Is it just me or does anyone else.....

Basketbill

you know if the big 10 swoops in and takes syracuse or pitt, i wouldnt be surprised if the whole league falls apart. if cusa was smart they would be trying to turn this around right now.

the result for the billikens would be the papal conference. we need to root for the big ten to grab a team.

imo it sets up the merger between the two conferences. whereas the basketball schools become one conference and the remaining football schools become a different one.

Not as long as football continues to control the NCAA and the $$$$ the way it is right now. An all basketball/no football confernece would be relegated to 2nd division status.

The Big Ten is happy with 11. The only school they would realistically invite to join as a 12th member is Notre Dame (the team that makes sense is Iowa State but that won't happen). However, right now ND may realize that they have to join a conference and with their NBC contract may take that and join the Big East as a football member to save their BCS berth and get the Big East on NBC. Let's face it, ND would be a consistant powerhouse in the Big East football conference.

When the Big East football schools split away in a few years, there will be seven catholic schools sans football looking to strengthen their national position. A 12-team papal (or mostly papal) conference will be a real possibility then. Football will hardly be factored into the analysis at that time.

Would ND want anything to do with the joke of a football league that the Big (L)East has become? If they are going to any league, the only thing that truly makes any sense at all is the Big 10. If that doesn't happen then I see the Golden Domers remaining an independent in football.

The Big East has pilfered more teams from conferences than nearly any other. West Virginia, Rutgers, VPI (Va Tech), Pitt, Villanova (still is a football member) were all one time members of the Eastern 8/Atlantic 10. Penn St. was an East 8/Atlantic 10 basketball team as well.

The funniest part though is the BC President was a strong supporter of the $5 million exit fee for the Big East when it looked (temporarily) that the ACC lost interest in BC.

And the remaining Big East schools have filed (another) lawsuit against BC.

Hypocrisy is indeed the greatest luxury.

According to Sportsline, ND may feel pressued to join a conference because of the reshaping of college football and the increasing chance that they may lose their currently guaranteed BCS spot.

"Tyrone Williingham's Irish might have to join a conference to have a better shot at playing in a BCS bowl." (today's Sportsline).

ND is the east coast's football team, they always have been. Why not join the Big East where they're virtually guaranteed of being a contender for that BCS berth every year as opposed to the Big Ten where they'd get their a**es handed to them annually (0-3 v. the Big Ten this year). Plus, in the Big East ND would be in almost total control, something the Irish covet and would not be possible in the Big Ten.

Unfortunately for SLU and other non-football schools, if a split does occur you may have a similar system to the BCS formed in football and non-football conferences would be left on the outside looking in. The NIT might become the only option for those schools and conferences. Imagine it, a top 10 Marquette team left out of the NCAA tourney because they're not in a BCS affiliated conference but a 14-15 Nebraska team invited because they are. Unless something happens soon that might be reality in a few years.

Again, the only conference that makes any sense at all for ND to join is the Big 10, as they are a BCS league. Are you going to try and tell me what is left of the Big (L)East from a football perspective is truly worthy of BCS recognition??? If so, you and I will just agree to disagree on that issue.

Thicks,

I kind of wonder if you aren't on to something with your take regarding basketball. TV is a HUGE reason for the popularity of the NCAA Big Dance. Much of the allure has to do with selection Sunday when we get to see who goes and who gets screwed in the selection process to get to the 65 teams. I think if they go to another divsion then the goose that laid the golden egg, and we are talking megabucks here may be no more. Somehow, I'm not sure that I see that happening either.

blaw, that is the first time I ever heard ND being referred to as "the east coast football team".

The good nuns and brothers that I had always called Notre Dame a national team. I doubt the ND fans in Chicago or St. Louis or California see ND as an east coast team. If the east coast football fans are claiming ND for their own, they are a narrow-minded bunch!

Billiken Law just seems to be trying to defend MU's money grab to the Big (L)East. However, trying to lump the National ND team in that house of cards football league and call them an Eastern team is a JOKE! Good to see some others on this website think it is fantasy land too!

imo there are ONLY 2 ways notre dame is ever in a football conference. first, is if nbc takes away that sweet tv package. until then, they would be foolish to split that with other teams. i guess if a conference wanted to they could let notre dame keep their separate tv package, however, the chances of any top conference not letting their ego get in the way of that one is slim and none.

second is if the bcs people tell notre dame they cannot be in the bcs system unless they are in a conference. by being left out of the bcs system, most likely nbc loses interest and then see reason one above.

Ever listen to Tony Korheiser? He grew up on Long Island and he often refers to ND as THE team on the East Coast in terms of general fan interest and media coverage. Where do you think the term "Subway Alums" come from? On the East Coast the #1 team is ND. This has nothing to do with Marquette, it's a fact of life. On the East Coast in the major media markets (NYC, Boston, Philly) the team of choice is ND first, everyone else second.

i will say that if n.d. did not have national appeal, not just midwest, they wouldnt have the tv deal that they have.

I'm not denying ND's national appeal - never said they weren't a "national team." However, in many areas they aren't the #1 team in their market (SEC country, most of Big Ten country, Big 12 country, PAC 10 country). However, on the East Coast ND is the top team in terms of interest and fan base.

ND is not the biggest college football team in the Boston market (BC, of course,is). That said, ND is a close 2nd and their games are broadcast on the radio in Boston (which I still find very weird) and a few other New England stations.

Not going to debate that ND maybe the top team in NY, Philly, Boston but South of the Mason Dixon Line they are definitely not the top team. Last time I checked VA, NC, SC, GA and FL were all on the East Coast as well.

The New Big Least would not be a high powered football league and the ND program would suffer. However, I am not a fan of Notre Shame and don't really care if they suffer or not.

If anything I think that the teams leaving the Big East will encourage ND to stay independent. There is a good chance that the Big East will lose its BCS bid, opening up another at-large spot. Also there is talk of making the Cotton Bowl part of the BCS, which would then allow 10 teams to be in it, only 5 automatic berths. Even if that doesn't happen, I think ND will stay independent for the simple reason of they get as much money as any other school in the nation from their current tv deal and schedule, have a good shot at a bowl game because of their national appeal, and also don't have to share any of their profits. If they join a conference like the Big East, some of their profits will have to go to the lower teams of the conference that actually bring Notre Dame down. I think the Big East is done. CUSA should add teams like Syracuse and Pittsburgh will the option is open and maybe let some of their western schools go to the WAC. Unfortunately it looks like CUSA is going to sit around and wait for the Big East to decide what to do instead of making the first move themselves.