Pre & Post Game Festivities

Iggy

I've been hitting Triumph. They've got nice happy hour prices on week nights. I've tried Buffalo Brewing Co. a couple times as well. I prefer Triumph. I suppose Vito's is another option. Humphrey's is kind of far, but do they offer a shuttle? There's not really a nice 'dive' like Kelley O'Toole's used to be near the old Savvis. I'll have to check out the new pizza joint as well.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a regular at Pappy's on weekday nights; unfortunately, they close at 4 p.m. on weekends.

We diverted to The U. a couple weekends ago when we found Pappy's closed. Unfortunately, they don't have the logistics for crowds. We ordered at 6:10 and didn't get our sandwiches until 6:50. (We discovered that it is possible to smuggle sandwiches into Chaifetz if your hoodies are loose enough.) The sandwiches were great, by the way -- they just don't have mass production down yet.

I also hope to hit The Fountain on Locust before or after one of these days.

I got to St. Louis early last night and had some time to kill. I decided to go to Vito's. It was my first visit. I arrived right around 5 PM and the place was empty. There were about 3 people seated. The Hostess said I would have to sit at the bar, because the number of reservations they had comng in. Then, by some miracle, they found a table for one. I ordered a Sicilian Peperoni Pizza, you know the one that's thick and takes longer to bake. I enjoyed the bread while I waited. The pizza came about a half hour later, which was my expected wait. I was disaapointed in the pizza. I liked the crust, but the sauce was a bit robust for my liking and there was just a sprinkle of cheese. I will probably try Vito's again, just not the pizza. Next time I have some time to kill, I will try the new pizza place down the road. And I paid my bill about 6 PM and only about 5 more customers had walked in during my hour visit. I guess they weren't as busy as they thought they would be.

I got to St. Louis early last night and had some time to kill. I decided to go to Vito's. It was my first visit. I arrived right around 5 PM and the place was empty. There were about 3 people seated. The Hostess said I would have to sit at the bar, because the number of reservations they had comng in. Then, by some miracle, they found a table for one. I ordered a Sicilian Peperoni Pizza, you know the one that's thick and takes longer to bake. I enjoyed the bread while I waited. The pizza came about a half hour later, which was my expected wait. I was disaapointed in the pizza. I liked the crust, but the sauce was a bit robust for my liking and there was just a sprinkle of cheese. I will probably try Vito's again, just not the pizza. Next time I have some time to kill, I will try the new pizza place down the road. And I paid my bill about 6 PM and only about 5 more customers had walked in during my hour visit. I guess they weren't as busy as they thought they would be.

That's funny, usually at Vito's it's ... I love the Pizza, hate the service

We've been to the "Triumph" for a couple of "pre-game" meals and like the place... great atmosphere, good crowd (seated without reservation by getting there about 5:00), good food (maybe a little pricey), great service. We'll likely go back again.

Anyone have any comments about "Buffalo Brewing Co." or "Pappy's BBQ" that are both just down the street from "Triumph"?

We've been to the "Triumph" for a couple of "pre-game" meals and like the place... great atmosphere, good crowd (seated without reservation by getting there about 5:00), good food (maybe a little pricey), great service. We'll likely go back again.

Anyone have any comments about "Buffalo Brewing Co." or "Pappy's BBQ" that are both just down the street from "Triumph"?

The beer is pretty good at Buffalo Brewing, and it is nice to support a home-town brewery. It is not a very big place, however, so pre-game crowds for them can be overwhelming. Pappy's has pretty good food at a reasonable price. Both places are good choices before the game, but both are small so can be overwhelmed by large crowds.

Vito's does get crowded by people who are attending the Fox or symphony. The food is ok. Beer on tap is a little pricey. It is a little snooty to those who just want a beer and appetizer.

Triumph is okay but a little too smokey for me. Unfortunately many of the dining tables are in close proximityto the bar. Can we please not be the fiftith state in the country to outlaw indoor smoking!

Triumph is okay but a little too smokey for me. Unfortunately many of the dining tables are in close proximityto the bar. Can we please not be the fiftith state in the country to outlaw indoor smoking!

I say three cheers to that!

I've been a regular at Pappy's on weekday nights; unfortunately, they close at 4 p.m. on weekends.

We diverted to The U. a couple weekends ago when we found Pappy's closed. Unfortunately, they don't have the logistics for crowds. We ordered at 6:10 and didn't get our sandwiches until 6:50. (We discovered that it is possible to smuggle sandwiches into Chaifetz if your hoodies are loose enough.) The sandwiches were great, by the way -- they just don't have mass production down yet.

I also hope to hit The Fountain on Locust before or after one of these days.

We have gone to the Fountain on Locust twice before games and just loved the place. Fast service, good food, varied menu. Usually a special off the menu. Really reccomend it highly.

mhg

The beer is pretty good at Buffalo Brewing, and it is nice to support a home-town brewery. It is not a very big place, however, so pre-game crowds for them can be overwhelming. Pappy's has pretty good food at a reasonable price. Both places are good choices before the game, but both are small so can be overwhelmed by large crowds.

Vito's does get crowded by people who are attending the Fox or symphony. The food is ok. Beer on tap is a little pricey. It is a little snooty to those who just want a beer and appetizer.

Vito's is an excellent restaurant. The only time I've gotten the pizza was at the lunch buffett...which was a great deal and tasty. The entrees are great at Vito's and thats what I recommend. As a pregame spot, I haven't been but I doubt its that good of an atmosphere.

Seriously, St. Louis needs to outlaw smoking. Its absolutely rediculous. But like with everything else, St. Louis is about 4 years behind the rest of the country.

Vito's is an excellent restaurant. The only time I've gotten the pizza was at the lunch buffett...which was a great deal and tasty. The entrees are great at Vito's and thats what I recommend. As a pregame spot, I haven't been but I doubt its that good of an atmosphere.

Seriously, St. Louis needs to outlaw smoking. Its absolutely rediculous. But like with everything else, St. Louis is about 4 years behind the rest of the country.

Why don't be outlaw boozing up at bars as well, while we are at it.

Or you could choose to go to places that don't allow smoking and let people who don't care go to the other places. There are several around the SLU campus that don't allow smoking.

Please give us a try at The Good Pie, even closer to the arena than those listed. Wood fired pizza and good local beer, also NON smoking. Coach has become a big fan and has been back for pizza 3-4 times since we opened last Thursday.

Here is a link to the web-site with the menu, a little about us and some good pictures of the place and some pies.

We are trying very hard to be a neighborhood establishment and obviously we believe very much in the direction "mid-town alley" is headed.

We have been busy considering we opened the day many students left but I would love to see some more of the hordes of folks headed to the area pre and post game stop in and try something new.

The good pie offers table service, a selection of southern Italian wines and four local draft beers dived by schalfly (esb & kolsch) and o'fallon (5day and smoked) and full bar (within the the week)

Sorry to be so shameless in my plug, but this is my first restaurant venture and we don't have an immense advertising budget to start.

We will have pre and post game slu deals and since my beloved muskies don't come to town this year...maybe a free beer to all slu fans wearing colors beofre the udump flyers game

I'm XU through and through but love being a part of the SLU community in midtown. The fans we have had come though have been great and I was taken a back at how personable Coach M, such a major name is cbb hoops, has been, even had a brief chance to talk hoops with him!

I understand many of you have some traditions inplace for pre and post game, we just ask that you give us a shot to win you over.

Thanks

go bills

michael randolph

www.thegoodpie.com

3137 Olive Street

314-973-0446

Great location! You should do really well for lunches during the week and before/after events.

Thanks for taking a chance by opening your restaurant next to the University. Although some/many people like Vito's pizza, you might just take a slice of their pizza business based solely on what I see on your menu.

Great location! You should do really well for lunches during the week and before/after events.

Thanks for taking a chance by opening your restaurant next to the University. Although some/many people like Vito's pizza, you might just take a slice of their pizza business based solely on what I see on your menu.

Instead, let's hope the SLU community and the surrounding area can support both...and more!

Why should we let the government tell us what we can and can't do? There are places like the Royal that are non-smoking by choice. People who don't like smoke should flock to these places. Then tell places you won't be back till they are smoke free. Let the market decide where you can or can't smoke, not the government. The way i see it we are ahead of the country on this one. Just one more freedom lost.

You mean like with laws and stuff?

yes, less laws. Yes we need to stop things like murder, but why drugs, smoking, gambling, prostitution? Regulate and tax. Why shouldn't I be able to smoke a bunch of meth and play strip poker with some hookers. If I really wanted to, I probably could. So, lets tax it. Why should the pimp and the dealer be the only ones making a buck?