First game at New Arena

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we are definitely back to the slu "cia" methods of what information is available to us the fans again. sighhh..

Why do you say that? RM has been very forthcoming with what he wants to get done on the schedule and many times on his radio show mentioned that we are having trouble finalizing a deal with MSU.

Should we have had a press announcement to say MSU will not be on the schedule this year?

Why do you say that?

we have had the least billiken news this summer that we have had in years it seems to me. our ticket renewals are due in a few days and we have no clue other than the a-10 announcement about scheduling. we have two open roster spots, three open coaching/staff positions, no news (admittedly would have to be leaked) about recruiting, it just seems like it is cia business as usual.

this isnt about rickma. this is about the entire athletic dept. (that said, rickma could make an occaisional radio tv appearance over the summer and it wouldnt kill him).

i will never understand this pr stance. it would seem to me it would be fairly easy to make periodic athletic dept announcements that give us fans an idea of what the hell is going on. and i would think keeping the fans apprised of happenings would only propogate fan interest and in turn generate ticket sales. i dont see how you can defend slu's lack of effort in keeping the fans involved in happenings.

as to missouri state, you know it wouldnt be a bad idea to publically announce that missouri state wont continue the series. imo silence only leads the casual fan to believe that slu wont play.

let's have a presser to say there is nothing to say!!!!!!!!!!

if you really believe that (there is nothing to say), then you should be more p!ssed than your sarcastic reply indicates.

you dont have to have a press conference, but why isnt may, or rickma, or wright, or moser, or someone affiliated with the school making as many radio or tv appearances to just talking about the program. they could announce the games we do have lined up and signed. they could vaguely talk about recruiting and at least give us an idea as to what is happening. they could discuss summer workouts and what players are working on and improving in.

hell talk about why no one is allowed to park at the arena.

the point is, if we want to sell tickets, i would think we would want to be front and center as much as possible. not go into secret on an as needed to know basis.

if you really believe that (there is nothing to say), then you should be more p!ssed than your sarcastic reply indicates.

you dont have to have a press conference, but why isnt may, or rickma, or wright, or moser, or someone affiliated with the school making as many radio or tv appearances to just talking about the program. they could announce the games we do have lined up and signed. they could vaguely talk about recruiting and at least give us an idea as to what is happening. they could discuss summer workouts and what players are working on and improving in.

hell talk about why no one is allowed to park at the arena.

the point is, if we want to sell tickets, i would think we would want to be front and center as much as possible. not go into secret on an as needed to know basis.

Our AD has been pretty low-key since coming aboard. Cheryl was pretty impressive when it came to dealing with the media.

Our AD has been pretty low-key since coming aboard. Cheryl was pretty impressive when it came to dealing with the media.

Guess it depends upon what your definition of "pretty impressive" is. Granted, CL was quite impressive when she was on the air. For example, I thought she did extremely well addressing the MVC v. A10 "controversy" which coincidentally occurred during our rather good run during the A-10 tournament. The Valley was at its peak, Savvis Center sold out and yet we were playing at some out of the way gym in New Jersey. Low point for the A-10 and high point for the Valley and Elgin. Also, I presume she had some role in getting some nice PR for SLU and herself by getting some stories about her growing up in St. Louis, coming back home, etc. Call it a fluff piece or whatever, at least is was publicity.

At the same time, I do not think she was on the airwaves and/or in print ENOUGH. From a distance, it seemed like she was making changes and progress with the athletic departments and doing a good job but there was just not enough. Excuses were many: the team did not have success, no NCAA appearances, poor to no recruiting, an arena project which she revived but then which was running short on donations/money, a "no-name" head coach and a head coach who lacked the charm, style and past success to draw attention.

Now, the money is here, Chaveitz is not only complete but is awesome, we have 2 senior stars who should command attention and stories here locally, we have 7 young and talented newcomers and we have the head coach which probably all but 20 schools would die for. RM has the "name" factor, is quite entertaining to listen to and yet there is not enough media attention. By way of example, I've been to and through Memphis a few times over the past 2 years and John Callipari billboards have been all around Memphis (I saw at least 10) both prior to the national championship game as well as after. I cannot understand why SLU does not have billboards of RM, no coaches show (radio or tv other than that 1 hour chore he must do during the season). I cannot understand why SLU doesn't use him in the media to draw attention. I'd prominently display him somewhere in the Unversitas magazine for Alums every month - not just once. I'd have a meet the coach/team day for ticket holders/alums -- BTW, when is that bratwurst event with RM? Where's the appreciation day for all of us who donated money, bought bricks, paid increased ticket prices and now arena fees? If RM were the coach at nearly any other school, the local paper would be doing more interviews and stories about him, ESPN would be STILL in town doing "day in the life of" RM, mailings would be going out touting the new head coach and his incoming players and there would be a groundswell of attention and enthusiasm. Frankly, I am excited about the up-coming year for the Bills but I doubt that the average St. Louis sports fan is.

If RM is going to avoid the press, then May needs to overly compensate for it. Instead, he is the same, if not worse. Why hire a big name coach and not show him off? Why hire an athletic director who doesn't want be in front of a microphone? Julius Hunter, please help these guys!!

Guess it depends upon what your definition of "pretty impressive" is. Granted, CL was quite impressive when she was on the air. For example, I thought she did extremely well addressing the MVC v. A10 "controversy" which coincidentally occurred during our rather good run during the A-10 tournament. The Valley was at its peak, Savvis Center sold out and yet we were playing at some out of the way gym in New Jersey. Low point for the A-10 and high point for the Valley and Elgin. Also, I presume she had some role in getting some nice PR for SLU and herself by getting some stories about her growing up in St. Louis, coming back home, etc. Call it a fluff piece or whatever, at least is was publicity.

At the same time, I do not think she was on the airwaves and/or in print ENOUGH. From a distance, it seemed like she was making changes and progress with the athletic departments and doing a good job but there was just not enough. Excuses were many: the team did not have success, no NCAA appearances, poor to no recruiting, an arena project which she revived but then which was running short on donations/money, a "no-name" head coach and a head coach who lacked the charm, style and past success to draw attention.

Now, the money is here, Chaveitz is not only complete but is awesome, we have 2 senior stars who should command attention and stories here locally, we have 7 young and talented newcomers and we have the head coach which probably all but 20 schools would die for. RM has the "name" factor, is quite entertaining to listen to and yet there is not enough media attention. By way of example, I've been to and through Memphis a few times over the past 2 years and John Callipari billboards have been all around Memphis (I saw at least 10) both prior to the national championship game as well as after. I cannot understand why SLU does not have billboards of RM, no coaches show (radio or tv other than that 1 hour chore he must do during the season). I cannot understand why SLU doesn't use him in the media to draw attention. I'd prominently display him somewhere in the Unversitas magazine for Alums every month - not just once. I'd have a meet the coach/team day for ticket holders/alums -- BTW, when is that bratwurst event with RM? Where's the appreciation day for all of us who donated money, bought bricks, paid increased ticket prices and now arena fees? If RM were the coach at nearly any other school, the local paper would be doing more interviews and stories about him, ESPN would be STILL in town doing "day in the life of" RM, mailings would be going out touting the new head coach and his incoming players and there would be a groundswell of attention and enthusiasm. Frankly, I am excited about the up-coming year for the Bills but I doubt that the average St. Louis sports fan is.

If RM is going to avoid the press, then May needs to overly compensate for it. Instead, he is the same, if not worse. Why hire a big name coach and not show him off? Why hire an athletic director who doesn't want be in front of a microphone? Julius Hunter, please help these guys!!

be careful clock, with all those excellent suggestions, you may overload cowboy who thinks there is no reason to talk about the billikens in the media.

be careful clock, with all those excellent suggestions, you may overload cowboy who thinks there is no reason to talk about the billikens in the media.

if you recall the only way Spoon got any acknowledgement in our off season was to get invited to the Cards games and do

some radio; I can think of several reasons why this is bad right now,

1) the local media is trying to build excitement for a low budget wild card entry for the Cards.

2) it is very hot and muggy out there and RM would last maybe two innings

3) RM needs someone to practice his message if he does guest appearances "live"

4) as to Billboards and media in general let's wait until we can celebrate some victories on the court before we ask notice

goslu68,

sadly spoon was likely doing that little bit of advance work on the run. i.e. shannon or jack buck would know he was at the game and knowing he is always a great sound bite would get him in the booth. the truth is the slu athletic dept should have been getting him on the talk shows and getting bernie bits etc regularly besides the occasional chat with jack buck. same with romar and soderberg, both who while no where near the nightclub acts of spoon and rickma were still very charming speakers that could hold their own.

no way this should be silence time coming from the slu campus. we should be beating the drum as much as possible. if nothing else sell come see the new digs. opportunites missed.

Clock, I think all of your suggestions are great, but in the end only one thing will lead to sustainable attention for the program: winning. We all have fond memories of the NCAA runs under Spoon, but very few of us remember the first year of Spoon's program, when the team only won 12 games. In fact, there was still very little general buzz around the SLU program during the '93-94 season until the team opened up the season with a long undefeated streak. I can tell you the exact moment the program caught the attention of the average sports fan in St. Louis: it was the December game at the arena against SIUC when--for the first time ever--the arena staff had to remove the large SLU banners covering much of the uppper-deck seats in order to accomodate a largely walk-up, sold out crowd. Spoonball in St. Louis was born on that night, and the SI story, sellouts, media buzz, foam spoons, bobbleheads, and other goodwill quickly followed.

The same phenomenon took place last year with the MU football program. I remember the MU administration and certain media members making excuses for the huge blocks of empty seats at Faurot Field during the first half of last season. Once it became clear to the general public that MU's success was legitimate, the fanbase grew dramatically and now--less than 9 months later--MU football tickets are selling out minutes after they become available. MU has become the darling of the local media that SLU basketball was 14 years ago.

If Majerus's team comes out this season and runs off an impressive early record that flirts with the top 25, no one will care a bit how many radio interviews took place in July, how many billboards dot the local highways, or how many newscasts highlight the coming season. Winning is THE WAY to market a college basketball program; everything else is ancillary.

david, i agree that the media will come to us when we win big. however, why cant we go to the media in the meantime. those sports talk shows are dying for something a little different every now and then. you cant tell me a weekly visit from rickma with a few great stories wouldnt go over.

same with rickma working the bernie grapevine.

it never hurts to try to ignite the fire at any opportunity.

Clock, I think all of your suggestions are great, but in the end only one thing will lead to sustainable attention for the program: winning. We all have fond memories of the NCAA runs under Spoon, but very few of us remember the first year of Spoon's program, when the team only won 12 games. In fact, there was still very little general buzz around the SLU program during the '93-94 season until the team opened up the season with a long undefeated streak. I can tell you the exact moment the program caught the attention of the average sports fan in St. Louis: it was the December game at the arena against SIUC when--for the first time ever--the arena staff had to remove the large SLU banners covering much of the uppper-deck seats in order to accomodate a largely walk-up, sold out crowd. Spoonball in St. Louis was born on that night, and the SI story, sellouts, media buzz, foam spoons, bobbleheads, and other goodwill quickly followed.

The same phenomenon took place last year with the MU football program. I remember the MU administration and certain media members making excuses for the huge blocks of empty seats at Faurot Field during the first half of last season. Once it became clear to the general public that MU's success was legitimate, the fanbase grew dramatically and now--less than 9 months later--MU football tickets are selling out minutes after they become available. MU has become the darling of the local media that SLU basketball was 14 years ago.

If Majerus's team comes out this season and runs off an impressive early record that flirts with the top 25, no one will care a bit how many radio interviews took place in July, how many billboards dot the local highways, or how many newscasts highlight the coming season. Winning is THE WAY to market a college basketball program; everything else is ancillary.

I don't think any reasonable person would argue that winning is the best recipe for publicity. With winning comes the fruits of labor. However, don't you think that plan is a little REACTIVE? One would hope that if SLU is trying to maximize it's return on Chaefetz and improve the stature of the program, it would take a PROACTIVE approach to selling the program. I cannot believe for a second that radio air time is in such high demand that 590, 1380, etc couldn't find 30 minutes a week for a SLU spot if AD May was constantly asking for it. You can't tell me that we couldn't find somebody to write a column once a month (that's 3 columns over the summer) about SLU...if we were badgering the paper for respect.

The point is that most are probably right that we haven't quite "earned" a ton of press time. However, I certainly think we could do more than simply win to get it. I feel that if our people were fostering relationships with the media, buying a couple dinners, constantly inquiring as to the lack of SLU pub, we would be better off. We just had a thread about how there is sooooo much crap on the radio and TV. There's more than enough room for SLU if the media is properly motivated.

EDIT - Just checked STL Today.com and the last story still stands at mid-April. No story on the coach leaving. No story on the coach getting hired. No story on the A-10 commish. UNACCEPTABLE

Nark. cannot disagree with your post but, like Roy, ask why we must wait until we win before we get any press. SLU should get some press all the time just because we are the local school. When we win, we get even more.

As to Spoonball, correct me in that my memory is not perfect. I remember quite well the 93-94 season and you are correct in that success did not really take off until we won the next year and the year after. At the same time, I also remember billboards, bumper stickers and car window decals by SLU. My 1990 Toyota Corrolla, in fact, sported the Spoonball sticker in the rear window. The sticker, of course, had 2 orange basketballs in place of the letters "oo" in Spoonball. When did this marketing campaign begin? I presume it started with the beginning of the 93-94 season just after the hiring of Spoonhour and prior to the first season. I remember receiving a letter with the window decal in the mail. My point: SLU didn't start mailing these decals and bumper stickers out and start erecting billboards AFTER the December SIUC game and in the MIDDLE of the season. Are you suggesting that the marketing campaign began the next year - 94-95. I agree that the average St. Louis sports fan was jumping on the Spoonball bandwagon in 94 -95 but I thought the bandwagon started rolling out in 93-94. I could be wrong but don't believe so.

BTW, I do vividly recall the arena staff removing those banners and cheering with all of the others. Good times.

Nark. cannot disagree with your post but, like Roy, ask why we must wait until we win before we get any press. SLU should get some press all the time just because we are the local school. When we win, we get even more.

As to Spoonball, correct me in that my memory is not perfect. I remember quite well the 93-94 season and you are correct in that success did not really take off until we won the next year and the year after. At the same time, I also remember billboards, bumper stickers and car window decals by SLU. My 1990 Toyota Corrolla, in fact, sported the Spoonball sticker in the rear window. The sticker, of course, had 2 orange basketballs in place of the letters "oo" in Spoonball. When did this marketing campaign begin? I presume it started with the beginning of the 93-94 season just after the hiring of Spoonhour and prior to the first season. I remember receiving a letter with the window decal in the mail. My point: SLU didn't start mailing these decals and bumper stickers out and start erecting billboards AFTER the December SIUC game and in the MIDDLE of the season. Are you suggesting that the marketing campaign began the next year - 94-95. I agree that the average St. Louis sports fan was jumping on the Spoonball bandwagon in 94 -95 but I thought the bandwagon started rolling out in 93-94. I could be wrong but don't believe so.

BTW, I do vividly recall the arena staff removing those banners and cheering with all of the others. Good times.

Spoon's first year was '92-93.

Clock, Spoon's first season was 92-93. Like you, I don't remember all of the details from over 15 years ago, but I believe most of the big promotions came after the early success of the 93-94 team. In 94-95, they had a great product, and they marketed the heck out of it. I am sure there was marketing the year before, but I would guess that it increased three-fold the following year due to the increased corporate marketing interest.

I think everyone is misunderstanding my point. I agree that all of the marketing ideas proposed are good and necessary. My point is that these activities, while necessary, will only make very small, incremental imrpovements to local fan interest and popularity. Winning is the only thing that can cause widespread and sustainable changes. For example, the Blues went absolutely nuts on marketing and promotions last season. While this big spend made a huge difference in fan interest for a few months, by season's end the poor product on the ice proved that the benefit was not sustainable. The Rams, which were arguably more popular than the cardinals from 99-03, are struggling through the same issues right now. Some of these pr things are free or near free, but the money for costly items would probably be better spent on improving the product by increasing the funding for travel, coaching, and other direct resources.

Clock, Spoon's first season was 92-93. Like you, I don't remember all of the details from over 15 years ago, but I believe most of the big promotions came after the early success of the 93-94 team. In 94-95, they had a great product, and they marketed the heck out of it. I am sure there was marketing the year before, but I would guess that it increased three-fold the following year due to the increased corporate marketing interest.

I think everyone is misunderstanding my point. I agree that all of the marketing ideas proposed are good and necessary. My point is that these activities, while necessary, will only make very small, incremental imrpovements to local fan interest and popularity. Winning is the only thing that can cause widespread and sustainable changes. For example, the Blues went absolutely nuts on marketing and promotions last season. While this big spend made a huge difference in fan interest for a few months, by season's end the poor product on the ice proved that the benefit was not sustainable. The Rams, which were arguably more popular than the cardinals from 99-03, are struggling through the same issues right now. Some of these pr things are free or near free, but the money for costly items would probably be better spent on improving the product by increasing the funding for travel, coaching, and other direct resources.

Good points. Agree that a marketing campaign really takes off when the team wins. At the same time, both SLU and the Blues had a marketing campaign in place prior to the success on the court/ice. Marketing campaigns cannot replaces winning. My point: where has been the marketing campaign since the hiring of RM over a year ago. Where's the marketing campaign for the new arena. We, the loyal guys, bought our bricks and paid our fees/increased ticket prices. When will SLU wake up to the fact that they have a HOF coach which all but the top whatever programs would die for. SLU's marketing program: hide the coach, keep the AD off the airwaves and hope the public doesn't realize there is a "change of management." If I bought a highly successful restaruant with a great chef, I'd keep quiet and hope no one knows there's been a change of ownership/head chef. If I replaced the head chef (Brad) with RM, I would not keep this a secret. Do SLU's actions make sense to you?

If I replaced the head chef (Brad) with RM, I would not keep this a secret. Do SLU's actions make sense to you?

No, they don't, but we are still in July, which is one of the slowest periods for college basketball because the students are off for the summer and practice, games, and signings are long past and a long way off. I hope we see the real marketing when the weather cools in September/October. This is when the combination of Majerus, Lisch/Liddell, the new arena, and the new talent should be marketed at full tilt. Until then, the message will largely be lost among vacation, the Cardinals, and the Rams.

No, they don't, but we are still in July, which is one of the slowest periods for college basketball because the students are off for the summer and practice, games, and signings are long past and a long way off. I hope we see the real marketing when the weather cools in September/October. This is when the combination of Majerus, Lisch/Liddell, the new arena, and the new talent should be marketed at full tilt. Until then, the message will largely be lost among vacation, the Cardinals, and the Rams.

Fair points. Curious, though, did you expect a marketing program last year? I did but guess I am not surprised. In hindsight, RM predicted it would be a tough year last year - which it was. Also, not too long ago, RM said the rebuilding might take longer than he thought - 2 years. RM does not want the attention/expectations and pressures put on him when he knows he has poor talent but at some point, the program must still sell itself, be proud of its new head coach and market the tea a little.

david, i am not talking about full blown marketing campaign's that would spend slu money to enact. i am talking about rickma or other significant billikens appearing on radio talk shows, sports plus, timmermann writing on his blog, rickma getting a bit in a saturday bernie's bits, etc. there is no reason that isnt happening. that is the result of either flat out not trying or just sheer laziness imo.

but if you no a reason that it isnt possible the above doesnt occur on a fairly regular occasion please let us know. and i aint buying the "out of season" excuse. all the sports have "out of season". they still get their time with the media.

david, i am not talking about full blown marketing campaign's that would spend slu money to enact. i am talking about rickma or other significant billikens appearing on radio talk shows, sports plus, timmermann writing on his blog, rickma getting a bit in a saturday bernie's bits, etc. there is no reason that isnt happening. that is the result of either flat out not trying or just sheer laziness imo.

but if you no a reason that it isnt possible the above doesnt occur on a fairly regular occasion please let us know. and i aint buying the "out of season" excuse. all the sports have "out of season". they still get their time with the media.

Exactly.

I'll take it a step further. We knew - or should have known based upon his prior experiences at Utah - that RM does not like dealing with the local media and doesn't want to go around shaking hands with the fan base. At his age and with his experience, I believe we have no choice but to give RM a pass. He is what he is, our program has had very few periods of success these past 50 years and beggars cannot be choosy. Therefore, I place the blame upon AD May. So far, he appears to be totally useless. I have notice absolutely no difference before his hire and since. All he appears to be doing is cashing a paycheck. For those who think I am being too hard on him, please correct and let me know what he has done. I can recall 2 or 3 intereviews initially but then ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Business as normal in the athletic department has to stop.

Another topic: Is it just me or has RM stopped giving speeches across the country. I know he did while at ESPN and then had to fulfill his promises to speak last summer but still... Have heard NOTHING about RM all summer long.

Also, I thought RM would conduct his own summer camp, have fun participating with other coaches at their camps and the like. AAU level or otherwise. If he did and brought in Doc Rivers, Van Horn, Bogut, etc., he'd get all kinds of attention. As a kid, I enjoyed going to Rich Grawer's camp when I was in grade school. Local kids like me got to meet and get instruction from Grawer and some of the players, practice and use all that West Pine gym offered, recall Stiponovich and other college players making an appearance and then wearing my SLU T-shirt all summer long. I couldn't wait to watch Grawer and Bills that Fall. Are college coaches still doing these camps anymore? My oldest is only 6 (too young for most basketball camps) but I would love for SLU to offer something that would help get my kids interested in Billiken athletics.

SLU doesn't control Bernie's Bits or Timmerman's blog. At least Majerus has the full respect of Bernie, unlike the last coach. The blog and the bits will mention SLU when there is news to blog about. How many bits, blogs, or stories are you seeing come out of the basketball programs at MU, UI, and Carbondale these days? I don't believe marketing, public relations, or other efforts make a damn bit of difference in July and August unless there is some breaking news to tie it to. SLU can make all the sales pitches they want to the local media, but Rams training camp, the Cardinals pennant race, and the fast-approaching MU and UI football seasons are the only things the local sports media and fan cares about right now. There are not an unlimited number of opportunities to grab the attention of the media outlets, so why not save the efforts until the Fall when people may pay attention or care?

SLU doesn't control Bernie's Bits or Timmerman's blog. At least Majerus has the full respect of Bernie, unlike the last coach. The blog and the bits will mention SLU when there is news to blog about. How many bits, blogs, or stories are you seeing come out of the basketball programs at MU, UI, and Carbondale these days? I don't believe marketing, public relations, or other efforts make a damn bit of difference in July and August unless there is some breaking news to tie it to. SLU can make all the sales pitches they want to the local media, but Rams training camp, the Cardinals pennant race, and the fast-approaching MU and UI football seasons are the only things the local sports media and fan cares about right now. There are not an unlimited number of opportunities to grab the attention of the media outlets, so why not save the efforts until the Fall when people may pay attention or care?

of course they dont "control" those outlets. however, what are our efforts to get included? you cant tell me that if rickma had passed the breakout of the aussie coach to bernie prior to the last bits column, bernie wouldnt have ran with that? or same with timmermann and his blog? it appeared to me that the athletic dept was content to plant that story at slubillikens.com and that was it. how many st louis casual sports fans do you think open slubillikens.com? i would guess less than 1.

i dont care how many stories other schools are getting. i only care about slu.

as to making a difference, sell one more season ticket it is worth it. we are in the middle of selling season tickets right now. why wouldnt we want to be as visiable as possible?

save? you want to save news about say the aussie coach for three months from now? you want to save updates on teresa lisch playing in europe right now for three months from now?

you want to save a schedule closing that might really hype the program for three months from now?

the point is, there should be a regular flow of information. not just 3 stories in october.

it boggles my mind that folks endorse our silence.