SLU's advantage over Mizzou, SIU, MSU, and SEMO

VTIME

The ability to have big-time recruits come in for unofficial visits very easily. St. Louis is a MUCH bigger town and market than Columbia. There is much more talent in St. Louis than Columbia and that local area talent is easily able to make the commute to West Pine for unofficial visits while Columbia only has a small base of talent in its city and it has to make special arrangements to get quality recruits to come to there campus. Its a long overdue advantage that Majerus has readily exploited in his 4 weeks on the job. Already having several local guys in for unofficial visits.

Mizz does have those Saturday football games in Sept & Oct when kids are doing official visits. I think this probably makes up some for those unofficial visits in the spring & summer.

By the way any word on Powell? Last summer I remember you saying he was on campus a lot playing in pickup games, is/will he be doing that again. Also any word on his future, prep or JUCO or late signing somewhere. Aren't there still a few conferences that take partial qualifiers out there?

I spoke with one his high school teammates on the 13th. He still hasnt qualified, but is taking the test again in June. Whether he qualifies or not he's 100% trying to go to Mizzou. If he qualifies he could be announced as last signee of Anderson's 2007 class, but I think for some reason they would not be able to announce it until school starts because the signing period is over or something like that. If he doesnt qualifies he's going to try and enroll at Missouri and sit out a year and then play in 2008-2009 like Johnny Hill did. I didnt get a chance to ask if he had been accepted for admission to Mizzou.

Mike Anderson doesn't have any scholarships for 2007. He would have to walk on the Mizzou basketball team, assuming he would be admitted to the University, and qualify academically. And he would have to hope he could do well enough in school and on the court so that Anderson would use one of his 08 scholarships on him.

>Anderson does have a scholarship for 2007 due to Dandridge

>transferring. Apparently they are waiting on Powell or a

>trasnfer from Rhode Island.

you must be wrong if coutside says otherwise. He probably has breakfast every morning with Anderson. :)

is the powell family well off enough to be able to walk on at columbia, pay his own room and board and tuition? i would think that would bring the ncaa auditors running.

If you sit out as a non-qualifier, you are eligible for any financial aid that any other student would be eligible for, and alot of it is not academic-related. Pell Grants, FSEOG, Missouri College Guarantee (assuming Powell is a Missouri resident), etc. Lots of programs available to Missouri residents to help with their education, depending on their families financial situation.

bomerang, wouldnt a person if not eligible for an athletic scholarship have to at least meet the school's minimum academic requirements to get financial aid?

i have no problem with financial aid to needing students, however i would hope another deserving student that actually qualifies to go to college isnt being denied because a basketball player that cant qualify academically needs to get grants and loans instead to hide out for a year.

that would be wrong.

Little more complicated than that, alot of the financial aid is handed out based on financial need and not academic scores. Many inner city students qualify because of their financial hardship regardless of their academics. There is a difference between:

-- qualifying academically to be eligible to play NCAA sports

and

-- being admitted to a Missouri public college/university when you are a Missouri resident

Alot of students that aren't athletes are admitted to Universities, even though they would not have been NCAA-eligible if they were athletes (academic probation programs, etc), especially the first year students. If you are admitted, even on an academic probation-type deal you then still qualify for the same aid any other student would.

In some financial aid cases, you do have to meet certain academic requirements once you actually start attending classes.

>Anderson does have a scholarship for 2007 due to Dandridge

>transferring. Apparently they are waiting on Powell or a

>trasnfer from Rhode Island.

Thanks for clarifying. Anderson initially only had one scholarship available, which was the scholarship from their lone senior Marcus Watkins. When Dandridge officially announced he was leaving a few weeks ago, another scholarship opened. It will either go to Powell, the Delaware transfer who led his team in assists and the conference in steals or roll over into 2008 when the Tigers will have 7 scholarships open because of the graduation of Horton, Hannah, Butterfield, Grimes, Brown, and Volkus in addition to the aforementioned scholarship that is currently open.

Lady you are right on. I walked by Bauman-Eber today @ 4:30. Guess who is there? Right, Rick w/ the SLU bb team dressed in streets. He is standing talking. I am a distraction, but here is the important thing. No one notices me because Rick has their complete and undivided attention to a man. I imbibe @ a local bar and return. Rick is now seated, but still talking. This is over an hour later. However, some things do not change. First I remain a distraction, but no one notices me. Second, Rick has the complete undivided attention of the team. I have seen Rick on campus more in the past 3 days then I saw Sode in the past 2+ years. This guy must live and breathe bb. I think our team will morph beginning next year. By the way my comment on Sode does not include fall team practices, but rather the so called dead periods like now. Our players will come back next year fully motivated. The coach gives 100%, so he will demand such from the players. I bet Tommie brings the ball up court in a commanding, self assured, turn over free manner. Rick is working Sat-Sun-Mon, etc. How can you not be swept up in Billiken enthusiasm with Rick working so hard? He is an exorcist, freeing us of the evil spirit of mediocrity. I think the new beginning is November 2007. Attention Cowboy: You may wish to consider changing your handle to: "Its Easy Being A Billiken Fan".

couldn't he just get the first year out of the way this summer and be qualified for the 07 season.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

#1) Rick Majerus is a great hire. But a jump from an under-100 level program to Top 20 seems a little ludicrous at best. When did we lose sight of being a Top 50 program and set the expectation even higher? At a school where those aspirations have been pipe dreams at best? Let's learn to crawl before we walk. Larry Hughes was ranked as the second best recruit in the country by some services his senior year at CBC. We all saw what he did. But much like the old "give a man a fish feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for life" adage, Hughes was a plateful of candy to a starving a man. Sure, it felt like a great rush but 10 years later and where are we.

#2) Powell's eligibility. I don't know much about the inner workings of Vashon's basketball program and I don't want to debate Irons all over again, but here's a kid who can't seem to get a passing score in his ACTs/SATs. How many times now? Okay, okay, let's blame the test's racial bias that we so often hear about. Let him go the Justin Tatum route and discover a learning disability. Doesn't anyone see the problem here? If this kid, which seems typical of St. Louis city kids over the past few years, can't cut it now does anyone expect the river to suddenly reverse course and make him successful at college? Without being in a PE major? Which is essentially a useless degree designed to keep the athlete eligible. Is that really fair?

I got a kick out of something the doc told me about concerning Greg Oden at Ohio State. I think it concerned his second semester of classes but he was taking 12 hours last semester (enough to stay eligible and be considered a full time student and be able to compete intercollegiately). I was told that once in your four years of school (at least at OSU) a student can claim credit for six hours of classwork for playing the sport you are playing. Oden is rumored to have done that this past semester. He then took an African-American studies class, and a Historyof Rock-n-Roll class. At the Final Four, I remember someone, maybe Billy Packer or the like, asking oden if he was staying at OSU next year. I don't recall the answer but I don't believe it was definitive. So to continue, the interviewer asked if Oden "was enjoying college life." To that, Oden answered "oh yes, most definitely." With a course load like that, who wouldn't? This is almost as good as Leinert taking Ballroom Dancing at Souther Cal.

Proud Sponsor of Tony Romo and Carrie Underwood for "Ballroom Dancing Couple of the Year." I'd hold Carrie's purse at the awards show in a straight-up trade for the "benefits" as well.

UB has a family and since this job took so much personal time away from them, is why he wasn't as visible as RM. RM's unattached and can devote himself to this 100%, more like 110% from what's been written on here. Which is good. It's what we need. I remember reading an SI story on Gillespie last year. He's divorced and a bachlor as well. Everyone around him said he eats, drinks, and sleeps hoops. He said it wouldn't be fair for him to have a family. Seems to have worked out well for him. Hopefully, the same for us.

I agree with your point. I've said it before but one of Brad's problems was he was such a good family man. He would rather spend time with his family then sit in some gym watching 8th graders play.RM is a basketball junkie. He would rather talk basketball than do just about anything else. Coaching sports at a high level unfortunately takes away from a normal family life. Just ask any NFL coach.

But how many grants and other such money is still available this late in the process. If he doesn't take the SAT again until June, he will not find out if he passes until late July or so. Right?? Needless to say, I have no doubt Mizzou would pull strings to get him the required money.

With that said, if it were me and my son, I can just imagine (actually having trouble imagining my son applying at Mizzou but...) the admissions counselors saying there is no more grant/money this year, that my son can take out loans at a very high interest, that I can personally guarantee them and that, next year, we should apply earlier.