Brett Thompson Verbally Commits

I guess my statement last week suggesting, if RM wants Suggs as a Billiken he will be a Billiken holds a little more weight today.

It is all about recruiting and RM is as good as anyone. His message will be attractive to Top 100 talent as well as players who believe RM can develope them as a player into Top 100 type talent.

This is awesome news! He's a huge get for the Bills and can help us usher in a new era of SLU basketball. I'm thrilled, to say the least. He's the kind of player other recruits will be thrilled to play with. He's also ushering in a new era of big men in the A10, with Kenny Frease heading to XU- those will be some nice matchups.

Exicting times to be a Bills fan- I haven't been able to say that very often in my life.

On behalf of Brett, and his entire family, Many thanks to Coach Majerus and Porter Moser who have made this decision so easy. We certainly look forward to the Vienna Eagle exchanging his wings for Billiken Blue! Thank you for all your wonderful comments, we look forward to 08!

Post subject: Good News for SLU: Thompson commits

Posted: 15 May 2007 16:03 pm

Staff Moderator

A couple of recruiting-scouting services, including Scout.com, are reporting that SLU has received a commitment from 6-11 center Brett Thompson, class of 2008 at Vienna (Ill.) High School ... ranked as the No. 15 center in the country by scout.com

SLU beat out Indiana, Alabama, Iowa State....

Notre Dame, Purdue and Michigan had offered him....

Soderberg had started recruiting him ... but Porter Moser also recruited him hard for Illinois State and now Moser is a Majerus assistant, and the big man closed the deal.

Really nice get for SLU.

--B

Last edited by BernieM on 15 May 2007 16:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

...as excited as we were when RM was hired, I can tell you we are over the top tonight. Your son made a wise choice. New Coach...new arena...new era for college hoops. Plus he'll get a year of playing alongside two of the best guards in the country his freshman year. When was the last time it felt this great to be Billiken fan! Congrats to all the Thompsons and welcome...welcome...welcome!

welcome to an old and venerable basketball town-we hope you

take time to meet Easy Ed McCauley who was twice All American for St. Louis University and even the MVP of the NBA-these are some google notes from a Cancer fundraiser in 2006 taken from Greg Marachek's book on the St. Louis Hawks-

Mr. Mc Cauley often sits about 20 rows up facing the visitors bench at Bill's games; we bet he'll take keen interest in our newesr center.     

"This year’s dinner will feature the incredible “Untold Stories of the St. Louis Hawksâ€.  Hear the funny and interesting inside stories of a remarkable time in St. Louis sports history; the era of the NBA’s St. Louis Hawks.  Author Greg Maracek will lead an all star panel including Bob Pettit, Ed McCauley, and other Hawk’s players from that time, delivering a truly amazing history of the former perennial power in the National Basketball Association. Between 1955 and 1968, pro basketball closely rivaled the attention and at times even outstripped the success of baseball’s St. Louis Cardinals. "

Welcome to the Brett Thompson era.

"Easy" Ed McCauley is the youngest man elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame. 

Schaz,

If everything plays out right,come August you`ll have to fight me for that honor.Ft. Myers may be in the works.Will take a Devil Ray hat with me.

Unca and Pappa Tango have been going to Billiken games for many, many years and we are excited about the upcoming seasons with RM and with the new recruiting class of '08. We welcome the Thompson family into our SLU family and know they will be pleased with the decision to come to St. Louis. Welcome to the Gateway City, and hopefully the gateway to Brett's future in hoops.