Bills over N. Fla by 3

The Wiz

We always sag off the three point shooters on the weak side to provide help in the middle. When our opponents rotate the ball cross court to the open man they often have an open 3. I wonder if the staff is willing to adjust that approach to better to defend against the open 3?

This is a pet peeve of mine. I don't have a shot chart but it seems to me we give up more corner three's then anyone. I do wish we would adjust. .

This is a pet peeve of mine. I don't have a shot chart but it seems to me we give up more corner three's then anyone. I do wish we would adjust. .

One problem is that our guards can't stop dribble penetration and then we don't have big men that can consistently contest shots at the rim. So our other guards overhelp and then our defensive rotations are too slow to recover on the open shooter.

One problem is that our guards can't stop dribble penetration and then we don't have big men that can consistently contest shots at the rim. So our other guards overhelp and then our defensive rotations are too slow to recover on the open shooter.

Agreed. But you have to pick your poison. I think many times we are picking the wrong one. Open corner three's are not hard.

Which of the 3 second half three pointers St. Frank made are you referring too? After Crews made the half time adjustment (which slu13 obviously missed), the open looks all but disappeared. I say let them throw up contested 3 pointers all day if they want.

Which of the 3 second half three pointers St. Frank made are you referring too? After Crews made the half time adjustment (which slu13 obviously missed), the open looks all but disappeared. I say let them throw up contested 3 pointers all day if they want.

Us giving up open 3s in not some new development that just started in the St. Francis game. It's been a problem for over a year now.

You did not say it in words but you implied it in posts that appears to concede the win to N. Florida. Just to set the record straight, the following is the current stat comparison between NFLA and SLU from team rankings. We are currently ranked by them at 129, NFLA at 115 and as we have discussed in this board before, the higher the numerical ranking the greater the margin of error in the rankings. I think we are pretty even, at least as far as the stats and rankings go.

Offensive Stat Comparison Stat NFLA / STL Points/Game 86.7 / 77.0 Avg Score Margin +2.0 / +14.3 Assists/Game 17.3 / 15.0 Total Rebounds/Gm 31.0 / 36.0 Effective FG % 60.3% / 52.6% Off Rebound % 17.0% / 19.5% FTA/FGA 0.216 / 0.660 Turnover % 11.3% / 14.4%
Defensive Stat Comparison Stat NFLA / STL Opp Points/Game 84.7 / 62.7 Opp Effective FG % 51.7% / 43.8% Off Rebounds/Gm 5.7 / 5.7 Def Rebounds/Gm 24.0 / 27.0 Blocks/Game 5.3 / 4.3 Steals/Game 4.0 / 5.3 Personal Fouls/Gm 18.3 / 22.0

Clock.

Your post answers itself. "we need to trust our head coach who knows what he is doing and who sees the kids each day at practice." He obviously thinks the bigs need to play.

Yes.

Actually, I left names out of my prior posts on purpose as I have had thoughts about Crews' apparent game plans this year versus in the past. 2 years ago, I believe JC really wanted to play MC, TL and RA but between injuries and their being so young/not good enough, he simply did not. Instead, he kept the bench short and played to win for the short term. Last year, it appeared the opposite in that JC quickly realized that short term wins will not happen and that playing for the long term is better. The ironic part is that MR played possibly the least and yet has made possibly the greatest improvement. Otherwise, we probably could have won an extra game or two or at least looked better in our losses if we shortened the bench more and/or went with a smaller lineup. Again, while I like the future of AG and BJ, last year was brutal.

This year, I am pleased that JC continues to make adjustments this year: bad apples gone, new offense being installed, zone defense added, traditional inbound plays returned, guys lined up on the FT line, reduced number of players getting minutes for now --- and a decision to sometimes go small. Long term, I want our bigs to play and to succeed. Real success will not happen without contributions by our bigs, but at the same time, if we can win some games in the short run by going small now, let's do it.

This year, I am pleased that JC continues to make adjustments this year: bad apples gone, new offense being installed, zone defense added, traditional inbound plays returned, guys lined up on the FT line, reduced number of players getting minutes for now --- and a decision to sometimes go small. Long term, I want our bigs to play and to succeed. Real success will not happen without contributions by our bigs, but at the same time, if we can win some games in the short run by going small now, let's do it.

Really?

And now for the real season.

Last night's game had no effect on the Bills numbers ...they did what they they were supposed to do and remain at B-.. From this point on we will have to step it up a notch..

UNF is also a B- team....the Bills are equal UNF. This will be a hard concept for some to swallow but that is what the numbers show.

This game will be about the Bills defense against one of the best shooting teams in the nation. UNF slashline is a staggering 49/48/79.. They are 2nd in the nation in 3pt shooting. They can flat out shoot. But they can be shut down. At halftime yesterday Lville made some defensive adjustments and held a team averaging nearly 45 pts/ half to 20. Yes, I know we are not Lville but we also don't have to win by 28 points.

Here is what we need to do to win......

Play D....If we leave them open for 3s the game will be a blow out... for UNF. Defend the 3 ...no open shots. Their gunners are Moore and Beech...hold them to under 20 and 15 respectively. This won't be easy. Beech hit a half court shot against Lville yesterday. Again, do not leave them open.

Also if you bother them on defense they turn the ball over.

Make the short stuff. Layups and 1 footers...the Bills have to sink those....FTs will also be important....Here is the slashline we need to win 50/ 30/ 70. On D we need to hold them to under 40% in FG and 3pt...it won't be easy

Bottomline ,,We should win this game. If we do win, I would not consider this an upset. If we leave them open or they get hot, the game will be a runaway for the Ospreys.

Did I mention we need to play D

Did I mention play D? I guess I must have because they did...I wanted the Bills to hold them to 40% FG & 40% 3's...actual was 36% and 25%...nice job especially on the 3s....also we needed to hold Moore & Beech to 20 & 15pts respectively....actual 16 & 11pts ...again nice job, and how about those 46 Reb...Not to mention 38% from the arc...not bad for a team struggling to reach 30% till now..

Hmm....they may just be a B- team after all. ...Need 3 more games to lock the grade in. It's like the Bills have a B- after mid terms

This was the first real test for the Bills and they passed it nicely.