Ron Waller commits to Western Kentucky

VTIME

This class should have between 15 to 20 D1 commits at the least. Guys who will go division 1 for sure (barring grade problems) are Brandenburg, Suggs, Roundtree, Swopshire, John, Booker, Waller, Perry, Soderberg. Probables are Cornelius Walker, Kenny Harris, Mike Baker, Antonio Campbell. Also rumor has it that 2009 Beaumont center Richard Anderson has grown and now stands somewhere between 6'8 and 6'9. At 6'6 220 last year he was a specimen. Even if he hasnt put on any weight he should be a force during the season and in AAU. All this dependent on the rumor being true ofcourse.

if you told us that a player or players were committing to slu, it would be a big deal. i (and i believe most others here) couldnt care less about kids that go elsewhere.

we would care that second only because we know that they are current billiken targets. however i for one will quickly forget or ever care about them again if they choose instead to go away. good for them, but they are no longer st louisans thereforward imo. and will come back strangers.

however the likes of bonner, claggett, highmark hughes are forever st louis heros and own the town forever.

Ron Waller was getting some looks by St. Louis U.

I think he could have been an interesting fallback option for when the top players in that class choose to go elsewhere.

I like the kid's game. He's about 6-3 with good strength. His best asset is his overall feel for the game. His jumper needed work last time I watched him play, but when I spoke with him last week he said he's really been working on it.

The kid hasn't even played a game in his junior year, so there's still plenty of time for him to get better.

Waller also earned some points in my book when he told me one of the reasons he chose Western Kentucky was because he loved basketball too much to go somewhere else and possibly not play right away.

- Nate

>we would care that second only because we know that they are

>current billiken targets. however i for one will quickly

>forget or ever care about them again if they choose instead

>to go away. good for them, but they are no longer st

>louisans thereforward imo. and will come back strangers.

>

>however the likes of bonner, claggett, highmark hughes are

>forever st louis heros and own the town forever.

How do you lose your St. Louisanship? Alex Tyus and Jared Swopshire are still St. Louisans. They are as much St. Louisans as Hughes and Baniak.

not in my book. if tyus and swopshire (assuming that swopshire is headed elsewhere for college as well) came in for a job interview in 5 years, and drejaj and newborne came in at the same time, drejaj and newborne would get the interview and tyus and swopshire would be shown the door. let them find work in florida they love it there so much.

>Per Nate's description of 6'3" and needs some work on his

>jump shot....I'm not going lose a lot of sleep over this

>one.

Yeah, you're right.

That description sounds a lot like Tommie Liddell.

No, Waller isn't the prospect Liddell was at the same stage. But he does a lot of things well and could develop into a nice player in college.

- Nate

Except that Waller is closer to 6'2" than 6'3" and he lacks the explosiveness Tommie did. Waller has never shown the ability to raise the level of his teammates play, this was the part of Tommie's game that I always like the best in high school. Other than that they have much in common.

players needing work on their jumpers. Tommie appears to be doing just that. Dwayne and Luke are kind of ugly still. We are not a great shooting team. Never having seen Waller play, compare him to Anthony Drejaj for me? Better? Worse? Faster?

Western Kentucky isn't exactly Duke and YOU called him a second choice/tier guy.

considering larry has been playing in the nba since he left slu and the nba plays most every nite at the same time that the billikens play, that would make it a little tough for larry to attend any games at slu.

however both his mother and wife were present to receive larry's induction into the billiken hall of fame.

whether it harsh or not doesnt matter imo. it is a fact. the billiken local alumni are forever preferred st louisians over those that choose to go away. let tyus be a preferred cincy citizen or gainsvillian. that is his choice. no one forced him to turn his back on st louis. if he thinks that gives him some sort of head start in life great, but then dont come crying back to st louis asking to be welcomed as a returning hero.

let's look at a couple of area high school stars. ryan robertson was one of the best players over the last 15 years. he heads to kansas and played on some monster kansas teams. he played in the nba. no one gets too excited if ryan robertson shows up.

now take erwin claggett or scott highmark. i guarantee you that they will always get the attention and open doors as compared to robertson. that is just the way st louis is. and too be honest, i totally agree with it.

our up and comers, suggs, brandenberg, griffey, thompson, swopshire, they can be those future heros. i would bet you they come here with kramer they will own this town in 6 years. how many will guaranteed make the nba? not a one. they all probably have a good shot with natural progression. but just thinking back to claggett, highmark and robertson above, they were all huge st louis high school stars as well and while robertson had a cup of coffee in the nba, that is all they ever saw of the big lights and big city of the nba. just the realistic facts. college might prepare you for the nba, it will prepare you for the rest of your life. and if the rest of a kid's life is st louis, i'd sure think about endearing myself to st louis not gainesville, florida or seattle, washington.

Roy, mind you this is just my opinion now.. and so take it for what it's worth. But you seem to almost chastize kids for not picking a local school. As long as they understand the intrinsic values or the "possibility" of being a home town "darling" and they know what they "could" be missing... there is no harm in picking another school. Kids do all the time. Look at the rosters of the top 5 programs in the country. Very few have local kids on them.

I agree Highmark & Claggs are still reaping some benefits from a 2nd round appearance in the tourney. What 10 years ago? 2nd round mind you too, just think what would happen if a team of St, Louis kids made a deep run?

There are a lot of other factors that go into a kids decision, i.e. Just to name a few. One is the current roster of the team. Are they loaded at the position he will be competing at? Two, are there acedemic specialties at a certain school that are better or more interesting for that particular individual? Another is the coach... if a kid really likes a coach and watches him and see's his style of play,.... well that too could be a big factor. Some kids are just fiercley independant and want to make it on their own.. they may simply not want the "intrinsic value". But I bet most are not saying I want to screw my hometown and play somewhere else? Just because a kid picks another school... doesn't mean you should turn your back on them.

Yea.. St. Louis and MO don't care if Ryan shows up. But KU and Roy Williams do!!! I don't see anyone who didn't play here either asking to be the hometown hero either? I don't think you can ask for that. That is something that is given not taken.

Trust me, out of state schools have alums that will take care of their own. They also have the intrinsic value factor working for them too.

Lastly it takes a lot of guts for a kid to go to a school that is not a hometown school. Like it or not.. How hard do you think it was for Ryan to go to KU? Every time he touched the ball at Mizzou he got heckeled. That's fine.. you may not like it..but I have a lot of respect for a kid that can do that. He made his choice he lived his dream.. I tip my hat to him. I'm sure he had good reason to do it too.

all great points. and if ryan robertson wants to make his life in lawrence kansas or chapel hill he has a definite advantage. if he wants to make his post basketball life the metro st louis area, he gave that up. that might sound cold or chastizing, but i have seen it happen all too much to not know it is true.

another example, do you think bonner gets that cush job with the st louis school system if he wasnt a local hero? i dont.

or how about thinking about the great trio from cardinal ritter. woods, carrawell and white all had at least an nba cup of coffee. none are as reverred in st louis as larry hughes or bonner or even the kids like claggett or highmark that didnt even make it.

i understand what you are saying. all i am saying is that it is the nature of st louis to drop those that leave. and as a hard core koolaid drinking billiken supporter, i probably follow and act on that trend even closer than other st louisians that also will cool quickly to the departing.

Yep agreed. Carrawell, Woods and White.. are not recognizable St. Louisans.. but they might be OK with that too.

Agreed Bonner does not get that job.. but again.. as long as one understands that "intrinsic values even opportunities" maybe lost?

And all I'm saying is drop away, because there are other places in the US that one can be successful and happy. And some that do have St. Louis roots too.

I think the Griffsters first response is worth aces when it comes to those on this board that continually argue about us getting recruits and who we lose out to. We lose out, everyone does. Griffster points out, to me, that anyone (Brad included or excluded) can do all he wants to do and there may be nothing at all that he can really do about signing the deal. And if you read the Illini story, you can "close the deal" but not really close the deal as was proven in the Gordon committment.

There are probably cases all over the country of what broy describes. I happen to believe St. Louis is one of the more parochial cities out there. Sam Cassell, Carmelo Anthony, Mark Karcher, Mugsy Bogues, Keith Booth and some others are not as revered in their home town of Baltimore as outsiders like Johnny Unitas, Wes Unseld, and Ray Lewis might be. Booth might even be better because he stayed somewhat local going down I-95 to College Park. They get "nice" receptions on their return (Anthony is still riding high here but the pro-drug video didn't help) but it ain't "come out and see the great Houdini" by any stretch of the imagination.

I think the intrinsic value is a factor in some decisions. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. It might also be why folks decide to go away. I know hanging around the old homestead was one thing I did NOT want to do after high school. getting away, not the main factor in my chosing Saint Louis University, did play some into the equation. It can go both ways but nice post by Griff.