Ian will not start Saturday

ESTLALUMNI

As of today Ian is on the second team in practice,Bryce will start in Saturday's game.They had an emotional practice yesterday.The team is upset at Soderberg because when they were in Rhode Island,Soderberg told the bus driver to leave Wendell Bennett at the hotel because he was a couple of minutes late.He didnt make it to the game.So today in practice Soderberg had them running lines,he told Wendell to go home because he wasn't running fast enough.The team took up for Wendell,Danny Brown said if that was Kevin,Ian,or Tommie you would not have left them at the hotel,Soderberg was very very upset,there were tears shed..Unless something changes Ian will not start...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's something wrong with the flow of our offense, and there has been all season. RI had 25 assists, we had 10. There have been similar margins several times this season.

I hope the team's not falling apart. Maybe they're just getting good old-fashioned fired up. That would be super. And yeah, Wendell Bennett had better have his ass in line 24/7. You think ND wouldn't have sent Rudy Ruettiger's ass packing if he was late for a game, or was half-assing it in practice? They would have. (Ass).

Ian doesn't get 25 chances to deliver by default. If he's not performing he sits. I hate to ever hear of anyone crying, especially Danny Brown, but maybe this will bring the team together, at least for next year.

I wonder if everyone who ripped me then for saying Ian needs to sit are going to rip Soderberg for sitting him? And don't tell me we can do it now because Bryce and Adam have more experience. The point of sitting Ian would be to somehow light a fire under him, not because Bryce or Adam could give us better numbers than Ian.

I believe some people had posted on here weeks ago that Soderberg had lost his team. I think this incident would have to support those comments. Benching Ian this late in the season may not give Soderberg the desired result, I think Ian is goin to essentially say forget you Soderberg and I am done with this mess. I just don't think that benching a kid with a handful of games in his career is going to light a fire, I think I would be ready to cash it in at that point.

Maybe our team is finally showing some emotion.

Jimbo, I loved the rudy reference as it was on TV last night again. what a great movie.

If wendell doesn't get his ass down to the bus in time, leave him everytime. You are a walk-on, you are privalaged to be on the team, and you don't show up on time?? Unacceptable.

Ian's benching is coming about 10 games too late, but I suppose as the old adage goes, better late then never.

To Wendell: "Your 5 foot nothin. A 100 and nothin. With hardly a speck of athletic ability.....you better get ur braids done in time next time"

Well, I think i very good arugement can be make that Ian cashed it in long ago. Sitting him will more than likely not have an effect one way or another. Hopefully, Ian will want to finish his collegiate (and probably American) career in style.

And I'm sick of this team being such pu$$ies. We heard how everybody was sooo upset with Soderberg after a PATHETIC performance against SJU last year. Awww, poor kids. You play like ###### and expect to be patted on the back? You gotta earn it. Grow a pair. Play with some GD passion and don't take any crap. I can think of TWO instances all year where I saw emotion from our team. 1) JJ's halftime Dunk, 2) Tommies in your face putback slam. Other than that, our team can look like a bunch of wusses.

I rarely post anymore, but this thread really is so amazing to me that I must respond . . . .

It's amazing that some no-name poster with 14 posts can create a fantasy like that and get other people to respond to it with a straight face. Evidently none of those claims need to be challenged.

It is also predictable which posters would be so eager to buy into it. I am just amazed at how gullible every response sounds--and how nobobdy even wants to question whether it has the advantage of being true, or in the vicinity of truth.

Still, I do have some stories to tell, if you are interested. Have you heard the one about Jack and his magic beans? Or how about Little Red Riding Hood??

Do you think that singling out seniors and telling them they let the team down after a career ending loss is appropriate? Sure if you have no respect for kids beyond the basketball court. Anthony Drejaj poured his heart out for the Billiken's for 4 years and to be called out like that after the last game of his career shows a lack of respect in my opinion. If I was Anthony Drejaj I would have been beside myself with anger. It is fine to ride kids and get on them, but you have to draw the line somewhere and I am constantly hearing stories of that line getting crossed anytime Soderberg faces adversity. I am glad to hear Danny Brown standing up to Soderberg and defending Wendell Bennett, maybe it has been a long time coming for someone to stand up to him and call him on his actions.

You must have missed the part where people posted they hope it is not true or when I posted that I hope it is true. That means people were not assuming the post was a fact. I hope your students are better at reading comprehension than you. I think that your post proves that the biggest problem at colleges and universities around the country is not the students, but rather the instructors.

I have no problem with DB standing up for Wendell. That's what good teamates do and it shows they do have the ability to be aggresive/passionate about something. It just seems our players are all very soft...short of KL. It sucks to get yelled at, but you gotta deal with it...you're adults. And hey, maybe if you played worth a damn on the court, you won't get yelled at. There's a wacky idea.

What I have heard is that Soderberg often takes getting on guys and criticism too far and takes shots at guys that are beyond the basketball court. I think that is disrespectful and inappropriate. Maybe some of the kids on this team are soft and should be able to handle getting yelled at a little better, but the stories I hear are beyond just getting yelled at and are of Soderberg crossing the line. As a coach you have to realize that not every kid takes criticism the same or is goin to be motivated in the same manner. Calling out a kid like Drejaj and riding him will probably get him to run thru a wall, but a kid like Ian may not take that constant verbal abuse the same way and may turn it off.