Bills Win 72-54

Schasz

Nice home cooking win for our guys. Tom Frericks had a breakout game with 18 pts and I believe 12 boards. Hopefully, this is a look of things to come from Tom. Reggie had a nice 2nd half with 18.

We got up by 20 and Butler made one little run and cut it to 12 and then the Bills went on another run to sew this victory up. We really needed this win and Coach Soderberg really shortened the bench as apparetly according to the Butler announcers only 7 Billiken players saw action tonight.

Enjoy this win and then get ready to take on Dayton. We should have a better idea where this team is after the last two non-conference games.

Don't understand why we had Josh out there late in the game with a double digit lead, obviously limping on his twisted ankle. The risk of further injury with two tough games coming up was too great, IMHO.

Still reserve judgement til we see how he contributes in these next two games.

Glad to see our own Steve Rogers (SSG) get his moment of fame on the scoreboard with the Hardees Burger promotion. You done us proud, boy!

Official Billikens.com sponsor of John Duff

Outstanding defensive effort by Izik tonight. As Rammer said after the game, it won't show in the box score, but he shut down Butler's top scorer (who went 1 for 8 with 0 rebounds). This, despite THREE traveling calls in the first several minutes. One was so bad, I thought he had just decided that dribbling was beneath him as he ran to the basket like Marshall Faulk.

Drejaj found his shot too (thank God!!). Had several nice outside shots and moved the ball around well.

After a slow first half, Reggie had another good game. Frericks, however, really had a great game and I think only had two fouls, BUT he must pick up his free throw shooting for us to win against tougher teams.

Josh Fisher really hurt his leg, ankle, or knee and had to crawl of the court. He did come back and appeared to be fine. Anyone know what happened???

Interesting note: SLU Sign Guy aka Steve R. won the Hardees Burger race which, I think, entitles him to a lifetime of free burgers from Hardees and a Ferrari.

Ohanon, Izik........ 28

Sloan, Chris........ 33

Frericks, Tom....... 22

Fisher, Josh........ 34

Bryant, Reggie...... 36

Drejaj, Anthony..... 26

Varner, Ross........ 21

Only 7 Bills got time. I was disappointed to see that JJ got no minutes while Ross got 21. However, he took only 1 shot in those 21 minutes (he has obviously been told to turn the ball over to Reggie and, apparently, has heard the message). Drejaj was 5-8 from the field, 3-5 from behind the arc. His ankle must be better as he found his shot.

This was a great all-around game. It was great to see Drejaj and Frericks break out in the same game.

Once thing I noticed tonight that may explain some of our offensive troubles is that our point guard, Josh Fisher, almost never feeds the post. Late in the first half and early in the second half (before Josh was injured), Tom was on a serious role. It was apparent that Butler could not stop him. Regardless, on several ocassions Josh past up relatively easy opportunities to feed Tom in the post. Before anyone claims this was a coaching decision, Brad pointed out in the postgame show that his top priority this game was to feed the post. It is disturbing that Izik, Bryant, and Sloan--not Fisher--are the ones feeding the post. As I pointed out a few days ago, JF is a very good basketball player, but he is not a great point guard. The absence of a true point guard will hurt this team throughout the year.

Nark,

You won't get much argument out of me. I like Fish too but he is not your typical PG, but instead is playing the position out of necessity. Having said that I hope he is good to go for the Dayton tussle, as we need him to play his stellar defensive game and chip in with whatever he can on offense. It's not like we have an a star player to step into his spot if his injury is serious.

David,

I did not think that you were trying to diss Fish as I wasn't either. In the perfect world, Fish would be a wing and we would have the prototypical PG. I'm certainly OK with Coach playing him at the PG because he is our best option this year.

Check out the Dayton Schedule they haven't really played anyone besides Cincy and they got spanked by them. Cincy was their first away game. Dayton maybe overrated as they really haven't been tested but once. We can win that game.

Thanks to UncaSoderberger for the tix he does have primo seats.

Butler is usually a good defensive team I think their opp avg about 50 ppg and they only avg 53 ppg. I wish we could have stopped #21 he would get a little screen and hit the 3 everytime. I wanted to see Izik take his man from the perimeter a few times. I wish we would run that clear out play for him every now and then (and for Reggie too). We should feed the ball to Frericks as much as possible. It seemed that Sodeberg was really using this game to coach some key points to his main players. I don't know if he is always like that b/c I haven't been to that many games. Maybe he feels he needs to shorten his bench and play that way this year I would think that by now he would know which combinations he likes/work. I would like to see JJ and DC more but I like to see Ws so whatever works. IV could come in and be the 8th man in that 8 man rotation.

I'd like the 8 man rotation better if, and when, RV moves to the bench JJ gets his minutes and we'll keep our fingers crossed that Ian turns out to be as good as Coach has hyped him...it may just take him this year to sort of get his feet wet in how D-1 ball is played.

I don't think you will see too many direct feeds from a guarded JF at the top of the key into TF at a low post position. If the post defender is 6-6 or so, and if TF has his defender locked on his free throw line side hip, you may see a lob pass to TF at best. (I don't see lobs working against big, athletic teams like Memphis.)

I think you will see, by design, most of the low post feeds coming from someone at a wing position or from a baseline position, or from someone driving to the rim and dishing off to a post player.

When SLU's bigs practice low post feeds, the ball generally comes as a bounce pass from the wing or below.

I agree with your point; however, the failed passes I was referring to all involved Josh having the ball on the wing, not the top of the key. When Tom has good position on a defender in the low block, our guards must find a way to get him the ball. Good post play creates many slashing and outside shot opportunities.

Does Brad preach this at practice?

One of IO's travels he was pushed from behind causing the extra steps. I would sure like to see us get him the ball inside more. He can use his height and quickness over most people guarding him.

I am really glad to see people agree with me on JF ... he is a good player but clearly out of position. ( again I really do commend JF for being a true team player ... he will do whatever the coach deems he needs to do for us to win ... a ririty in todays world of me players ). I have been going back and forth with westcoast baller on the JF issue.

JF hurt his anke ... he was getting treatment in the tunnel behind the Bills bench. He told the trainer it was ok after walking and stretching on it. He looked to be favoring it on the floor when he went back in.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Fish wasn't getting it into the post but everyone else was. As long as Tom gets touches I don't really care who gives him the ball. Frericks is really impressing me, he has some real post skills the the Bills have not had in a long time.

Izik was great.

We certainly had a hard time getting around screens, especially Drejaj and Fish. I thought many times Butler was using illegal screens but the refs did not make it a point to call them after about 2 minutes into the game.

while josh may not get the ball to frericks directly from the top of the key, i remember 4 very nice passes that josh had to frericks and izik last nite on drives to the basket that he passed off to them. izik missed one and frericks missed one when he was fouled. frericks converted the other two. so half of josh's assists last nite were on passes to the inside.

also, i purposely watched josh on drives last nite since a few of you made a big deal about saying he doesnt go right. while it is obvious he would rather go left, he indeed did score once on a drive right and he also went right enough that i wouldnt say he is soley a left hand player. remember, there is nothing wrong with going with your strong hand if you beat your man. in fact if you do or can, you would be foolish NOT to take your man with your strongest stuff.

i was upset we put josh back in the game after he turned his ankle. we had the game in hand, why risk agravation? i just didnt get that. in fact he obviously couldnt jump or cut after that so what was the point? izik was having a gold star night, i would have given the time to izik.

frericks was fantastic last nite. if frericks does that the rest of the way, that alone might be enough to guide the billikens to a 20 win season. heck that would be all-conference numbers. the problem is that it is really the first time he has had such a dominating night.

izik was great defensively last nite. shut down their best player. who'd a thought? now why cant we get that every game? plus, i would bet that izik would also get the scorers touch back as well. another reason the billikens played the best game of the year thus far.

now the question is, which izik and frericks are the real one?

other points from last night. it is hard to pick out as there have been so many of them, but i truly think that last night might have been guy phillips worst ever. what was with the engagement thing? how many names did he screw up last nite? and the sarcasm towards contestants and the crowd last night was unbearable. why do they think we want that guy behind the microphone?

how about the athletic dept taking down the "butler is stoopid" sign? i thought that was great fun. and in reality clever since it came back to the student with the sign with the wrong spelling. and they wonder why the kids dont want to come.

anyone else think the high school baby blues were better in all ways?

if guy hadnt given that kid the bike i would have been upset.

steve, great job on the hardees race? that said, is that the worst promotion in the world? however, it was neat to see thicks honored on the shirt. our own thicks is famous.

back to basketball, what was the deal with brad's preseason message on the scoreboard with the goat wiskers? he had them cut off for the game. might have been a different look brad. of course if mrs soderberg didnt like them, you did what you had to do! ;-)

drejaj had a nice all around game. man the kid is a battler.

i thought brad came closer to using varner correctly last night. still about 8-10 min too much, but if you noticed, it seemed he was only in for bursts to give frericks and sloan breaks.

again, highlight of the night for me was the play of frericks and izik. if those two play like that the rest of the year and our 4 tops play as usual, we will be ok.