OT: Akiel just hit another one

brianstl

You gotta wonder where we would be if Tony had called him up a month earlier. It has gone from being him getting called up and having a hot week to having a hot month. The guy is legit and has been our best player since he arrived on the scene.

I am assuming Rick took two more curtain calls since that is standard procedure for an Ankiel home run.

Here's his line score:

AB 4

R 4

H 3

RBI 7

BB 1

SO 0

AVG .358

Better get World Series tickets.

as nice as WS would be the pitching is not there to make a run. Who would start game 1, Wainwright? There is no way to cound\t on Pinata, er, Piniero in the post season and Mulder obviously isn't his old self and won't be this year (ah, to have Harren back....). I don't bet, but if I did my money is on the Padres to go because of Peavy and Young.

as nice as WS would be the pitching is not there to make a run. Who would start game 1, Wainwright? There is no way to cound\t on Pinata, er, Piniero in the post season and Mulder obviously isn't his old self and won't be this year (ah, to have Harren back....). I don't bet, but if I did my money is on the Padres to go because of Peavy and Young.

I don't disagree with what you are saying in principle (I too like the Padres pitching a lot) but "everyone" said the exact same thing last year. Last year it was "After Carp what do you have. A mediocre Suppan and a completely unproven Weaver. Add in a bullpen with a closer that has never actually closed any games. The Cards in 06 are doomed."

I've been a believer for many years that the playoffs are little more than a 1 in 8 shot, regardless of whether you win 100 games or 80 games in the regular season. If the Cards get in they will have as good a shot as anyone.

You gotta wonder where we would be if Tony had called him up a month earlier. It has gone from being him getting called up and having a hot week to having a hot month. The guy is legit and has been our best player since he arrived on the scene.

I am assuming Rick took two more curtain calls since that is standard procedure for an Ankiel home run.

Hard to tell. He definitely has talent and has been a huge and pleasant surprise. Historicaly, though, he has had very few at bats in the minors... especially for a guy with this success in the majors. Possibly he was ready 1 month earlier or possibly that month helped him get to where is now.

NY Post reported this morning that Ankiel was taking human growth hormones (HGH) up to the year MLB banned them. I guess its such a good story (Ankiel's coming back in a different incarnation) that someone had to take it down a couple of notchs.

While I think this whole thing over steroids is well-founded and steroids should be eliminated from the landscape totally, I don't know the reality between these things and what is commonly referred to as "performance enhancing drugs." Maybe these things do help you recover more quickly from the little aches and pains that are part of a schedule (thinking baseball and 162+ games), and maybe they do buff you up and make you more muscle-bound and larger (thinking NFL lineman and/or wrestling), but I have a hard time with them enhancing your peformance. Barry Bonds still needs the god-given ability and hand/eye coordination to actually hit the ball and time has shown his consistency there. I find it hard to believe that the simple fact of taking steroids made ben Johnson run faster than everyone else. Mark McGwire did hit 49 home runs or so in his rookie season fresh from college so the talent was there, Andro or not.

Oh well, I pontificate. Issue is the fact that the rain is most likely about to pour down on the Ankiel goo dnews story.

Guest BillikenReport

Maybe these things do help you recover more quickly from the little aches and pains that are part of a schedule (thinking baseball and 162+ games), and maybe they do buff you up and make you more muscle-bound and larger (thinking NFL lineman and/or wrestling), but I have a hard time with them enhancing your performance.

One thing that interests me about the effects of steroids on performance in baseball is that steroids are supposed to help improve your vision.

That's one of the most underrated aspects to baseball. The best hitters in the game also have extraordinary vision, because they can read pitches by seeing the laces on the ball as it comes out of the pitcher's hand.

- Nate

One thing that interests me about the effects of steroids on performance in baseball is that steroids are supposed to help improve your vision.

That's one of the most underrated aspects to baseball. The best hitters in the game also have extraordinary vision, because they can read pitches by seeing the laces on the ball as it comes out of the pitcher's hand.

- Nate

If steroids improve vision, I recommend handing them out to pilots, proofreaders, professional eyebrow tweezers and cube monkeys everywhere, why not baseball players, too?

Amazing game from Ankiel, if he ever brings his K's down to a reasonable level he's a potential superstar.

I agree he could be a superstar even if he doesnt. Ryan Howard struck out nearly 200 times last year and won the MVP and is labelled as a "great" hitter.

back in my days of playing, i had an old timer tell me "an out is an out. and in fact a ground out into a double play is worse than a strikeout."

i have never really cared about strikeouts if the other stat columns fill up. thus ryan howard hitting homers and doubles, driving in and scoring runs, offsets those strikeouts.

now the likes of say a preston wilson, who doesnt fill the columns as much, yes, i got a problem with those strikeouts.

right now ankiel is playing more like ryan howard than preston wilson. swing away ricky boy.

back in my days of playing, i had an old timer tell me "an out is an out. and in fact a ground out into a double play is worse than a strikeout."

i have never really cared about strikeouts if the other stat columns fill up. thus ryan howard hitting homers and doubles, driving in and scoring runs, offsets those strikeouts.

now the likes of say a preston wilson, who doesnt fill the columns as much, yes, i got a problem with those strikeouts.

right now ankiel is playing more like ryan howard than preston wilson. swing away ricky boy.

Point taken, and there will always be tradeoffs - do you want him to swing away and hit 40 homers w/ 170 strikeouts or be a little more discerning and hit 25 jacks w/ 100 homers? It all really comes down to runs produced and clutch hitting.

If it's a 2-2 tie in the 4th inning w/ 2 outs, I want him swinging away. But with a 3-2 count, 2 outs and the bases loaded with the same score, you want a guy that's almost guaranteed to put the bat on the ball, because a hard hit ball to an all-in, nervous as hell infield is never a sure out, especially in that situation. Even if Ankiel turns into more of a power producer than Albert, unless the K's come down, he's never our go-to guy, because of the potential of him doing absolutely nothing.

Not raining on his parade at all, he's played amazingly and I'm rooting for him that fabled 110%. But it's no coincidence that the best hitters in the game's history didn't strike out a whole lot...

Its being reported that MLB wants to talk to Rick Ankiel. Im assuming they want to meet today. Hopefully this all gets cleared up one way or another.

what a bunch of bull****, if he's hitting .250 w/ 40 strikeouts, baseball wouldn't look twice... i'm sure that was the first thing he thought - "man, i'm gettin called up, better stop taking my roids in the face and double my daily cup so i can compete"

just ranting, i don't know the specifics and i don't care. when did baseball become "not baseball"? all i want to see is the pitcher throws the ball and then the guy hits it and then a bunch of doorknob humping on the field as everybody tries to make the guy who hit the ball sit down before he gets back to the plate again. Christ.

I agree 3star. Is there anything Selig can do? They werent against the rules in 2004 and the only person who is liable is the doctor who prescribed it, not Rick. I bet this is what Rick says and people will just have to judge on whether or not he is being honest. The article even said he stopped receiving shipments in '05 but there are ways of still getting your hands on that stuff.

It looks like Troy Glaus may be right next to Rick. Its being reported that he is linked to performance enhancing steriods. Seriously, what the hell happened to America's pastime <_<

If Ankiel says "I stopped taking it when baseball banned it," IMO Selig's hands are tied given the precedent he set by doing nothing to Bonds.

i agree.

if i am ankiel, i take the blood test show i am clean and assuming there is not paper trail or evidence of anything past the rule change, nothing happens.

btw, for the poster that says the 242 hitter would not be getting the call, i disagree. the 242 hitter would get the call (proof of that are the minor leaguers that you hear getting suspended), it's that the nyc press wouldnt care to cover it so it wouldnt be news.

i agree.

if i am ankiel, i take the blood test show i am clean and assuming there is not paper trail or evidence of anything past the rule change, nothing happens.

btw, for the poster that says the 242 hitter would not be getting the call, i disagree. the 242 hitter would get the call (proof of that are the minor leaguers that you hear getting suspended), it's that the nyc press wouldnt care to cover it so it wouldnt be news.

There is no reliable test for HGH.