The P-D game article

bauman

Never have I been more disappointed in a TT write-up of a game. Having been at the game, I felt his article could have been written by an intern.

Two very important elements were MIA:

How can you sit in The Scott, for 2 hours, see the largest turnout of students in many years all actively involved in cheering their team on (and obviously, having a positive impact on the game), watch and listen to the "old folks" turn out in large numbers and actually cheer and even stand for big moments, AND not even mention it in the write up? TT, if this got edited out then shame on the editors-this was the most electric crowd since the Spoon days and/or the Louisville upset in Brad's first(?) year. How could it have been missed????????

More importantly, how could you bury what should have been the lead-the incredible final minute or so of Kevin Lisch. Your coverage was the equivalent of a reporter writing that quite a few people died in WWII-technically correct, but woefully inadequate.

While I have missed a fair # of home games over the past 45 years, I can't ever recall seeing anything like what KL did last night. If you didn't see the game, I'll tell you what you should have read in the game report: At 1: 49 KL steals the ball and is fouled by Duncan, X's best player last night and leading scorer in the game (this fouled Duncan out of the final 1: 49 of the game)---KL calmly drops 2 key pressure-packed free throws. At 1: 01 KL works himself open for a three and hits it. In the next 50 seconds KL hits 2 more threes while being guarded closely by 2 X defenders and at 11 seconds drives for a tough shot in the paint while being fouled by the classless Stanley Burrell. KL nails the pressure-packed FT to tie the game. So, lets quickly summarize-14 points and a steal in the last 1: 49 or if you prefer, 12 points including 3 threes with guys all over him and an old fashioned three in the last 1: 01 when everyone in The Scott knew he was going to shoot. Maybe you had to be there to appreciate it, but I can only describe it as UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! Even the impartial ESPN announcers were going nuts over this performance, yet the P-D game article wrote about it like it was no big deal-Tom T, did you leave early and actually miss it relying on an intern to tell you about it?

A couple of side notes: Thanks to the P-D for the size and placement of the coverage-that was great; Did anyone else notice Burrell's act as the game was in its final minutes and at the conclusion of the game? As KL was standing at the FT line waiting for the ball, SB was standing face to face talking smack to Kevin-nice job Stanley, too bad KL has more guts than you'll ever have. This classless act was followed by SB's chest thumping, uniform snapping run along the table of high roller seats, obviously, talking smack to fans. Stanley, X is too good and has won too many games for you to pull this cr@%. Haven't you learned how to win with class in 4 yrs. at X ? Really poor! While SB was pulling his cr@% the rest of the players were shaking hands-too bad Sean Miller missed what his starting 2-man was involved in, but watching it unfold I could tell that SM had no idea what SB was involved in. The only reason I can come up with to explain Burrell's behavior was the fact that he was matched up against KL just about all game and got his @$$ completely whipped!!!!!!!

A couple of side notes: Thanks to the P-D for the size and placement of the coverage-that was great; Did anyone else notice Burrell's act as the game was in its final minutes and at the conclusion of the game? As KL was standing at the FT line waiting for the ball, SB was standing face to face talking smack to Kevin-nice job Stanley, too bad KL has more guts than you'll ever have. This classless act was followed by SB's chest thumping, uniform snapping run along the table of high roller seats, obviously, talking smack to fans. Stanley, X is too good and has won too many games for you to pull this cr@%. Haven't you learned how to win with class in 4 yrs. at X ? Really poor! While SB was pulling his cr@% the rest of the players were shaking hands-too bad Sean Miller missed what his starting 2-man was involved in, but watching it unfold I could tell that SM had no idea what SB was involved in. The only reason I can come up with to explain Burrell's behavior was the fact that he was matched up against KL just about all game and got his @$$ completely whipped!!!!!!!

Burrell is a piece of crap. The X fans I know do not think very highly of him.

ok my defense of tom timmermann. in his blog today:

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/billiken-...come-on-xavier/

he tells us that because of the late start and the apparent dedline issues caused by the kirkwood event he was limited in what he could write and get turned in. he promises that more will appear in tomorrow's paper.

that said, imo, bauman is exactly correct he could have described the final couple of minutes better. i can understand not having post game quotes, but that shouldnt have excused better end of game description.

I was happy that I wasn't a five rows closer. I might have ended up embarrasing myself, my family and my friends. It was totally classless. Somebody else on X joined in with SB. At least the one X bench wamer was classy enough to come and pull them away. At some other venues that would have led to a far worst situation.

We all know where I stand on the matter. I could probably be heard by some of you screaming "EAT $H!T!!!" three times, successively, early in the first half at Burrell. Everything he did was classless. As far as KL, I've never seen something like that at any level excepting maybe Reggie Miller and Jason McElwain. Everyone in that building - players, coaches, fans, etc. should have bowed to him after that performance. It reminded me of his freshman year when he would just bring it down, size his guy up at the top of the key, and bomb trey after trey. God bless KL.

ok my defense of tom timmermann. in his blog today:

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/billiken-...come-on-xavier/

he tells us that because of the late start and the apparent dedline issues caused by the kirkwood event he was limited in what he could write and get turned in. he promises that more will appear in tomorrow's paper.

that said, imo, bauman is exactly correct he could have described the final couple of minutes better. i can understand not having post game quotes, but that shouldnt have excused better end of game description.

BROY, thanks for the link to the blog, but if TT thinks his game story was only deficient because he was missing some quotes he is way off base. I just got off the phone with a Billiken star from about 40 years ago and I asked him if he had ever seen a minute of play to compare with KL's, especially at the end of a game when every play was crucial- his reply---NEVER. How could neutral ESPN guys get it and not our beat writer? Tom T wake up, you just missed reporting on the best INDIVIDUAL one minute in Bills MBB history!!!!!!!!

Stanley is not popular here in Cincinnati (and I can say that- without a doubt- after only living here 2 1/2 months). He was apparently highly-touted out of HS, had a big freshman year with some "NBA potential" comments thrown around, and hasn't gotten any better. I started watching him more sophomore year, where he was completely erratic (24 points one night, 3 the next), and it was the same story last year. He's as streaky as any player in college, only shoots off balance (probably because he can't hit a squared-up jumper), a solid defender when he tries but has lapses, and probably his best attribute is that he's a great FT shooter.

He's buried himself in Miller's doghouse, especially last season, and the higher level of play out of Raymond and Anderson this year to complement Lavender, Brown, and Duncan has made him the player that will probably be missed the least when these seniors graduate. With XU's great incoming class, they aren't losing anything special in Burrell. It doesn't surprise me that he was the one talking smack to Lisch after he just scored 11 points on him in 61 seconds (before laughing it off and burying #12) and that he was running back and forth on the table. What a classless fool and a wasted promising career (although his promise was really just hype). He might be the most overrated player in A10 history, to borrow a line from my buddy last night.

bauman, I was thinking the exact same thing when reading it, but you better be careful about complaining about the PD. They seem to have their apologists on the board. How dare SLU fans want better coverage for our team. ;)

Cut this sh*t out Ace. Nobody wants to hear it. Four people were gunned down in my neighborhood last night. I come to this board for some levity and to talk basketball. I don't need to take this crap from you. I'm sick of it.

Cut this sh*t out Ace. Nobody wants to hear it. Four people were gunned down in my neighborhood last night. I come to this board for some levity and to talk basketball. I don't need to take this crap from you. I'm sick of it.

WTF?!?!?!?! Nobody cares what a Mizzou troll thinks. Why are you interjecting that tragedy into this thread? That is low, even for you. Mizzouphan, you have provided another example why you were banned from this board previously.

WTF?!?!?!?! Nobody cares what a Mizzou troll thinks. Why are you interjecting that tragedy into this thread? That is low, even for you. Mizzouphan, you have provided another example why you were banned from this board previously.

And here's where postcard says that you were banned from Bernie's board for insulting someone's kid, and the cycle continues...

And here's where postcard says that you were banned from Bernie's board for insulting someone's kid, and the cycle continues...

Exactly. Except that I'm going to be the bigger man today. That is why I've tried to PM ACE so he can deal with his dislike of me personally. He refuses. I didn't and don't want to get into this today. So Ace, I'm asking for the sake of the board, don't post about me, don't repond to my posts, and if you have something to say to me PM me so the others don't have to read it. Lets try to inject a little civility on the board. I think in light of what happen last night, that is the least we can do. I'll do my part. Ace please check your PM's so we can continue this off the board. Thanks.

Could someone with more tech savvy than me post the last 2 minutes of last nights game on youtube????

OMG, yes, please. I want to hear what the eee-ess-pee-enn-too-ers had to say about lisch putting on a better shooting display than willie mays hayes' hitting display.

Postcard, don't let a significant tragedy in Kirkwood stand in the way of your loving, self serving posts.

You started on this board to continue a forum fight, and you have never stopped. Most people will modify their behaviour because they are decent people. They don't need a round of murders to make like a decent person, let alone use it in a callous fashion. All I can say is "Yep, that's Postcard!"

Postcard, don't let a significant tragedy in Kirkwood stand in the way of your loving, self serving posts.

You started on this board to continue a forum fight, and you have never stopped. Most people will modify their behaviour because they are decent people. They don't need a round of murders to make like a decent person, let alone use it in a callous fashion. All I can say is "Yep, that's Postcard!"

Sheltie,

check your PM.

Hopefully the moderators take him up on this. His latest disgraceful effort is worthy of leading to what has been long overdue.

I've repeatedly said in this thread alone I'd rather discuss differenceS offline with you and Ace. Neither one of you are man enough to do i

They can ban me. I've done nothing wrong. You personally attack me every chance you get and won't respond to PM's. I know people on this board get tired of personal spats between posters. I've made the effort to PM you so we can settle our differences that way. You and Sheltie would rather flame away than deal with the situation like a man. That's fine. No skin off my back.

I completely agree with earlier thoughts on the poor article in today's P-D. As I read it, almost thought I hadn't attended the same game.

Kevin's performance last night was the best example of "carrying a team on your back" that I've witnessed since Larry Hughes did something very similar on the road against SIU-Carbondale long ago.

While I didn't see Burrell's post-game antics along the sideline, I DID see the free throw line nose-to-nose initimidation with Kevin seconds before he took his free throw. Never in my life have I seen that before. Why a technical was not called, I have no idea. I literally came out of my seat when I saw it. Could 3 refs have completely missed it? Even after Burrell took his spot along the lane, he actually continued to talk trash to Kevin as he took the free throw. I didn't know that trashing free throw shooter while shooting was legal. Is it? Grounds for technical? Or just a re-shoot?

In any case, amazing game, despite the loss.

I completely agree with earlier thoughts on the poor article in today's P-D. As I read it, almost thought I hadn't attended the same game.

Kevin's performance last night was the best example of "carrying a team on your back" that I've witnessed since Larry Hughes did something very similar on the road against SIU-Carbondale long ago.

While I didn't see Burrell's post-game antics along the sideline, I DID see the free throw line nose-to-nose initimidation with Kevin seconds before he took his free throw. Never in my life have I seen that before. Why a technical was not called, I have no idea. I literally came out of my seat when I saw it. Could 3 refs have completely missed it? Even after Burrell took his spot along the lane, he actually continued to talk trash to Kevin as he took the free throw. I didn't know that trashing free throw shooter while shooting was legal. Is it? Grounds for technical? Or just a re-shoot?

In any case, amazing game, despite the loss.

I agree - the article was very poor - not sure why it was. Perhaps part of it was what Roy says but that is not all of it. It was a weak effort for such a great nationally televised game. Having been at the game I did not hear the announcers for ESPN - did they do a good job and what where their impressions? Thanks

I agree - the article was very poor - not sure why it was. Perhaps part of it was what Roy says but that is not all of it. It was a weak effort for such a great nationally televised game. Having been at the game I did not hear the announcers for ESPN - did they do a good job and what where their impressions? Thanks

I was at home with the flu so I had to watch the ESPN2 broadcast. John Scimabi and Hubert Davis did the game. Davis was very complimentary to SLU and Majerus about how the kids went from a drive and kick 4 and 1 offense to a pick oriented motion(did his homework). He really like Liddell's game up until last night, said he needed to be more aggresive. Was in awe when Lisch went on his run at the end. He doesnt like that we only score in the half court set and cant score in transition, jsut puts too much pressure on scoring against a set defense. Mention the recruiting class and mentioned Conklin in particular, the new arena, NBA lockerooms, practice facilites, very optimistic about the years to come.

You're really twisted man. I tried to be a man about it and take this off the board. You couldn't handle it. I didn't want bring this stuff up on the board and I'm glad you care so little about that you can use it in a post to try and and make your self look good. I don't really care if Steve or Thicks or David ban me for what I'm going to say. Go back to Illinois or wherever your from. You couldn't deal with this ###### like a man so I dont' expect you to now.

It's tasteless that you're using dead people to get a point across. I've repeatedly said in this thread alone I'd rather discuss differenceS offline with you and Ace. Neither one of you are man enough to do it.

Sheltie and ACE are kind of jerks but Postcard should change his name to postal. I do agree that we should keep the personal attacks to pm or have another board for anything goes topics like rel., politics and calling eachother names.

How about that game by lisch?

Did anyone catch the name of the fat kid who shot for the money at last nights game? It was cookie. I will let someone else make the sick joke.

March, this is the very first PM I have ever received from Postcard. I read through it five or six times, and concluded Postal didn't seem to want to solve anything - it seemed a very vigorous, profane, and anonymous attack - my thinking was he would "man up" and chill out. I was wrong, but in being wrong everyone can see the man Postcard is. He "discusses differences" stranger than most anyone I've ever met.

Postal happens to be our resident forum member who likes to foam at the mouth when he starts a flame war. I was a jerk to throw his PM in public domain, but he is much further down the road than jerk. He is the aggrieved peacemaker and man in public, and the baiting, hating bully in PM land. What a peach...

BTW, TT did well with the makeup article today. Good job!