• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

>This is true, Sodie was wrong for leaving Wendell. The poster

>ESTLALUMNI is a friend of mine.I knew about what happened,I

>dont want to post negative stuff,but since its out,its true

>Ian is on the second team and will not start, as of

>yesterday.I hope Sodie changes his mind.

Something's got to give. Maybe benching Ian will break the lethargy. Then again, maybe it leads to a player revolt. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

p.s. I like the "Sodie" nickname. UB is getting old.

I am not going to sit here and say that the benching of Ian is completely unwarranted, but why make this move with a handful of games left in the season? It is not like he was setting the world on fire the first half of the season and is now laying an egg. Why not do this a month into the season? With this season going as it is, I think that few seniors would take this move and respond to it. I just don't understand why you do this so late in the season to a senior. If I was Ian I would tell Soderberg to enjoy the rest of the season and to go suck one.

>I am not going to sit here and say that the benching of Ian

>is completely unwarranted, but why make this move with a

>handful of games left in the season? It is not like he was

>setting the world on fire the first half of the season and

>is now laying an egg. Why not do this a month into the

>season? With this season going as it is, I think that few

>seniors would take this move and respond to it. I just

>don't understand why you do this so late in the season to a

>senior. If I was Ian I would tell Soderberg to enjoy the

>rest of the season and to go suck one.

>

>

This I don't get. Ian has been less effective primarily due to A) defenses scheming to stop him and B) a quicker paced offensive style that does not take advantage of his strengths, and he's still averaging 11 and 7 this year. He's the reason GW walked out of STL with a loss (16 points and clutch FT's) and despite the opinion on this board that the only game he's actually showed up for is UNC the stats would say otherwise: 17 @Pacific, 14 v. Loyola, 13 v. MO State, 18 @Fordham, 14 v. Charlotte, and many other double figure games.

Maybe this is a message like 05 when down the stretch BS cut the time of the seniors to give the freshmen more time for the next season.

I guess the mature move is telling a bus driver to leave when a kid is a few minutes late. I hope he enjoys that nice house in the county with the basketball court because he did nothing to earn that.

Ian is not going to get drafted based on what he does these remaining games, he will get drafted on what he does at the pre-draft camps and individual team work-outs.

Regardless of your stance on Sodie, you have to assume that Coach knows whether or not Ian is trying as hard as he should. Let's be real guys, coach knows Ian better than anybody on this board. He knows Ians strengths and weaknesses better than anybody on this board. And he wants the team to win more than anybody on this board...his LIFE actually depends on it. If Ian is not doing everything he can out there, then sit the kid and hope he has a change of heart. I mean, a man with any sort of character would be quite embarrased to lose his starting postion at this point in his career. I would hope he will do everything in his power to bring back the respectability.

Thats why I think those guys should have been getting minutes the entire season. I just never understood why Bryce and Adam were not getting any playing time throughout the season. I mean those guys hardly played in the preseason and in the early gimme games. I think most posters on this board questioned why these two were receiving so little pt and to just now start playing these kids seems a little late in my opinion.

I find it interesting to bench Ian with a handful of games left in the season and I found it just as interesting when he benched Reggie for the first game of his senior season in favor of Darren Clarke. I felt like that set a bad tone for the season and I feel like this decision just does not make much sense at this point in the season.

I think a lot of times seniors get to a point in the season where they are ready to move on and cash it in, especially if things are not going well. I think that maybe Ian cashed it in a long time ago and is ready for the next step in his life. I just don't understand the move at this point in the season. It is a little late to be trying to motivate your all-conference center. Ian and Soderberg do not have a good relationship and I am sure he will not take this demotion as motivation. I think if you talked to Ian he would tell you he is ready to move on and be done with Saint Louis University.

>This is true, Sodie was wrong for leaving Wendell.The poster

>ESTLALUMNI is a friend of mine.I knew about what happened,I

>dont want to post negative stuff,but since its out,its true

>Ian is on the second team and will not start,as of

>yesterday.I hope Sodie changes his mind.

I hope Brad does NOT change his mind. IV is not giving maximum effort on the floor. 14 rebounds and 15 fouls in the last 4 games combined is not acceptable.

However, IV should not be viewed as the scapegoat for this season. The blame for this season falls squarely on the shoulders of Brad, who failed once again in the offseason to land impact recruits at the 4 & 5 positions.

Just like 14 rebounds and 15 fouls over 4 games is not acceptable, neither is a 75-71 coaching record over close to 5 years (with zero NCAA tourney appearances).

How do you know he is being a jerk about anything? Your comment is so uninformed it makes you a loser, and a jerk at the same time. Even if your information came from a basketball player, it is at best third or fourth hand by the time it gets to this board. Your supposition that the coach is a jerk because of the scant information you have gleaned from this thread is idiocy. Get a life, man! On the one hand, you could be 100 percent correct. On the other hand, maybe the athletes, or maybe a few of them, could be complete jerks themselves. Have you obtained a transcript of the dialogue from this practice? If you haven't, or if anyone who has posted on this thread hasn't, I suggest you all keep your yamholes shut. Basically this is my point; Brad might be a jerk, he might deserve to be fired, his recruiting might suck, you might hate his game time coaching decisions, he might have bad hygiene, or be a bad dresser, but as far as what goes on in practice none of us is privy to that, and even Tdell is relying on second hand information. Jesus, I would hate to be a coach.

As someone who has extensive experience working with young men in stressful situations it would be even more remarkable if there were never any instances like this. Think about it you have a group of 18-22 year old males in college, travel frequently, spend immense amounts of time together there are going to be instances where some of them get out of line. The situation is magnified only because the team is not performing as well as expected this year. The strength of the team will be in how short their memory is. My motto was that I didn't hold a grudge and I hope that Sodie is that way as well. You mess up you get punished end of story move on from there. Let's see if that is the case here. We as fans probably won't know unless this is a problem that festers into some larger issue or is a symptom of a larger issue that has not been adequately addressed.

I agree with you about the point of assuming things. Most assumed the Duke Lacrosse players where guilty after hearing the initial reports. I am proud to say I reserved judgement on that.

We don't know if this is a big deal or not. I am of the opinion that a group of subordinates often has gripes about the person in charge. A team may often gripe about the coach that is just life. There is a saying, "A soldier aint happy unless he's b*tchin'."

If you break a rule there is a repurcussion. I would expect that Bennett has some buddy that let him down by not reminding him to get to the bus on time.

No, I don't have first hand information, but verification from a player's father is about as reliable information as most posters will receive. I have also personally heard Brad throw his players under the bus on three separate postgame interviews. I have personally witnessed him excessively scream up and down at his players during games. Everyone has different methodology for motivating people, but I have enough data to conclude that Brad embraces negative motivation tactics. IMHO, excessive negative motivation often constitutes acting like a jerk.

BTW, two years ago, the father of one of the then-seniors on the team posted some strong anti-Brad sentiments with very similar accusations. I have heard information about one of the current players' fathers (not TDell) having issues with Brad for the same reasons.

This is my personal opinion of a very public person from the data and information that I have availabile to me. You are free to disagree, but espousing my opinion certainly doesn't make me a loser.

I went too far calling you a loser, but I think you are letting your personal bias cloud your judgment. I have listened to every single post game interview the past several years (unless I didn't make it to my car quickly enough) and I never remember Brad "throwing a player under the bus" as you put it. He is almost always very measured in his comments, and his tone is neither sarcastic nor overly harsh. You have to remember that these kids have his very livelihood in his hands, and I have to remind you once again that you don't know whether these guys are complete jerks to him at various points in time. I know that Brad has consistently said that he loves this group of kids, but that doesn't mean that he isn't going to yell at them and at times be harsh. If you want someone who will be the players' buddy and go out on the town with them, I'm pretty sure the Quin Snyder is available. All I'm saying is that you really have no idea what is going on in practice, and that's the way it should be. I mentioned in another thread my bitter disappointment in this season, and I'm not sure whether Brad is the man for the job, but right now it's his team, and I'm not for letting the inmates run the asylum. Why does Ian deserve to start, anyway? Maybe he'll be better off the bench, and maybe he needs to wake up.

Truly an amazing and breaking news post!!

Nark/3-Star. SLU actually has a head coach who treats his star players differently than his walk-on players. Finally, I am now convinced that we must fire Brad immediately! As far our new coach, we need to find someone like my 5 year old's soccer coach - a coach who plays all players an equal amount regardless of performance. Don't want to hurt feelings. That's it. Let's find a nice coach and not a "jerk."

Greece. If you don't bench an underperforming "star" like Ian, you find it objectionable to bench him with only a few games left? Are you serious? That may be the dumbest thing posted in awhile. Do you not realize that there is still a conference tourney which SLU, with an inspired Ian, could easily win. If not, there is still the NIT, pride and recruiting at stake?

Dribble, dribble, dribble... Sure, glad you guys ran BROY off.

>Truly an amazing and breaking news post!!

>

>Nark/3-Star. SLU actually has a head coach who treats his

>star players differently than his walk-on players. Finally,

>I am now convinced that we must fire Brad immediately!

I agree 100% with Brad or any other college coach treating his stars differently than his walk-ons. This a man's livelihood we're talking about. I was trying to explain how Danny's accusation of special treatment may have lead to Ian's demotion in practice.

The thing that pisses me off is that this story is really true. I heard about this personally from a contact within the team office. The one thing you don't want to do is destroy Ian's confidence so I say start him tonight, we need him. After confirming this story I have sent the AD office a email to complain. The truly sad thing about this is that from what I am hearing this is nothing new coming from Brad. Brad is a a good and caring person and based on my training and years of observing this type of behavior more than likely something traumatic happened at a young age and the cycle continues. I don't care about color, religion, political views or anything but just please treat everyone on the team the same in that situation!!!

What Danny Brown did shows alot about that kid. That was brave and shows his toughness. That's something I didn't think I could ever say about anyone on this team. I have been so made about this SLU team I stopped posting here. DB is my new hero. It's about time someone confronted Coach. Leaving Bennett at the hotel was dead wrong. I found out Bennett is the only player on the without a roommate and he just over slept. Chances are if he would have had a roommate this would not have happen. Haven't we all done that a time or two before.

My source tells me Brad was so pissed at Danny for calling him out in front of the team he turned red hot in the face. No one had at least on this team had ever confronted Brad like that before. I have kids of my own and I wouldn't want to see one of them left behind in that situation. What if something bad would have happen to the kid. How do you explain that to the parents....All it would have taken was waiting 5-10 more minutes to wait. Good job DB standing up for your teammate and DB was right, Coach would not have left Kevin, Tommie or even Luke behind like that!!!!!!!!

"No one had at least on this team had ever confronted Brad like that before."

I agree with your sentiment. I would be damn proud of my kids if they stuck up for their teammates in the face of a piping hot mad coach. DB's playing time and/or leash will be interesting to watch.