Dick Vitale weighs in

TheChosenOne

Why would Vitale ever give a flying *** what conference SLU is in? This is the silliest thing for him to comment on. He says the A10 is a very underrated league but SLU should leave anyway because of the travel. Talk about being a shill for RM - it is so blatant that it is funny.

I have two degrees from SLU back when we were in the MVC and the talk when we left the league was certain teams such as Louisville did not measure up

when it it came to student /athletic standards. You can imagine only imagine how our alums would feel about being in a league with MO State and Carbondale. Hell we might as well form a new league with SIUE, Maryville, Mc Murray, Semo, Lindenwood, Blackburn, Greenville, UMSL, Rend Lake, etc

and we would probably win every year no matter how old the coach gets if your goal is to cut down on travel

I have two degrees from SLU back when we were in the MVC and the talk when we left the league was certain teams such as Louisville did not measure up

when it it came to student /athletic standards. You can imagine only imagine how our alums would feel about being in a league with MO State and Carbondale. Hell we might as well form a new league with SIUE, Maryville, Mc Murray, Semo, Lindenwood, Blackburn, Greenville, UMSL, Rend Lake, etc

and we would probably win every year no matter how old the coach gets if your goal is to cut down on travel

Can we throw illinois st in there? a bunch of degenerates as well...

Canonical list of P-D mentions of Rick and charter flights...

thank you.

so, per that list, Biondi got serious by offering "more" charter flights, but i didn't see where the p-d reported that Biondi or SLU offered up charter flights all the time. Could it be that the travel schedule was made out before the year (like Bilikan stated) and contained more charter flights than Soderberg ever had? Further, maybe RM got what he was told he would get but became disgruntled and started griping for more?

All I'm saying is that none of us really know the scoop. There are reasonable explanations on both sides. RM, stop talking so much and keep coaching. You're doing a heckuva job with a bunch of great kids. We're all enjoying it. Please, let's just enjoy the rest of the season.

I rarely post (it's probably been at least 2 years) but read quite often as I'm a dedicated fan since the mid 80's. I live in Los Angeles (10 yrs running) and still follow Billiken basketball quite religiously.

For what it's worth, as a committed fan who cares about the Billiken basketball basketball program 1st, and Majerus 2nd...a move to the MVC would be a step back, not forward. The A-10 provides offers a better platform for growth.

Majerus will be around for the short term. A move to the MVC pigeonholes our program more so than A-10. Not to discredit the sentiments felt by but Dick V., Miklasz, and even Majerus but they do not share with SIMILAR emotion like us die-hard fans.

It seems pretty clear to me that the vast majority of fans whose heart and soul are tied into Billiken basketball do not want a move to the MVC. My gut says Biondi and May feel the same way.

I think thats why I find comments like what Dick V., even Majerus disturbing and frankly pisses me off a little. It's not that they don't "care", it's that they don't "care" enough about the long-term strategy after they're gone. That's just how I feel. I don't have any well-thought arguments...just a feeling that the majority of fans who are the most dedicated seem to feel the same way I do.

Maybe others who propose this move to the MVC should really think long and hard WHY we feel so strongly about staying put. Afterall, we'r not moving. They're the ones who will have to deal with it, not the rest of us.

Just my two cents.

I think there is a lot of the point missing here ..... listen to Vitale again. All he is basing his comment on, his agreement with Majerus on, is geography. He cites Penn State in the Big ten with Pitt and Rutgers potentially in the Big Ten. The Big Ten USED to end in Ohio. That's what he knows, frankly, that's what I knew. He cites Boston College in the ACC and not the Big East as another example. BC "jumps" geographically over teams like Providence, UConn, Syracuse, and Rutgers to get to it nearest geogrpahical conference mate Maryland. He is older than me but he is locked into the geographic end of the argument only. I am sure we could all find at leat a dozen or so teams that are in the wrong conference, geographically speaking. As I said before, so what? Geography is not the main reason schools go to where they are. Someone mentioned academcis. Another talks athletic philosophy. Secular and religious affiliations come up. Its a veritable hodge-podge of things.

I agree with Vitale ---- in the fact that SLU should be in a midwestern conference. However, I see none that fit the entire bill. End of discussion.

And Vitale is a hypocrite ---- bemoaning greed as the major factor? Give me a break --- the same thing goes for NCAA basketball as it does for NCAA football. Expansion of the basketball tournament is only being done to let more of the richer schools in, the schools Dickie fancies himself a god at. Whne Dick shows up at places like Siena, Butler, George Mason and other cinderfellas, its like he's doing that school a favor. Can't yousee the student section at Fordham passing him along on their outstretched arms? Sure, but he falls flat on his arse after the second row. Digger dancing with the Bonnie's cheer team in Olean, NY? Yeah, right.

Aahhh, the plight of being a Billiken fan. In the midst of our most promising and exciting season since 1997, we can't just bask in the sunshine of good hoops. Instead, we wallow in the cesspool of institutional politics. I think there's a one word solution to this problem, acutally a one name solution. Chaifetz. Our most exuberant and wealthiest fan. He promised he'd be at every home game for the rest of the season. Don't you think he's whispering in the good Fr.'s ear, "look what we've started, don't blow it!"

Another expert says MVC:

1. Majerus

2. Miklasz

3. Vitale

no coincidence that bernie and vitale are rickma friends? do you really think vitale has a clue about what is going on at saint louis university?

mb, you are fighting a losing battle on this one. slu has absolutely no chance of going to the mvc. you need to give this one up and forget about your ability to get on a bus to terre haute once a year. it isnt happening. see the a-10 for the positives that far outweigh your dream bus trips.

Yes, I was in a coma. If it was so widespread, it shouldn't take a 24/7 geek to look it up. Someone like you could probably even find it.

Also, charters might have been an option at Biondi's discretion. It might have been the wrong move to make, but it might have well been within his power. Sorry, sometimes bosses do that type of thing.

Yes, sometimes bosses do that type of thing and they are dead wrong and ###### up everything for everybody. You got something right, good!

The problem is, they think they are above it all and can do no wrong.

Biondi has not commented, which tells most of us a whole lot... but if he does gather up the courage to respond, he will undoubtedly say that it was "because of the economy", and add the kill shot, "it was either cut the charter flights or lay off some fine, loyal SLU employees".

If someone calls bernie an expert again I will go crazy. Bernie's knowledge of college basketball is terrible, absolutely horrible.

I wouldn't brag too much. You're the one that thought the Bills would get credit for a victory against a ranked team because Richmond is now ranked even though when we beat them they weren't.

no coincidence that bernie and vitale are rickma friends? do you really think vitale has a clue about what is going on at saint louis university?

mb, you are fighting a losing battle on this one. slu has absolutely no chance of going to the mvc. you need to give this one up and forget about your ability to get on a bus to terre haute once a year. it isnt happening. see the a-10 for the positives that far outweigh your dream bus trips.

I do not think we should go to the MVC NOW, especially if Majerus stays and gets us to the next level.

It is too late now, but we should have gone MVC 6 yrs ago instead of A-10, for hoops, and all sports.

I think that Majerus should receive what he was promised: charter flights to the games.

RE confereence, at this point we should wait (hope) that something opens up, a new midwest catholic conference, or whatever develops.

Do not like that a lot of posters / boosters critcize RM, his interviews, even stir things up and tell others to tell the AD to tell RM to keep his mouth shut, etc.

Broy, one more thing, you always say "if Marquette & DePaul can fly to Big East cities, SLU can travel to the A-10, etc" .

Has anyone ever researched, has Marquette & DePaul flown charter?

If so, did their Presidents take them away because of the economy? :(

I am headed for Scottsdale, 4 days of golf with some friends, all from BCS schools, one that beat us earlier this yr.

I have to wear a Georgia hat for 18 holes.

Gave my tickets tonite to another friend. Keep it going, beat RI! I think we will win another close one.

I do not think we should go to the MVC NOW, especially if Majerus stays and gets us to the next level.

It is too late now, but we should have gone MVC 6 yrs ago instead of A-10, for hoops, and all sports.

I think that Majerus should receive what he was promised: charter flights to the games.

RE confereence, at this point we should wait (hope) that something opens up, a new midwest catholic conference, or whatever develops.

Do not like that a lot of posters / boosters critcize RM, his interviews, even stir things up and tell others to tell the AD to tell RM to keep his mouth shut, etc.

do you realize how badly slu would perform in the mvc in non revenue sports? with all the state schools in the mvc we would get killed.

do you realize how badly slu would perform in the mvc in non revenue sports? with all the state schools in the mvc we would get killed.

So now you say the MVC is too good.

OK, fine.

I think the soccer, baseball, other teams would welcome the challenge.

AND this would bring better talent to SLU since the competition is more formidable.

AND the players would rather play Bradley, MO State, SIU-C, etc, than take el cheapo long trips to play Fordham, Duq, RI, St. Bonnie, etc.

But again, it is too late, we made our move 6+ yrs ago, might as well wait for some new conference to develop.

Broy, one more thing, you always say "if Marquette & DePaul can fly to Big East cities, SLU can travel to the A-10, etc" .

Has anyone ever researched, has Marquette & DePaul flown charter?

If so, did their Presidents take them away because of the economy? :)

I am headed for Scottsdale, 4 days of golf with some friends, all from BCS schools, one that beat us earlier this yr.

I have to wear a Georgia hat for 18 holes.

Gave my tickets tonite to another friend. Keep it going, beat RI! I think we will win another close one.

Still waiting for a reply... do Marquette and DePaul fly commercial?

Broy says if they can play in Big E, we can play in A-10.

So now you say the MVC is too good.

OK, fine.

for non revenue sports yes. go watch the slu siu baseball and softball games this spring.