Butler Observations from the couch in Maryland

Taj79

Something strange going into last night's game.... I was especially calm. I knew we had the better team, deeper bench, more talent and all that jazz but we were away, on national TV, up for revenge, sold out hostile place, so I was more like "let's see where this goes ...."

First half,can't buy a basket, can't cover slow freshman Dunham, Butler bench is actually playing, still Barlow, Stigall, Woods and Fromm are essentially worthless and only give breather minutes and fouls. Seems a pass to be only down by five at half. Not over by along shot. You can see Stevens mouthing "flop" after Cody draws his lone charge.

Second half .... in a blink of an eye, down five is now up nine. How the hell did that happen? Mike McCall welcome back. It becomes painfully obvious their guards can't cover our guards but neither Dwayne nor Jordair can stay with Jones who has all the mobility of a tank. Khyle Marshall disappears unless Grandy is covering him. Jones gets four straight charges but they call blocking fouls on us. Think Stevens got to them? Those were not flops. But Loe can't flop at 6'11" when a 6' guard drives down the lane. Ain't gonna happen. Dunham decides he did enough in the first half and goes home. Smith turns out to be the stiff I thought he was. Cody doesn't score and we shoot horribly from the line to close out. Refs on our side? Please .....Rosie's four charges, Rosie rakes Dwayne's arm, Smith over the back onLoe, Dunham over the back on Mitchell, Mitchell gets to 50/50 ball first but foul called on him and not Woods, Fromm mugs Jett but Jett gets the foul on retaliation .... don'tknow what game they were watching but Butler was handed that one on a silver, homecooking platter.

I hope they hate our physicality. I hope they hate blue hair. Hate dreadlocks and "Shaft" movies. Despise the down under. The Butler Way reminds me very much of the Xavier Way ..which is to be totally arrogant while winning. We dominated these punks in the old MCC and I hope they follow on either here in the A10 or over to the C7. Having busloads of fans at away games was nice and those guys were rocking.

We should win out. Wow ...a 14 and 2 league record? Have to watch out where the stumble will be and overcome it. St. Joe's is next and we beat this five-man team in Philly handily last year. No let downs though.

I say ranked at 17 or 18 this Monday. We win in many different ways.

Big thanks to all the SLU fans that went to the game. I could hear them all night. At one point, during the 2nd half, while watching the game on TV, the SLU fans were so loud, it seemed like the Billikens were the home team!

We SHOULD HAVE BEEN LOUDER! The competition was getting hot and there they were, about 6 rows of Billikens just sitting there.... No cheering, clapping-no noise at all! I don't get it? You drive or ride a bus all that way because you call yourself a loyal Bills fan just to sit and watch the game? Gut up off your *^# and cheer on your team and be an active Billikan Fan They need your support-especially at these away games!

We SHOULD HAVE BEEN LOUDER! The competition was getting hot and there they were, about 6 rows of Billikens just sitting there.... No cheering, clapping-no noise at all! I don't get it? You drive or ride a bus all that way because you call yourself a loyal Bills fan just to sit and watch the game? Gut up off your *^# and cheer on your team and be an active Billikan Fan! They need your support-especially at these away games!

EXACTLY.

Cheer along WITH the students, don't rely on them to make all the noise (and they were awesome, BTW).

I was lucky enough to have seats in the last row of our section, so I stood the whole time and (hopefully) did my part.

Big thanks to all the SLU fans that went to the game. I could hear them all night. At one point, during the 2nd half, while watching the game on TV, the SLU fans were so loud, it seemed like the Billikens were the home team!

Agreed. I was working and watching on my work computer, I internalized that cheers = bad. Except the second half, then our kids stepped it up. I remember going to the SLU / ND NIT game in 2004, I feel ashamed we weren't that loud.

Agreed. I was working and watching on my work computer, I internalized that cheers = bad. Except the second half, then our kids stepped it up. I remember going to the SLU / ND NIT game in 2004, I feel ashamed we weren't that loud.

Retroactively apologizing for that one, Jimmy. Someone got me drunk at Applebee's and two future priests had Nalgene bottles of Boone's Farm that we finished off as we crossed the Indiana line.

See also: Thomas, Chris.

Butler is a class program all the way and the model for what we strive for. I was there last night and the amount of donors and boosters in their Varsity Club is what SLU dreams of. They have big time freshmen is Dunham which they can build around (if he stays all 4 years) and a potential 5 star coming in. This was all because they capitalized on their window of opportunity after their success in the NCAAs. We HAVE to capitalize on these two magical seasons if we want to take the next step and become a Butler/Gonzaga type basketball program. Whether or not that is with Crews can be debated for hours. Great game, great times in Indy.

EXACTLY.

Cheer along WITH the students, don't rely on them to make all the noise (and they were awesome, BTW).

I was lucky enough to have seats in the last row of our section, so I stood the whole time and (hopefully) did my part.

Here's a video of the big 3 that McCall hit to to quiet the crowd last night. You can definitely hear us back there and that wasn't our loudest moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwMqZNSYpCA

Here's a video of the big 3 that McCall hit to to quiet the crowd last night. You can definitely hear us back there and that wasn't our loudest moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwMqZNSYpCA

YES. That is definitely what I remember hearing and thinking "this is the turning point." Butler's a great program and its fans aren't dipshits like USC's cheerleaders. Great job being loud. We're proud.

Butler is a class program all the way and the model for what we strive for. I was there last night and the amount of donors and boosters in their Varsity Club is what SLU dreams of. They have big time freshmen is Dunham which they can build around (if he stays all 4 years) and a potential 5 star coming in. This was all because they capitalized on their window of opportunity after their success in the NCAAs. We HAVE to capitalize on these two magical seasons if we want to take the next step and become a Butler/Gonzaga type basketball program. Whether or not that is with Crews can be debated for hours. Great game, great times in Indy.

I hear Nolan Berry looked dominating against CBC last night.

Agreed. Their supporters are intelligent basketball fans. Not quite the backwoods asshats of Xavier

I wish our student body took basketball as seriously as theirs does. One of my interns currently attends Butler. These kids are maniacs.

In time, hopefully, we'll grow the student body's appreciation for basketball.

We SHOULD HAVE BEEN LOUDER! The competition was getting hot and there they were, about 6 rows of Billikens just sitting there.... No cheering, clapping-no noise at all! I don't get it? You drive or ride a bus all that way because you call yourself a loyal Bills fan just to sit and watch the game? Gut up off your *^# and cheer on your team and be an active Billikan Fan They need your support-especially at these away games!

I watched on TV from home, but it sounds pretty much like the SIU trip that I went on from last season. Rode the bus, went to the pre-game reception thing, went to the game, and sat my designated seat at their arena. About 5 minutes into the game, my fellow band member, who is attending SIU-Methdale for law school, and I walked over to the complete other side of the SLU section, because they were actually into the game. The Cassity contingent had almost as strong of a showing, and was making more noise than the St. Louis contingent...and they were directly across from us in the arena. Yes, it was nice that you could hear the SLU faithful on TV after really big shots, but still not good enough. I've heard that the Bills had somewhere between 350 and 500 fans at the game Friday. I know that I'm preaching to the choir right now, but our cheering should have been heard over their "awwwww"ing every time they missed a shot. If you're willing to fork out the cash to go on the road to a game, why the fu©k wouldn't you stand up and yell? After a 5 hour road trip, I can't think of any reason why you would want to sit for two hours, knowing you have a 5 hour trip back coming soon. I know the team is in "game mode", but they still feel when the crowd is into it. I blame the loss to RI on the fact that the crowd wasn't supporting the team vocally until (very) late in the second half. Probably the same with Santa Clara. With proper crowd support, the home team goes on a run. We could be undefeated at home this year. Even with the opposing team scoring...the crowd can turn a player on. I'll use an example from my other team for example. Yes, I'm ready for the hate that I'll receive...but seriously, pay attention to how much louder the crowd gets. My question...how do we get 8000+ of the 10600 at the 'Fetz to change their ways?

http://youtu.be/9EGMtbucFD0

I'm sorry, but anybody that believes the SLU contingent on Friday was not loud is misinformed. Were there a few that didn't make noise all game, sure, but for the most part the SLU fans were loud and made an impact. What one hears on tv depends almost entirely on where the microphones are placed and I can assure you the broadcast did not do justice to how loud the SLU fans were.

I watched on TV from home, but it sounds pretty much like the SIU trip that I went on from last season. Rode the bus, went to the pre-game reception thing, went to the game, and sat my designated seat at their arena. About 5 minutes into the game, my fellow band member, who is attending SIU-Methdale for law school, and I walked over to the complete other side of the SLU section, because they were actually into the game. The Cassity contingent had almost as strong of a showing, and was making more noise than the St. Louis contingent...and they were directly across from us in the arena. Yes, it was nice that you could hear the SLU faithful on TV after really big shots, but still not good enough. I've heard that the Bills had somewhere between 350 and 500 fans at the game Friday. I know that I'm preaching to the choir right now, but our cheering should have been heard over their "awwwww"ing every time they missed a shot. If you're willing to fork out the cash to go on the road to a game, why the fu©k wouldn't you stand up and yell? After a 5 hour road trip, I can't think of any reason why you would want to sit for two hours, knowing you have a 5 hour trip back coming soon. I know the team is in "game mode", but they still feel when the crowd is into it. I blame the loss to RI on the fact that the crowd wasn't supporting the team vocally until (very) late in the second half. Probably the same with Santa Clara. With proper crowd support, the home team goes on a run. We could be undefeated at home this year. Even with the opposing team scoring...the crowd can turn a player on. I'll use an example from my other team for example. Yes, I'm ready for the hate that I'll receive...but seriously, pay attention to how much louder the crowd gets. My question...how do we get 8000+ of the 10600 at the 'Fetz to change their ways?

http://youtu.be/9EGMtbucFD0

you obviously don't know what you are talking about. I am not a youngster and my wife and I stood the whole game cheering. How many games have you stood the whole game. There is always going to be a small contingent that does not participate. Welcome to the real world. And as you pointed out, it happens at the Fetz also. One of the problems was that the student contingent was sitting below us and we couldn't hear them a lot of the time, although we picked up the cheer about half way through. Too bad you didn't go, because you would have seen more of the Butler old timers sitting on their butts doing nothing than you ever would at the Fetz. As for as the cheering at the Fetz, get over it. Unless you have a solution to the problem, bear with it. This is a topic that has worn out its welcome. Sorry, I disagree with you 110%. By the way, we were loud. You should of heard the Corral contingent who sat in the fing last row.

I'm sorry, but anybody that believes the SLU contingent on Friday was not loud is misinformed. Were there a few that didn't make noise all game, sure, but for the most part the SLU fans were loud and made an impact. What one hears on tv depends almost entirely on where the microphones are placed and I can assure you the broadcast did not do justice to how loud the SLU fans were.
+1. Plus, the Corral made me proud Friday night.

I was watching the VCU-X game yesterday and I didn't think Cintas was as loud as the Fetz for the Rams. However, that could be the network toned down crowd noise. That said, our student section, while improving, is not close to the Butler student's enthusiasm. We're getting there but still need some work.

I don't know why we can't come up with some song to jump up and down to. I've seen this in person at UNC when we played at the Dean Dome back in '05 and it get's the place rocking. I've also seen the Michigan students doing it, and Butler seemed to have a song they were all juking and jiving to.

Maybe our kids do it, but they just don't show it on TV.

I was watching the VCU-X game yesterday and I didn't think Cintas was as loud as the Fetz for the Rams. However, that could be the network toned down crowd noise. That said, our student section, while improving, is not close to the Butler student's enthusiasm. We're getting there but still need some work.

I don't know why we can't come up with some song to jump up and down to. I've seen this in person at UNC when we played at the Dean Dome back in '05 and it get's the place rocking. I've also seen the Michigan students doing it, and Butler seemed to have a song they were all juking and jiving to.

Maybe our kids do it, but they just don't show it on TV.

Did anyone watching the SLU-Butler understand the ESPNU announcers? It seemed liked they just mumbled through the game. I attributed to loud arena but after re-watching it from my DVR later it seemed like it was something technical that was malfunctioning.

This morning I watched the re-run of the VCU/X game (didn't see it the first time) on CBS Sports Net and Wolfe and his partner were very clear.

i don't think there is anything wrong with our student section as long as they show up like they have been. I guess they don't jump high enough now. Wow, they have come a long way. I would agree that we need something other than SAINT LOUIS to fire up the fans. That sounds llke a good job for someone.

i don't think there is anything wrong with our student section as long as they show up like they have been. I guess they don't jump high enough now. Wow, they have come a long way. I would agree that we need something other than SAINT LOUIS to fire up the fans. That sounds llke a good job for someone.

Like I said, we could have been louder. It wasn't the students not being active participants, but 30 or so people who just sat, rarely clapped or rallied when the guys needed support! They students were great! There were about three different student sections near me leading chants.Sometimes different ones at the same time!

The guys in costume were up above me and to my left, a few of them were also trying to get this " non participating group" involved and another small group of young men directly to my left and the students were below me. So it wasn't like like this group of silent fans were out of the loop-they just choose not to be an active Billiken Fans. I just don't get that! With the ratio of SLU:Butler Fans we needed everyones voice! So yes, we were loud-but we could have been louder!

Like I said, we could have been louder. It wasn't the students not being active participants, but 30 or so people who just sat, rarely clapped or rallied when the guys needed support! They students were great! There were about three different student sections near me leading chants.Sometimes different ones at the same time!

The guys in costume were up above me and to my left, a few of them were also trying to get this " non participating group" involved and another small group of young men directly to my left and the students were below me. So it wasn't like like this group of silent fans were out of the loop-they just choose not to be an active Billiken Fans. I just don't get that! With the ratio of SLU:Butler Fans we needed everyones voice! So yes, we were loud-but we could have been louder!

you saw 30 fans doing nothing? I saw a bunch of SLU fans trying to join in with the students, but because of the seating arrangement it was hard to do. I saw fans, not students standing the whole game. It would have been nice if it was a better coordinated effort. The cardinal fans could have been louder last year at a lot of the games I went to. I would rather have our fans there than Butler fans. At least they filled up space according to you. By the way, I saw at least 500 Butler fans doing nothing but sitting on their asses. Based on the circustances, if you have 30 out of at least 500 fans doing nothing, that' s not bad.