Does this Verbal mean no Brandenburg?

Hey, a guy can dream can't he?

Does this mean we aren't recruiting Brandenburg anymore or were we ever?

Am I hallucinating or wasn't there discussion on this site a week ago about how Thompson was getting more attention (from bigtime schools) than Brandenburg due to his athleticness but Brandenburg was more polished at this point.

I'm pumped about this not trying to throw water on this whole thing. I think we have plenty of scholarships to give in 08.

At this point I think Majerus can do it all. The guy is already bringing in increased ticket sales, top 100 recruit and national media coverage now we just need the W's.

I wondered the same thing about Brandenburg. Maybe he has no interest in SLU regardless of who the coach is. He may just want to move away from home. Or, he may still be in the mix. Any thoughts?

>i don't care what the experts say. i don't see how

>brandenburg is a highly sought recruit. i've seen him play

>multiple times and don't think much of him. i have only

>seen clips of thompson but i already think we've got the

>better player.

It's not a competition between the two kids. And as I said they don't have the same skill sets.

As I 've said many times, rankings, stars etc...don't mean anything. What matters are what the college coaches say and what offers you get. And both are doing well in that department.

I've seen Brandenburg play AAU and high school ball many many times, including several recent times. SLU would be fortunate to have him just as they are with Thompson, both for very different reasons.

From Rivals.com (taken from an article written on May 9th - in Lawrence, written on KUSlant, by a Kansas writer - not Missouri)

He quotes his top 5 - Florida, Wisconsin (offer), Stanford (offer), Virginia (offer), Missouri (offer)

Other schools of interest - Kansas, Clemson, Illinois, UNC, SIU (offer) Wake Forrest, Mo. St (offer), SLU, (offer)

I remember someone posted on here a year ago or so that he's a big fan of the ACC. He'll probably take UVA. Be a nice get, but after BT's verbal we've got our 5 covered. Now it's time to get a PG, a solid slashing 4, and Suggs...

For anyone who has seen both play...I am assuming that Brandenburg has more of a low post pressence than Thompson. Since I have not seen either I am asking about their differences as players. I am really excited that we do have Thompson's commitment.

It has sounded like that over the last year. Supposedly, his HS numbers don't look that great as he was never given the ball by the DeSmet guards. But hell in HS ball if you're 7' you should have got quite a few putbacks unless those guards were hitting at a 75% clip or so. One thing about his recruitment is he's never given SLU any indication we're even a blip on his radar. At least, we've been mentioned by Suggs.

>i have only seen clips of thompson but i already think we've got the

>better player.

If you only saw highlight clips of Brandenburg, when he was running the floor and dunking on people and blocking shots left and right, you'd think he was a McDonald's All-American.

- Nate

We can find a spot on the floor for both of these talented big men. We have six scolarships to offer and why not lock up a top 100 6'11 kid and a top 100 footer. That is the kind of thing big time programs do. It is time to get a real Marchetti Towers. The times they are a changing. It is time for JB to join in on what is going to be a really specail story over the next few years.

thinking we would quit recruiting Brandenburg because we got committment from BT doesn't make sense. We need more than 1 big. It also looks to me like BT can play the 4 ala Dirk while JB is a true center. Either way you load your roster with the best players you can get.

for 2009 we will have

2/3 DM

4/5 AK

3 MR

2/3 AM

4/5 BT

who am I missing? We still need a couple more bigs. We have 5 more schollrships for the 2008 season. We need at least 2 more bigs plus a couple of pg's or 1 pg and a combo type guard. I don't think the top players are worried too much about who else you are recruiting. They look for the challenge and want to play with and against the best.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

>>i have only seen clips of thompson but i already think we've got the

>>better player.

>

>If you only saw highlight clips of Brandenburg, when he was

>running the floor and dunking on people and blocking shots

>left and right, you'd think he was a McDonald's

>All-American.

>

>- Nate

Sometimes this board is lol funny Nate.

Suggs would be a slightly smaller version as Brewer was listed at 6'9". If you are saying Suggs can play like Brewer then he will be quite an addition to whatever college he decides to go. Corey Brewer was a super college player and should be a heckuva pro.

>If you are saying Suggs can play like Brewer

>then he will be quite an addition to whatever college he

>decides to go. Corey Brewer was a super college player and

>should be a heckuva pro.

You don't have to believe me on this. The fact that Florida offered him a scholarship and really wants him should speak volumes for the kind of prospect Suggs is.

(Brewer played in the Shootout here as a senior. He was on an awful high school team, but you could see he had a nice all-around game.)

- Nate

>(Brewer played in the Shootout here as a senior. He was on

>an awful high school team, but you could see he had a nice

>all-around game.)

I remember his game at the Shootout a couple years ago. He was from a small town in Tennessee, and the team consisted of him and a bunch of short, unathletic white guys. The coach's offensive strategy was basically get the ball to Brewer and let him do his thing while the other guys stood around and watched. Since the team's whole offense relied on Brewer, the coach didn't like to take him out of the game, even for a brief rest. I remember that sometime in the 2nd half, Brewer got so exhausted from being the entire team that he couldn't get back on defense in time and would just stand around mid court or the three point arc with his hands on his knees, trying to show his coach just how tired he was. This went on for a couple minutes until the coach finally gave in and took him out for a breather. His team got crushed by Webster Groves 73-43, and Brewer scored 34 of his team's 43 points.

Another report of Brandenburg being a little bit over-rated...

My old boss was asking me if I'd heard about the Thompson verbal and I said that I had, and that there was a possibility of getting another 6'11" guy, Brandenburg, who was rated even higher. I said that I'd heard he was a little soft and whatnot and he just kind of nodded, didn't know who he was. A few moments later he says, "Yeah, I was watching my daughter's game during districts awhile ago and caught part of a game between Webster Groves and... Desmet, I think it was. You know how some guys play bigger than their size??? Well Desmet had this kid that had to be almost 7'0" tall, and he played like he was 6'5", just real timid, never established a presence, I couldn't believe it, he just towered over these other kids and did nothing..."

I just smiled and said, "Yep, that was Brandenburg."

I hope we get him anyways, cuz Majerus will max him out, but I found that kind of interesting.