Sodaburger to Mo State?

slu72

Anothony Drejaj is playing professionally. Danny Brown is the third best guard on this team behind 2 all conference performers. Not bad.

This team would have won at least four more games if Drejaj was on the roster. This team has missed Drejaj since he has graduated. Nobody has been able to replce the leadership and attitude he brought to the team.

This team would have won at least four more games if Drejaj was on the roster. This team has missed Drejaj since he has graduated. Nobody has been able to replce the leadership and attitude he brought to the team.

Agree to disagree. Maybe...maybe if that was the Drejaj we saw in the last year, but I have a hard time seeing it.

Agree to disagree. Maybe...maybe if that was the Drejaj we saw in the last year, but I have a hard time seeing it.

I think a guy who finished third on the all-time steal list, fourth in all-time threes list, played solid defense, and brought an attitude to the team would have had a big impact on this team.

I think a guy who finished third on the all-time steal list, fourth in all-time threes list, played solid defense, and brought an attitude to the team would have had a big impact on this team.

let me put it this way......Wouldn't you think this team would be better off with him getting the bulk of the minutes Polk and Eckerle are getting?

With Drejaj on the this team Public Enemy #1 Tyler Relph would not have scored over twenty points last Saturday. After his primal outburst after his third trey I'm sure he would have ended up on his rump.

Anothony Drejaj is playing professionally. Danny Brown is the third best guard on this team behind 2 all conference performers. Not bad.

Don't want to argue against Drejaj or to imply he was a bust... I liked him and appreciate all of his efforts and talents. You are also correct in that we never have replaced him. To me, that says more about our horrible recruiting and poor talent levels than how good Drejaj was/is. Nonetheless, he may be playing professionally but he is not on the level of TL and KL, he never carried the team on his back, he did not win all-conference honors, other teams did not game plan around him, he never drew double-teams ... I don't think Brad will impress many Athletic Directors by saying "Yes, I can recruit. In fact I recruited Drejaj to SLU." Had Brad recruited 2 to 3 Drejaj types each year (as suggested by 3 Star), Brad might still be our coach.

As to Danny Brown, I should have been more clear. I included him, not for his play this year, but rather for his prior years. The reason I exclude his play this year is because he has not played the guard position this year. In fact, I would have to say he has played quite a bit at center this year. Most likely, though hard to tell at times when RM subs DP with BH, Brown has probably played the most at the 4 while BE has moved over and played center.

Who is going to be able to get the players that would take MSU to the next level? Even if Knight were there, he wouldn't suddenly be getting 4- and 5-star recruits to go to Springfield. Same with the Spoons. It would take one of the biggest name coaches in the country to get those kids to go there over major programs. And even then, I would suspect it would take less-than-legal recruiting to get that caliber of player. The most successful teams in the Valley (SIUC, Creighton) have done it with Valley-type players.

Even the Valley's NBA talent- Kyle Korver is a gym rat from Pella, Iowa and Patrick O'Bryant, a very late bloomer out of Blaine High School in Oskaloosa, Iowa- would be considered Valley-type players as recruits; the Valley programs don't compete with high major programs for talent.

Bobby Knight could, and would, get 3 star and 4 star recruits to go to Springfield. Often, as we have seen, 3 stars become 4 stars by virtue of their going to a "name" school or coach. Show me a coach that consistently brings in 3 star recruits (3 to 4 each year) and I will show you a program averaging 20 to 28 wins per season. Case in point: SIUC these past 10 years. The good people of Springfield, MO would probably be quite happy with such numbers.

Are not those two problem related? He passed on a long list of players when we had open scholarships available who went on to contribute elsewhere.

Sorry, let me clarify. Brad seemed to have this weird idea that he couldn't sign multiple players to play the same position in the same class. That doesn't have anything to do with talent detection. That's just weird.

Sorry, let me clarify. Brad seemed to have this weird idea that he couldn't sign multiple players to play the same position in the same class. That doesn't have anything to do with talent detection. That's just weird.

I think it is pretty clear Rickma doesn't feel that way.

Bobby Knight could, and would, get 3 star and 4 star recruits to go to Springfield. Often, as we have seen, 3 stars become 4 stars by virtue of their going to a "name" school or coach. Show me a coach that consistently brings in 3 star recruits (3 to 4 each year) and I will show you a program averaging 20 to 28 wins per season. Case in point: SIUC these past 10 years. The good people of Springfield, MO would probably be quite happy with such numbers.

I agree with you on the first 3 sentences. I look at our 3-star laden incoming class, and Mizzou has one as well. Classes like those won't show up in the top 10 nationally, but a few in a row build strong programs. The guys going to SIU, though- were they really all 3-star guys? There were a few probably, but most of them flew further under the radar or were late bloomers. I think he's starting to bring in higher and higher touted players, I just think the program in the past decade has thrived on guys who didn't get the attention of bigger programs, Scout, or Rivals.

I agree with you on the first 3 sentences. I look at our 3-star laden incoming class, and Mizzou has one as well. Classes like those won't show up in the top 10 nationally, but a few in a row build strong programs. The guys going to SIU, though- were they really all 3-star guys? There were a few probably, but most of them flew further under the radar or were late bloomers. I think he's starting to bring in higher and higher touted players, I just think the program in the past decade has thrived on guys who didn't get the attention of bigger programs, Scout, or Rivals.

If we want to compete nationally we need to start getting some of those big guys. I dont understand why we are not even in the running for 4-star guys.

The major recruiting problem with Brad with not talent detection, IMO, it was the inability to sign enough players. Half of the players at virtually any program you can name fail to live up to the hype, whether it's because of grades, Chuck Knoblauch disease, injury, etc. But when you go to season after season with only 11 guys and half of them don't live up to the hype, you get stuck with these 6 man rotations.

I would generally consider myself a Brad supporter but this was something that drove me crazy. Every year we would hear the complete apologists say how smart it was that Brad had decided to "sit" on the the scholarships, rather than sign someone. It was amazing.

If we want to compete nationally we need to start getting some of those big guys. I dont understand why we are not even in the running for 4-star guys.

I wasn't talking about us, I was talking about Missouri State. I absolutely think we have a shot to compete for 4-star players and I think that's what we're working toward.

he is not on the level of TL and KL, he never carried the team on his back

by this time next year we will be saying that lisch and liddell was the best guard tandem ever at slu. your comparison standards are high.

i would have loved to have replaced eckerle and polk this year with drejaj

i'd take eckerle as a freshman over drejaj as a freshman

Really.......Drejaj played in all 30 games, started 14, averaged 26 mins, averaged 6.87 ppg, averaged over 2 asst, averaged 2.77 rebounds, was second on the team in steals, and was second on the team in three pointers. All this on a team that played in the much tougher CUSA and had an RPI of 57.

Neither have ever been all conference. Last year TL was second team and KL was honorable mention. The only all conference A10 player we've had is IV.

That's second team all conference and All Conference Defensive team. Note the use of the words "all conference". If I meant first team, I would have said first team. TL was also the rookie of the year.