Bloom off the Rose?

slu72

At this time last year I believe RM had signed 5 players in a recruiting blitz the likes of which we'd never witnessed. This year not so dramatic. In fact I don't think we've signed anyone from the 2009 class. Now granted, he's filled out this year's class with 7 apparent quality D1 players. That's assuming WR and RC have in fact qualified. But am a little surprised, not panicked, no one from 2009 has given us a verbal. Any thoughts on as to why we've not seen at least a few firm verbals at this stage in the cycle?

On a side note: Looks like Bryant Allen's going where he can play football and hoops. So scratch him from the wish list.

At this time last year I believe RM had signed 5 players in a recruiting blitz the likes of which we'd never witnessed. This year not so dramatic. In fact I don't think we've signed anyone from the 2009 class. Now granted, he's filled out this year's class with 7 apparent quality D1 players. That's assuming WR and RC have in fact qualified. But am a little surprised, not panicked, no one from 2009 has given us a verbal. Any thoughts on as to why we've not seen at least a few firm verbals at this stage in the cycle?

On a side note: Looks like Bryant Allen's going where he can play football and hoops. So scratch him from the wish list.

'72 is back to being '72. Lets all look forward to the handwringing!

'72 is back to being '72. Lets all look forward to the handwringing!

For whatever reason there doesn't appear to be a lot of early orals. This class seems to be waiting to verbal. I would be nervous if other programs were getting players. July is a big recruiting month. I'm looking for things to open up in August.

Under normal circumstances, most kids typically do not verbal until late summer - starting mid July at the earliest. I know that every year can be different but I would hardly be overly concerned in June. Some things should start popping in a 3 weeks or so.

Well, 5 of our 7 recruits are from Missouri and Illinois and a sixth came from Majerus's backyard. This year the Wisconsin prospect has already verballed, and given our needs, the pickings in Illinois and Missouri are pretty slim. Some key midwestern targets -- Griffey, Wood, Capobianco -- all verballed early. Allen wants to play football.

So the staff is left having to play the waiting game with a lot of targets outside our area, some who are receiving high major interest from schools closer to home and won't complete official visits until August. It's a tough situation.

Well, 5 of our 7 recruits are from Missouri and Illinois and a sixth came from Majerus's backyard. This year the Wisconsin prospect has already verballed, and given our needs, the pickings in Illinois and Missouri are pretty slim. Some key midwestern targets -- Griffey, Wood, Capobianco -- all verballed early. Allen wants to play football.

So the staff is left having to play the waiting game with a lot of targets outside our area, some who are receiving high major interest from schools closer to home and won't complete official visits until August. It's a tough situation.

I think the situation is also vastly different from last year in that the staff was basically recruiting a whole new team and telling them that they would get plenty of playing time if they signed. Now we have 7 new players so the new recruits have to evaluate how they fit in with that mix of players and the coaches have the need and the luxury to be more patient so they can fill in with the players we really need to complement this team. If I had my druthers I would love to see us get a highly athletic 3 man who could score and rebound and a knockdown pure shooter. If we could just fill those two needs, assuming the 7 are eligible and keep up their grades, then we will have a nice 9 man rotation and we can be really selective in the next few years to focus on the best players available.

For whatever reason there doesn't appear to be a lot of early orals. This class seems to be waiting to verbal. I would be nervous if other programs were getting players. July is a big recruiting month. I'm looking for things to open up in August.

i believe the quiet period that college coaches are currently in ends july 5th. i would think that is when things will begin to move. come august, if we are still sitting with nothing going on, then one can start to wonder.

Guest BillikenReport

i believe the quiet period that college coaches are currently in ends july 5th. i would think that is when things will begin to move. come august, if we are still sitting with nothing going on, then one can start to wonder.

I think a lot of kids are waiting until the end of the July evaluation period to see what else opens up.

Matt Vogrich told me that he was waiting until around that time to make his decision. I think he will end up at SLU.

- Nate

I think the situation is also vastly different from last year in that the staff was basically recruiting a whole new team and telling them that they would get plenty of playing time if they signed. Now we have 7 new players so the new recruits have to evaluate how they fit in with that mix of players and the coaches have the need and the luxury to be more patient so they can fill in with the players we really need to complement this team. If I had my druthers I would love to see us get a highly athletic 3 man who could score and rebound and a knockdown pure shooter. If we could just fill those two needs, assuming the 7 are eligible and keep up their grades, then we will have a nice 9 man rotation and we can be really selective in the next few years to focus on the best players available.

I'd still like to see a strong athletic 4 to complement the bigs on board and provide some put back points. That and a deadeye 3 shooter.

It was a play on the classic line "That's what she said". Steve Carrel uses it on The Office all the time. For example...

http://www.videosift.com/video/The-Office-...he-Said-Moments

I could make a classless post about Thicks and "early orals" but I won't..........

Not just slow but glacial on the uptake. (or not in the gutter)

It was a play on the classic line "That's what she said". Steve Carrel uses it on The Office all the time. For example...

http://www.videosift.com/video/The-Office-...he-Said-Moments

Thanks for that. I can't really watch flash video on my computer, because it's too slow for it, but I think I got the gist of the nature of the joke. Innuendo.