Great Student Turnout Tonight

Box and Won

Tonight was by far the most students we've had at any game this year, and it was awesome. The rest of the crowd was great too!

I hope that we have the same student turnout for the Louisville game, along with a better turnout from the rest of the fans.

It seemed like for the first time this year, we actually had a home court advantange.

I also noticed that the students had a long wait for a bus to get back to campus. I left a good 15 or 20 minutes after the game ended and there were still throngs of students waiting on 14th Street for a bus to get them. We have to make smoother for the students.

Hopefully whoever is in charge of the marketing at the games will realize soon not to throw out the plastic balls. It seems like anytime there is a semblance of students at a game (Arizona or tonight) they decide to make their presence felt by throwing a ball onto the court. Other than that it was great to actually have a student section in the crowd. Hopefully we can get 3 road wins and get more people at the games.

I agree.

It is hard to justify giving the student section prime seats in the new stadium if they are unable control themselves. I know it is a fine line when you talk about crazy behavior, but it has been crossed twice this season. My guess is that we wil get no more warnings in the future, next time it happens we will get the "T".

How do you know that wasn't a Marquette fan that threw that ball. Anyone going to Chicago this weekend, be sure to throw something on the floor and perhaps DePaul will get a "T"!

I caught one of those balls last night and considered tossing the ball into the student section since my family has caught a number of those over the years, but after seeing that idiot throw the ball on the court, I'm glad I didn't.

Aside from that, I was very pleased with the turnout from my fellow SLU students. Hopefully we'll see more of it.

>From where I was sitting it looked like the ball came from

>the area where the MU fans were sitting - did you actually

>see it come from the student section?

I was in the area the MU fans were sitting (125, in the corner). Nobody had any of the plastic ball us there. It came from the heart of the student section and students were pointing out the culprit. Time to get a new glasses prescription if it really looked like a ball changed direction in mid air before coming on to the court.

I did not really see the ball until it was past the basket so that is why I asked if where it came from. The section where I was sitting was all pointing to the MU fans area - I guess I just assumed they were correct. Obviously not. The Blue Crew does need to police the area then or else, the school will stop throwing the balls and we all loose out.

the ball came from far above the blue crew rows. my guess is the "tailgate party" thrown to entice the students to the game, also wired the kids up and emotions take over. there were obviously a lot of non-regular student attendees that maybe just dont know the right way to act. while i dont like the ball thrown on the court, i love the attendance and enthusiasm and i would hate to lose that momentum.

agreed Roy!

I doubt an MU fan threw the ball. Most MU fans were sitting together and I doubt one fo the cheerleaders would have thrown a ball to them anyway. Maybe I am wrong. If the students knew who the culprit was, they should have gone to the person and knocked some sense into or at least explain to them what an error that was and how it could affect the team.

We should just do away with throwing those stupid balls into the crowd. I doubt it would really hurt attendance by no longer giving dumb SLU students who probably only go to three games a year anyway the opportunity to throw balls on the court. Also, the same SLU students seemed to think beating Marquette was a game where you could run onto the court after the game. As a SLU student I would have been embarressed for our school if we would charge the court after beating a 13-9 team.

Great turnout though, I hope it continues which it probably will for the Louisville game. A girl behind me was gushing about how fun the game was and she wanted to to go to the rest of the home games. Hopefully they all feel the same as her.

no way i quit the ball giveaway. it always amazes me how just the cheerleaders heading to the floor with those balls stirs the crowd up (myself included). and there is a great joy with watching a dad or someone next to a small kid, get a ball and then turn and hand it to the youngster. no the balls should stay. just common sense needs to prevail.

Yeah, Roy, the balls are one of the biggest reasons the old folks get their butts out of their seats. Without them, we'd never get them up until they started to leave the game early.

Balls are silly, but it gets the crowd going.

remember folks, that will be senior night. josh, chris, ross, and phillip deserve a big sendoff. rumor has it that ross will sing the national anthem at that game.

it's not just students who do it, though I saw many Blue Crew members leave early against Charlotte. What's a few extra minutes in the parking garage for what almost always turns out to be an exciting ending at Savvis?

A few years ago my buddy and I left a Brewers/Cubs game early and in the bottom of the 9th the Brewers (who had been 2 hit the entire game) somehow scored 4 runs to win. Never again!

Just a couple of notes about last night:

You think its a coincidence that the two games where balls were thrown on court were the two games where students other than the Blue Crew showed up?

Since when is Blue Crew responsible for 'policing' the rest of the student section? We are there to watch the game, not babysit.

The majority of the one-time students were drunk...I'm not saying don't have some beers before the game but there were several altercations in the student sections as a result of this. FYI nobody in Blue Crew wanted to rush the court- we're smarter than that. Who in their right mind rushes the court when your team is favored, you have a better record, and the other team is FAR from being ranked? The drunk frat students were the ones trying to run on the court, something Blue Crew tried to stop (and succeeded). I dont even think rushing the court when we beat Louisville is going to be merited, but thats just me....

B-law, tell me how many Blue Crew members you saw leaving last night before the horn sounded. I'm serious, because I doubt there were any. If there were I'd honestly like to know though.

I didn't see any Blue Crew leave early last night, but a few left early on Saturday with 2 minutes left. I couldn't believe it. Oh well, they missed a hell of a finish.

There was a good buzz going around campus today. I think the Bills may have convinced a lot of students to come again. They were exclaiming that they didn't know how much fun the games could be. Of course these are the same kids that play video games all night, so of course they didn't know, they never leave the dorms. I just hope the excitement can be sustained until Louisville.

I was really, really upset that the frat boys were going to rush the court. We were trying to convince them not to, but to no avail. I'm glad that they got stopped down front though. I mean it is great to see them come to the games, but I wish they had a little bit of basketball knowledge as well. I guess that would be asking for too much.

Personally, I think a crowd of people storming onto the court is dangerous. I wouldn't do it, and I wouldn't recommend it. Still, under some circumstances rushing the court may be "appropriate" in SLU's next home game (against Louisville). The Billikens have a good chance of winning that game, and if they control the game and win, then storming the court would be wrong. But if the game goes down to the wire (as the last three have) and the Bills win it with a late shot, then I might be able to understand how the tidal wave of emotion could wash the students onto the court.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills wind up ahead of Louisville in the C-USA standings. SLU could very well finish 10-6, and Louisville might slip to 9-7.