time to let 1380 know

I think most SLU fans, even folks on here who typically disagree with Roy, understand and support why he is making an issue of this. It's not so much that this Strickland guy reported what appears to be false information, it's the fact that he's digging in his heels and appears to be unapologetic about it that is the issue. It makes sense that BILLIKEN roy would want to defend the repuation of Billiken players. He's a SLU fan. It's amusing that postcard/billiphan is the one making an issue of this. Remember, posty is the guy who went through the effort of contacting Dan Caesar in an attempt to justify why Mizzou gets a lot more coverage than SLU. With the exception of a couple of the typical Roy obsessed bashers who have his back, postcard is fighting a losing battle here. It would probably be best if he returned to the stltoday board where you can find him ripping SLU and waving the MU pom poms. He'll find a more sympathetic audience there.

I have a couple of issues here. First of all, Strickland works part time for a low-watt station that you can't hear if you drive under a bridge. He's not exactly Bob Woodward. When you say that he's "unapologetic", it suggests that he owes someone an apology. Should he admit that he's wrong? I'd say yes. Does a guy who makes a living reporting rumors owe apologies? I don't think so. I don't read the Star, watch Access Hollywood, or listen to cra# like Strickland because I get what it is.

I'm also a little surprised that the guy who's notorious for "roymors" (your term, not mine) is busting someone for spreading info that might not be true.

Finally, while roy's don quixote routine with BM might be charming, it's done nothing but bring bad publicity to SLU. Exactly how does that help? He accomplished the great task of getting BM to print that SLU is irrelevant. Then, instead of starting a new thread, he went into a PM discussion with BM. Is SLU now better off because of roy's actions?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a couple of issues here. First of all, Strickland works part time for a low-watt station that you can't hear if you drive under a bridge. He's not exactly Bob Woodward. When you say that he's "unapologetic", it suggests that he owes someone an apology. Should he admit that he's wrong? I'd say yes. Does a guy who makes a living reporting rumors owe apologies? I don't think so. I don't read the Star, watch Access Hollywood, or listen to cra# like Strickland because I get what it is.

I'm also a little surprised that the guy who's notorious for "roymors" (your term, not mine) is busting someone for spreading info that might not be true.

Finally, while roy's don quixote routine with BM might be charming, it's done nothing but bring bad publicity to SLU. Exactly how does that help? He accomplished the great task of getting BM to print that SLU is irrelevant. Then, instead of starting a new thread, he went into a PM discussion with BM. Is SLU now better off because of roy's actions?

Footes. Interesting points. Strickland probably is acting reckless in the same manner as the other rumor rags you mention. The difference, though, is that figures like Brittany Spears and Angelina Jolie, like it or not, are public figures. I would suggest that Cotto and Reed and not on the same level. If they were "no-name" professionals - then a different story. They, are however, more "public figures" than the average SLU student since they do play men's basketball. Same with the 4 guys who were forced to leave the program. Even if they are to be held to the same standard as a public figure, the rumor and/or allegation still needs to be true. Hollywood fights the rumor rags all the time (they don't sit back and take - as you suggest we and Roy should do). Granted, a $20 million judgement 3 years later after the false headline which made the rag $80 million is not the best justice but that's another topic. Strickland's comments about Cotto not passing the test were false.

Believe the real reason that Stickland doesn't make false allegations and then hide about the Cardinals, Blues, Mizzou etc. is because there would be an avalanche of angry complaints. Instead of an avalanche, we have BRoy. I would suggest that this less a problem of what Roy did or did not do but instead what all the rest of us fans do and/or allow to be done to our players, our coach and our program. Winning on the Court will be required to change things. Even if RM wins a few years, these same local media will credit RM despite SLU and then provide stats as to 3 or 4 good years under RM compared to 60 years of relative futility.

We have the building, the coach and some nice players but I suggest that we still lack the interested school President, a competant Athletic Department and student support. Hopefully, the on-campus arena will change things. When I was at SLU, for instance, we had better soccer teams than these past few years but no one attended soccer games like they do now. Finally, I am the last guy to criticise the fanbase which I consider to be loyal and extremely supportive despite the results on the hardwood. The local media has snubbed SLU for years. A few more written words by Miklaczs is nothing. I still recall Kevin Horigan's column which ran during the NIT Finals as if it was yesterday. The fans spoke up to Horrigan. Put me in the category that we need a little more attitude and spirit both during the games and in the face to the local media is also needed. More BRoy's are needed not less.

footes i think billiken fans that have remained quiet should be ashamed of themselves. when we cant defend these kids because we are afraid of the backlash of one writer, it speaks volumes for what he tries to pass us off as.......insignificant.

what should have happened is a roar from everyone here and an effort to get your fellow billiken fans to also be outraged and demand strickland's head.

no way i am sorry for defending our team. i am sorry you didnt.

I wish I could take credit for it, but "roymors" was coined by kshoe. Besides, calling out "roymors" is quite consistent with cracking on Stickland for what he did, so I'm not sure what your point is there.

You said Strickland should "admit he's wrong"... sounds like you agree with me. If you don't want to call that an apology, fine, but you are agreeing with what I'm saying. Strickland could gain a shred of credibility if he just said something along the lines that it turns out his earlier report was wrong, he is happy to report the two young men will be eligible, etc.

The majority of Billiken fans on here, even those who don't often agree with Roy (myself included), are with him on this one. By voicing displeasure, it at least demonstrates that there is some interest out there in Billiken hoops. If they don't hear from SLU fans, then they take the approach that nobody out there cares about SLU hoops, so they'll be less likely to talk about it. The only people who seem to have an issue with what roy did is a couple of Mizzou trolls and a guy with a Roy obsession. I find it amusing that one of the harshest critics of Roy has gotten on him for corresponding with a member of the media in trying to defend the honor of a couple of young SLU players, while that same guy turns around and corresponds with a member of the media in an attempt to prove a pro-Mizzou point.

The fact that this has received so much attention on here is sad. And I would bet that no more than 5 of you actually cared enough to send an email to 1380. All this episode did was prove to two media members in town(one signifigant, one not so much) that they shouldn't even waste their time commenting on SLU because our small whiny fanbase will never let them hear the end of it. Roy has already pissed off TT, RK, BM and I'm sure there are others we don't know about. In the case of Randy Karraker, he was proven wrong but in the end he got his wish which was to have lunch with Randy. i'm sure he is angling for the same thing with Bernie. If you all can't see that this is as much about Roy and his fascination of being known to the media guys than you need to pull your heads out of the sand. There is a saying about knowing when to "pick your battles." This is not a battle we should have picked. We look foolish and as a result the media(for who's attention we crave) cares about us even less than they did before this episode. Thanks Roy.

The fact that this has received so much attention on here is sad. And I would bet that no more than 5 of you actually cared enough to send an email to 1380. All this episode did was prove to two media members in town(one signifigant, one not so much) that they shouldn't even waste their time commenting on SLU because our small whiny fanbase will never let them hear the end of it. Roy has already pissed off TT, RK, BM and I'm sure there are others we don't know about. In the case of Randy Karraker, he was proven wrong but in the end he got his wish which was to have lunch with Randy. i'm sure he is angling for the same thing with Bernie. If you all can't see that this is as much about Roy and his fascination of being known to the media guys than you need to pull your heads out of the sand. There is a saying about knowing when to "pick your battles." This is not a battle we should have picked. We look foolish and as a result the media(for who's attention we crave) cares about us even less than they did before this episode. Thanks Roy.

see this is the guy that makes us look small and cowering.

btw, i didnt seek out karraker for lunch. he came to me. bernie and i have been friendly acquaintences for years and i have no issues with bernie. in fact i consider myself more of a bernie supporter than most on this board. we agree more than we disagree. i took my beef off the board simply out of respect for bernie. no other motive.

tom timmermann and i have also mended ways. i think tom does a much better job of covering the billikens the last couple of seasons than he did originally. and i have given him credit for that both here and via e-mail directly to him and i have conversed with him via e-mail on billiken stuff often the last couple of years.

again, accepting the media beating us up and ignoring the billikens isnt something i would be proud of. but you have proven you arent much of a billiken fan, so not hard to believe you want all of us to cower in a corner somewhere and just ask for another paddling whenever possible by any media member. why dont you actually try to be a fan once.

Postcard, you're just way off base on this one. The only problem here is that more fans AREN'T writing in. You think the media thinks we're whiny because we have a few boosters emailing to complain? If anything, they may think we're insignificant because MORE people don't do it. don't you realize that the more people that write these guys, means more people care about what they are saying? Which means they get more popular, make more money, and eventually get promoted. Who on this board gave a rat's ass about Strickland before this ordeal...now he's public enemy number one for Billiken fans. I'm sure Andy is loving it.

Were you not around during the Harrelson debacle? Did you not see how those Kentucky fans acted...they make Roy and the rest of our fan base look like choir boys. The fact of the matter is that big time programs DEMAND respect and would NEVER tolerate such blantant disrespect for it's players. They stand behind the players...which is what makes these schools elite and makes kids want to play for them. Harrelson was quoted as saying a big reason he went to KU was the fans.

No, until we get MORE fans like Roy, we will remain that insignificant little engine that could.

see this is the guy that makes us look small and cowering.

btw, i didnt seek out karraker for lunch. he came to me. bernie and i have been friendly acquaintences for years and i have no issues with bernie. in fact i consider myself more of a bernie supporter than most on this board. we agree more than we disagree. i took my beef off the board simply out of respect for bernie. no other motive.

tom timmermann and i have also mended ways. i think tom does a much better job of covering the billikens the last couple of seasons than he did originally. and i have given him credit for that both here and via e-mail directly to him and i have conversed with him via e-mail on billiken stuff often the last couple of years.

again, accepting the media beating us up and ignoring the billikens isnt something i would be proud of. but you have proven you arent much of a billiken fan, so not hard to believe you want all of us to cower in a corner somewhere and just ask for another paddling whenever possible by any media member. why dont you actually try to be a fan once.

I am a fan albeit a rational one. Like I said, this was not a case where we should have battled the media. The end result was negative and you're to blame. If you don't want to accept responsibility for that then that is on your conscious. I must say I'm not surprised as you often fail to respond when you're proven wrong on a matter.

And to get back to the topic at hand, you are upset at Strickland because you think he lied and owes the Bills and the players an apology. How about all the times you've called BillikenReport a liar on here and slandered him. When are you going to apologize to him? How are you any different than Strickland?

Post. Count me as one of your "no more than 5 of you actually cared enough to send an email to 1380."

I proudly sent an email to 1380 and appreciate the efforts of BRoy. Then again, unlike many in town and several on this Board, I am proud to be a SLU fan.

Post. Count me as one of your "no more than 5 of you actually cared enough to send an email to 1380."

I proudly sent an email to 1380 and appreciate the efforts of BRoy. Then again, unlike many in town and several on this Board, I am proud to be a SLU fan.

I still fail to see how what Strickland said is wrong. At the time of his report he said that the two recruits had yet to qualify and at the time and as far as I know (I am hardly the Billiken I used to so they may be qualified now and I just missed it) that is still the case. I think when it comes out that these two have been cleared Strickland should report that information. I am pretty sure Strickland was told by a SLU "source" that these guys had not qualified and trusting that source went with it. If 1380 is going to put an individual in a position to essentially break news there is a good chance some of the things reported will end up being false rumors. Strickland and Bernie both reiterated that they trusted the source when I heard them talking about it after the initial report. Let it go because if anyone is to blame it is Bernie and Strick's source for giving them premature information about these two recruits.

I still fail to see how what Strickland said is wrong. At the time of his report he said that the two recruits had yet to qualify and at the time and as far as I know (I am hardly the Billiken I used to so they may be qualified now and I just missed it) that is still the case. I think when it comes out that these two have been cleared Strickland should report that information. I am pretty sure Strickland was told by a SLU "source" that these guys had not qualified and trusting that source went with it. If 1380 is going to put an individual in a position to essentially break news there is a good chance some of the things reported will end up being false rumors. Strickland and Bernie both reiterated that they trusted the source when I heard them talking about it after the initial report. Let it go because if anyone is to blame it is Bernie and Strick's source for giving them premature information about these two recruits.

My understanding is he took it beyond stating they hadn't qualified

I think at this point they've both met the NCAA regulatulatory minimums in all areas and just need to pass the NCAA clearinghouse, which is back-logged and behind schedule. They'll be fine once they just process the paperwork and red tape.

I also am curious- did Strickland say they had not qualified yet or that they will not qualify? Those are two completely different things because the first one was true at the time. If he said that they hadn't gotten the scores/credits they needed and still had work to do, that's one thing. But if he led listeners to believe that they'd have to sit out freshman year and lose eligibility because they weren't going to qualify, that's another altogether. If the first is true, then he didn't do anything wrong, even if he is a bit of a d-bag for being somewhat misleading and using it as a chance to take a swipe at SLU.

I think at this point they've both met the NCAA regulatulatory minimums in all areas and just need to pass the NCAA clearinghouse, which is back-logged and behind schedule. They'll be fine once they just process the paperwork and red tape.

I also am curious- did Strickland say they had not qualified yet or that they will not qualify? Those are two completely different things because the first one was true at the time. If he said that they hadn't gotten the scores/credits they needed and still had work to do, that's one thing. But if he led listeners to believe that they'd have to sit out freshman year and lose eligibility because they weren't going to qualify, that's another altogether. If the first is true, then he didn't do anything wrong, even if he is a bit of a d-bag for being somewhat misleading and using it as a chance to take a swipe at SLU.

Two more things:

-Did anyone actually hear the broadcast? If so, what did he actually say?

-Who is Andy Strickland, anyway? Is he new to St. Louis radio? I grew up in St. Louis and went to SLU and I'm pretty familiar with most guys who have covered the program in any way, and I've never heard of him. Did his comments run in print anywhere? He's just on local 1380- what time? Are we getting upset over some jerk with an audience of 10 nerds? This just seems like a lot of fuss over brief comments made by some loser who no one listens to in the first place.

I am a fan albeit a rational one. Like I said, this was not a case where we should have battled the media. The end result was negative and you're to blame. If you don't want to accept responsibility for that then that is on your conscious. I must say I'm not surprised as you often fail to respond when you're proven wrong on a matter.

And to get back to the topic at hand, you are upset at Strickland because you think he lied and owes the Bills and the players an apology. How about all the times you've called BillikenReport a liar on here and slandered him. When are you going to apologize to him? How are you any different than Strickland?

i never said strickland lied. i said he irresponsibly reported a rumor that wasnt a fact and turned out to be completely wrong.

while i am obviously not a fan of nate, it isnt because i called him a liar. i said i didnt appreciate his views on soderberg and some of the players he was (or wasnt) reporting on. i.e. we disagreed on the level of acceptance on players and coaches. imo that is a big difference that is a debate about opinion.

chosen one, he pretty much guaranteed they would not qualify to enter saint louis university and would both be at juco's this fall. i took that to mean enter school. the truth is they have reached the level or saint louis university students. they are not juco students.

That is not what he said. He said they were not going to qualify and they would have to attend a JUCO. If he would have said they hadn't qualified yet, I would have no problem with what he said.

i never said strickland lied. i said he irresponsibly reported a rumor that wasnt a fact and turned out to be completely wrong.

while i am obviously not a fan of nate, it isnt because i called him a liar. i said i didnt appreciate his views on soderberg and some of the players he was (or wasnt) reporting on. i.e. we disagreed on the level of acceptance on players and coaches. imo that is a big difference that is a debate about opinion.

I'm not gonna go back and look up all the things you've said about Nate but I'm pretty sure it was more than you two just having a difference of opinion or you not appreciating what he said about Sodie or some other players. I think you're sugar coating that to save face.

And here is a novel idea, have you ever thought about calling Strickland when he is on the radio? The guy gets more air time that Paris Hilton. He is on right now. Call him so we don't have to hear about this stuff anymore.

And media people report on rumors ALL THE TIME. If you spent all your time calling out media people who reported rumors that turned out to be false you'd barely have time to get in your 6 hours of workouts that you do every day.

Roy it is obvious to me and many others on this board that you get so tied up with an arguement that it doesn't matter how many people tell you that you're wrong. You still won't budge. It was telling that only one other poster responded that they'd sent an email to 1380. So for all the outcry about old Dirty Strick, you've managed to persuade one other diehard to complain. Great work. You should be a motivational speaker. You really can move people to action.

Roy it is obvious to me and many others on this board that you get so tied up with an arguement that it doesn't matter how many people tell you that you're wrong. You still won't budge. It was telling that only one other poster responded that they'd sent an email to 1380. So for all the outcry about old Dirty Strick, you've managed to persuade one other diehard to complain. Great work. You should be a motivational speaker. You really can move people to action.

you and footes are pretty much the only ones telling me i am wrong.

you and footes are pretty much the only ones telling me i am wrong.

Why haven't others come to your defense and said that they emailed the station? Obviously anyone who says they have now is lying.

Why haven't you called Strickland yourself? You've seemed to talk to just about everyone else but the person you have the beef with. Again, this is just another example of you wanting to get your rocks off by chatting up the media(Bernie this time).

Why haven't others come to your defense and said that they emailed the station? Obviously anyone who says they have now is lying.

Why haven't you called Strickland yourself? You've seemed to talk to just about everyone else but the person you have the beef with. Again, this is just another example of you wanting to get your rocks off by chatting up the media(Bernie this time).

why would anyone who said they had now, be lying. I didn't know we had to check in.

That is not what he said. He said they were not going to qualify and they would have to attend a JUCO. If he would have said they hadn't qualified yet, I would have no problem with what he said.

I heard Strickland and Bernie talking about the situation after the intial report and they were defending their source and what was said. They kept hammering home the point that the two individuals at question are not qualified today and that what they reported was correct regardless. That may have been them trying to save face after the fact, but that is all I heard. The point I think that is being missed though is that Bernie and Strickland reported information that they received from a SLU source, I would not be overly concerned with Strick, but whomever gave him this information and that individual likely comes from within the athletic department.

Why haven't you called Strickland yourself? You've seemed to talk to just about everyone else but the person you have the beef with.

i let the station know i didnt appreciate strickland's report. i have no reason to want to talk to andy strickland on the air as i have zero respect for his "reports" and i will be damned to let him have the last word as any radio station call in show would provide to the host/on the air personality.

i have called into frank and bob ramsey's show in the past when i had a beef with an angle they were presenting. the difference being i trusted and respected them and never feared i would be ambushed with an after disconnect last word as i believe strickland would have reacted.

more have come to my defense on this issue than supported you. it is pretty much you and footes and that is it.

Believe he also said (around the time when the ACT/SAT results were to be reported to the student), then Cotto did not qualify. Clearly, the inference and the breaking news was that Cotto did not qualify. After having retaken the test and test scores announced to the student, the inference would be that he failed. The very reason Strickland was on the air at that time was because to report on new updates. Previously, all were excited that RM had signed 7 guys. Then, bad news crept in about their ability to qualify. Then, 2 months earlier it was reported that Cotto, in fact, did not pass and that Cotto would retake the test. Strickland then would come back to give an update. Eager to break news, Strickland reported that Cotto retook the test and that a SLU source told him he is not qualied and that both Cotto and Reed would enroll in JUCO.

Regardless of fault and whether or not Strickland was correct, why not report:

"Good news for SLU. Contrary to prior reports, it now appears that Cotto did passed his test, that both Reed and Cotto complete their summer coursework, that both are now enrolled and have started school and SLU and that it looks like both will, in fact, be able to play this year for RM."

Why break bad news and then hide when good news comes along.

BTW, for those who think no announcment should be made until they are cleared, I am certain that you are now complaining to the Post Dispatch which ran a headline in the Sports Page today "Jackson, Rams agree to a deal" correctly pointing out that that Jackson and the Rams have not agreed to the details, have not signed the contract and that the League has not approved the contract. Therefore, nothing need be reported until after Roger G approves the same.

why would anyone who said they had now, be lying. I didn't know we had to check in.

I would think if people were really that outraged and on board with Roy they would have replied that they had followed his lead an sent an email to station management. At least one poster did. I find it odd that as many views and replies that this thread has drawn, that those who side with Roy wouldn't let him know they sent an email.

I would think if people were really that outraged and on board with Roy they would have replied that they had followed his lead an sent an email to station management. At least one poster did. I find it odd that as many views and replies that this thread has drawn, that those who side with Roy wouldn't let him know they sent an email.

Most people don't feel the need to share everything they do with a message board. Only certain people feel the need to share an email exchange they had with Dan Ceaser.