Larry Hughes to the Bulls

philliken

Larry 'the (SLU) Legend' was traded to the Bulls today. It was a 3 team-8 player swap between Chicago, Cleveland, and Seattle. Didn't really get who else was in the trade besides Duhon to Seattle.

Is this official yet? Do you have a link?

I've heard rumors of this all morning, but haven't seen it confirmed anywhere. The rumor I heard only involved Chicago and Cleveland and had Duhon, Wallace, and Smith (and others) going to the Cavs in exchange for Hughes and Gooden (and others). Sounds like a blockbuster is in the works.

Is this official yet? Do you have a link?

I've heard rumors of this all morning, but haven't seen it confirmed anywhere. The rumor I heard only involved Chicago and Cleveland and had Duhon, Wallace, and Smith (and others) going to the Cavs in exchange for Hughes and Gooden (and others). Sounds like a blockbuster is in the works.

Saw it on ESPN News at work. I hope that wasn't just the proposed deal. If so, I look like an ass. What I saw though did include Gooden - don't think I saw Wallace though.

i hope hughes has more luck with scott skiles than justin love did. skiles was a jerkoff to love.

i only follow hughes when it comes to the nba. so i have no idea what this means. someone who follows the nba more, who are the bulls players and how does it appear hughes will fit in their rotation/lineup? is this a good thing for larry? the cleveland thing which i thought would be good for larry was horrible due to the style that brown utilized to highlight james. does putting on a bulls uniform mean that larry will be in a position to showcase his skills more?

A little more than one and a half seasons after Bulls general manager John Paxson and then-coach Scott Skiles made a splash by signing Wallace away from the Detroit Pistons for $60 million over four years, the Bulls have agreed in principle to ship the center, along with Joe Smith and a future second-round pick, to Cleveland as part of a three-team deal that included Seattle.

According to an ESPN.com report, the Cavs also received Wally Szczerbiak and Delonte West from the SuperSonics. Chicago also sent Adrian Griffin to Seattle, which also acquired Ira Newble and Donyell Marshall from Cleveland.

The Bulls will receive Larry Hughes, Drew Gooden, Cedric Simmons and Shannon Brown from Cleveland.

The trade awaits league approval but is expected to go through.

Full post:

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....-up-on-big.html

i hope hughes has more luck with scott skiles than justin love did. skiles was a jerkoff to love.

i only follow hughes when it comes to the nba. so i have no idea what this means. someone who follows the nba more, who are the bulls players and how does it appear hughes will fit in their rotation/lineup? is this a good thing for larry? the cleveland thing which i thought would be good for larry was horrible due to the style that brown utilized to highlight james. does putting on a bulls uniform mean that larry will be in a position to showcase his skills more?

I can't believe someone would trade for Larry as a starter. He's constantly injured and eratic when he does play. At this point Larry may be best suited to be a reserve playing 20 minutes a game and more when he is hot.

roy,

skiles was fired a couple of months ago.

skiles was fired? see i told you i didnt follow the nba except hughes! :lol: so who is their coach?

skip as to hughes, his last week or so larry has put together a number of nice games. i was beginning to have some hope.

there is no doubt the games i watched hughes looked out of place. the best hughes looked since being in the nba was in the run and pressure atmosphere that he played in at washington before joining the cavs.

skiles was fired? see i told you i didnt follow the nba except hughes! :lol: so who is their coach?

skip as to hughes, his last week or so larry has put together a number of nice games. i was beginning to have some hope.

there is no doubt the games i watched hughes looked out of place. the best hughes looked since being in the nba was in the run and pressure atmosphere that he played in at washington before joining the cavs.

Skiles was canned on Christmas Eve. He's been mentioned in the Sampson successor rumors.

There's an interim guy here now, a long-time assistant. He's been routinely assailed by the press, and presided over the "team suspending Jo-Noah for an extra game" fiasco, of which Ben Wallace was apparently an active participant. This guy is not likely to make it through the summer.

I guess Larry goes into the rotation. I don't know how much time he gets though.

The Bulls best players are all perimeter guys. Ben Gordon, their top scorer, comes off the bench but plays the most minutes. Luol Deng is probably their best all around player and he can play the 2 or 3. Kirk Hinrich and Duhon are the pgs and Andres Nocioni plays the 3 and sometimes the 4. Their frontline now is pretty weak with Gooden, Tyrus Thomas, and Aaron Gray. Thabo Sefalosha gets the reserve minutes at the 2. He is not a great player. I assume Larry will take his spot. Larry will probably start, as Gordon comes off the bench almost all the time, but I doubt if he sees real heavy minutes in Chicago.

Being a big bulls fan, I really don't see how hughes fits in with this team, as stated above, all the best players are guards and when they have been trying to play thabo sefolosha more, who will be a pretty good player in imo, I can't see hughes getting a lot of minutes. To me the bulls got a bad deal in this trade in that they got rid of Joe Smith when he was actually starting to play pretty well for the team, but something had to be done about Wallace, because he does absolutely nothing anymore. Also the coach is Jim Boylan, and again he is only an interim coach until the end of the year. I can only hope that John Paxson does something in the offseason because he pretty much dropped the ball with garnett and gasol last year during the season, and kobe earlier this year.

i seemed to remember reading that gordon is headed for free agency as he refused to negotiate last summer on an extension.

also isnt that crazy noah kid from florida with the hair on the bulls?

I think overall that the Bulls came out much better on this trade than going in. Getting rid of the Ben Wallace contract is huge. Wallace is finished as a productive player. He never was much on offense and his defense has gradually fallen the last three years. Signing Wallace and deciding not to keep Chandler was one of the dumber moves of the past few seasons.

also isnt that crazy noah kid from florida with the hair on the bulls?

Joakim Noah is on the Bulls, and has been little more than a headcase so far- complaining to the media, showing up late, missing meetings, etc. His immaturity is costing him and the team big time.

Guest BillikenReport

The guy who does the Hey Larry Hughes website (http://heylarryhughespleasestoptakingsomanybadshots.com/) is excited by the trade, but I don't see this trade doing much for any of the teams involved.

The Cavs get rid of Hughes' contract, but they pick up some worse contracts with Ben Wallace and Wally S.

The Bulls got rid of Wallace's bad contract, but they don't really need Hughes. I think Drew Gooden can help them, but not that much.

I guess the Sonics got the best part of the deal, because they got rid of Wally's bad contract and didn't pick up much in terms of contracts and Ira Newble's contract expires after this season.

This seems to me like the kind of deal you make that sets up other deals, like the Bulls moving Hughes to another team that can actually use him, but that's not the case because of the trade deadline.

The guy who does the Hey Larry Hughes website (http://heylarryhughespleasestoptakingsomanybadshots.com/) is excited by the trade, but I don't see this trade doing much for any of the teams involved.

The Cavs get rid of Hughes' contract, but they pick up some worse contracts with Ben Wallace and Wally S.

The Bulls got rid of Wallace's bad contract, but they don't really need Hughes. I think Drew Gooden can help them, but not that much.

I guess the Sonics got the best part of the deal, because they got rid of Wally's bad contract and didn't pick up much in terms of contracts and Ira Newble's contract expires after this season.

This seems to me like the kind of deal you make that sets up other deals, like the Bulls moving Hughes to another team that can actually use him, but that's not the case because of the trade deadline.

Hughes will be easier to move next year than Wallace. IMO, Wallace is close to be nothing more than a role player. He will be impossible to move next year at $15 million per. Chicago has basically cashed this season in. They are trying to set themselves up for next year. Hughes also gives the Bulls a back up plan if Gordon leaves.

i am reading some of the bulls message boards this morning and finding the bulls fans hate ben gordon and chris duhon more than the cleveland folks disliked hughes!

sounds to me the fan base expects both gordon and duhon to see less minutes and be gone next summer when they are free agents. most are hoping hughes moves into the starting sg spot immediately and curtails gordon's minutes.

it will be interesting to see it all play out for larry. at least being released from being totally misused in cleveland, maybe hughes can get back to the style he was enjoying in washington before leaving there.

Can we change the moniker now to reflect the present as opposed to the past? I offer this: Larry "the Journeyman" Hughes. I know there will be those that offer counter to this, in that we recognize what Larry did in his one year here. But in today's 10-second-sound-bite society and the usual "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately" public memory span (which I am an integral part of), Journeyman is more accurate than Legend, anyone agree?

I, like roy, do not follow nor care about "the league." I can admit to following Hughes when he was 45 miles down the road in DC but lost track when he moved out of the local airspace. I too thought a combination with King James would be a windfall for the Legend but now see that there is no room for a King and a Legend on the same roster. Frankly, I do not care.

I fi nd it funny that he was traded in part for Wally Szerbieck (sp?). He must have been another local legend in his time in Miami. One journeyman traded for another. And Joe Smith. I'd be careful if I were Ben Wallace. He could land such a moniker as well if he's not careful. But reall --- who cares. As long as they are getting their money and fools pay top dollar to see it, why should they be concerned?

Immaterial for a guy who left here what --- 10 or 11 years ago.