Negativity Thread

I have no idea who Clock is, but the constant narrative that the private schools offer scholarships to poor kids just for sports is so incredibly off base. I get so sick of hearing this. The majority of kids who come from economically challenged areas (primarily the city schools) are not big time athletes, many of them (probably a majority) don't even end up playing on a varsity team. Whether it's CBC, SLUH, Vianney, MICDS, De Smet, Chaminade, etc., there is a constant effort at our reach to help these kids. If some of them turn out to be great athletes, that is fantastic, but the important thing is that they are receiving a very good opportunity to better themselves.

The high schools definitely look for kids who are well-rounded and begin an athlete may be part of that, but so is being involved in other activities. It just so happens that at the grade school level sports are the most obvious activity that is easily identifiable.

Alumni.

Private schools have always been accused of this. To their defense, they have no boundaries are must recruit all students just to open their doors. Athletic ability has always been a factor but by no means has been the only factor. This is nothing new and has been going on for years and years. What is new and different, however, is the extent and the number of full ride scholarships given out in recent years by certain schools -- CBC leading the pack. If you don't believe me, talk to those more familiar with what is going with high schools nowadays or send me a PM.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alumni.

Private schools have always been accused of this. To their defense, they have no boundaries are must recruit all students just to open their doors. Athletic ability has always been a factor but by no means has been the only factor. This is nothing new and has been going on for years and years. What is new and different, however, is the extent and the number of full ride scholarships given out in recent years by certain schools -- CBC leading the pack. If you don't believe me, talk to those more familiar with what is going with high schools nowadays or send me a PM.

CBC needs to focus less on sports and more on attracting students who are willing to pay full tuition. As a private high school, who cares if you have a good football team?

Reynolds, Roby, Bartley, Yarbrough, Jolly, Gillmann, Crawford, Agbeko, Lancona, Ash, and McBroom will transfer. Neufeld will demand a release from his LOI.

Next year's starting five will be Aaron Hines, Stephen Leazer, Royce Simpson, Elliot Welmer, and Sadie Stipanovich.

Not much of a drop off from this year's starting lineup.

For those on Instagram, check out Roby's latest post and tell me that doesn't mean the majority of the frosh class is transferring. May just be my paranoia

What was the gist of the post?

What was the gist of the post?

Paraphrasing here, it was a quote along the lines of "I know what i bring to the table and I can bring it by myself" with the caption Loner Homie. Again, I don't know the exact words but it didn't sound positive. Could be nothing, but it's interesting to see that he deleted it soon afterwards

Someone mentioned Grawer's last season as the closest in futility to this current season. What year would that have been?

I think we can agree this team is way worse than 2010-2011. That team finished by winning 4 of its last 6. Final RPI was 174. The overall picture wasn't pretty, but there was plenty to be hopeful about. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/year/2011/groupId/3/teamId/139

2004-2005, my senior year, was a rough one. Final record of 9-21, but that team had an astounding record of 1-12 in close games (defined as losses of 6 points or less, or games that went into OT). The season got off to a horrible start with a flop in the Virgin Islands tournament, losing games to Troy and EMU. I still think things may have swung differently if that hadn't happened. The senior class - Frericks, Bryant, Ohanon - also battled injuries all season. Had they won half of those close games, they're basically at .500. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/139/year/2005/saint-louis-billikens - Pomeroy rating that year was 150 (currently 284).

Basically, this team is historically bad by SLU's standards. Those teams still played decent schedules and had a lot of hard fought games and close losses. This one is playing dreadfully and frequently getting blown out by teams despite having one of the weakest schedules in SLU history.

I'm at a loss as to why anyone has confidence in Crews, or what there is to be hopeful about in the foreseeable future.

SRS on Sports-Reference has this team at -4.62. That's the worst number for SLU since '83-'84, Grawer's second season (-5.07).

'04-'05, thanks to the close losses that year, was above average at 0.67. Grawer's last year was -3.26.

What's it gonna be after we win the A10 tournament?

Someone mentioned Grawer's last season as the closest in futility to this current season. What year would that have been?

I think we can agree this team is way worse than 2010-2011. That team finished by winning 4 of its last 6. Final RPI was 174. The overall picture wasn't pretty, but there was plenty to be hopeful about. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/year/2011/groupId/3/teamId/139

2004-2005, my senior year, was a rough one. Final record of 9-21, but that team had an astounding record of 1-12 in close games (defined as losses of 6 points or less, or games that went into OT). The season got off to a horrible start with a flop in the Virgin Islands tournament, losing games to Troy and EMU. I still think things may have swung differently if that hadn't happened. The senior class - Frericks, Bryant, Ohanon - also battled injuries all season. Had they won half of those close games, they're basically at .500. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/139/year/2005/saint-louis-billikens - Pomeroy rating that year was 150 (currently 284).

Basically, this team is historically bad by SLU's standards. Those teams still played decent schedules and had a lot of hard fought games and close losses. This one is playing dreadfully and frequently getting blown out by teams despite having one of the weakest schedules in SLU history.

I'm at a loss as to why anyone has confidence in Crews, or what there is to be hopeful about in the foreseeable future.

It was the 91-92 squad that went 5-23. I think that team was actually better. They played a much tougher schedule. Probably have to go back over 30 years to the beginning of the Grawer era for a team as bad or worse than the current.

Bad seasons since the Ekker era:

1982-1983: 5-23 (Grawer's first season) - Followed by a bunch of mediocrity. Statistically, this team actually had a solid starting lineup- four guys in double figures. But no depth.

1991-1992: 5-23 (Grawer's last season) - 0-10 in the GMC, too. Oof. Highmark and Claggett were freshmen. Dillard was the leading scorer.

1992-1993: 12-17 (Spoon's first season) - 1-9 in the GMC. Claggett, Dobbs, Highmark........everyone else.

1996-1997: 11-18 - This was the year before Hughes. SLU averaged 57.8 PPG, somehow less than the 60.6 PPG this season. Jeff Harris had the only double-digit scoring average. The roster looks like 100% role players.

2004-2005: 9-21 - My senior year. The seniors (Frericks, Ohanon, Bryant) were hurt a bunch. The team went 1-12 in close games against a good schedule. Never recovered from some bad early losses. I saw up close how little things can snowball into this kind of season.

2010-2011: 12-19 - A lot of promising freshmen carried the way while Mitchell sat and Reed left. The jump this team made in one season (26-8) is truly remarkable, given how little roster change there was.

Bad seasons since the Ekker era:

1982-1983: 5-23 (Grawer's first season) - Followed by a bunch of mediocrity. Statistically, this team actually had a solid starting lineup- four guys in double figures. But no depth.

1991-1992: 5-23 (Grawer's last season) - 0-10 in the GMC, too. Oof. Highmark and Claggett were freshmen. Dillard was the leading scorer.

1992-1993: 12-17 (Spoon's first season) - 1-9 in the GMC. Claggett, Dobbs, Highmark........everyone else.

1996-1997: 11-18 - This was the year before Hughes. SLU averaged 57.8 PPG, somehow less than the 60.6 PPG this season. Jeff Harris had the only double-digit scoring average. The roster looks like 100% role players.

2004-2005: 9-21 - My senior year. The seniors (Frericks, Ohanon, Bryant) were hurt a bunch. The team went 1-12 in close games against a good schedule. Never recovered from some bad early losses. I saw up close how little things can snowball into this kind of season.

2010-2011: 12-19 - A lot of promising freshmen carried the way while Mitchell sat and Reed left. The jump this team made in one season (26-8) is truly remarkable, given how little roster change there was.

This was my senior year. That team was vastly underrated in its suckitude. They lost to UMKC and Maine at home. Just an incredibly sh-tty death march of a season.

Before the 04-05 season I remember thinking that team was a lock to go to the tournament. They returned most of the guys from the previous year and I thought Dwayne Polk would be really good. Oops.

I thought the same thing before 06-07...not a 'lock' but a decent shot. Ian as a Senior, Lisch and Liddell as Sophomores, Meyer, Polk, Brown, and Justin Johnson as role players. We don't screw up the first 2 conference games of that season and we very well may have been dancing that year.

This was my senior year. That team was vastly underrated in its suckitude. They lost to UMKC and Maine at home. Just an incredibly sh-tty death march of a season.

They managed to lose by 21 to UMKC at home but beat Louisville (an eventual Elite 8 team) on their court.