Dick Vitale weighs in

TheChosenOne

im tired of people posting things like these. Dick vitale does not matter in SLU's descision. let me know when something tangible happens to our conference affiliation.

why does knott say Rick Majerus was under a lot of criticism coming unto the season? Where does he get that from? He knows nothing about basketball.

This MVC thing is just dumb because were not moving, we should move on to important matters.

Another expert says MVC:

1. Majerus

2. Miklasz

3. Vitale

Still waiting for you to source your stories that were all over the media about the charter deal. Also, if you could prove that Biondi reneged as opposed to did something within his discretion under the contract, that'd be nice. Doesn't mean what biondi did was right, but you should back up those things that you shout about everyday.

Once we get the facts, then let's discuss.

If my daughter flunked out of SLU, and then flunked out of Mizzou, I'd send her to SW Mo. State, so there's no way that I'd want my Bills playing in their conference! Hell!, SMS grads have been carrying my bags, and parking my cars for years! They're not in our league. If the Bills went to the MVC, I'd be more likely to donate to the Taliban than SLU athletics.

However, don't go bad-mouthing my main man, Dick Vitale! He is one of the biggest assets that NCAA men's basketball has! His great enthusiasm and in-depth knowledge of the game make him the best spokesperson for the NCAA. Chumps like Billy Packer couldn't even carry his glass eye.

Still waiting for you to source your stories that were all over the media about the charter deal. Also, if you could prove that Biondi reneged as opposed to did something within his discretion under the contract, that'd be nice. Doesn't mean what biondi did was right, but you should back up those things that you shout about everyday.

Once we get the facts, then let's discuss.

You must have been in a coma if you do not know that it was announced with Majerus' hiring that the team would get charter flights to all the east coast based cities.

Majerus knew this was a "must".

I am not a 24/7 geek that will look up the old articles, quotes, etc, you do it.

I have been looking at the board a lot lately because I am distrurbed that a lot of RM haters (or Biondi supporters) are critcizing Majerus, the best thing to happen to the program since Easy Ed, BUT are not touching the fact that charter flights were promised, then taken away. That is the issue.

One regular loon on this board even said during the teams recent 8+ day stay in Philly that they were better off studying there than in their classrooms. Brilliant.

Facts? Majerus and Vitale are national experts on the matter. Their credentials are formidable and documented. What are yours?

Facts? Majerus and Vitale are national experts on the matter. Their credentials are formidable and documented. What are yours?

I completely disagree. What experience do they have running an athletic department or a college for that matter. Both have been succesful coaches, that is it. That does not give them expertise on the matter, it might give them an inside perspective, but they do not have expertise orchestrating a conference change. MB73, we are not going to move to the MVC so what good does it do to bring it up. Why not talk about actual SLU basketball.

I completely disagree. What experience do they have running an athletic department or a college for that matter. Both have been succesful coaches, that is it. That does not give them expertise on the matter, it might give them an inside perspective, but they do not have expertise orchestrating a conference change. MB73, we are not going to move to the MVC so what good does it do to bring it up. Why not talk about actual SLU basketball.

Wow.

You think Majerus and Vitale do not have expertise in these matters, but you think that YOU do.

Hey, I never bring the MVC issue up anymore, but I see all the cheap shots on Majerus from the peanut gallery and it pisses me off.

Big internet board experts. :lol:

This just in Dick Vitale believes that the NCAA tournament every year should look like this:

DUKE ------------ Notre Dame

I don't care what Vitale thinks. By the way who drinks Sunkist?

You must have been in a coma if you do not know that it was announced with Majerus' hiring that the team would get charter flights to all the east coast based cities.

I am not a 24/7 geek that will look up the old articles, quotes, etc, you do it.

I have been looking at the board a lot lately because I am distrurbed that a lot of RM haters (or Biondi supporters) are critcizing Majerus, the best thing to happen to the program since Easy Ed, BUT are not touching the fact that charter flights were promised, then taken away. That is the issue.

One regular loon on this board even said during the teams recent 8+ day stay in Philly that they were better off studying there than in their classrooms. Brilliant.

+1

Backhand is a fan of MB

And we thought Metz was bad......

Many of us have shared our names publicly with everyone on the board. Why don't you?

Canonical list of P-D mentions of Rick and charter flights:

Bernie, 4/21/07

'Rick Majerus at St. Louis U? What great fun that would be. I'd like to see the look on the Rev. Lawrence Biondi's face if Majerus asks SLU for $1.5 million in salary, substantial salaries for his assistants, a dramatic increase in the basketball budget, team travel by chartered flights, complete authority over the basketball program, and special academic exemptions for basketball players to gain admittance. If Biondi doesn't faint, then maybe he'll offer Majerus that and more."

Timmerman, 4/28/07

"It's believed Majerus will make around $1 million a year, more than twice what Soderberg made. Most coaches start out with a five-year deal with rollover provisions. (The highest-paid coach in the Atlantic 10 had been Sean Miller at Xavier, who signed a new contract after last season that will pay him between $700,000 and $900,000.) Majerus also got a want list needed to build the program that is believed to include higher salaries for his assistants, more charter flights to games and more academic resources."

Gregorian, 5/1/2007

"University president the Rev. Lawrence Biondi convinced him SLU was serious about winning. One way of demonstrating that was his salary, believed to be around $1 million annually. It's also understood that SLU will pay assistant coaches substantially better and travel more often by charter, among other enhancements."

Timmerman, 1/23/2009

"After an examination in a training room at Liacouras Center, Mitchell, who had a bad headache, was taken to a hospital to determine the extent of the injury and if it would be safe for him to fly home. The team was supposed to fly a charter home immediately after the game."

Caesar, 1/29/2010

"The flap caused by St. Louis University men's basketball coach Rick Majerus abandoning his local radio show has led to wild speculation in the local media and among fans as to the reason. Theories range from the thought he might be campaigning for the DePaul coaching job to the belief he's protesting the SLU administration's recent decision to drop charter flights for the team in favor of commercial travel."

That's it, and it took me about five minutes to check and summarize. You will note words and phrases like "It's...understood," "is believed to," "wild speculation" and "theories." Not a single instance of a documented source.

Yes, I was in a coma. If it was so widespread, it shouldn't take a 24/7 geek to look it up. Someone like you could probably even find it.

Also, charters might have been an option at Biondi's discretion. It might have been the wrong move to make, but it might have well been within his power. Sorry, sometimes bosses do that type of thing.

Bernie, 4/21/07

'Rick Majerus at St. Louis U? What great fun that would be. I'd like to see the look on the Rev. Lawrence Biondi's face if Majerus asks SLU for $1.5 million in salary, substantial salaries for his assistants, a dramatic increase in the basketball budget, team travel by chartered flights, complete authority over the basketball program, and special academic exemptions for basketball players to gain admittance. If Biondi doesn't faint, then maybe he'll offer Majerus that and more."

Timmerman, 4/28/07

"It's believed Majerus will make around $1 million a year, more than twice what Soderberg made. Most coaches start out with a five-year deal with rollover provisions. (The highest-paid coach in the Atlantic 10 had been Sean Miller at Xavier, who signed a new contract after last season that will pay him between $700,000 and $900,000.) Majerus also got a want list needed to build the program that is believed to include higher salaries for his assistants, more charter flights to games and more academic resources."

Gregorian, 5/1/2007

"University president the Rev. Lawrence Biondi convinced him SLU was serious about winning. One way of demonstrating that was his salary, believed to be around $1 million annually. It's also understood that SLU will pay assistant coaches substantially better and travel more often by charter, among other enhancements."

Timmerman, 1/23/2009

"After an examination in a training room at Liacouras Center, Mitchell, who had a bad headache, was taken to a hospital to determine the extent of the injury and if it would be safe for him to fly home. The team was supposed to fly a charter home immediately after the game."

Caesar, 1/29/2010

"The flap caused by St. Louis University men's basketball coach Rick Majerus abandoning his local radio show has led to wild speculation in the local media and among fans as to the reason. Theories range from the thought he might be campaigning for the DePaul coaching job to the belief he's protesting the SLU administration's recent decision to drop charter flights for the team in favor of commercial travel."

That's it, and it took me about five minutes to check and summarize. You will note words and phrases like "It's...understood," "is believed to," "wild speculation" and "theories." Not a single instance of a documented source.

Well, Bonwich, I guess this makes you one of the "loons" on the board. Welcome to the club! :lol:

EDIT: On closer inspection, I misspoke, actually this makes you a "geek". Not sure what the difference is. I think the "loons" have more fun though.

Wow.

You think Majerus and Vitale do not have expertise in these matters, but you think that YOU do.

Hey, I never bring the MVC issue up anymore, but I see all the cheap shots on Majerus from the peanut gallery and it pisses me off.

Big internet board experts. :lol:

I never said I had expertise. But Im smart enough to look at the situation and see whos decision it is. Rick should stick to coaching the team, what he is paid to do. If he was promised charter flights, he should get them, but he should leave the conference decision making to those who have to live with the outcome.

Bernie, 4/21/07

Timmerman, 4/28/07

Gregorian, 5/1/2007

Timmerman, 1/23/2009

Caesar, 1/29/2010

Thank you for the research, Joe.

P.S. For calendar year 2007, Majerus made $601,180, making him the third-highest-paid employee at SLU despite that compensation being for only part of the year. (Based on my prior post, he was hired on or about 4/28, making that approximately 58% of his annual salary. That would back out to an annual salary of $1.03M -- I can't find the 2008 numbers. For point of reference, Brad made $646,929 the year before.)