Shaw to decide this week

Well, that is good news. It would be great to keep this recruiting momentum going. Question: How good is Shaw? If only SLU and SIU are going after this kid, I'm just curious how good he really is. I have obviously never seen the kid play, but have seen his name mentioned a lot on this board. Would Shaw be a "great get" (like Liddell) or could you see him being more of a role player for the Billikens?

I don't know how highly he is rated. I leave that to people who check those websites out like 3 star and BRoy. However, IMO he would certainly fill out a need for another inside player especially considering that Chris Sloan will be graduating. From everything that I have read about Shaw, he is a solid player.

It may depend upon whether he grows another inch or two. (It is rumored that he is still growing.) Matt can probably be a good player as is, but he could potentially be a great player if he grows a little bit more.

There you go...Willie makes an excellent point as some of the regulars like him better than Grimes if that tells you anything...Grimes is a higher rated player...that is why I don't particularly think a lot of ratings...no one can tell me what is in a kids heart.

I do have a question about Shaw's true height. What is it and I assume that he is what 16-17 yrs old, so he could be 6'8" before he is finished growing???

is 6'6 based on what others have reported on the board. But let's remember that Charles Barkley was only 6'4. Bonner was only 6'6 and Byron Houston of Okla St and NBA was only 6'6.

as willie says below, he is the better player between him and grimes right now. but honestly, if you see the two standing together, you would never think that to be the case. matt gets it done on athleticism, guts and desire. imo, look at the credible job that chris sloan has done as pf the last 2 seasons and i have to believe that matt will surpass that. he has sloan's body and same guts and desire, plus, he has the advantage of already playing inside which chris never did until romar stuck him there.

how tall is he really? i have always been amazed that 2 inches (hold your fingers apart two inches) can make the difference between slu and siu or north carolina and kansas. now if we were talking 6 inches (ala donnie dobbs) that would be a stretch that isnt accomplished often.

one last note, aj brought up byron houston. my memory serves me correctly, after his all-american career at ok state, i remember when he was measured for the nba draft he shrunk like 5 inches. was only listed as 6'3" or something like that. he immediately went from lottery to late rounds. never understood that. if he was enough to be an all-american, what does it matter?

Matt Shaw is 6-foot-6 or 6-7. Take your pick.

He is being recruited as a power forward.

It's not fair to say Shaw took minutes away from Grimes. All of the big men rotated on the Eagles, including Tyler Hansbrough and whoever the team had to play inside from tournament to tournament. I think Shaw, Grimes and Hansbrough each played about the same amount of minutes and all three of them played well.

I think he'll be a good player wherever he goes to college. I could see him coming off the bench as a freshman for SLU and doing a good job. He'd bring energy and he's willing to do the dirty work. He's also a good leaper for someone his size, so I think he'll be fine covering other power forwards.

Shaw would be the perfect fit for SLU in the 2004-05 recruiting class.

- Nate

I think Matt Shaw would certainly be a solid "get" for this team and make our recruiting class just that much more solid. Granted, I've never seen him play, but from what everyone says, he sounds like he would be a very nice addition to this team. The height (or lack there of) doesn't really bother me at all since Sloan does a decent job and Jeff Harris was a very nice player for this program and neither one of them are "skyscrapers." Just out of curiosity though, if he did grow an inch or two more, do you think more big time programs would be afer him?

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Is is possible you wear too many hats? By being on this board, you might be considered a SLU booster. Could that limit you as to when, where, and how you talk to potential SLU recruits? Common sense would indicate that your profession exempts you, but to use common sense and the NCAA in the same sentence is maybe not so sensible...Glad to have you on the board with your insights, and not looking for trouble...

I don't wear many hats.

I don't think I could ever be considered a SLU booster. I also post on the Mizzou Talk and Prep Sports Talk message boards on the stltoday.com site. I am not a Missouri booster either.

I once tried to convince Kobe Bryant to go to Penn State. That was the end of my "booster" days.

I only visit this site to share whatever insight I may have on subjects like recruiting and local high school basketball players. I consider it part of my job to share that information.

- Nate

this is straight from slubillikens.com http://slubillikens.ocsn.com/boosters/stlo...guidelines.html

NCAA Booster Guidelines

Are You A Representative Of The University's Athletics Interest?

You are considered a "Representative of the University's Athletics Interests" (a booster) if you:

Are or have been a member of any organization promoting the SLU Athletics Departments.

Have ever made a donation to the Athletics Departments, to a men's or women's athletic program, or to any booster organization.

Have ever assisted in evaluating or recruiting prospects.

Have ever helped to arrange or have provided employment to enrolled student-athletes, prospects, or a prospect's parents or relatives.

Have promoted the University's athletics programs.

Once you become a Representative of the University's Athletics Interests, YOU retain this status FOREVER!

As a "Representative of the University's Athletics Interests," you are bound by NCAA, C-USA and Saint Louis University rules. Saint Louis University is RESPONSIBLE for your actions!

Five Rules Of Thumb For Friends Of SLU Athletics:

(1) Only coaches and athletic department staff members can be involved in the recruiting process.

(2) A prospect remains a prospect even after signing a National Letter of Intent or financial aid agreement to attend the University. The prospect's status does not change until initial full-time enrollment at the University or until the prospect begins official team practice immediately prior to the start of classes.

(3) Do not provide any "extra benefits" or make special arrangements for the prospect or to an enrolled student-athlete.

(4) You can assist the coaching staff in the recruiting process by notifying them of any student you think would be a strong addition to the institution's athletic program. The coach can then make the appropriate contact with the prospect.

(5) As an athletics representative, you are not precluded from continuing friendships with the families of prospective or enrolled student-athletes. You simply cannot encourage a prospect's participation in a specific institution's athletics program or provide benefits to student-athletes that you were not providing before they became prospects or enrolled student-athletes.

i see nothing in the above that nate has done.

Any idea yet on what day Shaw is going to announce? Nate, have you called him yet? Hopefully playing on the Eagles with Liddell will help our chances. Just wondering if anyone knows anything new on the situation?

We hail Saint Louis U."

The Telep site linked above shows the different schools of interest. It is interesting that it shows Stanford as having made an offer to Matt Shaw (in fact almost all of the schools listed show an offer being made). Is this an error? In any event, he seems to be an intelligent, dedicated player who would be an asset to the program.

Shempie posted the latest Shaw recruiting article on Valleytalk.net. It doesn't look good. Excerpt:

The 6-foot-6, 218-pound Shaw was on the campus of Southern Illinois this past weekend.

“It went pretty well,†Shaw said. “I like the coaches a lot. I like the program a lot. It is impressive.â€

Shaw’s visit to Stanford the weekend before did not go as well.

“It went fairly well,†he said. “I liked the campus and school a lot, but I didn’t get a real good feel. I felt awkward and a little out of place. It is down to St. Louis and Carbondale [southern Illinois]. I will make a decision in the next day or two.â€

After his in-home visits, Shaw indicated that Southern Illinois had a slight edge over the other schools recruiting him. Nothing seems to have changed their position.

The reference to SIU-C having the "slight edge" is based upon the in-home visits that took place at least a month ago. The comittments of Liddell and Meyer have both taken place since then. The article really doesn't provide any feedback regarding Shaw's SLU visit.

If we don't pick up Shaw, I will not be overly disappointed. No knock on Shaw as he seems like a fantastic player, but I was looking for something else in this recruiting class. That something was the fact that Brad focused on the players he wanted and actually GOT them. We've been talking about Liddell on here for what seems like forever, and due to all the Romar let downs, I never thought he would commit to us. Brad has shown the ability to go after the kids he wants and get them to commit. I'm very happy about that....

That's exactly what I was thinking Nark, although I thought Meyer had already committed by then? Well anyway, I would think the Liddell commitment would have some sort of impact on Shaw's decision and I would think it would be a positive one.

We hail Saint Louis U."