Majerus Interview Friday @ 5:15

Ben Boyd

Bernie mentioned that Rick is going to on for about 45 minutes, so it looks like Rick will be on his rambling ways(which I think is good.) Maybe we can get some insight on what players might be looking elsewhere.

Could someone please post a summary of important points discussed.

It was awesome. Bernie just basically gave the man the floor for 50 minutes, and he didn't disappoint. There is no easy way to summarize, so I suggest listening to it via the link posted above.

He said that he has already offered Eckerle a scholarship next season because he demonstrated such strong "character."

He talked about Tommie's strong commitment to academics.

He talked a lot about how Barry has to re-invent him this offseason to contribute as a power foward. He said this will require him to shed at least 20 pounds, improve his strength and conditioning, and improve his ball handling and shot. He said Barry is too small to play the five, but isn't skilled enough yet to play the four. He also said that there is no ceiling for strenth and quickness at the power foward spot. He is going to fly to Detroit later this month to meet with Barry and his mother to talk about what he needs to do this offseason.

He explained how he wants to add more inside-outside play and fast breaking in years to come.

He still hopes to sign 2 more players this spring.

He also made another mention of playing DePaul, Creighton and ND on a neutral site. Sounds like he's trying to schedule G-Town.

Said he wants to play Mizzou because it's good for basketball in the state - compared it to Marquette-Wisconsin, Creighton-Nebraska, etc. Seems to think that May, with his Big XII connections, might be able to make it happen.

from my notes - this may get long

-i suggest if you did not hear it, listen to it as i at least learn something everytime he talks

-overall impression is there is a bond between BM and RM (would have to be quite a large one), they appear to me more than coach to columnist

-started with knight on espn and said he wants to see knight interact with bilas as it is different when you have coached

-indebted to sr class on how they did things

-GW game no way to advertise we need a shooter (reminded me of mizzou and paul o'liney)

-key players for next season TL and KL - BE to be determined by BE - PE "offered scholarship for next year" (key words??)

-"see where AK and other guys are" - i took to mean as far as coming back

-guys left campus and he is recruiting

-trying to break through with local recruiting - got Femi and came in 2nd on a couple and working on a couple more

-asked for fan's patience as you can't do it all at once but he is committed to it and excited to do it

-good group of recruits signed and hopes for 1 or 2 more (these 1or 2 seem down from previous comments about this)

-sometimes your team is better if you don't have a hughes but all the guys come together (sum greater than parts)

-said next year 4,5 or 6 freshmen

-going to vegas for 2 game tourney

-should play mizzou

-did extend with siu and tyring to with mosu

-was asked by caller if he tries to adapt to team he has or implement the system and he said this yr he adapted more than running the system

-to run his system need better post play, wants more fast break, inside to outside, nba ball screens with motion

-TL and KL only 2 players he working with next week

-he did not know about sunday's media event at -his term - The Fitz

and he complained about the impact/huge presence of the internet!!!!!

along with aau coaches, shot coaches, personal trainers

Thanks to all for their summaries. I couldn't get the radio feed to work on my computer.

Was there any discussion about the A10 and his concern about the travel distance to many of the conference opponents?

Thanks

Thanks to all for their summaries. I couldn't get the radio feed to work on my computer.

Was there any discussion about the A10 and his concern about the travel distance to many of the conference opponents?

Thanks

Hi Dave,

Bernie mentioned it in passing at the end, but no real discussion at all. If I had known they were planning on taking calls then that would have been the question I would have posed for Coach Majerus. As mentioned earlier, I was happy that he did talk about wanting to get a regular game with Mizzou. I agree with Coach that it would be good for both schools.

Coach did mention the fact that he would like to bring at least two more recruits in for next season. Seeing as we are already at the 13 limit for scholies assuming the kid from KC gets that score needed on his ACT/SAT then it will be interesting who will not be back next year.

This was the first time I had listened to Majerus on radio. I expected him to be rambling and somewhat incoherent based on numerous postings that I have read on this message board. What I heard tonight was entirely different. This man is articulate, well informed, and able to talk intelligently about multiple subjects. I thought it was an excellent 40 minutes of conversation. Perhaps those who continually write disparaging comments about Rick have an ax to grind but with no real substance behind their statements. Is there a way I can block such postings from showing up on my screen so that I don't have to continually wade through their comments in order to get to more substantive comments?

This was the first time I had listened to Majerus on radio. I expected him to be rambling and somewhat incoherent based on numerous postings that I have read on this message board. What I heard tonight was entirely different. This man is articulate, well informed, and able to talk intelligently about multiple subjects. I thought it was an excellent 40 minutes of conversation. Perhaps those who continually write disparaging comments about Rick have an ax to grind but with no real substance behind their statements. Is there a way I can block such postings from showing up on my screen so that I don't have to continually wade through their comments in order to get to more substantive comments?

I am not intending to single out any particular poster, but I have observed that Majerus is the type of personality that causes certain individuals to make emotional judgments that forever inhibit objectivity. Whether it is political views, keeping practices closed, providing candid critiques of players, or his controversial handling of scholarships and recruiting, there are a lot of folks who just can't get over their personal objections to appreciate what a truly brilliant, complicated, and passionate man he is. I could have listened to the man talk all night. I find him fascinating and love the passion he brings to his job at SLU.

BTW, I don't think anyone mentioned how he raved about Saint Louis University and the quality of its students, programs, mission, and faculty. He also went on and on about his coaches and staff, and mentioned that working with Porter Moser is like having a co-coach.

I am not intending to single out any particular poster, but I have observed that Majerus is the type of personality that causes certain individuals to make emotional judgments that forever inhibit objectivity. Whether it is political views, keeping practices closed, providing candid critiques of players, or his controversial handling of scholarships and recruiting, there are a lot of folks who just can't get over their personal objections to appreciate what a truly brilliant, complicated, and passionate man he is. I could have listened to the man talk all night. I find him fascinating and love the passion he brings to his job at SLU.

BTW, I don't think anyone mentioned how he raved about Saint Louis University and the quality of its students, programs, mission, and faculty. He also went on and on about his coaches and staff, and mentioned that working with Porter Moser is like having a co-coach.

I thought everything Rick had to say was good. He does like to ramble, I think people misinterpret this for baseless babbling. It's just a matter of him going off on a tangent when addressing issues. He is very articulate and loves his current job. Anyone speculating otherwise has not heard him speak. He really does care about his players and often times gets caught up in the emotion of the moment and makes comments that he later recants. One thing that he talked about was his appreciation for the University and that it is the #3 Jesuit U in his viewpoint - behind G-town & BC but above his alma mater, Marquette. He definitely has a passion for coaching, teaching young men about life and instilling values to make them better people. It's easy for us to play armchair QB and evaluate everything he says or does, but when it comes down to it we are DAMN lucky to have him leading our program for 3-7 more years. I'm looking forward to next year at Chaifetz Arena for sure.

Right on with your post.

Also, appreciate the links in that I missed the interview this afternoon but just finished listenting to it tonight. After listening, I come away (again) with the impression that the man states exactly what he thinks and is not apologetic about anything. He could have said SLU is the best Jesuit education but he did not. He said we are third behind only Georgetown (first) and BC (second). He laughed and said, even though he is a Marquette grad, that we are better - third. In short, he gives an honest, no bs, not worried about offending anyone opinion on any range of topics.

As his comments relate to basketball, I believe we can take most of what he says as his honest take and opinion on any given situation or topic. I still laugh at listening to his predecessor say his goal for SLU was to take us to the Final 4 (like Wisconsin) and that last year's teams was one of the most talented teams he's ever been around and strike out in recruiting anyone - sign only DM these past 2 Fall recruiting seasons.

Ultimately ... and in an ideal world (IMO) it wouldn't be that way ... Coach Majerus will be judged by the same rubric that Soderberg and every other D1 coach was/is judged by ... his W-L record. 16-15 is a reasonable first start. Close enough to where I thought we'd be this year. I'll have tempered expectations for next year as well. 20 (19) wins would be a surprise ... although obviously it's way too soon for projections. Year 3 will be key. We need to be contending for the NCAA Tournament in Year 3.

All that said, I find it very encouraging to hear the positive comments re: Coach and his love for the University. Nobody's ever going to be the perfect coach ... but you're off to a good start if you fundamentally appreciate how nice a place SLU is.

Pat D.

Ultimately ... and in an ideal world (IMO) it wouldn't be that way ... Coach Majerus will be judged by the same rubric that Soderberg and every other D1 coach was/is judged by ... his W-L record. 16-15 is a reasonable first start. Close enough to where I thought we'd be this year. I'll have tempered expectations for next year as well. 20 (19) wins would be a surprise ... although obviously it's way too soon for projections. Year 3 will be key. We need to be contending for the NCAA Tournament in Year 3.

Agree with Pat. We can give coach a pass this year ... maybe even next year as all his guys coming in, as things stand now, will be freshman. But by year 3, expectations will be ramped way up. Look forward to seeing how it all unfolds.

I heard the 1st part of the interview on the radio coming home and listened to all of it through the link. Just a great interview. Other things I found interesting:

1) Everytime I have heard him, he has mostly positive things to say, but the negative items are usually splashed on the internet or in the media. I think it gives people the wrong perception of him. This interview was not different as he had glowing things to say about all the seniors and pretty much all the players. He might mention a player's hard work to overcome some limitation. Second-hand, we tend to focus on the limitation, but there is usually something much more important that is positive in the message, and that is the player is a hard worker or extremely dedicated or just a good person. Even with Barry who he was forthcoming on how he needs to improve, he still says how much he likes him as a person.

2) Loved what he said about St. Louis University as he seemed very proud of working there. Mentioned SLU's curriculum with players that need to be dedicated to academics, which he stressed is a good thing.

3) The call about coming off screens and his response was my favorite part of the interview. The caller mentioned how he though the team has been pretty poor off screens the last few years. Coach agreed and said it was a great observation. He mentioned that guys like Bird, MJ, and Oscar Robertson were some of the best players that did not like to come off screens while guys like Nash, Travis Diener, and Wade are very good off them and that it is more of a skill than people give it credit for. Stated that Tommy and Kevin will get better as they improve there abilities to use the screen.

4) Wants Paul to play off the ball more next year with a PG who can penetrate and kick it out to him for the jump shot. Suggested he needs to use him in that role as opposed to relying on him to bring the ball up the floor. Says he 'should" be playing about 13 minutes a game, but had to rely on him much more this year.

5) Getting some offensive post play next year is of the upmost importance as it was a huge weakness this year and it will be required even more as the 3-point line is moving.

2nd straight rickma interview that i thought he really came off well. not the downer attitude we were hearing throughout the season. very engaging he is obviously over a difficult period for himself.

i was mildly happy to hear that he is only looking to sign one or two more players. as i have long been on record of, the less of this running off of existing players the better imo. that said, i am a huge fan of both cassity and cotto. both will immediately be better than any guard on the team now except lisch and liddell imo. so i am conflicted on their recruitment to a degree.

i was glad to hear him admit publically what i have been saying for 3 months that he indeed ended up conforming his coaching this season to his players. rickma's top attribute has long been his ability to do just that and win with less. he showed that from siu on and it is the aspect of his coaching reign that to me is most exciting.

it was also great to hear him talk so fondly about the players. his attitude towards the players after xmas changed 180 degrees and there was no more trashing of the roster that really set the bad stage for rickma imo. had he never did that to begin with, there wouldnt be near the division of attitudes about rickma that we have imo. i think long run he is going to win everyone over. imo the only issue that is still there is the burning of the marginal players and whether he will run a revolving door for recruits going forward. imo, he should never do that. i am not just talking about the existing roster, i am talking rickma roster forever. he recruits them he keeps them. it's really the only big issue i have left with him. he proved to me he did the right thing on the other two issues i had earlier in the season (trashing the players in the media and not designing game plans to cover the talent concerned).

it is interesting that rickma and bernie are obviously friends considering bernie and father biondi are no where close to anthing friendly. it would be nice to have bernie on the billiken bandwagon and championing our cause.

the level of confidence rickma is currently exhibiting is exciting. it will be fun to watch the program move up. it will be fun to watch the bandwagon fans come running. we have waited a long time for this.

2nd straight rickma interview that i thought he really came off well. not the downer attitude we were hearing throughout the season. very engaging he is obviously over a difficult period for himself.

i was mildly happy to hear that he is only looking to sign one or two more players. as i have long been on record of, the less of this running off of existing players the better imo. that said, i am a huge fan of both cassity and cotto. both will immediately be better than any guard on the team now except lisch and liddell imo. so i am conflicted on their recruitment to a degree.

i was glad to hear him admit publically what i have been saying for 3 months that he indeed ended up conforming his coaching this season to his players. rickma's top attribute has long been his ability to do just that and win with less. he showed that from siu on and it is the aspect of his coaching reign that to me is most exciting.

it was also great to hear him talk so fondly about the players. his attitude towards the players after xmas changed 180 degrees and there was no more trashing of the roster that really set the bad stage for rickma imo. had he never did that to begin with, there wouldnt be near the division of attitudes about rickma that we have imo. i think long run he is going to win everyone over. imo the only issue that is still there is the burning of the marginal players and whether he will run a revolving door for recruits going forward. imo, he should never do that. i am not just talking about the existing roster, i am talking rickma roster forever. he recruits them he keeps them. it's really the only big issue i have left with him. he proved to me he did the right thing on the other two issues i had earlier in the season (trashing the players in the media and not designing game plans to cover the talent concerned).

it is interesting that rickma and bernie are obviously friends considering bernie and father biondi are no where close to anthing friendly. it would be nice to have bernie on the billiken bandwagon and championing our cause.

the level of confidence rickma is currently exhibiting is exciting. it will be fun to watch the program move up. it will be fun to watch the bandwagon fans come running. we have waited a long time for this.

Great summary. It was an excellent interview by B. Miklasz. Great radio. I agree with the "confidence" tone of the interview. It seems like he knows for sure he's on track to succeed here and it's just a matte of time.

i was mildly happy to hear that he is only looking to sign one or two more players. as i have long been on record of, the less of this running off of existing players the better imo.

If my math is right, and Eckerle is back on athletic scholarship, I think at least three of the current guys will still have to go in order for us to bring in 2 more. It sounds like Knollmeyer is still the one up in the air.