SLU vs. MU

NH

Hey i'm NH and I have been going to Billiken games since I was a kid, and I was wondering if anyone had any info on whether Anderson will want to schedule SLU or not, I remember Brad saying that he would be on the phone immediately with the new coach, whoever it was.

I went to a reception last Thursday wherein Coach Anderson was introduced to the MU fans/alumni in St. Louis. He was asked specifically during a Q and A session whether he would play a series agaisnt either SLU or Missouri State or both. He indicated that he had high regard for both Brad Soderberg and Barry Hinson, but then gave an evasive answer. Said he had been focused on last minute recruiting for 2006 and recruiting for 2007 since arriving, and that he was behind the 8 ball with respect to scheduling for next year. He did indicate that it would be considered in the future, but not for next year.

in place before he gets involved in a heated rivalry with either SLU or Missouri State. Until there's a state law forcing Mizzou to play its in-state rivals like many other states, there just isn't the incentive to sign up.

This is a pretty lame excuse if that is what Anderson is saying. Since Mizz was having a hard time getting sellouts in their new building I would think even with the new coach establishing an instate rivalry would be good for all sides.

I would persuade my family members and other SLU fans who are also registered voters to sign such a petition. What about an oustanding citizen like yourself?

>I would persuade my family members and other SLU fans who

>are also registered voters to sign such a petition. What

>about an oustanding citizen like yourself?

Since SLU is a private school a bill like that would probably not hold up constitutionally. And even if it did, where does it stop? Is the next step seperate bills to require Mizzou to play SEMO, UMKC and Mo State every year as well? It's a pipe dream.

i agree. slu would have no business being a part of any sort of legislation. now missouri state, semo and mi$$ouri that is a different story.

I'm sure there are a ton of MU alums who have either family members at SLU or who are SLU alums or MU undergrads who went to SLU for graduate degrees, etc. that would love to see the rivalry reach the heights that it did when Spoon and Stewart were on the sidelines...

Bring it back. Let's cage the Tigers!

The legislation wouldn't bind SLU. It would make a specified amount of funding for MU contingent upon MU scheduling basketball games against in-state rivals. The presumption of the legislatures is that SLU would be willing to schedule the game. For the forseeable future, their presumption is correct.

It's very simple and you know it.....

Missouri's current roster is not were Coach Mike wants/needs for it to be.

On the other hand, Missouri State and SLU would be very, very difficult non-conference opponents in 2006.

Cut the b.s., .....now (2006) is not the time for the Tigers to play the Bears or SLU. We both understand how things work, just admit it!

SLU would have throttled Mizzou last year ('05-'06) and would do so this year, as well. Even if I were to agree with your claim that SLU has "no athleticism" (I don't agree), teams with outstanding athleticism frequently lose to well-coached, disciplined, and experienced teams with more ordinary athleticism. In 2006 SLU beat "athletic" teams considerably better than Mizzou. Charlotte is such a team. What about Xavier? Missouri isn't all that athletic, anyway. Is Kalen Grimes going to drag Ian Vouyoukas through the hoop for a dunk? I seriously doubt it.

I never actually believed that we could get this thing going through the state legislature. That said, this still needs to be an annual rivalry. Just think: Xavier-Cincinnati, Marquette-Wisconsin, Gonzaga-Washington, and the list goes on. We put up with Norm Stewart's stubborn crap for years, then Q wouldn't keep it going after three close ones, but now it looks like Mizzou finally has a stand-up guy to see the value in a game like this.