Maybe no one cares but...

How ridiculous! Larry gave us more highlights in one year than we've had total in any four year period. Get off your high horse, man. If you would have had the chance to sign a contract for millions of dollars and start a career that you were born to have you would have done the exact same thing. For me he has been an extension of Billiken basketball and I have followed his career faithfully since he's been in the league. This is the most excited I've been about the NBA finals since 94 when AB was starting for the Knicks.

In my book that is 1/4 of a SLU National Championship.

If i heard the Spurs PA guy correctly he said at guard 32 out of Saint Louis (Who are the billikens if im not mistaken) Larry Hughes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

"I was on fire, I was hotter than a pistol" Jason McElwaine

If theres no SLU basketball in heaven I'm not going!!!!!!

Official Billikens.com Sponsor of Chris Sloan and Billiken Volleyball

and Official Billiken.com Online Video Guy

larry hughes is the greatest billiken in the last 15 years. no one else is close.

why would anyone harbor ill feelings over anyone taking the money that larry got as a lottery pick?

if larry had not went then and gotten hurt, would you have paid him the nearly $100 million he would have lost out on in future earnings? the man didnt want to be a student and had the ability and opportunity to be a professional basketball player. that is what he should do, not masquerade as a student for a couple more years just to earn fans undying admiration.

i am glad we had a chance to root for larry hughes for a year.

I can't speak for others but I can say without hesitancy that I do NOT harbor ill will for Larry taking the money and bolting to the NBA. I have said that before and I'll say it again. But I am more closely aligned with the "Larry as a St. Louisan" camp than I am the "Larry as a Billiken" camp. Maybe if Larry came back and eventually got his degree ala Vince Carter at North Carolina. Then I would certainly embrace the change over from "St. Louisan" to "Billiken."

Maybe if I were a grad of UNC, or Cincinnati, or Memphis, or Ohio State, where kids going pro more often than not gives me a greater platform of experience to speak from, then I might know how to adjust my mentality and accept it. And I can't base it on four years of playing because many guys don't graduate, what do I know. But I am more closer to calling someone something based on four years of playing and/or getting a degree that has the name of the institution on it. I consider guys like Baniak and Heinrich more Billiken than a Justin Tatum, Ricky Frazier or Craig Shaver.

Larry was a college version of today's free agent sports society. Was he the greatest SLU player in the last 15 years? Absolutely. Did he single-handedly take us to the second round of the NCAAs, put butts in the seats and make us money? Absolutely. Does that endear me to him and call him one of our own? Absolutely not. But that's me.

If pdiddy wants to shame me on that one, so be it. It is what it is and its my right ---- my right because its my opinion and places no obligation on anyone to agree with me.

I saw a special once on what Larry and his wife were doing in hospitals in the local area when he was a Wizard. Does he do that in St. Louis? Does he sponsor camps and make hometown appearances for charitable organizations there? He might, I really don't profess to know. But by doing that kind of work in DC, I felt a better sense of connection for him there. Does he now do taht in Cleveland? Mugsey Bogues used to come back to Baltimore every summer with the rest of the Baltimore alumni in the NBA and do charity work and local all star shows. Same with Sam Cassell. So too does Carmelo Anthony although he's still recovering from the "Stop Snitchin'" video he got duped into. As far as I know, Larry does nothing at Saint Louis University. And anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.

What is the difference between St. Louis, Philadelphia, Oakland, Washington and Cleveland in this guy's odyssey? Sorry ---- I don't see it.

last year hughes did radio and billboard commercials for slu.

i believe he has regularly done a couple of camps here in st louis.

if larry had left slu to transfer to kentucky or ucla, then i would harbor ill feelings. but to leave slu for his dream job of the nba when he was obviously talented enough to do so isnt a reason to taint my memory.

... great line last night .... in 23 minutes Larry was 1 of 5 shooting with one of those from three-point land, for two points and had nary an assist. I think he had two rebounds. Sounds like the Spurs were five-on-four on the defensive end.

I am guessing that foot is still bothering him and probably limiting him as well, yes?

it is my understanding that they shoot his foot full of novacaine before the game. as long as it is numb his play is passable. when it starts to wear off he is done for the night.

i have been following hughes in the playoffs pretty close and by watching his play and the substitution patterns of brown, the above seems pretty credible. he hasnt played 4th quarter since the injury occurred.

larry does camps at cbc on a yearly basis. AI, LeBron, Gilbert Arenas and many others have been in town for to participate.

larry has his own foundation, which is pretty active in ST. LOUIS, as well as whichever city he is playing in.

you think syracuse thinks of carmelo anthony as a true orangeman, is greg oden a true buckeye? It's a different time. Magic was at michigan state just two years as was Isiah at Indiana. Kevin Durant at Texas. Who knows, if they had won national championships there freshmen years instead of their sophomore years, they might have stayed only one year as well.

The stay in college may be only one year, but what these young men (larry included) do is win games, make money, put butts in seats and most importantly, it puts the school's program into the national conscience. That means greater exposure and better recruiting opportunities. It's up to the staff to take advantage of it. It's a great hit to lose a great player after one year, but that player puts you in a better position than where you were before the player showed up.

bad boyz for life

I guess there are just a lot of bitter people out there. They probably weren't SLU fans in 98' and can't recall how this city, for that year, became a college basketball town and sold out Kiel (at that time) on a fairly regular basis. Do I wish Larry had stayed an additional year, sure, but he made the right choice and it's one that most people would make, if they were in his shoes.

Hmmm, wake up and go to my finals exam, or enter the NBA draft and sign for a $2 million bonus.

.... I am not slamming Larry for taking the money. I would have done the same thing. Did he do the right thing? Yes --- because its all about him (and his family). No problems here. I just don't think he's a Billiken.

In pdiddy's list, Larry does CBC and Larry does St. Louis. Good for Larry, more power to him. He did a billboard and a radio ad for Saint Louis University. I see more and more that cements his St. Louis standing and not his Billiken standing. Is it that we are so starved for post-collegiate notoriety at this school that we'd take anything? Yes, I think that is it.

The problem to me is that Larry is/was not only a one-and-done but he is also a one-of-a-kind in that no where else in the history of Saint Louis University will you find an athlete who was able to do not only what Larry did on the floor, but also enabling him to leave as early as he did. Frankly, I doubt there will ever be another. Great player? Yep. Billiken? Not real sure but leaning towards "Nope."

taj, kshoe just said he doesnt read that far down in your posts.

you should have broken that bit of eloquence down to 4 separate posts

:-)

I just do not get this at all. Do you think the Texas fans will not always tout their man Kevin Durant, or the same with Oden at Ohio State and Wright at North Carolina, etc? Larry was a Billiken who played great, and tough and he was clutch. I was very unhappy when he went pro but I always said that if he were to be a top 10 pick then he had to go to help his family. It was a no brainer to go at the 6th pick in the draft. Larry is a Billiken and I am proud to call him a former Billiken player. Where in the world does this stuff come from? Sometimes I think that there are Billiken fans who will be negative about everything regardless of anything that might be positive. This is a perfect example. We need to be more positive in all respects.

Taj, I personally read the whole post, unlike my brother who is lazy, so I got what you were saying.

What I'm disagreeing with is the idea that he's not a Billiken, only because he played one year. He went to one university and played for one college team. As far as I'm considered, that makes him a Billiken forever.

>in this entire thread everyone is saying the same thing

>expect for 1 random internet poster that has a total of 75

>posts and has been registered for less than 3 months....

Oh, just 75 posts, so I am not a genius like you. Impeccable logic, you win the argument. Let me know when your next book goes on sale.

Actually, I learned something, if Hughes has really done some work for SLU radio, etc, as one post stated, then maybe he is OK after all.