Point Guard picks Mizzou

The Dallas Morning News reported Jason Horton has verbally committed to Mizzou. Jason averaged 16.8 and 6.5 apg as a junior, leading Cedar Hill to a record of 30-3 last season. He is the younger brother of Michigan standout Daniel Horton. Arizona St, Arkansas, and Florida were also in the race for Horton. Horton said he picked Mizzou because they play in Texas 4 times a year in Big 12 play and he liked coach Snyder's up-tempo style of play.

I saw Jason play as a sophmore, he was solid but not spectacular. I figured you all would be interested, since many of the posters here have some tie to Mizzou (whether hate or friendly). I for one will be very interested in comparing our new lead guard (Polk) to Horton over their careers at each of their respective schools.

Jeez who know this would cause a freakin outlash at my news I'd pass along. Apparently the last paragraph and last sentence really didn't get noticed...MY POINT was to see how these two guys would compare over their careers. And please, I am not the first nor the last to mention something about Mizzou on this freakin board. My loyalty to the Billikens should not be at the stakes here. I was one of the few students who showed up to every home game for 4 years, I posted numerous PRO billiken posts as well as posts against Mizzou and their program, so PLEASE do not confuse me for someone who is bombarding this site with Tiger crap...it was merely an informational piece trying to compare two recruits who play the same position. We hear all the time about other recruits, as well as Mizzou recruits, so don't put it all on my post, because that is just ridiculous.

I agree with you BillikenTX. As sad as it seems Mizzou is dominating the college bball news. He is certainly not the only one starting or contributing to a Mizzou thread.

My question would be ... what is wrong with these kids, why would they commit to Mizzou given the current situation. It shocks me.

Now if they get put on probation ... these kids should not complain ... there is no way they didn't know the possibilities when they committed. Hopefully they will think twice before signing day.

i had a discussion with a couple of gentlemen yesterday that are not tiger or billiken fans, but are basketball fans. they told me that in reality, this is spreading a feeling in the african american community that snyder is all about helping the kids. he will do whatever it takes to give these kids an opportunity. and the kids and their parents understand he might have to bend the rules to do it. they see it as their way of getting even with society. i am not saying that is true, and i definitely dont agree with it, but in a twisted way, it makes sense. it is like sending a coded message out to the world, if you have special "needs", go to missouri and they will make sure you are taken care of. now it wont work for all recruits. for example, it is my understanding that a couple of summers ago, missouri's under the table activities ultimately cost them maurice ager, who dropped his verbal commit and switched to mich st once harvey and snyder's "methods" were clear. so not all recruits will respond positively to the current happenings. but think about it, the smoke had been swirling for years when tark recruited his best classes and won the national championship. it was only after the ncaa finally had chopped the head off the program and unlv finally forced tark to leave did the program wither. it will take the same to stop missouri. warnings and close calls wont stop it.

from this board it may be from the Demtrious Johnson All-Star game a month ago. If you'll remember the coach of the National team was Jason's dad although Jason's dad was otherwise unaffiliated with the national team. Much like how Demetrius flies in Billiken and Mizzou recruits to play in this game, he specially brought Mr. Horton in to coach the game.

Now technically there is nothing illegal with this scenario but if people can't realize that there is something immoral about a "charity" paying for the flight and hotel room of an out of town coach when a local guy could have done it for free then they are blind. And if Mr. Horton received an "appearance fee" for coaching then Mizzou did nothing but launder payments to Jason through the Demetrious Johnson charitable foundation to Jason's father.

Now, if Jason's father received no appearance fee and paid for his own flight and hotel room then I will agree there is no problem. But knowing Mizzou, I kind of doubt it.

If .. and its a big if because frankly I don't know .... but if the scenario you describe above is factual as opposed to speculation (do we really know who paid for what), then this just seems to be another one of those "gray" areas Mizzou might be wandering into.

I don't get this though ..... it sounds like Billiken and Mizzou commitments get brought in for this. This would be the Husaks and Clarkes and I recall the thread that described the game. However, these are signed LOI kids, right? High schoolers? Not JUCOs like Morris or Frericks. Seniors? How does it work for an uncomitted junior? How does a kid like Horton (or anyone else for that matter) get into these things as described? I can see a local all star team ... the Blake Ahearns of the local area versus a "national" team of kids coming to local schools or whatever, but I do not understand how an uncommitted junior recruit and his dad get there? Anyone?

Seems to be a recruiting trick to me, no matter who uses it.

just his dad who was such a special coach he had to be brought in from Texas for a charity game.

Who paid for what is just speculation on my part and if Mr. Horton paid for everything then I have no problem with it. Anything more than that though...

I made have inadvertantly ( a first!!!) read something into Kshoe's post ...... I am commenting on his saying that the dad coached there and I must have figured the kid was there as well. I guess I figured one would be with the other so my bad if wrong .....

I'll defer the ultimate correction to kshoe, and pardon my extrapolations.

Where do you remember seeing that Jason Horton was there or in the game? To my knowledge, only Jason's dad, who is an AAU coach, was at the all-star game. Jason definitely wasn't on the team (but I'm sure he will be next summer).

I have no problem with Demetrious Johnson's flying in players and a coach and paying their expenses. Why should it really matter who the coach is? If DJ wants to honor certain people, he has as much right to do that as he does to choose the players he invites. As for his inviting the father of a future Mizzou recruit, I think it's shrewd move, so long as it was his independent decision, and not something Quin Snyder "suggested" he do. That would make Johnson an athletics representative and would make his actions wrong. I'm not willing to levy that charge, however.

I think SLU fans are just envious that there's no SLU alum who could perform such a shrewd maneuver in Saint Louis U.'s favor. Why eat those sour grapes?

Box and Won, did you let go of your hatred of Mizzou long enough to read the last paragraph? He made Missouri recruiting relevant to SLU by suggesting we keep an eye on Horton and compare him to SLU recruit Dwayne Polk. Comparison: It's further along in the Bloom's Taxonomy than knowledge and comprehension. (See http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/hrd/bloom.html -- look under Analysis.)

I don't hate Mizzou, but I also don't come to this site to learn more about what's going on with the basketball program there. I'm probably one of the few people on this board who is not concerned with the Tigers or their fans.

I also don't think there's any reason to closely follow Horton's career and compare it to Polk's. Had we been recruiting Horton, a comparison may have been relevant and interesting. If you want to compare Pulley, someone who had ties to the Billiken program, to Brandon Morris, that's actually interesting - you could see how Pulley may have contributed to our current team and tell if we would be better off with him or Morris. But if you're going to follow Horton and compare him to Polk, you might as well follow PGs at Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, SIUC or any other school.

Lets say I own a car lot, and of my own accord, bring in the dad of a potential SLU recruit to work on my lot, is that ok. Even though I am a SLU booster.

If so ... why would a school ever pay a player? Why not just funnel the cash through his parents?

I'm sure most of our recruits parents jobs could be tied to the profession of one booster or another.

I don't know the facts ... but if DJ picked this kids dad to come here and coach out of the blue ... and paid him ... and then the kid commits to Mizzou .....hmmmm.

Maybe it is all on the up and up ... but with Mizzou's record of skating the boundries .... they leave themselves open to scrutiny

Do I see the point? No. I think it's a waste of time. We might as well compare every player on Mizzou's roster to every player on our roster while we're at it. I think it would be worthwhile to compare Polk to PGs recruited by other schools in our conference, teams we actually play, but not to Horton.

i brought this scenario up right after the game and was more or less labeled paranoid. however now that the ax has actually fell, it makes perfect sense. one player bought and paid for via an minimum an extravangent weekend vacation trip to st louis from texas. hard telling what kind of goodies awaited mr horton in his hotel room upon arrival.

i tend to agree with box and won. horton never considered st louis for a second. the comparison to fix on is the next two years of drejaj, pulley, and morris. there is the triangle of "what if's". (pardon my use of the 3 sided word)

They are the arrogant, cheating, bully to the west. I'm more interested in their players than in Southern Miss's players. especially when they come in hyped to the 9s and then fail miserably like Chia-pet. Hopefully this horton character won't strangle any body, have a mediocre career at MU and graduate to work for a major metropolitan news paper in some other city. NOT ST. LOUIS!!!! PLEASE GOD NOT ST. LOUIS!!!!!