In the for what it is worth catagory

Kahok

I spoke with a friend of mine over the weekend and this person is a sports agent, He represents a few basketball players, but primarily football players and coaches. Anyway he tells me that TL is starting to get a lot of looks and could work his way into the first round. Scouts like his long range shooting abilities as well as his ability to drive and his unselfishness. Like I said take it for what it is worth.

i believe you. there are enough scum agents out there that would bet the career of any kid for a shot at a dime.

the fact is that tommie liddell has no chance of being a first round draft pick this year. he is still a quicker release and a better assist to turnover ratio away from being an nba player imo.

Don't worry about my SCUM friend, He would not be an agent that would represent Tommie, He was just sharing what some scouts have said.

Tommie shoots over 50% from Three

He could be the A-10 player of the year

He is looked at as a point guard,

Unselfish and a good passer and assist person.

FYI Not everyone is a scumbag. You have redline scumbags in your profession also.

kahok, i didnt say your friend was a scumbag. i said there are some scum agents out there that would tell a kid anything.

the fact you said that your friend didnt say it but that others did proves he isnt in that boat.

and i agree there are plenty of scums in my profession. too many. most of the ones you hear on the radio and tv are in that category of telling you what you want to hear. it drives me crazy.

TL definitely has the potential to be an NBA player. However, he is still at least a year off. His ball handling skills need improvement if he is to even smell the NBA draft and he needs to prove that he can hit the outside jumper consistently. Remember guys, the draft is two rounds with guarantee money in round 1. With European players and freshman (Durant) potentially coming out more often, you leave yourself little room in the draft. Tommie has the tools and potential to make it but in my opinion right now he needs all four years in college to develop into a NBA prospect.

But you guys are correct in stating that some scout will come calling him name pretty quick here (if not already). TL and his family just need to understand that this will happen and realize he needs some time in college.

Not so quick Broy, Jr. UNC has a way of keeping kids until they win an NCAA championship. Something in the Chapel Hill air, I guess. Now if they pull it off this year, all bets are off, but if not, I could see those guys staying until their soph's and trying again, ala Felton, Williams, and May.

... Tommie is the kind of player that four years in a program would really be beneficial. Of course, with millions of bling staring you in the face, you do what you have to do.

Guaranteed money in the NBA is only a first-roudn thing, tho, right? So if Tommie is a second rounder, he's essentially on his own. With what 32 teams that's 64 overall spots. I keep hearing how the Celtics are thrilled to be holding two or three draft picks because this is projected to be a "deep" draft. Tommie's name is not likely being thrown about right now and yet its a "deep" draft. That doesn't sound too good to me but that's me, not somone as gifted as Tommie.

I like Tommie's game and all, and I'm sure that in the helter-skelter, no defense world of the NBA, he would look even better. It's a tough call but if it happens, much like Hughes, the effects would be devastating to this program. We are not a typical program. We do not have kids typically leave in early out situations. We have yet to recover from our one and only early out. Losing Ian and Tommie, with no real help realized this year, with no one signed on the dotted ine for next year ..... well, let's just say that if that happens, the St. Bonaventures and Duquesnes of this conference will be calling for our ouster.

While I'm focused at about 90% on this year, the assets for the future are "light."

Keep all this in perspective - before you can be drafted you have to get on the radar screen. Then you have to stay on the screen. TL will not be the A10 player of the year - look at his rankings in the conf. He is doing well but not good enough to be POY. TL has a very good chance of being drafted in the first round but probably not until after next year if he improves his game again for next year. I agree - we may not have him for 4 years but I bet we do for 3. No need to come out early for as a second round selection - you can always be that unless you fall of the map.

are yall stupid, so if tommie wins player of the year in the A 10 you are saying he has no chance of making the NBA. he has a shot no matter what. He is 6'5 pont guard. athletic with an improving jumpshot. Great handles and court awarness. He has a chance, and with a player of the year award it just adds to his resume.

No...people are saying...no check that I will only speak for myself...I am saying TL and I personally have an equal shot of being drafted in the 1st or 2nd rounds of the NBA this year...none. That is what I am saying. People can discuss in a few years, or each year as he goes etc...and re-visit the issue all they want. If the topic is what are his chances after this year to get drafted...they are zero. He is doing well and down the road has a lot of potential to make it if he continues to improve.

i see you are john brandenberg. i hope you come to slu.

that said, you gotta understand, there are a lot of tommie liddell guards out there. turn on espn any night and there will be a guard playing that could compare to tommie liddell right now. a guard has to play at another level to be a first round pick. the truth is that first round picks dont have negative assists to turnover ratios and they are able to not only shoot at the pace tommie is currently shooting, but they can get that shot off in traffic and make it. i am not sure tommie has a quick enough release to do that yet.

hey i am a huge tommie fan, but for him to be thinking nba at this stage would basically banish him to europe the rest of his life.

Assuming you're just a weekend warrior like the rest of us, I'd have to disagree that you guys have equal chances of making the League this year. I wholeheartedly agree that he isn't ready yet and a 1st round draft pick is a pipe dream...but crazier things have happened. Every year I am amazed by some of the people who get drafted and where they go. Tommie could be one of those people...however long a shot it is. It would be a very ill advised decision, IMO, to declare this year.

>Assuming you're just a weekend warrior like the rest of us,

>I'd have to disagree that you guys have equal chances of

>making the League this year. I wholeheartedly agree that he

>isn't ready yet and a 1st round draft pick is a pipe

>dream...but crazier things have happened. Every year I am

>amazed by some of the people who get drafted and where they

>go. Tommie could be one of those people...however long a

>shot it is. It would be a very ill advised decision, IMO, to

>declare this year.

I said he wouldn't get drafted this year. Making the league etc...and getting drafted are two very different things...as are getting drafted in 1st or 2nd round....3 different things.

Now...if I were to elaborate which I din't think I needed to do...because I think most people would agree with that...

...he needs to work hard on his handle. He doesn't yet have a great handle. He just about over his turnover mark from last year already...SLU sure could have used that handle in all those turnover loss games this year.

...His 3 point accuracy is way up which is good...not a lot of attempts but the accuracy is there....what happens when the attempts go up? what happens in tougher games? How did he do vs Texas A&M and UNC.....the actual tough games. And not v weak league play.

He is athletic, improving his shot, still needs to make better decisions and protect the ball better. Should be taking over games all the time v the competition and considering his teammates. ...that's a given.

He is doing well....and progressing fine...I do't see ahy people can't just leave him alone and let him play. He isn't going anywhere just yet. He isn't a two year player. Look at all the high quality two year players out there that do it against better competition.

One updated draft spot has him as 41st best Soph in the country. Not player, or draft prospect...Soph. Now people can disagree with that ...etc...and that is fine...but it hopefully will give people some perspective as to where some others see him...

And no, he doesn't need to play the point at the next level...he can and that is fine...but he can make it at other positions too....

Increase those attempts from FT line and from 3 and keep those percentages...continue to take over games against these lesser opponents. Play within the team....gotta increase that handle....and improve that defense.

He's fine. He just has no chacne of getting drafted this year...never said never etc...he isn't ready...NBA people think so too...and so does everyone else not on a SLU message board.

I agree he could play the point, but that would not be his best position in the pros. I think right now he is a poor mans D Wade. He has the potential to become a lot better than that (I am not saying he is the next Wade, their are a lot of similarities in their games). His potential is of the charts, but his game was extremely raw when he got here and he is still not a very polished player. He lacks the killer instinct right now that the NBA looks for with players of his size and ability.

If you read the article, especially the last paragraph "Work To Do" Soderberg thinks Liddell needs to do more work on his shot. "And Liddell knows he needs to work on his ball skills, that some-times he's overconfident and that leads to turnovers." The article concludes that this may well be the work that is ahead this summer for Liddell, and judging by the work he is parepared to put in, that may well be the headache that awaits A-10 coaches next fall.

I don't see anything here that indicates Liddell is prepared to opt for the NBA draft at this time.

I said he wouldn't get drafted this year. Making the league

etc...and getting drafted are two very different things...as

are getting drafted in 1st or 2nd round....3 different

things.

I'm 99.99% sure Tommie will be back next year, however CJ Miles did get drafted in 2005 and I dare say that he doesn't have the overall offensive skills of Tommie nor the defensive prowess. In addition what outstanding skill set did 6'3 Daniel Ewing bring to the 2005 draft.

Now...if I were to elaborate which I din't think I needed to

do...because I think most people would agree with that...

...he needs to work hard on his handle. He doesn't yet have

a great handle. He just about over his turnover mark from

last year already...SLU sure could have used that handle in

all those turnover loss games this year.

So now he is to be blamed for all the losses. Tommie in fact does have great handles, what he lacks is great focus. You also have to factor in the talent level of his teammates. Good teams know that if you take away Tommie and Kevin, you stand a good chance of beating SLU. Guess who has been missing this year due to injuries? That's right Kevin Lisch, so where do you think that defensive pressure funnels to, Danny Brown? It's directed at Tommie so therefore the turnovers will increase as he is the primary ballhandler.

...His 3 point accuracy is way up which is good...not a lot

of attempts but the accuracy is there....what happens when

the attempts go up? what happens in tougher games? How did

he do vs Texas A&M and UNC.....the actual tough games. And

not v weak league play.

He was the only player for SLU in double figures vs Texas A&M despite being fouled on almost every drive. SLU was severely outmanned vs A&M and UNC. You can't expect him to go out and give you 30 points vs those teams as they tend to come at you in waves. Put him on equal footing vs those players and I'll bet you will see the type of player he is.

He is doing well....and progressing fine...I do't see why

people can't just leave him alone and let him play. He

isn't going anywhere just yet. He isn't a two year player.

Look at all the high quality two year players out there that

do it against better competition.

Back to CJ Miles, high school kids were drafted all the time despite playing only against high school competition. I don't care how down the A-10 is purported to be, I'm willing to believe that most A-10 teams will provide better competition than your typical high school schedule. Teams draft on needs and potential. Tommie is a 6'5 guard who can defend and rebound. Pat Calathes was coming off consecutive scoring highs when St Joe's faced SLU. He struggled vs Tommie and SLU, same thing for Charlotte's DeAngelo Alexander.

One updated draft spot has him as 41st best Soph in the

country. Not player, or draft prospect...Soph. Now people

can disagree with that ...etc...and that is fine...but it

hopefully will give people some perspective as to where some

others see him...

From what you know of Tommie you should have discounted that site yourself.

Increase those attempts from FT line and from 3 and keep

those percentages...continue to take over games against

these lesser opponents. Play within the team....gotta

increase that handle....and improve that defense.

You can't make free throws if you don't get the benefit ot the fouls being called. Play within the team, I qoute Coach Soderberg, "get him the ball and get out of the way". If anything he probably should freelance more. The handles are fine. At 6'5 he has guarded guys from 6'10 to 6'1 and has more than held his own. He probably will never be as stout of a defender as Kevin Lisch is on the ball, however Lisch has a lower center of gravity.

He isn't ready...NBA people

think so too...and so does everyone else not on a SLU

message board.

So this is why teams like the Spurs were contacting the staff at SLU prior to the start of this season. I'm pretty sure they have better things to do other than perform cursory background checks on college players who have no chance of being drafted. Again 99.99% sure Liddell will be back, however lets not pretend he isn't on the NBA radar.

I was hoping to stay quiet however, I can verify that everything that Kahok mentioned is the truth. People are making their professional interest in Tommie very clear. Rest assured everyone close to Tommie are very level-headed and I in particular know the cautionary tale of Thomas Gardner.

>I said he wouldn't get drafted this year. Making the league

>etc...and getting drafted are two very different things...as

>are getting drafted in 1st or 2nd round....3 different

>things.

>

>I'm 99.99% sure Tommie will be back next year, however CJ

>Miles did get drafted in 2005 and I dare say that he doesn't

>have the overall offensive skills of Tommie nor the

>defensive prowess. In addition what outstanding skill set

>did 6'3 Daniel Ewing bring to the 2005 draft.

>

>Now...if I were to elaborate which I din't think I needed to

>do...because I think most people would agree with that...

>

>...he needs to work hard on his handle. He doesn't yet have

>a great handle. He just about over his turnover mark from

>last year already...SLU sure could have used that handle in

>all those turnover loss games this year.

>

>So now he is to be blamed for all the losses. Tommie in fact

>does have great handles, what he lacks is great focus. You

>also have to factor in the talent level of his teammates.

>Good teams know that if you take away Tommie and Kevin, you

>stand a good chance of beating SLU. Guess who has been

>missing this year due to injuries? That's right Kevin Lisch,

>so where do you think that defensive pressure funnels to,

>Danny Brown? It's directed at Tommie so therefore the

>turnovers will increase as he is the primary ballhandler.

>

>...His 3 point accuracy is way up which is good...not a lot

>of attempts but the accuracy is there....what happens when

>the attempts go up? what happens in tougher games? How did

>he do vs Texas A&M and UNC.....the actual tough games. And

>not v weak league play.

>

>He was the only player for SLU in double figures vs Texas

>A&M despite being fouled on almost every drive. SLU was

>severely outmanned vs A&M and UNC. You can't expect him to

>go out and give you 30 points vs those teams as they tend to

>come at you in waves. Put him on equal footing vs those

>players and I'll bet you will see the type of player he is.

>

>

>He is doing well....and progressing fine...I do't see why

>people can't just leave him alone and let him play. He

>isn't going anywhere just yet. He isn't a two year player.

>Look at all the high quality two year players out there that

>do it against better competition.

>

>Back to CJ Miles, high school kids were drafted all the time

>despite playing only against high school competition. I

>don't care how down the A-10 is purported to be, I'm willing

>to believe that most A-10 teams will provide better

>competition than your typical high school schedule. Teams

>draft on needs and potential. Tommie is a 6'5 guard who can

>defend and rebound. Pat Calathes was coming off consecutive

>scoring highs when St Joe's faced SLU. He struggled vs

>Tommie and SLU, same thing for Charlotte's DeAngelo

>Alexander.

>

>One updated draft spot has him as 41st best Soph in the

>country. Not player, or draft prospect...Soph. Now people

>can disagree with that ...etc...and that is fine...but it

>hopefully will give people some perspective as to where some

>others see him...

>

>From what you know of Tommie you should have discounted that

>site yourself.

>

>

>

>Increase those attempts from FT line and from 3 and keep

>those percentages...continue to take over games against

>these lesser opponents. Play within the team....gotta

>increase that handle....and improve that defense.

>

>You can't make free throws if you don't get the benefit ot

>the fouls being called. Play within the team, I qoute Coach

>Soderberg, "get him the ball and get out of the way". If

>anything he probably should freelance more. The handles are

>fine. At 6'5 he has guarded guys from 6'10 to 6'1 and has

>more than held his own. He probably will never be as stout

>of a defender as Kevin Lisch is on the ball, however Lisch

>has a lower center of gravity.

>

>He isn't ready...NBA people

>think so too...and so does everyone else not on a SLU

>message board.

>

>So this is why teams like the Spurs were contacting the

>staff at SLU prior to the start of this season. I'm pretty

>sure they have better things to do other than perform

>cursory background checks on college players who have no

>chance of being drafted. Again 99.99% sure Liddell will be

>back, however lets not pretend he isn't on the NBA radar.

>

>I was hoping to stay quiet however, I can verify that

>everything that Kahok mentioned is the truth. People are

>making their professional interest in Tommie very clear.

>Rest assured everyone close to Tommie are very level-headed

>and I in particular know the cautionary tale of Thomas

>Gardner.

Reading comprehension is a skill...one that is abysmal on this board...when did a blame SLU's losses on Liddell??? Saying SLU is in desperate need of a point guard is true...they don't have one...when team's pressure SLU, SLU turns it over...game after game...if TL was such a great ball handler...(for 94 feet)...this should have been of some help to SLU.

No one is saying he doesn't create plays for himself and with more aggression comes more possiblity for turnovers. However there are other players out there who can do both. To say Lidell's turnovers are the sole reeason of lack of focus....well one I obviously don't agree and two...that is a rather alarming lack of focus.

Now it's the officials fault he isn't getting FT more attempts...or the coach's fault etc...did the dog eat his homework too?

When I entered this thread it was to say imo he is not going to get drafted this year, period. That stays the same. You sat on a fence. Do you think he will get drafted this year in either round? Yes or no....that is the question...if yes...it is same as my thoughts or others. Being on somebody's radar...etc...isn't the issue here...this is about getting drafted this season

There are many reasons why players get drafted or don't...not all based on ability either. So I base my opinion on two things, one I don't think those 32 or so teams will draft him this year...and two, I wouldn't this year either.

He's doing well...and improving all the time...and we'll se him again next year, and that is great.

I've said the same thing previously about Tommie. It's not that he doesn't have the handles or the skill level to protect and distribute the ball ... imo he just seems to get a bit complacent at times, or as you say, to lose focus. He's young and has improved his game in 1 year as much as many do throughout their entire college careers. It also says alot that he realizes that the better his fundamentals are ... the better he can be. Many of the kids with great athleticism ... don't improve their skill level, they just get by with great athleticism ... we have a couple of those from this area in the NBA right now.

Btw ... the dunk in the last game got so much attention. I really liked his drive before that where he spun hung up in the air, switched hands and softly laid the ball in the basket. I saw it and thought WOW ... then I thought, the incredible thing is I've seen him make that exact same move before, more than once.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

TL does make the NBA. But only goes this year or next if he's a first rounder. Kind of selfish of us to want him to stay if he's a legit 1st rounder. And it's kind of foolish of us to be evaluating his readiness for the NBA. Am sure their scouts know what they're looking for. If he does go this year, that's kudos to UB for getting him to the next level, and you don't often hear me tipping my hat to UB.