Mason .... from a therapist's couch in MD ....

Taj79

.. Wow. Ouch. Boring. Weak. Pitiful. Freshmen. Inconsistency. Road. I don't know, pick one.

I always like to read the game day threads before I post, it helps me recall certain points in the game that I like to focus on but reading that before this was deja vu depressing. And the Post aricle header that states "no fire" is also right on.

I have to admit, in a way, I am not surprised. Six freshmen. One transfer. Weak senior class. Non-existent sophomore class (Crawford not counted). As I said in another thread, anyone can get up at home for a VCU. What happens on the road against a dog is more telling. And what a story told.

Apparently, unlike Terry Larrier, our freshmen have not "got it" yet. They are still freshmen with kudos to Roby and Yarbrough. Roby was our "future hope" star of the game. He looks quite promising and continues to get better. Yarbrough took almost a third of the entire teams shots and you can lean either way on that -- either he is to be praised for trying or chastized because some of the ones he took were of the "ill advised" nature. But he is still one of our positives. Mike Crawford had a very nice game but he seemed to be sometimes the only one with a clue out there. Add in Crawford's 10 shots taken to Yarbough 15 and between them, they took over half the teams total shots for the night. Who foresaw that back in October? Those are my three "ups." Oh and Jolly can shoot free throws.

And the "downs" certainly dominate. I think the stats have to be wrong, no way did we finish with 25 rebounds to their 32, and 10 offensive to their 12. It sure seemed like we were getting hammered all night long. Just as Shevon Thompson dominated, Jalen Jenkins, who I thought would, disappeared. But we let two relatively weak guards each score in double figures as well. At first, I was quite happy to hear Patrick Holloway was out with a medical issue. Thought that would help. Guess not. Did it seem like every one of their guys -- even that pipsqueak walk-on --- was more athletic than any of our guys? And Thompson showed that not every JUCO needs a year to acclimate to D1 ball. And it's only his fifth year of basketball, didn't play it in native Jamaica, had to learn it all when he got here. How come a recruit like, say, Reggie Agbeko, isn't the name used in that story? How come SLU never gets JUCOs like him? Just rambling here.

More ramblings: why does Bartley disappear from the floor for long stretches? Seems to be a very short leash with him and the game runs smoother thru him. But he still gets picked on and flustered too much and fouls seem to attract him to them. Reynolds was turrible -- out of control dribble to step on baseline. Three minutes palyign time was like 2:55 too much. Jolly still flops too much. First half, Mason guy on a one-on-two fast break and Jolly goes stiff in the lane. Looking for a charge. And the guy steps past him, between the other Billiken and makes a layup. Hate the "tree" defense. Yacoubou is pressing. Bartley is pressing. Yarbrough started pressing. Lancona is stiff as ice (if he gets in). The all-american Reggie Agbeko we saw against VCU disappeared tonight. At least no turnovers but the defensive style and game of Mason is not VCU. Told you that would likely happen. Manning was two-for-two but is just overwhelmed on the traditional big skill sets. He has none. The announcers kept saying that only Manning offered any real defense of Thompson but if it was that, it was limited. One lineup was Bartley, Reynolds, Roby, Crawford and Agbeko. YIKES! If McBroom is the point guard .. i.e. the press breaker .. his offense is non-existent and the rest of the team stagnates as well.

My fears of this game were realized ---- for whatever reason they showed up with no fire and they went on the road to an inferior opponent and got hammered. The final score is not indicative of the fact we were pretty much done when Crawford scored on a layup at 4:21 of the first half. Yes, we cut it to two early in the second half but that was more wing-and-a-prayer stuff -- the game was starting to spin out of control and you could see it. Those are telltale signs of youth. This team -- unlike Larrier at VCU -- has a lot to figure out yet.

The A10 color guy was the former Siena coach John Griffin, who is the trivia answer to "Who did Phil Martelli succeed as coach at St. Joseph's?" He quit coaching when dismissed from St. Joe's in 1994-95. How is he relevant enough to commentate today? Announcers were nice enough and complimentary -- sons of Majerus -- and did say this will be a good team in another year,year and a half. Buckle up, boys. Can't wait.

At least we can forget this come tomorrow and Umass. Umass did beat Dayton by two last night. An 11-3 run in the middle of the second half gave Umass ample breathing room but the final wasn't decided until Dayton's desperation buzzer beating attempt was blocked upon launch. Umass also went into Mason and won there by 4 so Saturday is going to be tough as well. I feel a win is as possible as a loss. We shall see.

Mike Crawford had a very nice game but he seemed to be sometimes the only one with a clue out there.

Seemed like more than sometimes to me.

I'm a big Crawford fan and I liked him gunning shots out there. He's a pretty consistent shooter and even his forced shots look like they could go in. But...I also don't think you're a very good team if he's your go-to guy and focal point. He's a solid to good player though.

I did like that we got him 2 or 3 looks off a screen for a 3 at the top of the key last night. brianstl has been calling for that all year.

Did you make the trek Taj? Or are you losing dedication in your old age? :P

Onto the game....

I absolutely hate Jolly's flops. CE had a knack for being in the right place and selling. No ref in the country is ever going to consistently call charges drawn by 6'11 centers. I wish coach would just teach him to put his hands straight up and make them make a tough shot.

That is exactly what Loe did and he was an outstanding defender. Freshmen centers not named Okafor can not be expected to do much in today's College game. They both have skills and I think they both have the work ethic to get stronger. They arent stiffs.

Crawford is an A+ glue guy in my opinion. He can hit an open jumper and provides stability in the line up. It would be cool to see Ash take a seat for a while. I am over him.

Reggie and Tanner about as good as gone.

Finally, I might need the billikens.com research department to find the championship game where Miles Reynold's earned game MVP honors with Okafor and Paul White on the floor...because I don't believe it really happened... I cannot believe how bad he looks. He has absolutely zero confidence and Crews is trying to do the best he can to let him gain some.

Well, the first half wasn't GM redux. But it only took about 2 minutes into the second half to look like Groundhog day. GM started getting their misses and converting them into point bulge. We suddenly go from the battling bastards of Bastogne to the F troop foulups of Fairfax.

Why, why, why does AY consistently think he can take it into the forest and pull off some Air Jordan or Jordair Jett type basket. This is not his first D1 rodeo, he must know someone is going to rotate down from someplace to provide help. MY tried this too many times as well, but he gets the FR hall pass, which will be revoked next year. Tip of the Day: If you are surrounded by 2 or 3 guys near the basket, there's a strong likelihood one or two of your teammates is standing wide open alone somewhere on the hardwood. Look for him, find him, pass it to him. Even if he's not a Stephan Currie, he's got a better shot than the miracle you're trying to pull off. Seeing way too much of this this season. Do they not practice kickouts? Are they not seeing help defense in practice?

It was a sloppy game. At the beginning I thought neither team might make it to 50 points, but then it got a little loosey goosey. I too share Taj Mahal 79's frustration that the only really athletic big we've landed recently has been Willie Appleby One and Done Reed. Manning's a stiff, who should have had some fire in his belly last night playing before his hometown fan club. Honestly, I really don't remember him playing at all. Jolly's easy to remember because of his flops. AG also seemed invisible. But this may be due to my salivating over the play of Thomson and wishing we had a big bodied athletic 5. Truly a man among boys out there. Hewitt ought to use him more, because he looks like he could average in the high 20s in the vertically challenged A10.

Oh, well, another learning experience. These aren't games anymore for me. They're stops in the great Billiken journey towards Sophomore greatness. And, yes, I'm sure the transfer wire is heating up for some of our guys. I certainly hope our staff is looking at JUCO's and some late blooming Seniors. A transfer can't help next year, but if that kid from Duke wants to come to SLU for 16-17, welcome aboard, son. I don't know what he did to tick off Coach K, but am sure we can get him on the straight and narrow again.

@ Nick --- I did not make trek, work issue here in Aberdeen put me in a public meeting until almost 10:00 pm. But the DVR was keyed and I watched it when I got home in our latest round of snow. I had tickets to GW but bugged out there because of work, forecast, and the fear that a 20 point game was again in the offing. And it turned out it was our best road game of the year. That's my luck. I had bomble use/dispense the ticket to some deserving soul if around. I am in for Fordham next Saturday. Have a hotel in Manhattan, wifey is keyed up for shopping and a show, getting a visit to Rose Hill off my bucket list, seeing an old college classmate. Had plans and tickets to get to Dayton in erarly January but had to trade those in for a week-long trip to Ames with baby girl. I'd be in Philly for sure but we have no games there this year. Next year. Highly doubt Brooklyn is in the cards this year and I'm pretty sure I won't be needing any trips to the Dance just yet. It's been a long year but one I expected. I hav ereall yenjoyed watchign these kids -- even with the frustrationthat is bound to come --- and find every game a new adventure. Trading it in for the nervous, high anxiety expectations of the past two years. Recharging the batteries for what I think will come down the road. Can't wait (in case you haven't got the subtle catch phrase this year).

@larry72: I wouldn't touch Suliamon with a ten-foot pole. Guy has been in enough trouble and all seems attitude at Duke. I'd rather risk a scholly on a kid liek Yarbrough an dRoby an deven Jolly an dsee if we can develop the sustainability over four years and notth einstant gratification of one-and-dones. This attitude will likely get me in trouble come FBJT and his stay on the roster.

@karate: No, we do not have three starters. I share Nick's enthusiasm for Crawford but he is more role player than star player. A glue guy as Nick says. Definitely needed, can be there at crunch time, but not all the time.

@ old guy ---- not quite getting the Jett reference. Jordair was a guard, Yarbrough is playing an undersized four as Evans did. I can see a situation where both Roby and Bartley evolve intoJordair given they are guards. Malik is different -- more comparable, i think, to Evans and Jeff Harris.

Roby more so than MB. He's got the bod, MB needs to add some real weight. JJ was a bulldog. I honestly think inside bigs got that deer in the headlight look when he drove to the hoop thinking, uh uh I'll either get hurt or pick up a foul. What MY needs to learn is the same thing DE learned, if it ain't there it ain't there look for an open man. And in DE's JR year he had a nice little mid range jumper working that was killer. I think MY's already ahead of DE there, he just doesn't do it enough. MY's seems even more athletic than DE, he's got huge upside for us once he learns the game. No, we have 4 starters right now, and MC's not one of them. Don't forget AY and AG. Give AG a year on the weights. Kid's got some skills. AY just has to tone it down and remember he's not on some Long Island street court trying to dazzle the crowd. Speaking of which, I thought a big part of his game was the 3 shot. Where's that been hiding? Time to bring it out of the closet. I'd rather see him clank a 3 than bang a layup off the side of the backboard, plus if he's really got a legit 3 it'll make those drives to the hoop a little less harrowing for him and us.