We're selling ourselves short!

Love the attitude, doc, and you're exactly right. We are building exactly the kind of class that will be a good core of players to surround a star player like Suggs- two skilled bigs and a playmaking PG. To me, it seems that we're doing all we can to make the program attractive for Suggs, when you look at the other recruits, new arena, and a big time coach to make it more attractive and exciting for the fans and students. I thought I remember reading that Griffey showed a strong desire to play with Suggs; if Suggs were to commit, then Griffey, this is a whole new program. And for the first time, I'm confident we're making all the right moves to really build a special program here.

so cheese the fact that all 3 of eberhardt, thompson and reed all told tom timmermann they were coming to slu regardless means nothing?

ok.

and your question of tommie and kevin and who else he had closed of late would mean we would have zero players on our roster for next year's freshmen and sophomore class. i assume you really meant who coach soderberg signed as good lisch and liddell as we have indeed signed other players.

Yes to #2 and I never mentioned Barry Eberhardt in my post so why bring him up and I never saw where either Reed or Thompson said that they were coming to SLU no matter what. What I saw them say was that they always really liked SLU as a school and would like to attend here but that now with RM as the head coach it made the decision very easy. That is alot different then each of them saying that they were committed to Brad as the coach and that was why they were coming to SLU. If the two were so committed to Brad as the coach then why did they not commit earlier like Roundtree did for SIUC as an example? My interpretation of how both went down was - I like SLU as a school but I am not sure where I will end up. Then Brad is let go and RM is hired and now they are glad to come because they like the school and RM.

A week or so ago, I tried to get an answer from anyone who knew when the current "quiet or dead period" when coaches were not allowed to initiate contact with potential recruits would be over. No one responded but I assume we are still in that period. If so, that makes these 3 "08" verbals all the more impressive. Think what RM will be able to do when he can actually recruit instead of waiting for players to call him!

http://www.stltoday.com/blogs/sports-billi...s-vs-soderberg/

the above entry in timmermann's blog says all 4 of eberhardt, eckerle, thompson and reed told timmermann such.

roy, what is your point??? obviously, soderberg did not do a good enough job; therefore, he was fired. the arguement against your statements simply declares that: yes, maybe these players said they were very interested in slu, and so on... but, that does not necessarily mean that soderberg would have closed the deal. maybe he would have, maybe he would have not. who freaking knows??? but, you can not agrue against soderberg's track record of dismal recruiting... so that leads most of us to believe that he would not have closed the deal. geez, sometimes i think you still have not come to the understanding that soderberg was fired for his performance... its not like he stepped down or something like that.

I was as big a Brad supporter as anybody on here, but I wouldn't necessarily take that as gospel. There is a big difference from saying I would go there anyway, and actually doing it. For one reason or another, Brad couldn't get the commitments. You gotta give Brad credit for getting his foot in the door and luring the guys in. But, in the end, RM got them signed. Also, I think you have to add in a certain amount of political correctness to some of these quotes.

your exactly right... it is evident that soderberg made a good impression.. and i will give him that much, but as you said, i am still very skeptical whether these kids would have signed or not. regardless, this is an empty argument, and the bottomline is that we got the kids on board, and now we have a coach to actually utilize/optimize their specific talents.

my point is dont insinuate that soderberg wouldnt have signed those players. he apparently had them pretty much sown up thus thorpe was retained.

hey i am all for majerus. majerus is the best thing that has ever happened to slu basketball. but why dont the posters just focus on that and leave soderberg out of their comments?

and i dont think soderberg's recruiting was any worse than romar's or spoon's. i think he was fired because powerful folks had convinced biondi that they needed more of a splash guy to lead us to the new arena and i agree they accomplisched that with majerus. but as much as you hate to admit it, the statements made by these recruits show that it is more likely that soderberg would have signed all four of them not the opposite.

and for those to wonder why they didnt verbal while coach soderberg was still the coach, for one, those recruits likely didnt know he was on the verge of getting fired, and second, very few recruits do verbal in early spring late winter of their junior years. what roundtree did was not the norm.

>As best I can tell only one guy seems unimpressed with the

>class thus far (Truth) and that is in his 1st post on this

>Board. Let's hope this is not the reincarnation of

>Triangle.

I wouldn't worry about that. Triangle andToo, who has been around for brief spurts over the past several months, would post as "himself." He's not the type to formulate multiple monikers.

Donovan will show up with 6 million sausages and then change his mind at the mailbox. Majerus will roll up hanging off the side of the Popemobile® like a trash man with a 6-pack of sausages and seal the deal.

I think that's a hell of a selling point to the parentals - "Hey ma, pa! Look at the kid! This kid can slalom raindrops! Ya wannaputsum meat on his bones, send 'im to me! I don't know if ya noticed, but I know a thing or two 'bout eatin'!"

"I was likely coming" is not I was coming because Brad was coach. The only kid who had said he was actually coming was Paul E and he was on an academic scholarship not athletic. Once again I have not seen anywhere that says that Brett and Willis were definitely coming to SLU - it took RM actually land them.

I think the 3 recruits are fine, although there is no assurance all 3 will actually show up in this day and age.

I DO think think that NOW we should not take some of the targeted players that are now borderline... like Femi John... and wait and see if Majerus can hit a home run as he reaches out with the remaining schollies. Plenty of time.

Suggs, of course, we take if we can, and probably Brandenberg.

But the rest, hold off for now.

>keep reading that boook - he had more than 1 mcdonald's all

>american. i think he had 3, maybe even 4. britton johnson

>(name?) and chris burgess were both mcd's all american's. i

>believe the big fella who was the first pick in the nba

>draft was also a mcd's all american.

Didn't Burgess go to Duke first and then transfer to Utah because he wasnt playing?

What if Suggs wants to play with Perry? Getting FJ and MR would make that impossible as that would be 7 players. In fact getting FJ & MR makes it imposible to even get SS alone without taking PE off ath sch. (unless someone is leaving-Nate through out an interesting tidbit in theFJ thread)