John Brandenburg thru 2 games

Has put up a total of 8 points and 8 rebounds. His high school career has been an even more confounding mystery than the Kent State debacle. If he had signed here Majerus would already have a dog house custom built when he stepped on campus.

Is that total or per game average? Either way not impressive totals for his size and reputed skill level. Didn't he have a good summer? Is he shut out of their offense or continuosly double and triple teamed?

Brandenberg will face Jesse Perry and gateway tech friday night @ Whitfield.

Some other good matchups. Haz central and Vianney @ Vianney, Berkely vs Columbia @ Mckendree, Alton @ Eastside and CBC vs jennings @ Pattonville

Guest BillikenReport

The 6 p.m. game at Whitfield is Cardinal Ritter vs. Whitfield. There are a couple good sophomores playing in that game. Whitfield, with three sophomore starters, has already defeated DeSmet and Gateway Tech.

- Nate

Some other good matchups. Haz central and Vianney @ Vianney, Berkely vs Columbia @ Mckendree, Alton @ Eastside and CBC vs jennings @ Pattonville

Has Kramer Soderberg played any games yet?

Regardless of what happened at SLU, I hope we wish him well....

Soderberg scored 29 in his first games.

Brandenburg's total for 2 games

averaging 4 pts & 7 rebounds shooting 38% from the field & 33% from the line.

I don't get the hype, never have.

what a turd. only 2 games though, i'm sure he'll do better. i wonder what it feels like to look around and see other area guys w/ twice your stats and minimal to no D1 offers, and yourself w/ a monster commitment and think "am i really overrated?" i'm sure he's a nice kid, and you can really only blame the hype machine, but what gives?

Guest BillikenReport

what a turd. only 2 games though, i'm sure he'll do better. i wonder what it feels like to look around and see other area guys w/ twice your stats and minimal to no D1 offers, and yourself w/ a monster commitment and think "am i really overrated?" i'm sure he's a nice kid, and you can really only blame the hype machine, but what gives?

Brandenburg had 20 points tonight in a win over Jesse Perry and Gateway Tech.

He dominated on both ends of the floor. He ran the floor, he had room to operate inside and he finished around the hoop.

Virginia assistant coach and former Billiken Drew Diener was in the house.

- Nate

Brandenburg had 20 points tonight in a win over Jesse Perry and Gateway Tech.

He dominated on both ends of the floor. He ran the floor, he had room to operate inside and he finished around the hoop.

Virginia assistant coach and former Billiken Drew Diener was in the house.

- Nate

I was at the game Nate. He always runs the floor and he didn't have any more room to operate inside than usual. After a really shaky start where he shot a 5 foot airball and clanked a straight-on 10 footer off the backboard, he just started making short shots. He's the most inconsistent player I've ever seen.

Maybe he's one of those guys that can turn it on and turn it off when he wants. He's definitely got all the physical tools. Its just weird from game to game, because he obviously does enough in AAU to get big time attention. He just could be very good on the D1 level if his coach stays on him.

He's an excellent student and it usually takes big guys longer to get it together, so I'll just wait and see what happens. I fully hopes he starts from day one at Virginia and makes Saint Louis right. For those who saw Ian as a freshman and have seen Brandenburg recently, how do you think they stack up?

These articles from the same tournament tell both sides of the story on Brandenburg. The latter is where he should be.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogs/sports-preps...-leading-lions/

http://prepsports.stltoday.com/ssi/prep/st...F4?OpenDocument

Maybe he's one of those guys that can turn it on and turn it off when he wants.

if you are correct, you dont have a problem with a player that does that? and i would bet that majerus indeed has a problem with a player that does that.

Some guys cant turn it on at all. I do think it's better to have someone that can turn it on sometimes than someone who cant do it at all. I fully believe Ian can turn it on and off and did last year. At times Tommie appears that he can too. When I say turn it on and off. I'm not saying that they aren't giving maximum effort. I'm saying that they dont know how good they are and if they did they could dominate or at least command double teams all the time.

Guest BillikenReport

These articles from the same tournament tell both sides of the story on Brandenburg. The latter is where he should be.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogs/sports-preps...-leading-lions/

http://prepsports.stltoday.com/ssi/prep/st...F4?OpenDocument

Those articles don't tell both sides of the story. He got dunked on because he was hustling back on defense to contest an easy layup.

- Nate

Femi John and McCluer North started the defense of their state title tonight with a blowout win over Haz East @ Troy. Femi led all scorers with 18. North plays next @ troy on Friday.

courtside, dont answer the question in regards to brandenberg. we all know you are all about desmet and will defend to the death.

but your "you are in correct" statement, you mean to tell me that if a player plays hard when he wants to and just turns it on when he wants, majerus likes that type of player?

again, dont answer the question with brandenberg in mind. i dont know what brandenberg is. i have only seen him once and that was two years ago. so i have no idea what brandenberg is. vtime made the statement about him and my comment is that if he is that type of a player i doubt majerus would like that type of player that doesnt play 100% all the time. that is what you are saying incorrect to?

I specifically stated that turning it on and off did NOT mean not playing hard. I said it in the sense of not knowing how good of a player you and not taking over games when you can. Lots of players dont know how good they are. The one thing Brandenburg always does is play hard. Let me take it off of Brandenburg and give an NBA example. No one will ever question that.Rasheed Wallace is 6'11 with incredible length and an unblockable high release point on his jumper. Instead of dominating in the post with jump hooks and fadeaways, he loves to float to the perimeter and hoist 3's. The 3pt shooting should be a complementary piece of his game, not the main objective. He also has the body and tools to dominate defensively, but he doesnt do any of these things night in and night out.

vtime, i said that my point about majerus wasnt specifically about brandenberg. i dont care about brandenberg. he is going to virginia. so he is insignificant to me. i hope he does great there and makes a million dollars with the orlando magic or the celtics. but i dont want to discuss brandenberg at all.

my discussion i want to have with courtside is whether majerus wants a player that has been deemed an extreme athlete but one that wont necessarily play with his foot to the pedal nonstop. it seemed to me that courtside thinks that majerus wants that type of player rgardless. courtside also has indicated he is good friends with majerus so he would know better than the rest of us. i am just trying to understand more about our new coach.

vtime, i said that my point about majerus wasnt specifically about brandenberg. i dont care about brandenberg. he is going to virginia. so he is insignificant to me. i hope he does great there and makes a million dollars with the orlando magic or the celtics. but i dont want to discuss brandenberg at all.

my discussion i want to have with courtside is whether majerus wants a player that has been deemed an extreme athlete but one that wont necessarily play with his foot to the pedal nonstop. it seemed to me that courtside thinks that majerus wants that type of player rgardless. courtside also has indicated he is good friends with majerus so he would know better than the rest of us. i am just trying to understand more about our new coach.

Last time I checked he is starting at least one player who doesn't play full out all of the time.

courtside, dont answer the question in regards to brandenberg. we all know you are all about desmet and will defend to the death.

I'd like to think I'm objective and give people a fair shake. Brandenburg doesn't have a hustle issue. Ask any former SLU player involved with the Eagles. He beats everyone down the floor most trips, on both ends. If it were different I'd say so. Ask Tyler g's dad. He'd say the same thing. He's a team player and hustles his butt off. Search past comments regarding describing him as a player, his strengths and weaknesses and so forth. He has strengths and weaknesses. One of his biggest strengths is his ability to run the floor and desire to win in a team fashion

but your "you are in correct" statement, you mean to tell me that if a player plays hard when he wants to and just turns it on when he wants, majerus likes that type of player?

go back and read the posts and where correct was inserted and why, you misunderstood my post.

again, dont answer the question with brandenberg in mind. i dont know what brandenberg is. i have only seen him once and that was two years ago. so i have no idea what brandenberg is. vtime made the statement about him and my comment is that if he is that type of a player i doubt majerus would like that type of player that doesnt play 100% all the time. that is what you are saying incorrect to?

Majerus doesn't put up with kids that aren't team players and who don't hustle. What you see is what you get. Again, as I mentioned above, one of the biggest attributes of Brandenburg is that he is not only 6'10, ...he beats everyone down the floor often both ways. You don't see that in a big man in high school. Combine that with his rebounding and shot blocking, and that's why he has gotten big offers. Big men take longer to develop and are hard to find. Ask a lot of major college teams out there. He's had some inconsistency finishing around the rim in the half court setting and with Free Throws. One FT will be all net, great form, and the next not. As Tyler's dad will tell you or any other objective person out there, he has rushed himself too much in past situations, and he often sees doubles, etc...all a growth process. He's also a 30 SAT kid, 6'10, athletic, good frame, already a good rebounder and shot blocker and dunks on the run on breaks. He's also had success nationally and locally against good players. Now, he's far from a finished product but he doesn't have to be in high school. If anyone thinks SLU wouldn't want that, then I'd find a lot of people who'd disagree with that. Last time I checked, Dave Leaito knew a thing or to about hoops. He will continue to get stronger, improve footwork and positioning, and his hands and so forth....he'll be even better when he stops overthinking and stops rushing himself and just enjoys the game. He's already doing that.

So, 1) No, Majerus wouldn't take a kid like that, unless he were a top hadnful recruit nationally and he'd turn him into something else, and if he couldn't the kid would likely leave or get dismissed. 2) Effort is actually one of Brandenburg's attributes. His team could be up by a lot or down by a lot later in a game, and he's still outhustling most people. There may be other explanations to a meaningless box score.

I don't care if he plays for Little Sisters of the Poor or Duke.