Coach Soderberg/Jobs

OC

Coach spoke last night at a coaches clinic, and was very good as he has been when I've seen him in the past.

He said:

he had a 6yr-$1.7mil offer from Detroit Mercy, but he said it wasn't a good fit.

Had 3 different interviews at Oregon St, and thought he was very close

Also said he was close at Toledo.

Said he tried for both Valley jobs, and that they hired two great coaches...said "Cuonzo is big time"

He never said a word about Kramer in terms of his college choices and their potential links to Brad

As most on here seem to feel, I wish Coach the best of luck in these next couple weeks.

Coach spoke last night at a coaches clinic, and was very good as he has been when I've seen him in the past.

He said:

he had a 6yr-$1.7mil offer from Detroit Mercy, but he said it wasn't a good fit.

Had 3 different interviews at Oregon St, and thought he was very close

Also said he was close at Toledo.

Said he tried for both Valley jobs, and that they hired two great coaches...said "Cuonzo is big time"

He never said a word about Kramer in terms of his college choices and their potential links to Brad

As most on here seem to feel, I wish Coach the best of luck in these next couple weeks.

I said in an earlier thread about when he was interviewing at these places that he needed to take the UDM job if he wanted to be a head coach again anytime soon at D1. Now if he is happy to be an assistant some place or go to a lower level like a D2 then fine but I think he missed out on this year's hiring merry go around. I am sure he does not want to sit out the entire year again but he should have taken the job - just my opinion and he can certainly do whatever it is he wants with his life.

I would think it is getting near to decision time for Kramer and Brad. I hope things work out for both of them.

Take this for what it is worth; about a month a guy I had lunch with a family who's father and two sons went to DeSmet and are fairly well connected there and they were telling me that Brad Soderberg put his name in the hat for the opening at DeSmet. That position has since been filled, but I found that interesting.

I said in an earlier thread about when he was interviewing at these places that he needed to take the UDM job if he wanted to be a head coach again anytime soon at D1. Now if he is happy to be an assistant some place or go to a lower level like a D2 then fine but I think he missed out on this year's hiring merry go around. I am sure he does not want to sit out the entire year again but he should have taken the job - just my opinion and he can certainly do whatever it is he wants with his life.

I disagree, going to place where he doesn't feel it's a good fit and may not be able to win would not be good. If he isn't successful at his next stop if he takes a head coaching position ... getting that 3rd chance might be impossible. Imo his best bet is as an assistant at a high profile major, if there are openings.

Rex Walters took the San Francisco job and that`s left Florida Atlantic(Sun Belt) open,been hoping Brad could get a look there.The school is in Boca Raton!

Guest BillikenReport

I had heard Soderberg turned down the Detroit job.

Must be nice to be able to turn down $1.7 million dollars.

Indeed.

Intercepted this snail mail between "the ex" and "The Man Upstairs":

Dear God,

Please, give me a sign. Give me guidance and strength in this most trying of times.

Your humble servant,

Bradley

Dear Bradley,

Chin up, slugger! I don't really have any great advice, but how does a cool 1.7 mil sound!?!? All you have to do is coach at Detroit Mercy for 6 years.

Hit me back, just to chat (this is Stan).

j/k

-God

Dear God,

Oh, gee, ya know... thanks... but Detroit's just not doing it for me. Got anything else? Oh yeah, hail Mary, blah blah blah, etc.

Your humble servant,

Bradley

Dear Brad,

WTF, mate.

-God

Indeed.

Intercepted this snail mail between "the ex" and "The Man Upstairs":

Dear God,

Please, give me a sign. Give me guidance and strength in this most trying of times.

Your humble servant,

Bradley

Dear Bradley,

Chin up, slugger! I don't really have any great advice, but how does a cool 1.7 mil sound!?!? All you have to do is coach at Detroit Mercy for 6 years.

Hit me back, just to chat (this is Stan).

j/k

-God

Dear God,

Oh, gee, ya know... thanks... but Detroit's just not doing it for me. Got anything else? Oh yeah, hail Mary, blah blah blah, etc.

Your humble servant,

Bradley

Dear Brad,

WTF, mate.

-God

LMAO...good stuff jimbo

I too am shocked to hear he turned down this job. It's much easier to interview for a job when one already possesses a job. My guess is that contract talks with UDM broke down over the buyout price. The only reason Brad takes that UDM job is to build his resume for the next job. If UDM wanted to stick him with a high buyout figure meaning he actually would have to coach in Detroit for 6 years, perhaps that was too much for him to swallow.

He said it just wasn't a fit, and I don't want to misquote but he said something to the effect of being uncomfortable up there.

I had a heard a week earlier from a reliable source that he turned down Beilein to be a Michigan asst (this past season).

I too am shocked to hear he turned down this job. It's much easier to interview for a job when one already possesses a job. My guess is that contract talks with UDM broke down over the buyout price. The only reason Brad takes that UDM job is to build his resume for the next job. If UDM wanted to stick him with a high buyout figure meaning he actually would have to coach in Detroit for 6 years, perhaps that was too much for him to swallow.

This only comes out to about a little above 300,000/y. I believe his salary at SLU was in the mid-400,000 range. Also, I bet the camps, radio show, *advertising, etc.. are more lucrative in SL.

Anyway, Dickie V started at started at UDM. Then went to the Pistons (where he failed miserably). Now he a multi-millionaire and has a beautiful palace of home in Bradenton FL.

*BTW, I don't recall Rick doing any advertising. Might be wrong but I bet he does not care. :blink:

This only comes out to about a little above 300,000/y. I believe his salary at SLU was in the mid-400,000 range. Also, I bet the camps, radio show, *advertising, etc.. are more lucrative in SL.

Anyway, Dickie V started at started at UDM. Then went to the Pistons (where he failed miserably). Now he a multi-millionaire and has a beautiful palace of home in Bradenton FL.

*BTW, I don't recall Rick doing any advertising. Might be wrong but I bet he does not care.

$300k is a lot of money for a guy that was considering bankruptcy.

I disagree, going to place where he doesn't feel it's a good fit and may not be able to win would not be good. If he isn't successful at his next stop if he takes a head coaching position ... getting that 3rd chance might be impossible. Imo his best bet is as an assistant at a high profile major, if there are openings.

Why was the UDM job not a good fit - he took SLU and the situation is not that unlike what he came from here in some respect. The problem with when people say a job is not a good fit it seldom has anything to do with the job per se but more likely he did not like the city or his wife did not like it or they could not afford the cost of living or the kids did not want to change schools - whatever. If he was interested in Desmet then why not UDM? I did also say that if being a head coach was not that important then could go and be an assistant somewhere if that is what he really wanted to do. But, if he wanted to be a head coach next year then he missed his opportunity.

$300k is a lot of money for a guy that was considering bankruptcy.

I don't know, Brad may have some support or benefactor helping out that we are not aware.

Do you recall that article about selling his house. Someone came 'out of the blue', purchased his million+ house at list and allowed them stay till school is out. I don't know, but it sounds too good to be true with real estate being what it is, especially at the high end market. Anyway I have to hand to Brad for pulling that off.

Now I am trying to sell a home here on the Mississippi coast and I have the whole family on the tread mill praying the rosary :blink:

Why was the UDM job not a good fit - he took SLU and the situation is not that unlike what he came from here in some respect. The problem with when people say a job is not a good fit it seldom has anything to do with the job per se but more likely he did not like the city or his wife did not like it or they could not afford the cost of living or the kids did not want to change schools - whatever. If he was interested in Desmet then why not UDM? I did also say that if being a head coach was not that important then could go and be an assistant somewhere if that is what he really wanted to do. But, if he wanted to be a head coach next year then he missed his opportunity.

I don't know why he felt it wasn't a good fit, he hasn't confided in me. Maybe there were some things going on there he didn't like ... maybe he saw some of the same restrictions he had at SLU and just thought this just doesn't feel right, maybe he didn't like the AD or didn't get the feeling the school really had a committment to win.

I'm not sure ... but I do think that if it doesn't feel right he's better off passing. His next head coaching job is crucial if he takes one and it doesn't work out ... will he ever get another shot?

If it were me and I didn't like the options I had as a head coach, I'd try to get on at a top program as an asst and earn my way back that way ... most of the knock on UB is due to recruiting, if he had some success at another school, he could probably get another shot at a better school than Detroit

I don't know why he felt it wasn't a good fit, he hasn't confided in me. Maybe there were some things going on there he didn't like ... maybe he saw some of the same restrictions he had at SLU and just thought this just doesn't feel right, maybe he didn't like the AD or didn't get the feeling the school really had a committment to win.

I'm not sure ... but I do think that if it doesn't feel right he's better off passing. His next head coaching job is crucial if he takes one and it doesn't work out ... will he ever get another shot?

If it were me and I didn't like the options I had as a head coach, I'd try to get on at a top program as an asst and earn my way back that way ... most of the knock on UB is due to recruiting, if he had some success at another school, he could probably get another shot at a better school than Detroit

My point exactly - he may never get another shot.

My point exactly - he may never get another shot.

I don't know about that, I'm sure he will and he seems to believe he will also. I still think he's better off passing on a job that he doesn't like for whatever reason than he is taking it if he really feels success will be hard to come by. The next job might be at a lower or equal level to Detroit, or maybe like I said he needs to have success as an Asst at a larger school. Either way I think he will get another shot, where? when? ... who knows

I don't know, Brad may have some support or benefactor helping out that we are not aware.

Do you recall that article about selling his house. Someone came 'out of the blue', purchased his million+ house at list and allowed them stay till school is out. I don't know, but it sounds too good to be true with real estate being what it is, especially at the high end market. Anyway I have to hand to Brad for pulling that off.

Now I am trying to sell a home here on the Mississippi coast and I have the whole family on the tread mill praying the rosary :P

Brad sold his home to someone who was/is not a SLU supporter/benefactor. Brad had thought he sold his home 4 months earlier, again to a non-supporter/benefactor, but that deal fell thru. Thankfully for Brad, he sold his home sold and he broke even on the deal (very small profit) but I suspect when you add in the cost of the extra furnishings and decorations that he lost a little money. Certainly not the disaster which could have been a reality for him.

Brad sold his home to someone who was/is not a SLU supporter/benefactor. Brad had thought he sold his home 4 months earlier, again to a non-supporter/benefactor, but that deal fell thru. Thankfully for Brad, he sold his home sold and he broke even on the deal (very small profit) but I suspect when you add in the cost of the extra furnishings and decorations that he lost a little money. Certainly not the disaster which could have been a reality for him.

Clock, I am happy for him. No easy task today and I would hate to see anyone be in that position.

Clock, I am happy for him. No easy task today and I would hate to see anyone be in that position.

He better find something at this point. The longer he stays out of the game, the harder his return. I can't believe he'd apply for DeSmet and turn down a D1 job, even if it was the University of Alaska. I think he's got two options right now. Takes a small D1 HC's job and wins. Takes an AC job at a major and earns kudos as the lead recruiter of some big talent. College Hoops is a small community overall and probably the knock on UB is "lousy recruiter". This wasn't enhanced by RM's recent decision to release 4 of his players. Kramer not choosing a school at this point leads me to believe they think he's close to landing somewhere soon.