time to let 1380 know

When do any reporters print or admit to reporting something that did not turn out to be true? - not very often. For those who follow sports the best way to minimize a reporter who continues to make wrong predictions/reports is to have those who they report about show them how wrong they were by succeeding on the court and it won't take long for listeners to realize who is worth listening too. As far as Strickland is concerned, who cares what he has to say or not say - he is right once in awhile but wrong more so that speaks to his creditability. My guess is what happened is someone at the SLU was asked about the two and they said, it does not look good right now. If I had to guess based on where things are right now I would say they would be in a JUCCO next year. Afterwards, Cotto gets the test score and Reed finishes up some courses - both were long hills to climb. So, now they look like they will qualify so the info looks bad. Leave it alone, lets do our talking on the court.

THANK YOU Cheeseman for a dose of reasonable thought.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is what happened is someone at the SLU was asked about the two and they said, it does not look good right now. If I had to guess based on where things are right now I would say they would be in a JUCCO next year. Afterwards, Cotto gets the test score and Reed finishes up some courses - both were long hills to climb. So, now they look like they will qualify so the info looks bad. Leave it alone, lets do our talking on the court.

Prior to Strickland's report it was reported by several credible posters on this board that Reed would likely qualify, and the day before Strickland's report those close to Cotto reported that the received the qaulifying score. Strickland and Bernie may claim to have solid sources, but the average lurker on this board is apparently receiving more credible information.

Slander (or in this case libel) has to falsely and negatively reflect on your reputation. Roy did not falsely reflect on your reputation. Your negative reputation was well earned.

Reporting false info as fact is wrong regardless. Calling someone out for it when you do it your self is hypocritical.

Once again, Roy is making SLU fans look like jackasses to the rest of the St. Louis sports viewing public. Bernie essentially ripped him a new one. Now that he got torn up on the Bernie board he's going to come over here and cry to get some attention. Drop it dude. You are hurting the image of the fans and program once again. And notice he didn't respond to Bernie.

http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.p...b7550f60d20cdac

No, Miklasz didn't "rip Roy a new one." All Miklasz did was show his true colors: he has no respect for SLU.

Also, I disagree slightly with Bernie's rebuke. Roy wasn't hijacking the thread; he was just adding his two cents why Strickland has little credibility, in his opinion. Should he have started a orphan thread about it?

Bernie and "Strick Nasty" just discussed Roy and SLU on the the buzz segment. They pretty much said SLU had one fan and we were irrelevant.

I'm torn. Bernie's show is by far the best sports show on STL radio yet he is really not a friend of Billiken basketball. I'm going to make it a point to call in regularly to his show once we get into basktball season and discuss the Billikens.

below are the two e-mail addresses of the two heads of 1380. i sent them an e-mail this morning reminding them that they backed strickland in early july when he reported that cotto and reed would never enroll at saint louis university.

it is time that 1380 and in particular strickland apologize to both of these young men and to saint louis university for his slanderous "reporting".

[email protected]

[email protected]

Roy, I appreciate your passion, but, frankly, Strickland's commentary is too obscure for me to take time out of my schedule to send e-mails calling for apology or dismissal. And even if I did share your passion, I think the better time to bring all of this to light for the public-at-large would be during basketball season, after Reed and Cotto are swatting shots and swishing threes for the Bills on the court. Then you could make Strickland and Miklasz feel like they're only this tall: -->.<-- Right now they could just brush it off by discussing how the Cardinals could finish with the third-best record in the NL and still not make the playoffs, because of some bullpen blowups; how Steven Jackson looks like a prima donna and needs to get his contracted butt on the Rams' practice field; how the Arch Rivalry is destined to overtake the Braggin' Rights game, or even about how unreal Mike Phelps is and how the Jamaicans have captured "lightning bolts" in a bottle in the sprints.

It's all about relevance, my friend.

My only real problem with all of this is that if they have qualified then Strickland should report this. From what Strickland said defending himself the day after he made the comment, he merely relayed information from a source that at that point in time the two recruits were not qualified. It is my understanding that at the time of the statement, neither of these two individuals had qualified. I doubt Strickland would have reported this information if he did not have a source. I just don't think that many people in St. Louis care. Bernie and Randy did not even know Ruben Cotto's name. Are Ruben and Willie qualified? If so, then I think it would be in good showing for Ol' Dirty Strick and Bernie to report that these individuals have qualified and that what they reported a couple months back was not accurate. I personally do not care, but when you "break" news concerning young men that is negative towards them you should probably own up if your report ends up being incorrect.

Bernie and "Strick Nasty" just discussed Roy and SLU on the the buzz segment. They pretty much said SLU had one fan and we were irrelevant.

I'm torn. Bernie's show is by far the best sports show on STL radio yet he is really not a friend of Billiken basketball. I'm going to make it a point to call in regularly to his show once we get into basktball season and discuss the Billikens.

Bernie's show isn't even the best on his own station, let alone the best on the airwaves in St. Louis. He is saddled with the most boring co-host in captivity. I'd rather listen to paint dry than listen to Randy Karraker. That being said, besides Frank C. and Bob Ramsey no one in the sports media in St. Louis could give a rip about SLU basketball-- until we start winning. Then they will fawn all over us. That's just the way the biz works. I think we all might have an inferiority complex because so many sportswriters and media types come from the Mizzou J-school.

billikan, i can see where you took my "p.s." post as such, but if you read all the threads and consider the history of this situation and the fact that i sent 1380 management e-mails in july after stickland first made the slanderous comments on the 1380 airwaves, surely you see where my real point is,

that if there was even a chance these two young men were not going to become slu students anymore, it would be incredible.

i.e. strickland and bernie should see the whole picture and realize this isnt anywhere near the truth. the 1380 bosses, mr helmkamp and mr strelo should now recognize that the "great source" that strickland had in july was absolutely wrong and that both students will indeed be saint louis university students this week.

i am the one defending saint louis university and our new student athletes on the issue that they were slandered by 1380. sorry you misunderstood my posts my point was only to illustrate that if what stickland originally said was still true and now after school starts saint louis university would turn on these young men that would be horrible. we know that isnt going to happen. they are saint louis university students not left in the cold scrambling for a junior college somewhere as strickland guaranteed a month and a half ago.

i urge all to send 1380 a note as well.

Yes, Move in is tomorrow and Ruben will be moving in along with the rest of the crew. NCAA is still backed up, but again it is expected that there will be no problems in qualifying him.

My thought on the whole Strickland thing is that his informant was from outside of SLU Athletics. No one in the know within the basketball program/athletic dept. would have said such things about Ruben or Willie.

Roy, I appreciate your passion, but, frankly, Strickland's commentary is too obscure for me to take time out of my schedule to send e-mails calling for apology or dismissal. And even if I did share your passion, I think the better time to bring all of this to light for the public-at-large would be during basketball season, after Reed and Cotto are swatting shots and swishing threes for the Bills on the court. Then you could make Strickland and Miklasz feel like they're only this tall: -->.<-- Right now they could just brush it off by discussing how the Cardinals could finish with the third-best record in the NL and still not make the playoffs, because of some bullpen blowups; how Steven Jackson looks like a prima donna and needs to get his contracted butt on the Rams' practice field; how the Arch Rivalry is destined to overtake the Braggin' Rights game, or even about how unreal Mike Phelps is and how the Jamaicans have captured "lightning bolts" in a bottle in the sprints.

It's all about relevance, my friend.

Hilarious. Like 99% of this is "critical-important" stuff but the Strickland thing isn't. Would not want you to waste valuable time.

This is exactly why roy should at least change his approach and probably quit badgering miklasz and the rest of the media. I'm no fan of miklasz, but roy has done this several times over the years. roy walks away thumping his chest and miklasz takes cheap shots at SLU. Maybe it shouldn't be this way, but that's how it works out. roy somehow manages to chap BM's arse and SLU fans pay the price.

Hilarious. Like 99% of this is "critical-important" stuff but the Strickland thing isn't. Would not want you to waste valuable time.

What the heck are you talking about?! Have you ever seen me push for an e-mailing campaign? Is that supposed to be on the same level as reading a message board?

What the heck are you talking about?! Have you ever seen me push for an e-mailing campaign? Is that supposed to be on the same level as reading a message board?

SLU needs to do their talking on the court. Guys like BM love winners and won't pay any attention to anything else. 90% of what BM wrote from '99 until '03 or so had to do with the Rams. A few years back roy ripped into Timmerman because he wasn't writing enough about SLU in July. When it was pointed out to roy that Timmerman was in Germany covering the world cup, roy's response was "a FAN of SLU shoulf find a way to keep covering the team, even if he's out of the country". That's wrong on so many levels that it's amazing (TT was a reporter, not a fan, he was on assignment for his job, it was THE MIDDLE OF SUMMER, etc.).

roy is a big fan, but his strange efforts simply invite ridicule to all of us.

I think most SLU fans, even folks on here who typically disagree with Roy, understand and support why he is making an issue of this. It's not so much that this Strickland guy reported what appears to be false information, it's the fact that he's digging in his heels and appears to be unapologetic about it that is the issue. It makes sense that BILLIKEN roy would want to defend the repuation of Billiken players. He's a SLU fan. It's amusing that postcard/billiphan is the one making an issue of this. Remember, posty is the guy who went through the effort of contacting Dan Caesar in an attempt to justify why Mizzou gets a lot more coverage than SLU. With the exception of a couple of the typical Roy obsessed bashers who have his back, postcard is fighting a losing battle here. It would probably be best if he returned to the stltoday board where you can find him ripping SLU and waving the MU pom poms. He'll find a more sympathetic audience there.

I think most SLU fans, even folks on here who typically disagree with Roy, understand and support why he is making an issue of this. It's not so much that this Strickland guy reported what appears to be false information, it's the fact that he's digging in his heels and appears to be unapologetic about it that is the issue. It makes sense that BILLIKEN roy would want to defend the repuation of Billiken players. He's a SLU fan. It's amusing that postcard/billiphan is the one making an issue of this. Remember, posty is the guy who went through the effort of contacting Dan Caesar in an attempt to justify why Mizzou gets a lot more coverage than SLU. With the exception of a couple of the typical Roy obsessed bashers who have his back, postcard is fighting a losing battle here. It would probably be best if he returned to the stltoday board where you can find him ripping SLU and waving the MU pom poms. He'll find a more sympathetic audience there.

Ace, never let the facts get in the way of you making your point. And by the way, weren't you banned from the Bernie Board? How is the can collecting coming along this summer?

Ace, never let the facts get in the way of you making your point. And by the way, weren't you banned from the Bernie Board? How is the can collecting coming along this summer?

Nope, sure wasn't. Try again. You're the expert on getting banned on message boards, right billiphan :lol:

Any more pro-Mizzou love letter for Dan Caesar?

Nope, sure wasn't. Try again. You're the expert on getting banned on message boards, right billiphan :lol:

Any more pro-Mizzou love letter for Dan Caesar?

Deny it all you want but I'm pretty sure you were banned for threatening some guys kid on there. Nice class.

And if you remember correctly, which I know is a big stretch for you, I wrote Dan Caesar in order to resolve a discussion about ratings for the two programs. I was proven right, no big surprise there.

What are the welfare payments like these days? I'm sure between that and begging for change you'll be able to see the Bills once and for all like the rest of us.

Deny it all you want but I'm pretty sure you were banned for threatening some guys kid on there. Nice class.

And if you remember correctly, which I know is a big stretch for you, I wrote Dan Caesar in order to resolve a discussion about ratings for the two programs. I was proven right, no big surprise there.

What are the welfare payments like these days? I'm sure between that and begging for change you'll be able to see the Bills once and for all like the rest of us.

Exactly. You took the time to contact Dan Caesar to prove a pro-Mizzou point. :lol: Plus, you were all over the stltoday board referring to Mizzou as "we" this and "we" that. Billiphan, you might gain a shred of respect if you just came clean on here about your Mizzou alllegiance. You are probably ashamed considering the countless scandals in recent years, but try to be a big boy about it.

Exactly. You took the time to contact Dan Caesar to prove a pro-Mizzou point. :lol: Plus, you were all over the stltoday board referring to Mizzou as "we" this and "we" that. Billiphan, you might gain a shred of respect if you just came clean on here about your Mizzou alllegiance. You are probably ashamed considering the countless scandals in recent years, but try to be a big boy about it.

Dude, I'm tired of always bickering with you. I want to be the bigger man is this. The Jesuits taught me to be a Man for Others. PM me the phone number of the pay phone where you take your calls and I'll give you a ring. I have some odd jobs I need done around my house and I thought that would be a good way for you to scrape up a few bucks and stay out of the shelter for a few days. What time should I call?

Dude, I'm tired of always bickering with you. I want to be the bigger man is this. The Jesuits taught me to be a Man for Others. PM me the phone number of the pay phone where you take your calls and I'll give you a ring. I have some odd jobs I need done around my house and I thought that would be a good way for you to scrape up a few bucks and stay out of the shelter for a few days. What time should I call?

The problem isn't so much the bickering as it is the material, it's old and stale. You guys have been using the same putdowns for at least a year. If we have to keep reading it, can we at least get some fresh, funny material.

The problem isn't so much the bickering as it is the material, it's old and stale. You guys have been using the same putdowns for at least a year. If we have to keep reading it, can we at least get some fresh, funny material.

Good point. I do like my putdowns but I can see how others may get tired of them. I'll see what I can do. On an unrelated manner, what day and time does the gold medal womens soccer match go down?

Good point. I do like my putdowns but I can see how others may get tired of them. I'll see what I can do. On an unrelated manner, what day and time does the gold medal womens soccer match go down?

Just keep it fresh. They're like Easter dresses, meant to be used once.

I haven't looked yet. I would guess either tommorrow or Friday morning. The men play a WC qualifier tonight at 9 (I think). It'll be on ESPN2

Now that's a good boy. Probably best for you to pack it in after losing this debate. This may come as a surprise, but Billiken fans will generally stick up for their players if something is unfairly reported in the media. Not really any different than the way most fans are. Now Billiken nation will anxiously await to see which thread you try to hijack next.