Thorpe contract not renewed??

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats great for Peyton. He worked his tail off after blowing out his knee his junior year and he could of said f it but he stuck it out and played through all those "horrible" practices Rickma puts his players through. Hes in a great situation learning under one of the best. This Bud is for Peyton...

I think both moves ---- Thorpe going along with the four scholarship players --- should be interpreted as "business as usual" in the major college basketball realm. I would venture that Rick kept Thorpe to maintain some continuity in regime changes and as an anchor while he moved mostly his own staff in.. The continuity issue probably would have calmed the nerves of some of the remaining players. Both Lisch and Liddell needed time to adjust and Thorpe probably provided that. Thorpe's trade-off might have been the ability to add a year on his resume as an assistant on the staf of a HOFer.

We have been speculating for months on the fate of the four released players. The names came out long, long ago and no one should really be surprised by it. Is it a nice thing? No. But it is what it is. We've said all along things about the chef stocking the pantry to prepare the meal. Will it be used against us on the campaign trail? Most probably. But I think that if a kid is interested in playing for the coach (which is what we all seem to agree upon in today's recruiting scheme), then the coach's warts will be overlooked by the kid, possibly even ignored. If the kid is a 50/50 kid, who knows how it goes. Rick says he sat down and talked to all these kids ----- I sure hope that's true because that lessens the blow in the fact that he just didn't say "here's the door" but rather he said "look, son, ----" and went from there with most likely a promise to help. Huge difference in my book. I think that if the kid doesn't want to go, that if he's so in love with his SLU education and wants to stay, then the school should be indebted to him and waive his tuition or whatever to make it work. However, an athlete is an athlete and I suspect that 90% would want to move on to play on --- or just move on to get the memory of this last year (or two) behind them.

Brad got canned so it wasn't like it was his fault in leaving these kids behind ala Tubby at Kentucky, or Gillespie at A&M, or Huggins at KState. I believe that if a coach leaves, the kids should have the free option of going with him as well without penalty. There are some bugs that would need to be worked out there. But once again, one size does NOT fit all. What would you do here? I see Brad didn't get Detroit (not surprised) so he's still floating out there. To be that enamored with a coach like that in that situation would require the kid to be dynamically fluid and that will never happen.

I thought we might keep Knollmeyer given his late season time. Relaphorde seemed okay. I like Mitchell's enthusiasm in what little there was to see at GeeDub this year. I'd rank Maguire right up there with Polk in terms of bad schollies. Like a chapter in a book, this era with the Billikens is over. Starting anew requires some tearing down and this is it. I hope all four find better situations wherever they end up.

One more thing ---- the timing of the moves seems impeccable. Some might argue the other way. I see the opening of the "Fitz and the euphoria that caused a nice smoke screen to the bad news of Friday. Can the euphoria outrun the doom-and-gloom? Can the positive outweigh the negative? Better yet, if you only break even so what ----- the really bad thing is if the negative wins out and I don't see that in the short term that I've been aware of these situations today.

One more thing ---- the timing of the moves seems impeccable. Some might argue the other way. I see the opening of the "Fitz and the euphoria that caused a nice smoke screen to the bad news of Friday. Can the euphoria outrun the doom-and-gloom? Can the positive outweigh the negative? Better yet, if you only break even so what ----- the really bad thing is if the negative wins out and I don't see that in the short term that I've been aware of these situations today.

This is not a pleasant thing but sometimes it is best to simply pull the band aid off all at once than a little at a time. AT was signed by SLU when BS was let go for this year. RM knew coming in that AT had a contract. For AT, he could have turned the contract down and moved on but my guess is he knew prospects would be slim that late in the process and spending a year with RM could only help his resume plus he might have made an impression on RM and been kept. I am not sure how the staff's make up will work or not work. As I said in an previous thread - it is wrong to assume only a black coach can talk to black kids - however, some balance can make sense. Now the question is, if it is balance for balance sake only then perhaps we should move past that. We will see how it works out next year in the recruiting process.

AT might be going to ND, they need a minority on their staff and plus he has ties to Chicago.

Good for him, and them, then. I am very impressed with what Brey has been doing and they just were able to get Cross promoted to Toledo. ND, with Harangody, is going to be tough again next year. Hopefully AT can parlay his time @ StL into the high DI ranks.

I think both moves ---- Thorpe going along with the four scholarship players --- should be interpreted as "business as usual" in the major college basketball realm.

business as usual? so what other schools with a winning record this year fired the asst coach that was responsible for the majority of the new recruits and sent half of the returning players on their way?

give rickma credit. this is all him. this isnt the norm.

business as usual? so what other schools with a winning record this year fired the asst coach that was responsible for the majority of the new recruits and sent half of the returning players on their way?

I think I agree with you about RM- although I don't think you despise him as much as I do. He is a good, proven coach. Other than that, he is less than a bottom feeder of the first-order. I need to get that out every few days, it's good for my blood pressure.

That being said, it's possible that AT knew the score with SLU/RM and it probably won't matter to him anyway. Is there ANY other coach it would be worse to work for/with/nearby?

I think I agree with you about RM- although I don't think you despise him as much as I do. He is a good, proven coach. Other than that, he is less than a bottom feeder of the first-order. I need to get that out every few days, it's good for my blood pressure.

That being said, it's possible that AT knew the score with SLU/RM and it probably won't matter to him anyway. Is there ANY other coach it would be worse to work for/with/nearby?

LOL. A bottom feeder of the first-order? RM isn't kicking puppies. Get real.

Roy, you think AT was responsible for a majority of the incoming class? or last year's class?

Roy, you think AT was responsible for a majority of the incoming class? or last year's class?

Whatever. Roy is wrong to worry about AT. RM never owed him the job last year anyway. Coaching changes usually result in completely new staffs anyway.

All of the ex-SLU band under Brad have done fine.

I have never heard one kid say he was coming to SLU because of AT. If you can find a quote please link to it. I do know for a fact that Conklin is on his way to SLU for Rickma and Rickma only. He comitted before ever visiting the school.

on his way to SLU for Rickma and Rickma only.

Even if I was a RM booster, and I am the farthest thing from it this side of Jenny Craig, I would be wary about the drawing power of RM as an individual. His limelight time was when these kids were 6-7 years old. In an era noted for it's very, very short attention span.

I have never heard one kid say he was coming to SLU because of AT. If you can find a quote please link to it. I do know for a fact that Conklin is on his way to SLU for Rickma and Rickma only. He comitted before ever visiting the school.

Hopefully this is just a rumor. I have reasons to beleive it is...AT is a great guy and a great recruiter..He goes the extra mile and truely cares about his recruits. He is a genuine person and all around nice guy. I would hate to see him leave.

Hopefully this is just a rumor. I have reasons to beleive it is...AT is a great guy and a great recruiter..He goes the extra mile and truely cares about his recruits. He is a genuine person and all around nice guy. I would hate to see him leave.

He has always seemed like a good guy.

He has always seemed like a good guy.

Coach Thorpe is awesome and I have heard from a couple people that he MIGHT be leaving and that nothing is official. There is a lot of speculation but no one knows for sure. Also, everything in AT's office was specified for him. If he leaves, that would be unusual.

Coach Thorpe is awesome and I have heard from a couple people that he MIGHT be leaving and that nothing is official. There is a lot of speculation but no one knows for sure. Also, everything in AT's office was specified for him. If he leaves, that would be unusual.

Good point about the office. When I was at the Open House at the arena I saw his name on the office wall so when this was posted about him supposedly leaving I thought - well that is odd his name is on his office wall. Now I will admit that the office Jensen had was much nicer than the ones that AT, PB and PM had. I just assumed it was because he had need for the extra space for what it is he does.