Jump to content

Illinois Prep Bulls-eye - Matt Roth


davidlee
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats what the coaches have been trying to do. What indication has he shown that he wants to come to SLU? I'd love for him to come, but I just dont see it. Who said anything about not trying. All 3 guys wont commit at the same time, if he acts like he wants to come that's fine, but if five commitmennt doesnt light a fire under you, nothing will. I never said dont try to get Suggs, but show love to the guys who want to come first. Femi has listed SLU as his #1. SLU is Harrellson's top choice. I cant remember about Roth, but hasnt he visited more than once. I dont even think Harrellson can sign until the Spring anyway, so Suggs has plenty of time to let SLu know if he wants to come.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Roth is also the third best three point shooter in Washington High school history.

As far as one of the best in high school basketball, Hersey Hawkins and Eddie Johnson weren't chopped liver in high school either, even though one was a starting center, and the other a power forward.

Might I suggest that Illinois Prep Bullseye has a knowledge of Illinois basketball that effectively goes back a decade? A "sharpshooter[that is]one of the best in the history of Illinois high school basketball" will have a career high in his junior year of much, much more than 29 points against Metamora.

David Booth, Jamie Brandon, Tom Kivisto, Alvin O'Neal, Jim Hohstadt, Roger Phegley, Frank Williams, Mike Robinson, and Gilbert all come to mind in under a minute who were good/great three point shooters in high school with less limited talent than Matt.

Prep Bullseye will keep beating the drum like Matt is Rick Count or Freddie "Downtown" Brown, when he isn't. The next time this article is again cited, I'll come up with another list. Matt is a very good HS 3 pt shooter, and hopefully we can ink him. At that, Mitchell was the critical get, as we desperately needed the first solid PG in the pipeline to replace Tommie and Kevin on the ball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>Roth is also the third best three point shooter in

>Washington High school history.

>

>As far as one of the best in high school basketball, Hersey

>Hawkins and Eddie Johnson weren't chopped liver in high

>school either, even though one was a starting center, and

>the other a power forward.

>

>Might I suggest that Illinois Prep Bullseye has a knowledge

>of Illinois basketball that effectively goes back a decade?

>A "sharpshooter[that is]one of the best in the history of

>Illinois high school basketball" will have a career high in

>his junior year of much, much more than 29 points against

>Metamora.

>

>David Booth, Jamie Brandon, Tom Kivisto, Alvin O'Neal, Jim

>Hohstadt, Roger Phegley, Frank Williams, Mike Robinson, and

>Gilbert all come to mind in under a minute who were

>good/great three point shooters in high school with less

>limited talent than Matt.

>

>Prep Bullseye will keep beating the drum like Matt is Rick

>Count or Freddie "Downtown" Brown, when he isn't. The next

>time this article is again cited, I'll come up with another

>list. Matt is a very good HS 3 pt shooter, and hopefully we

>can ink him. At that, Mitchell was the critical get, as we

>desperately needed the first solid PG in the pipeline to

>replace Tommie and Kevin on the ball.

How can his career high be 12 points when hit 12 3pt shots in one game. That's at least 36. You are a hater. SLU fans should be chomping at the bit to get this kid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>

>How can his career high be 12 points when hit 12 3pt shots

>in one game. That's at least 36. You are a hater. SLU

>fans should be chomping at the bit to get this kid.

When did this 12 3 point shot game happen? I am at a loss. I am really not a huge fan of Roth, but he does have a solid shot..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>

>>

>>How can his career high be 12 points when hit 12 3pt shots

>>in one game. That's at least 36. You are a hater. SLU

>>fans should be chomping at the bit to get this kid.

>

>

>When did this 12 3 point shot game happen? I am at a loss. I

>am really not a huge fan of Roth, but he does have a solid

>shot..

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2006/12...orts/121900.txt

3rd paragraph of the article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm happy with whatever coach decides, but I'm glad he's not waiting to offer guys. 4 wings, Suggs, Perry, Roth, and John all have offers. I'm partial to guys who come out and say they want to be Billikens. A happy player is nearly certain to give his all. Harrellson and John clearly have SLU as their no. 1. Roth is likely leaning towards SLU. If Suggs narrows his list and SLU isnt on it, do you really want Majerus to fight get on it again or go with the guys who want to come? I like the fact that these guys actually want to come.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

VTime, before you call me a hater, try to find out if I am a realist first. I don't spend all nite camped at a computer wonking on a high school player's stats like some. I do know that 29 against Metamora was his career high at the time, and that is what I wrote. Even 35 to 40 is not a huge tally, when you start to compare historical stats from past years when there was no 3 pt shot.

You should also recognize the difference between a prolific scorer vs an outstanding shooter. The team depends on a scorer, but the shooter is not nearly as key. A good example is when we had Erwin Claggett(the scorer) and Carl Turner(the shooter.) Both were very good shooters, and the roles may seem to be reversed, but we depended on Claggett to score and Turner to keep defenses playing everyone honest when he came in as a sub.

You seem to keep selling Roth as Claggett, when he is currently an unproven Turner. What you try to peddle as hate is an actual cold assessment. 'Sides that, I am pimping the black player and "hating" the white player. As your alter ego nom de plume, you should appreciate that!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just admit it...you don't want Roth. What a convoluted argument that is. If you want to get right down to it, EVRY player is unproven until they accomplish something at the college level. What is factual, though, is that Roth is a fantastic shooter and the last time I checked you still have to put the ball in the basket to score. And, also, speaking factually, Roth has put the ball in the basket from beyond the arc as well or better than anyone in the history of Illinois prep basketball. Can't wait for Matt to be a Billiken!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

dont give suggs an easy out. slu needs to ride the suggs choice to the end. the only way they give away that scholarship is if scott suggs tells them without a doubt he isnt going to choose slu.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest BillikenReport

>dont give suggs an easy out. slu needs to ride the suggs

>choice to the end. the only way they give away that

>scholarship is if scott suggs tells them without a doubt he

>isnt going to choose slu.

There will be more scholarship offers handed out in early July once RM and the staff can get out and recruit.

By that time, there will be at least three commitments, but there could be four or five.

- Nate

Link to comment
Share on other sites

By that time, there will be at least three commitments, but there could be four or five.

- Nate

Way to go out on limb Nate. We have 3 now. ;)

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sheltie, who have I ever name called on this site? Its the other way around. I have no alter ego. I never downgraded a white player to promote a black player. I had the name problack, because people started calling me that on a different board. It wasnt because I thought black players were better than white players, it was because I was the only person to talk about teams like Beaumont, Normandy, Wellston, Berkeley, Gateway Tech, Career Academy, McCluer North etc. All everyone else talked about was Chaminade, Desmet, Lafayette, and in general the MCC schools, and Suburban West schools. I got called that because I promoted kids no one was talking about. There was never a racial bias on my part. And how am I calling Roth, Erwin Claggett. I'm just making the statement that this guy is obviously a premier shooter and Majerus wants him so that should add even more merit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nate and/or V, what's the deal with FJ? Everyone keeps saying he wants to come to SLU and yet now that he has an offer (I think RM's first mistake) he has failed to commit. Is he being encouraged to delay his public verbal or is he waiting for some unknown reason? Is his offer from RM conditional on something else, meaning he is not able to accept at this point?

If none of my conspiracy theory factors come into play, what's wrong? Is SLU not the place he wants to be?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest BillikenReport

>Nate and/or V, what's the deal with FJ? Everyone keeps

>saying he wants to come to SLU and yet now that he has an

>offer (I think RM's first mistake) he has failed to commit.

>Is he being encouraged to delay his public verbal or is he

>waiting for some unknown reason? Is his offer from RM

>conditional on something else, meaning he is not able to

>accept at this point?

>

>If none of my conspiracy theory factors come into play,

>what's wrong? Is SLU not the place he wants to be?

I'd be very surprised if Femi John doesn't end up at SLU.

I would expect a commitment in the next two weeks, after John visits SLU again with his family.

- Nate

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's had other D1 offers for some time. He's had the SLU offer for less than a week. Give him a chance to digest it, and make a well-thought out decision that will change his life. Like Nate said, come back in a couple weeks and then ask the question. He still has the month of July, probably the most important month of AAU left to increase his stock and stockpile offers and then he will know all his options and can decide. Same for Roth. If one of them wants to commit soon, so they can get the spot for sure, that would be smart because they are essentially both looking at the same scholarship spot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

V, if both FJ and MR are looking for the same scholarship spot who would you prefer? It seems like there are many FJ's available every year, but shooters like MR are a rarer commodity. I say that never having seen Roth play, but relying on what you and other have written.

If FJ does commit (again I can't understand why he hasn't since he said SLU is where he wants to go) I hope I am wrong about him. I see him, and probably AM, as 'tweeners without the ability of a Monroe Douglass (same size) or the shooting ability of Claggs. I am trying to come up with a 6'4" Billiken since MD, who has been a real contributor to our success and can't do it. Closest are Scott H. and Tommie L., both of whom are 6'5" and have a unique ability---Scott=great shooter & TL=great all around ability. (Obviously you could add Larry H. to the list of 6'5" players)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...