Raised Floor

Would anyone be in favor of having a raised floor in chaifetz like the one at the university of minnesota? Im curious

Williams Arena went up in 1927-28. I don't see the point of quirks like that in modern arenas- you can't manufacture charm or nostalgia.

Williams Arena went up in 1927-28. I don't see the point of quirks like that in modern arenas- you can't manufacture charm or nostalgia.

You don't find Enron/Minute Maid Field with the Crawford boxes where pop ups become home runs and that hill in centerfield where 420 foot blasts become outs to be charming?

You don't find Enron/Minute Maid Field with the Crawford boxes where pop ups become home runs and that hill in centerfield where 420 foot blasts become outs to be charming?

I went to Houston with some buddies in the summer of 2006 for a Cards-Astros late-season game. The consensus was that Houston has the worst baseball stadium we've ever been to. The Cards were fighting for a playoff spot at the time, and the Astros beat us with a couple pop flies that would have been easy outs in any other park that wound up being home runs. The sightlines are weird, the wall dimensions make no sense, they put a pole on a useless hill in center field 440 feet from home, the hallways aren't wide enough, and I could go on with complaints.

I don't get the whole throwback baseball stadium craze. People are trying to rebuild the charming stadiums of 80 years ago with modern amenities, and they just come off as totally artificial. The Yankees are building a $1 billion+ recreation of Yankee Stadium and the Mets are doing the same with Ebbets Field- they're missing the point. The NFL understands that if you're going to spend hundreds of millions or more on a new stadium, it should be state-of-the-art in every way and the architecture should reflect what's going on now, not a hundred years ago. This mindset is also why baseball is losing fans and football keeps gaining them (there are many other issues, but the overall mindset can be seen in the buildings).

Anyway, that's why I'd want Chaifetz to be modern and state-of-the-art, not trying to manufacture nostalgia with gimmicks.

I just hope they don't put a massive Billiken at midcourt like they do at many schools, including KU and Mizzou. Some might like it, but I think it's fairly tacky. I always liked the outline of the state at midcourt, like at UNC. Maybe we could put an outline of the St. Louis City boundaries?

I went to Houston with some buddies in the summer of 2006 for a Cards-Astros late-season game. The consensus was that Houston has the worst baseball stadium we've ever been to. The Cards were fighting for a playoff spot at the time, and the Astros beat us with a couple pop flies that would have been easy outs in any other park that wound up being home runs. The sightlines are weird, the wall dimensions make no sense, they put a pole on a useless hill in center field 440 feet from home, the hallways aren't wide enough, and I could go on with complaints.

That whole ridiculous ballpark is kind of a microcosm of Texas.

I just hope they don't put a massive Billiken at midcourt like they do at many schools, including KU and Mizzou. Some might like it, but I think it's fairly tacky. I always liked the outline of the state at midcourt, like at UNC. Maybe we could put an outline of the St. Louis City boundaries?

or an arch?

center court...............i'd put a sketch of biondi sitting center court showing a recent trip to spain tan, a buttoned down shirt wearing a series of gold chains.

Mizzou actually has a normal sized logo at center court of Mizzou Arena and it is dwarfed by most logos in the Big 12. Take a look at KU, K-State, Iowa State, and Texas A&M. The size of those logos is ridiculous. Apparently it is a competition in the Big 12 to see who can put the biggest most obnoxious logo at center court (although in some cases it is the majority of the court).

I don't get the whole throwback baseball stadium craze. People are trying to rebuild the charming stadiums of 80 years ago with modern amenities, and they just come off as totally artificial. The Yankees are building a $1 billion+ recreation of Yankee Stadium and the Mets are doing the same with Ebbets Field- they're missing the point. The NFL understands that if you're going to spend hundreds of millions or more on a new stadium, it should be state-of-the-art in every way and the architecture should reflect what's going on now, not a hundred years ago. This mindset is also why baseball is losing fans and football keeps gaining them (there are many other issues, but the overall mindset can be seen in the buildings).

Anyway, that's why I'd want Chaifetz to be modern and state-of-the-art, not trying to manufacture nostalgia with gimmicks.

If I recall the only thing nostalgic about the game at Minute Made was having a 35 year old Mexican gentleman swear at us while holding his baby who happened to be wearing a wife beater and a gold chain. You can't recreate that no matter how hard you try.

It really does not make sense in my opinion to keep trying to recreate stadiums from the past. That is the craze in baseball and I really don't understand why. I would rather see modern architecture on display at these ballparks. If you are spending hundreds of millions of dollars why build a stadium to look like one from the past. The NFL stadiums are awesome and they truly are taking advatage of modern architecture and creating stadiums that are luxurious and first class all the way. The new Dallas Stadium is going to be insane.

I personally was hoping for a bigger and new version of West Pine Gym, but my pitch did not go over real well with Biondi.

If I recall the only thing nostalgic about the game at Minute Made was having a 35 year old Mexican gentleman swear at us while holding his baby who happened to be wearing a wife beater and a gold chain. You can't recreate that no matter how hard you try.

It really does not make sense in my opinion to keep trying to recreate stadiums from the past. That is the craze in baseball and I really don't understand why. I would rather see modern architecture on display at these ballparks. If you are spending hundreds of millions of dollars why build a stadium to look like one from the past. The NFL stadiums are awesome and they truly are taking advatage of modern architecture and creating stadiums that are luxurious and first class all the way. The new Dallas Stadium is going to be insane.

I personally was hoping for a bigger and new version of West Pine Gym, but my pitch did not go over real well with Biondi.

We weren't even out of line, just cheering for the Cards. That guy was classic- I'm sure his kid will turn out just fine.

Some of the new NFL stadiums are going over the top with features, but I love that they're embracing the cutting edge of architecture instead of copying the distant past. I don't think that MLB understands that younger fans aren't going to be nostalgic for places they never saw anyway.

A bigger West Pine Gym would have been sweet. Talk about a pit atmosphere.

That whole ridiculous ballpark is kind of a microcosm of Texas.

Couldn't have said it any better. All the Big 12 enormous logos at center court are also a microcosm of Texas (that has leaked into surrounding states' competitive schools.

Everything's bigger in Texas....except brains and class.

I always liked the Billiken spinning the ball on his finger. Lose the red stripe on the pants, maybe polish it up a bit to update it, and that would be perfect at center court. If not that, I like the old Billiken logo like on kwyjibo's picture, but that would never happen. I miss not having something at mid-court this year.

pistol could you imagine having students lined up surrounding the court in the upper part of wpg looking down on the court yelling in your face the whole game just thinking about it makes me quiver

Oh man, no one would make a free throw in there.

I always liked the Billiken spinning the ball on his finger. Lose the red stripe on the pants, maybe polish it up a bit to update it, and that would be perfect at center court. If not that, I like the old Billiken logo like on kwyjibo's picture, but that would never happen. I miss not having something at mid-court this year.

The old logo should come back. It is much better than anything they have come up with since.

Couldn't have said it any better. All the Big 12 enormous logos at center court are also a microcosm of Texas (that has leaked into surrounding states' competitive schools.

Everything's bigger in Texas....except brains and class.

I don't know pistol, that d-bag who pulled up to the bar in his Ferrari was pretty classy.....

Fear me, for I am Rice Owl.