time to let 1380 know

below are the two e-mail addresses of the two heads of 1380. i sent them an e-mail this morning reminding them that they backed strickland in early july when he reported that cotto and reed would never enroll at saint louis university.

it is time that 1380 and in particular strickland apologize to both of these young men and to saint louis university for his slanderous "reporting".

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

below are the two e-mail addresses of the two heads of 1380. i sent them an e-mail this morning reminding them that they backed strickland in early july when he reported that cotto and reed would never enroll at saint louis university.

it is time that 1380 and in particular strickland apologize to both of these young men and to saint louis university for his slanderous "reporting".

[email protected]

[email protected]

Don't we want to wait untill they have been cleared by the clearinghouse?

Don't we want to wait untill they have been cleared by the clearinghouse?

strickland said they wouldnt qualify to attend saint louis university and would be at a juco this fall. he said nothing about a clearing through the ncaa clearing house. just that they wouldnt qualify for saint louis university.

p.s. if they dont clear the ncaa clearinghouse and are ineligible to play basketball at saint louis university, there are a lot of folks at slu that are going to look bad imo. i.e. i got to believe that slu and rickma and his staff are pretty darn sure of what is going to happen.

[email protected]

[email protected]

Once again, Roy is making SLU fans look like jackasses to the rest of the St. Louis sports viewing public. Bernie essentially ripped him a new one. Now that he got torn up on the Bernie board he's going to come over here and cry to get some attention. Drop it dude. You are hurting the image of the fans and program once again. And notice he didn't respond to Bernie.

http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.p...b7550f60d20cdac

Once again, Roy is making SLU fans look like jackasses to the rest of the St. Louis sports viewing public. Bernie essentially ripped him a new one. Now that he got torn up on the Bernie board he's going to come over here and cry to get some attention. Drop it dude. You are hurting the image of the fans and program once again. And notice he didn't respond to Bernie.

bernie declared the issue was off topic (even though the thread was titled "does strickland know what he is talking about" seemed on topic to me) so we have been discussing via pm since. it's bernie's forum and i respect that. same here. if steve demanded such on a thread, i would do the same.

your statement "he got torn up on the Bernie board he's going to come over here and cry to get some attention." is laughable. i dont think anyone would say i post at billikens.com to get attention because of a response at bernie's pressbox.

in this instance strickland needs to be reprimanded since he has been proven wrong. he considers himself a journalist, he should thus report facts not innuendo and maybe's.

for you to defend him tells a lot about you. if you would prefer to defend strickland spreading lies instead of the reputation of our own players, how can possibly call yourself a billiken fan?

Yep, Roy sure embarrased us. How dare he stick up for our own players and call out a reporter on a blatant lie. Pathetic, Roy....

It's obvious RM hasn't been eating enough with Bernie. Looks like he's back on the anti-billiken bandwagon.

p.s. if they dont clear the ncaa clearinghouse and are ineligible to play basketball at saint louis university, there are a lot of folks at slu that are going to look bad imo. i.e. i got to believe that slu and rickma and his staff are pretty darn sure of what is going to happen.

I have no idea why you are on this rampage but wy not just leave it alone and root for the Billikens when the season starts. The staff and admin people at SLU have been working overtime the past 6 months on these issues. The mess at the school in KC is a major problem that we at SLU had nothing whatever to do with and all of the necessary papers have been filed with the NCAA. The young man's family got conned by a flim flam man and we had to try to deal with the aftermath. Cotto is a good student but because of the language differences he had to deal with issues on the ACT. He got a qualifiying score and it has to be approved by the clearinghouse. Everyone involved is working hard on this and it is ridiculous to criticize SLU when they are doing everything possible. I just got in the mail an incredibly well done brochure titled "Be a Billiken". It is a comprehensive overview of all of the academic and other programs at SLU and it is impressive in its presentation and its content. SLU is doing very well in its mission of educating young men and women in a vast array of specialties. The athletic program is just part of the picture and the new facilities are world class. The glass is way more than half full when it comes to

SLU but you seem to want to be negative all the time.

I have no idea why you are on this rampage but wy not just leave it alone and root for the Billikens when the season starts. The staff and admin people at SLU have been working overtime the past 6 months on these issues. The mess at the school in KC is a major problem that we at SLU had nothing whatever to do with and all of the necessary papers have been filed with the NCAA. The young man's family got conned by a flim flam man and we had to try to deal with the aftermath. Cotto is a good student but because of the language differences he had to deal with issues on the ACT. He got a qualifiying score and it has to be approved by the clearinghouse. Everyone involved is working hard on this and it is ridiculous to criticize SLU when they are doing everything possible. I just got in the mail an incredibly well done brochure titled "Be a Billiken". It is a comprehensive overview of all of the academic and other programs at SLU and it is impressive in its presentation and its content. SLU is doing very well in its mission of educating young men and women in a vast array of specialties. The athletic program is just part of the picture and the new facilities are world class. The glass is way more than half full when it comes to

You don't understand? Wouldn't you want to defend all of the positive things that you just discussed about the school? Or at least defend the two players in question?

Seems Roy is very much in the right on this and he hardly got smacked around. Seems Bernie copped out with the ole "don't hijack the thread" bit. It's pretty obvious that Bernie and Strickland were wrong and like a couple of babies, they are going to take it out on SLU for their poor reporting/researching.

And Strickland was right about what he initially reported about SLU players at the time he reported it. And I had a great source on that which backed up what Strick said. It's routine in major-college basketball for the media to discuss potential eligibility issues of recruits.

No he wasn't Bernie. He didn't say they were having problems and might not be eligble. He said they wouldn't be eligble and they would be headed to a JUCO. He was flat out wrong about this. He is wrong about a lot of stuff. He is the one person that gets me to turn off 1380.

You don't understand? Wouldn't you want to defend all of the positive things that you just discussed about the school? Or at least defend the two players in question?

Seems Roy is very much in the right on this and he hardly got smacked around. Seems Bernie copped out with the ole "don't hijack the thread" bit. It's pretty obvious that Bernie and Strickland were wrong and like a couple of babies, they are going to take it out on SLU for their poor reporting/researching.

I am in no way defending Strickland who is a jerk and anyone who has ever read this board knows what I think of Bernie, who is an egomaniac who has been an enemy of SLU for many years.

My comments were directed to Roy's comments about SLU as I quoted.

I am in no way defending Strickland who is a jerk and anyone who has ever read this board knows what I think of Bernie, who is an egomaniac who has been an enemy of SLU for many years.

My comments were directed to Roy's comments about SLU as I quoted.

Fair enough, my bad.

billikan, i can see where you took my "p.s." post as such, but if you read all the threads and consider the history of this situation and the fact that i sent 1380 management e-mails in july after stickland first made the slanderous comments on the 1380 airwaves, surely you see where my real point is,

that if there was even a chance these two young men were not going to become slu students anymore, it would be incredible.

i.e. strickland and bernie should see the whole picture and realize this isnt anywhere near the truth. the 1380 bosses, mr helmkamp and mr strelo should now recognize that the "great source" that strickland had in july was absolutely wrong and that both students will indeed be saint louis university students this week.

i am the one defending saint louis university and our new student athletes on the issue that they were slandered by 1380. sorry you misunderstood my posts my point was only to illustrate that if what stickland originally said was still true and now after school starts saint louis university would turn on these young men that would be horrible. we know that isnt going to happen. they are saint louis university students not left in the cold scrambling for a junior college somewhere as strickland guaranteed a month and a half ago.

i urge all to send 1380 a note as well.

No he wasn't Bernie. He didn't say they were having problems and might not be eligble. He said they wouldn't be eligble and they would be headed to a JUCO. He was flat out wrong about this. He is wrong about a lot of stuff. He is the one person that gets me to turn off 1380.

exactly brian, strickland should have never been allowed to make the leap from there were academic issues to be settled to his guarantee they would never be slu students. imo that was just irresponsible and unforgiveable. and it bothers me even more that 1380 allowed it then and hasnt corrected it since. it should not be allowed to be swept under the rug as though it didnt happen.

strickland wants to be the big story breaker, fine. but if he doesnt have 100% of the facts, he shouldnt be making guarantees. if he decides to take that flyer, and it turns out he is absolutely wrong, he should have to face the appropriate consequences. at minimum, the listenership should be aware of his track record. at most he should be disciplined by his employers.

bernie declared the issue was off topic (even though the thread was titled "does strickland know what he is talking about" seemed on topic to me) so we have been discussing via pm since. it's bernie's forum and i respect that. same here. if steve demanded such on a thread, i would do the same.

your statement "he got torn up on the Bernie board he's going to come over here and cry to get some attention." is laughable. i dont think anyone would say i post at billikens.com to get attention because of a response at bernie's pressbox.

in this instance strickland needs to be reprimanded since he has been proven wrong. he considers himself a journalist, he should thus report facts not innuendo and maybe's.

for you to defend him tells a lot about you. if you would prefer to defend strickland spreading lies instead of the reputation of our own players, how can possibly call yourself a billiken fan?

Ah, what would college sports be without overzealous boosters who can't seperate a hobby from a crusade. The perception of the biggest sportswriter in the town(and others as well) is that SLU fans are a bunch of misplaced whiners. We want to be big time but don't have the record to prove it and we complain about every last inch of column space and air play that we think we're slighted on. Roy, as the most outspoken Billiken fan, not only perpetuates this image but is probably one of the main reasons the image exists. Roy is definitely a big Billiken fan but he has reached the point where he does more harm than good. This Strickland thing is such a non issue and needs to be dropped. Sports radio personalities(who said they were journalist?) spend their whole days throwing on opinions on teams records, to who should start at QB to what thier favorite french fries are. I don't remember Roy getting all up in arms when Slaten use to go off on Soderberg or others. This is just Roy beating his chest to get some attention. It's obvious from his admittance that he is PM'ing Bernie that he gets off on getting in the ear and being known to the sports personalities in the community. It's just like when he had the spat with Randy and ended up going to lunch with him. These guys know how easy he is to placate and Roy just has to throw out "we'll have to have a beer sometime" and presto Roy has his Friday "date" set up. It's quite pathetic if you ask me. The program and the fans would be better served if he used his energy to address actual problems.

Brian & Broy, I couldn't agree with you more. Not only did Bernie defend mini-Bernie's report, The Big Man jumped into the fray also, by claiming that he also "had sources", who told him the same. Well I sure hope that Big Bernie & mini-Bernie are no longer using those two (2) sources, since they both proved to be highly unreliable. If Big Bernie really had a source, likely in the SLU Ath. Dept. I wonder who that would have been? Possibly another all-you-can-eat-pasta lover, buddy!

I truly believe that there was only one (1) "source" and that that source fed Big Bernie the incorrect info, which Big Bernie then passed along to mini-Bernie in a misguided attempt to help the little man look good to the 1380 bosses. As it turns out it just makes mini-Bernie look like more of a fool than he normally looks, in his attempts to look like a STL sports insider. It's a good thing for mini-Bernie that he is either related to the head of Reactor watches or has pictures of that individual, or Big Bernie, in compromising positions. If not for either of those possibilities we would no longer have to listen to the BS from the Little Man on 1380.

How much would it cost Big Bernie's little sidekick to come on the air and admit a mistake? That's all I would want-forget the apology, just admit the error which is a backdoor way of making an apology.

A side point-above in this thread you can find just another in a long series of worthless posts by Postcard. Is he the new Metz?

when did slaten ever slander a billiken player as strickland did this summer? slaten has always been a champion of the players regardless of what college team they played for.

slaten used to remind us constantly how he didnt like soderberg or weber, or $nyder, or hinson and it was no secret it was because all didnt recruit his son.

if slaten wants to opine about the billiken coach or any other coach, have at it. a stated opinion is no where near as bad as a presented fact that is not true.

if i crusade for the billikens so what? i am a fan. it is far better than your apparent messageboard crusade. imo, that is pathetic.

[email protected]

[email protected]

Like you slandered me by saying I'm Metz and buddies with postal. Maybe someone on the board gave him bad info, so it isn't slander.

when did slaten ever slander a billiken player as strickland did this summer? slaten has always been a champion of the players regardless of what college team they played for.

slaten used to remind us constantly how he didnt like soderberg or weber, or $nyder, or hinson and it was no secret it was because all didnt recruit his son.

if slaten wants to opine about the billiken coach or any other coach, have at it. a stated opinion is no where near as bad as a presented fact that is not true.

if i crusade for the billikens so what? i am a fan. it is far better than your apparent messageboard crusade. imo, that is pathetic.

If memory serves correct, I thought Slaten called all those coaches(and all D1 coaches in general) liars.

And besides you and a few of your lemmings on here, does anybody really care about this Strickland thing. Why haven't we heard from Majerus of the AD or anybody connected to SLU about this matter? If this was such a big deal I'm sure calls would be made and statements issued about this matter. Truth is, nobody cares. You're just hoping to get a lunch "date" with Bernie so you can feed whatever sick urge you get from being a Sports Journalist jock sniffer. I've never seen anyone quite like you that can beat an issue into the ground. Didn't you opine back in the day about Leon Powells grade issues when you had nothing to back it up on. You were just throwing out an opinion that grades were the reason he hadn't signed on with SLU. You turned out to be right but at the time you had no information to back up what you said. At least Strickland has a soure albiet a misinformed one.

If memory serves correct, I thought Slaten called all those coaches(and all D1 coaches in general) liars.

And besides you and a few of your lemmings on here, does anybody really care about this Strickland thing. Why haven't we heard from Majerus of the AD or anybody connected to SLU about this matter? If this was such a big deal I'm sure calls would be made and statements issued about this matter. Truth is, nobody cares. You're just hoping to get a lunch "date" with Bernie so you can feed whatever sick urge you get from being a Sports Journalist jock sniffer. I've never seen anyone quite like you that can beat an issue into the ground. Didn't you opine back in the day about Leon Powells grade issues when you had nothing to back it up on. You were just throwing out an opinion that grades were the reason he hadn't signed on with SLU. You turned out to be right but at the time you had no information to back up what you said. At least Strickland has a soure albiet a misinformed one.

We don't know if Strickland had a source or not.

Didn't you opine back in the day about Leon Powells grade issues when you had nothing to back it up on. You were just throwing out an opinion that grades were the reason he hadn't signed on with SLU. You turned out to be right but at the time you had no information to back up what you said. At least Strickland has a soure albiet a misinformed one.

i'd like you to produce that thread. i think i said something more to the effect we didnt know why leon powell wasnt being recruited and threw out a few reasons including a MAYBE it was academic. i guarantee you will not find that i emphatically said he wasnt going to make it academically as what strickland did to cotto and reed.

as to why slu isnt up in arms, we cant get slu to try to get on the airwaves or in the paper for anything. so that surprises you?

Didn't you opine back in the day about Leon Powells grade issues when you had nothing to back it up on.

The fact that every single Vashon player outside of the kids on the honor roll have had grade issues isn't exactly "nothing." And it isn't hard to find out what kids are on the honor roll.

When do any reporters print or admit to reporting something that did not turn out to be true? - not very often. For those who follow sports the best way to minimize a reporter who continues to make wrong predictions/reports is to have those who they report about show them how wrong they were by succeeding on the court and it won't take long for listeners to realize who is worth listening too. As far as Strickland is concerned, who cares what he has to say or not say - he is right once in awhile but wrong more so that speaks to his creditability. My guess is what happened is someone at the SLU was asked about the two and they said, it does not look good right now. If I had to guess based on where things are right now I would say they would be in a JUCCO next year. Afterwards, Cotto gets the test score and Reed finishes up some courses - both were long hills to climb. So, now they look like they will qualify so the info looks bad. Leave it alone, lets do our talking on the court.

Like you slandered me by saying I'm Metz and buddies with postal. Maybe someone on the board gave him bad info, so it isn't slander.

Slander (or in this case libel) has to falsely and negatively reflect on your reputation. Roy did not falsely reflect on your reputation. Your negative reputation was well earned.

When do any reporters print or admit to reporting something that did not turn out to be true? - not very often. For those who follow sports the best way to minimize a reporter who continues to make wrong predictions/reports is to have those who they report about show them how wrong they were by succeeding on the court and it won't take long for listeners to realize who is worth listening too. As far as Strickland is concerned, who cares what he has to say or not say - he is right once in awhile but wrong more so that speaks to his creditability. My guess is what happened is someone at the SLU was asked about the two and they said, it does not look good right now. If I had to guess based on where things are right now I would say they would be in a JUCCO next year. Afterwards, Cotto gets the test score and Reed finishes up some courses - both were long hills to climb. So, now they look like they will qualify so the info looks bad. Leave it alone, lets do our talking on the court.

I agree Cheese. Stricklands false reporting will catch up to him and will eventually lead to his demise. The more times he does it, the more people will hear it and learn that he has no clue. He will soon become even more irrelevant than he already is.