Coaching Staff @ First Watch with Recruit - 3/18

The Don

My fiancee, her son and I were having a late breakfast at First Watch in Clayton when I noticed Jamal Walker and the other coaches having breakfast with what appeared to be a recruit. Soon Brad walked in and sat down.

My fiancee's son, who is 7, is a big Billiken fan, and he wanted Soderberg's autograph. So we walked over, and he and the staff could not have been more gracious. I felt bad for interrupting their breakfast. He got the autograph, and was excited.

Brad said to us, 'this young man here is Greg, and we are hopeful he is going to help us have an excellent year next year.'

He was wearing a sweatshirt with 'NMH' on it, no idea if this has anything to do with where he is attending now.

Ideas on who this might be? I am not as close to the recruiting scene as some here, so hopefully someone can help me out there.

Northfield Mount Herman......prep school PG

Bill Batty's club has won five straight since a loss to Hargrave at the Hall of Fame Tournament. Tyrone Nash (Notre Dame) had 37 points and 12 boards in a win against New Hampton while unsigned senior guard Gary Correia added 22 points and 15 assists. Correia had 19 - all in the second half - in the loss to Hargrave while Jerrell Williams finished with 18 points and 10 boards.

right under UNass nosse but says he is interested in A10 schools St. Bonaventure and Rhode Island plus Drexel and Toledo which has quite a sports revival in basketball and football-all schools we could compete with; being in the A10 gives us recruits who see us play their local

schools in high population areas

2-star recruit; sounds like a role player who is unlikely to be a difference maker. That being said, he is not a bad recruit for the spring period when the better talent is taken. It is a shame the staff bombed last fall.

The school website and season results suggest that this kid may have the potential to give us some big help off the bench next year. I didn't see total stats for the season but from the game summaries I saw it looks like he was the pt with a great stroke from the 3 and an assist machine. One game he had 22 pts. and 15 assists and was 6/7 from 3pt. country. Against Hargrave, Tommie's old school, he scored 19 pts. all in the second half. This school is not the sisters of the poor either: one player signed at ND, 2 at LaSalle, one at Dartmouth. The preseason profile says he has interest and offers from Iowa State, SLU, U. Mass, Drexel and others. This may not be the second coming of Larry Hughes but it doesn't sound like the second coming of Darren Clarke either.

Recruiting sites and stars.........here are some no stars that people have drooled over and said we missed on. Jamal Tatum, Randal Falker, Lucas Orear, Matt Shaw, all 2007 recruits for wichita state, now sure it would be great if he was a 4 or 5 star recruit, but I suspect this kid would be a good recruit. Not sure if he will be able to start and play right away though, Would rather have a juco point.

If recruiting is as easy as you make it seems, why do Coaches make so many mistakes??? How can you so easily assume he is only a role player and not a difference maker? I guarantee if Brad is genuinely interested in this kid, He thinks of him as much more than that. There is no way Brad is recruiting a player with those expectations. Now, if your conclusion is that Brad can't evaluate talent, and you cite HD, DM, OI as evidence I can't disagree with you - but to automatically assume something about a player you have never seen or to conclude Brad has such low expectations for the players he recruits, doesn't seem very fair.

With the recruitment of Mitchell and Correia, Brad appears to be placing a priority on landing kids with toughness - it seemed like Bennett's old Wisconsin teams were stocked with tough, scrappy kids. Hopefully these two can provide Drejaj-like toughness with greater athleticism.

My assumption is based upon five factors: (1) he is a spring recruit, which by nature tend to be more roll players than stars, (2) Brad has a so-so at best track record with spring recruits, (3) he appears to be the staff's third choice among point guard recruits this spring (after Peterson and Walker), (4) even as a spring recruit he has only been offered by middle-tier mid-majors, and (5) the so-called experts have only given him two stars.

I have obviously never seen the kid play, but I don't have big expectations.

How would you know he is their 3rd choice. He may be the one Brad wants the most. Lets get real, we aren't going to have a roster full of 3, 4, and 5 star players. I don't know if it is correct or not, but someone listed that Shaw, Tatum, and Faulkner were all zero star recruits ... Shaw or Faulkner and we are playing in the tourney.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.