sharing with this cyber community.

For what its worth Jensen said that the players they are recruting have a chance to be better then the 2008 class

Damn I should get the wax out of my ears. I could of sworn he said it was us and UConn, but oh well. I think they first said there were only 70 student tickets left but I think they corrected it, the new guy running the meeting was getting corrected left and right- it seemed he had no idea what was going on with the season ticket situation

I believed UConn, because they have an assistant with Australian connections. We shall see.

Guest BillikenReport

I just posted a story on my site about Matt Read, but I don't think he's close to committing anywhere just yet.

I wish they would put these tip-off club meetings on a conference call so out-of-towners can call in. It would be cheap and easy.

I'm interested to see how the radio deal works out. Is it likely that broadcasts will be blacked out online on the station website (whatever it will be) because of CSTV?

Why not record them, put it on slubillikens.com and give all the billiken club members a password to listen?

For what its worth Jensen said that the players they are recruting have a chance to be better then the 2008 class

Who are the recruits we are targeting? I have not heard many names mentioned and the names that have been mentioned have not really been strong SLU leans. It is important to follow what would seem to be a strong recruiting class by A-10 standards with another strong class. We will be losing Tommie and Kevin so there will some key spots and playing time to fill.