Harrellson RELEASED

I am not saying we will land Harrellson, but I think there is still a lot of Billiken insecurity on this board. We have one of the best coaches in the land, one of the best facilities in the land, and a lot of regional attraction for a kid like Josh. Sure, it is never easy to compete against a program like UK, but Majerus has proven that he can beat some big programs for kids. I think we as fans are still in the little-engine-that-could mindset, while the program has finally made it up the hill.

Well Said

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you all need to reread previous harrelson threads. plenty of folks have continuously inferred and outright said that harrelson was a sure thing. especially bigbillfan

hey i want harrelson as well. but i am realistic enough to not be over the top about those chances.

whether soderberg could have had him two years ago or not isnt relevant. soderberg preferred to chase alexander. right or wrong, that's what happened. yet folks continued to tell us soderberg passed on a sure thing and after he skipped out on his loi for western all that was said here was nothing but if only western would release him he could be a billiken immediately. now it's there for the taking and supposedly rickma has said he would take him, and still no verbal commit.

hey josh we want you. get it over with.

I'm sure, all that he has been waiting for, is your approval. I am glad to see that you at least agree ( finally) that he is a worthy recruit.

I haven't read all 100 of these posts, but several suggests that he is looking at Ky, and one even Wash State, Indiana, etc.

What happened to the emotional plea that he wanted out to be close to his family, which was in a family emergency situation. Sorry if someone else pointed this out, but either way does he not look like a hypocrite manipulating the system if he is considering these schools? Oh well, there is always law school for him...

I haven't read all 100 of these posts, but several suggests that he is looking at Ky, and one even Wash State, Indiana, etc.

What happened to the emotional plea that he wanted out to be close to his family, which was in a family emergency situation. Sorry if someone else pointed this out, but either way does he not look like a hypocrite manipulating the system if he is considering these schools? Oh well, there is always law school for him...

First of all a lot can change in a year and secondly, he had only been released for 24 hours!!!! Don't you think he should at least meet with RM??? This is the same board that had no use for him 2 years ago and now they can't wait a short while for him to make a decision. Funny how things work out some times.

First of all a lot can change in a year and secondly, he had only been released for 24 hours!!!! Don't you think he should at least meet with RM??? This is the same board that had no use for him 2 years ago and now they can't wait a short while for him to make a decision. Funny how things work out some times.

You miss the point, Bernies article was very much based on the plea for him to be close to his family, a dire situation... now KY, IN, Wash State?

SWIC vs. Kaskaskia on 2-20 Harrellson's #55

audio don't start till the end of the first half.

http://americacast.ezstream.com/play/index...3F&from=brd

how would there be room left? Right now we have:

Liddell

Lisch

Eberhardt

Eckerle (he got a renewal, right?)

Relphord

Mitchell

Maguire

Knollmeyer

Reed

Thompson

Mitchell

Cotto

Conklin

Cassity

John

Already over extended by 2, 1 if Eckerle is dumped. This isn't women's hoops with 15 scholarships. Plus, 2 centers already signed. Going for a third? This just doesn't pass the smell test.

how would there be room left? Right now we have:

Liddell

Lisch

Eberhardt

Eckerle (he got a renewal, right?)

Relphord

Mitchell

Maguire

Knollmeyer

Reed

Thompson

Mitchell

Cotto

Conklin

Cassity

John

Already over extended by 2, 1 if Eckerle is dumped. This isn't women's hoops with 15 scholarships. Plus, 2 centers already signed. Going for a third? This just doesn't pass the smell test.

If you can't pay attention to what has been posted hundreds of times about the scholarship situation, you might just want to stick to the MU board.

I'm sure, all that he has been waiting for, is your approval. I am glad to see that you at least agree ( finally) that he is a worthy recruit.

show me a post in the last year where i said he wasnt. i might have defended soderberg's wrong line of thinking (waiting for alexander and asking josh to wait until spring) but i havent questioned josh's ability in over a year.

i admit back in november of 2006 when harrelson signed with western i pointed out that if the best he could get was a western scholarship i was questioning his ability. but after that senior season i never said anything like that since. you are obviously confusing two issues. one, how good is josh harrelson and two, why did soderberg pass on harrelson. those are two different issues.

so why hasnt he verballed to slu yet?

show me a post in the last year where i said he wasnt. i might have defended soderberg's wrong line of thinking (waiting for alexander and asking josh to wait until spring) but i havent questioned josh's ability in over a year.

i admit back in november of 2006 when harrelson signed with western i pointed out that if the best he could get was a western scholarship i was questioning his ability. but after that senior season i never said anything like that since. you are obviously confusing two issues. one, how good is josh harrelson and two, why did soderberg pass on harrelson. those are two different issues.

so why hasnt he verballed to slu yet?

Roy,

Can he verbal without an offer? He's been unrecruitable for over a year and it's now a "dead period".

Guest BillikenReport

it back in november of 2006 when harrelson signed with western i pointed out that if the best he could get was a western scholarship i was questioning his ability. but after that senior season i never said anything like that since. you are obviously confusing two issues. one, how good is josh harrelson and two, why did soderberg pass on harrelson. those are two different issues.

Roy,

You bashed me for months when I suggested SLU should recruit players like Paul Eckerle and Josh Harrellson and kept saying how they weren't good enough.

Now one of them is a Billiken and everyone wants the other one to be.

Just pointing this out.

- Nate

Yeah, we are already two over. that is a fact if RM sticks to his words regarding Eckerle.

Regarding your other point, we already have two centers signed, in the Willie Reed story he considers himself a face the basket power forward. And RM is known liking to play at least two big men at one time. When I say big men I mean two guys in the 6'9" to 7'0" range such as when Doleac and Van Horn played together at Utah. I don't know where the scholarships are coming from but I see no problem with three big guys who all seem to have different types of games.

Willie Reed - Athletic big who can drive and play either center or power forward

Josh Harrelson - He sounds like the classic big physical center

Brett Thompson - Big center who can also step outside and hit a three

Sound pretty dam good to me.

Guest BillikenReport

Thompson, Reed and Harrellson would all fit together pretty well and make each other better.

They have three distinctly different skill sets, with Harrellson being the kind of player SLU needs right away in my opinion.

He's the big body who will get rebounds and defend the post.

Thompson is bigger, but hasn't played against a high level of competition yet and tends to drift away from the basket.

Reed is long and athletic, but needs to put on a lot of weight so he doesn't get pushed around and doesn't have as much experience as the other two.

Harrellson probably would have started for SLU this past season.

- Nate

Yeah, we are already two over. that is a fact if RM sticks to his words regarding Eckerle.

Regarding your other point, we already have two centers signed, in the Willie Reed story he considers himself a face the basket power forward. And RM is known liking to play at least two big men at one time. When I say big men I mean two guys in the 6'9" to 7'0" range such as when Doleac and Van Horn played together at Utah. I don't know where the scholarships are coming from but I see no problem with three big guys who all seem to have different types of games.

Willie Reed - Athletic big who can drive and play either center or power forward

Josh Harrelson - He sounds like the classic big physical center

Brett Thompson - Big center who can also step outside and hit a three

Sound pretty dam good to me.

WV. What's not to understand. It has been rumored for 5 months, and mentioned at length on this Board, that AK, MR, AM and DM will not be coming back. So far, nothing official. IMO, that is more out of courtesy, respect and the best interests of these 4 Billikens as they make important personal choices.

Two points: if the rumors, or at least part of it, are not true, then why would Cotto and Cassity have committed? Also, why would RM run off players this year, if he did not have plans to use the scholarship this year. In other words, if RM were to only sign these 2 more but release 4, then he be "saving" 2 scholarships like Brad did. Does not make sense.

Believe RM said 2 months ago that he'd like to sign 2 to 3 more kids. So far, he has signed 2 more. The 5 Fall recruits also seem to all be doing well (WR seems to be getting his credits in order) and therefore they, as a group, are looking more solid today than 2 months ago.

If RM were to sign Harrelson (or another transfer/JUCO big guy) and try but not be successful offering that 4th additional scholarship, then maybe RM will be done and not use that last scholship this year. My guess is that RM will try to land 2 more guys but that they won't be high school seniors. We'll see.

Finally, agree with your thoughts on having and the need to have 3 diverse big men, just don't assume BT cannot play the 4 as well as the 5. Again, we'll see.

Roy,

Can he verbal without an offer? He's been unrecruitable for over a year and it's now a "dead period".

Not to mention his release is going to be conditional. I could go into more detail but I don't want to give away any Scout.com material.

It would be literally impossible for him to have orally commited to SLU at this point, not that anyone should expect an immediate decision for any school...

There's a thread about Harrelson on Bernie's Press Box, with the latest post from Bernie being:

Problem is, some main not consider Lexington too far from home.

I think we have a reasonable shot at JH and am certainly hoping for the best. I do wish it was SLU vs. the BCS and we were the only "local" option. Instead, it appears MU and Illinois will be among the schools he talks to so our local angle sales pitch won't be as strong. The immediate playing time angle might not be that great either as most of our competition (UK and Indiana included) can likely look him in the eye and tell him he'll start next year.

If this is going to happen it'll be because 1) he wants to stay real close 2) Majerus 3) the new arena.

sounds like he's going to take his official visits though so nobody should expect an immediate resolution.

Problem is, some main not consider Lexington too far from home.

I think we have a reasonable shot at JH and am certainly hoping for the best. I do wish it was SLU vs. the BCS and we were the only "local" option. Instead, it appears MU and Illinois will be among the schools he talks to so our local angle sales pitch won't be as strong. The immediate playing time angle might not be that great either as most of our competition (UK and Indiana included) can likely look him in the eye and tell him he'll start next year.

If this is going to happen it'll be because 1) he wants to stay real close 2) Majerus 3) the new arena.

sounds like he's going to take his official visits though so nobody should expect an immediate resolution.

I believe that the fact Memphis is in the championship game is a big plus for recruiting. Memphis is a school from a non BCS, so called mid major conference, just like Majerus at Utah in 98. In other words, you don't have to go to a BCS school to win it all. If a team like Memphis in Conference USA can do it, so can a team from the A-10, especially with Majerus who has done it before.

Thompson is bigger, but hasn't played against a high level of competition yet and tends to drift away from the basket.

I guess you didnt watch or see highlights of one game last year. Brett doesnt "drift" outside that much any more. He played the post all year long only very rarely going out to shoot. His biggest flaw was not always getting good position for offensive rebounds.