It freakin amazes me...

davidnark

...how many college basketball teams are regularly on TV in St. Louis, and we only get to see the local team a handful of times. I swear I have seen Carbondale, Wichita State, and Creighton on TV twice as much as SLU. Right now Samfor v. Eastern Illinois is on TV. I think every single Indiana game is on TV in St. Louis. That doesn't even account for Illinois or Mizzou, who essentially show every game on TV locally. This TV situation is brutal.

P.S. I am on this soapbox today because I had a committment that prevented me from attending the game in person, and I was forced to listen to it on the radio while I flipped through three other games on TV.

A very legit point, Nark. Even worse for someone like me, who lives in the Midwest, but not in Saint Louis area. Not to make excuses, but this is a HUGE reason why recruiting has to be such an uphill climb at SLU. Even in the team's heydey in the old CUSA, TV coverage was limited. What makes any potential stud from Chicago through KC want to give the team a sniff when, for instance, a more attractive Big 12 or Big 10 or Big East team can point to all of the times they make it on TV.

More directly to your point - in this day and age with unlimited TV channels and broadband Internet, it makes no sense that we can't see every game of any team we want, at least for a price. But the option doesn't even exist.

Let's be thankful players the caliber of Tommy and Kevin, who are now inspiring discussions of comparison to NBA players on this board, came to SLU regardless.

A number of SLU's A-10 conference games can be found at various places on DirecTV. Usually we are getting the opponent's station, but the A-10 announcers are usually neutral.

The Texas A&M game was on Fox Sports Southwest, but was blacked out for some reason on our DirecTV.

Today's game against GW again featured the WWE's Jonathan Coachman on the play by play. He also did the play by play for SLU's game at Fordham. The game today was on MASN, Channel 626.

Our TV coverage sucks this year, sucked last year, and the year before that ... and so on and so on. We are on freakin charter. I can't believe you can even call that TV coverage with a straight face.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

SLU somehow needs to get its games on Fox Sports Midwest, like Xavier games are on Fox Sports Cincinnati and Fox Sports Ohio.

That would allow the games to be on TV in St. Louis on the cable systems, throughout many areas of the Midwest on their cable systems, and on DirecTV Channel 647 for expatriates like this poster.

I agree that it is absurd for SIU, Creighton, et al., to be on Fox Sports Midwest, when SLU is a TV nomad.

Actually, FoxMidwest is not just a station for St. Louis. It actually makes sense for them to want to show some MVC and Big 12 games which they have done this year and in the past. Funny that nobody complained about FoxMidwest when they did that last year. As far as Charter is concerned, we have to take what we can get given our TV package is not big revenue maker for the stations. When this team gets better and starts making noise nationally then we can expect a better TV package. It never ceases to amaze me how people just keep beating a dead horse like this TV thing - time to grow up and get over it. Look forward to next year and what will happen to make it better.

I didn't bring it up ... It does suck though and has sucked. Being on charter is not a good tv package, and having a bad tv package hurts recruiting. Obviously it's not the only thing involved in recruiting, but it is one thing that helps sell a recruit on a program and we don't have a good one. That's Fact.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

I realize Fox Sports Midwest is not just a St. Louis station. Fox Sports Ohio is not just a Cincinnati station; I believe it is on in Cleveland and Columbus. Yet, Xavier gets lots of exposure on that station.

It would help SLU to get its games on Fox Sports Midwest. Many of these CSTV Syndicated games are appearing on TV stations for the opponents on similar stations, like today's game on MASN for GW.

I'm a native of Quincy, IL. There are Billiken fans there, like my Mom, who hardly ever get to see SLU play on TV. If SLU games were on Fox Sports Midwest, I think the most people would get to see the games.

Don't want to jump you for a simple two line post, but cannot be saying that all TV appearances are equal.

For a St. Louisan with Charter cable, your are correct in that I was able to watch the Bills the past several years. 16 times or so with Frank C., Wiley and Highmark was decent for me - a local fan. The quality of the broadcasts, though, were terrible - highschool level quality. While not expecting CBS and ESPN in HD for each of the 16 games, at least there were 16 games.

Where I take issue with you, though, is that recruiting is definitely affected. Improving the quantity and quality of the broadcasts does more than improve the quality of life for middle age fans like me. Would it not assist in recruiting if Brad could tell all potential recruits our 16 broadcasts were all on Fox Sports Midwest, ESPN, ESPN2 and/or CBS (viewers can watch with either a dish or cable) instead of Charter's local access station airing just prior to Chalk Talk?

Also, what is the reach of Charter's channel 3? Could be wrong but doubt that it extends throughout Missouri (Jeff City, Springfield, Columbia, Cape G. and Kansas City). Had we had a better TV package over the past few years, recruiting could have been better. But for our TV package, would we have signed Tyler Hansbrough? Of course not. Then again, maybe we would have had a better chance with his brother Ben and/or other guys like Ben throughout the the state.

I really don't know the ins and outs of getting your school a network. Never took the time to understand what the A-10 deal is with CSTV. Can someone answer the following.

1.) Is CSTV Charter? We have CSS (Cable Sports South) here via Comcast. For a couple of years they broadcast our games w/ Charlotte. But I've never seen a channel for CSTV.

2.) How did we make it on ESPN U and ESPN 2 this year? An A-10 deal?

3.) The TX A&M game was viewable here on direct TV, which I don't have but a friend does, but it was listed as a Fox MW sports broadcast...is that because of a deal the Big 12 has with FSMW? Of course, the game got preempted for beach volleyball with never an ezplanation why. But the way we played, I'm kind of glad we didn't get it.

4.) Can Cheryly go out and negotiate a separate deal for SLU hoops, ie independent from A-10 package? If so, why not. Hell, we draw 8,000+ fans for most games. And if it's a biggie we get +10k. This ought to say something about fan interest.

I think TV affects recruiting in a big way. Especially, for attracting non locals. Now, we'll never compete with ACC or Big 10 packages, but I'd sure like to see us more often. In fact, next year I'm putting my foot down with the wife that we're going from Comcast to Direct TV. For those who have Direct, please give me an estimate of how many SLU games I might get in a season.

What really gets me is when the Blues and the NHL were on strike the Bills would be playing and The World Poker tour was on.

WE need to get back on Fox-Midwest,just like when Romar was here.

This year having Directtv has been pretty good,the games are on all over the place,but that`s one thing good about being in the A-10.

SLU72. In response to your questions:

1.) Is CSTV Charter? We have CSS (Cable Sports South) here via Comcast. For a couple of years they broadcast our games w/ Charlotte. But I've never seen a channel for CSTV.

No. Charter Cable, a national cable company, is the largest cable supplier here in St. Louis. CSTV is rather new broadcast channel. Go to it's website to get more info. In short, the A 10 signed a deal to have their games broadcast by CSTV for 5 years. This is our first year under the plan. The problem is that CSTV is can be viewed on dish but since each dish provider must pay for this channel, each dish provider must decide how to charge and pass this cost on to its customers. Charter has chosen not to pay for this channel and therefore no Charter customer can get CSTV.

2.) How did we make it on ESPN U and ESPN 2 this year? An A-10 deal?

Believe but are not certain that ESPN agreed to air this game and then decided (as they apparently were allowed under their contract) to satisfy this agreement by broadcasting the game on a lesser one of their channels (ESPN2 to ESPNU). St. Joesph's and the Philly TV market had more to do with us being on ESPN2 a few days ago than anything.

3.) The TX A&M game was viewable here on direct TV, which I don't have but a friend does, but it was listed as a Fox MW sports broadcast...is that because of a deal the Big 12 has with FSMW? Of course, the game got preempted for beach volleyball with never an ezplanation why. But the way we played, I'm kind of glad we didn't get it.

Yes. The TX A&M game was on FOX Sports MW because of the Big 12. A mistake was made and the first few minutes were not shown in favor of beach volleyball but then the rest of the game was aired.

4.) Can Cheryly go out and negotiate a separate deal for SLU hoops, ie independent from A-10 package? If so, why not. Hell, we draw 8,000+ fans for most games. And if it's a biggie we get +10k. This ought to say something about fa CLn interest.

Yes and no. SLU is part of the A10 and must follow A10 rules. SLU cannot go directly against the A10. At the same time, the A10, SLU and others were lead to believe that CSTV would have had more serious negotiations and efforts regarding Charter. Hence, SLU's attorneys are working to find an exception or loop-hole to get out of some of the CSTV contract to cut its own rights presumably along with CSTV.

In short, recruiting and respect (being on par with Mizzou, Illinois, etc.) depend upon a good TV package that most people can watch as cheap as possible. Limiting games to only those with cable and now only those with a dish -- and willing to pay some of the higher/more expensive tiers -- is not a favorable package. Recognizing that free TV (NBC, ABC, CBS, etc.) is not a reality, pay TV (FOX MD, ESPN etc) is fine; however, if I must dump my cable for a dish and then pay extra for this channel, then no thanks. That, the current system this year, is TV program for a very limited market.

Damn, I didn't realize it was on 11. I saw someone post the other day it was on Direct TV, but I have Charter. When your TV coverage is so sporadic it makes it more likely that fans will miss a game on TV.

Clock if you are refering to my last post - I never said anyting about recruiting in it. I would not disagree that a TV package does have impact on recruiting. How much is hard to say since schools have so many different TV packages - clearly the more you are on nationally the better. An earlier post I made simply stated that our current lack of recruiting has nothing to do with the current bad CSTV package we are stuck with. I understand that Charter is not what everybody has in St. Louis or the region for that matter. But if FoxMidwest shows the game then you have to have either Charter or a dish so it still will exclude some from watching. An interesting stat someone quoted to me the other day was that St. Louis has one of the lowest cable and dish subscribership in the nation - something like a little over 50%. I did not check the stat but the person who told me said they had read it in an article about competetion between cable and phone companies. If the stat is correct then the only way to reach lots of people in our area would be free TV. My ealrier point about getting over it was simply that we have complained to the nth degree on this board about the TV situation this year but nothing can be done about it at this time so move on.

Cheryl mentioned that "this would not happened again next year" I wondered at the time is there a plan in place. If they were able to get wb 11 to carry some games, will that be the route they go?? The time of the game is the issue on weeknights, so perhaps they will not have saturday night game like Lasalle etc..... The key though is winning. If this team has a superb finish to their season, then Cheryl will have more to negotiate with. A-10 folks will see the need to have SLU games on ESPN more often etc....

we have nothing to do with it. it is all in linda bruno's hands. i suggest you write bruno and tell her about it. i have. the more she hears the more she realizes she has a problem.