Ball State transfer claims offer from St. Louis

and Northern Iowa. His name is Pat Nelson and he's a 6'10 230 lb center. He was considered one of the top 30 prospects in the state of Illinois in 2005 but had an underwhelming freshman campaign at Ball State.

http://www.chicagohoops.com/articles1/brianstinnette18.html

Here's an article written around the time of his commitment to Ball State. Sounds like all defense and no offense a la John Seyfert.

http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...322/1001/SPORTS

A guy on there claims that Nelson told him he's going to SLU.

Not to bring everyone down, but since Maurice Acker decided to transfer from BSU to MU, I've been following the Ball State board a bit, and the locals there are not very high on Nelson. I have no idea what sort of a high-major prospect he would be...

http://www.bsufans.com/modules.php?op=modl...c&topic=10179&1

MUViking - SLU has 2 more schollies left - one is set aside for Lance Stemler and the other is still up for grabs unless Brad has offered it someone else we don't know about.

I also wonder if IV's development has raised some eyebrows among big men who don't seem to be developing where they are. It could be that SLU could start getting a bit of a name for itself in this area.

what trouble we'll be in if Ian doesn't come back. However, a transfer at his position doesn't forshadow anything as he will have no ability to play next season.

If anything, it suggests that the coaches feel Ian will be back as we are potentially using one of our last schollys (god willing and Stemmler chooses us, our last scholly) on someone that we know can't replace Ian. While it is true that if Ian leaves in a month and a half another scholarship will open but by that time even fewer potential replacements will be available.

I'd be much more worried if we no were rumored to be recruiting marginal JUCO centers that could step in immediately.

Its hard for me to imagine that SLU is gaining a reputation as a great developer of big-men considering how little development we've seen out of all the PFs we've had. Additionally, a sizeable portion of Ian's development has to be credited with his international play as thats where he's spent the past two summers.

My mistake. I assumed with the Knollmeyer commitment that there was just one scholarship available and you guys were hoping Stemler would be that guy. I'll go back over there and change that. Thanks.

Again, the BSU fans pretty much ripped Nelson once he said he was leaving. He's apparently pretty raw, but if SLU is offering, he has to have some potential. A redshirt year can really help big kids too, as you guys I'm sure know. At MU, I'd point to Amal McCaskill for direct proof of that.

Don't minimize the improvement Husak has made....he is kind of stuck behind an All-conference kid right now....JJ has improved physically, but his problem is his intensity. Chris Sloan became a servicable 4 man. We got some quality play out of Luke last year (see Charlotte and Xavier games)

as far as Ball State goes....Angres Thorpe used to coach there

Here's his bio:

http://www.ballstatesports.com/profile/0,1...8561-6-,00.html

Link to stats:

http://www.ballstatesports.com/media/html/...ll/teamcume.htm

Got quite a few minutes for a frosh. FT shooting needs to improve - kid makes Shaq look like Blake Ahern.

You can't teach 6-10 and by the time he's eligible Ian would have run out of eligibility.

He may get beat up on during his redshirt year, which would be fine....

remember Ian's stats as a freshman?

21 GP, 7 starts

10.5 Min/game

2.2 PPG

1.7 RPG

39.1% FG%

76.9% FT%

Nelson's frosh stats at BSU:

27 GP, 7 starts

14.4 Min/game

1.3 PPG

1.5 RPG

40.0% FG%

36.4% FG%

Tim Buckley, the former head coach at Ball State, and Brad Soderberg are good friends. I suspect that Buckley gave Coach Soderberg an honest evaluation of Pat Nelson's strengths and weaknesses. I would think that SLU got Ball State game tape to evaluate Nelson from that angle. I also suspect that Buckley may have spoken favorably about Coach Soderberg to Pat Nelson and his family.

I would suspect that Pat Nelson got a recruiting letter or two from SLU will he was in high school. Since Rockford, Illinois is reasonably close to Madison, Wisconsin, I also suspect that the Nelson family knew of Coach Soderberg when he was at Wisconsin.

The Spring semester will be completed at Ball State on May 5. Official transcripts should be available shortly thereafter. If the interest between SLU and Nelson is mutual, we may read about in the P-D in the next few days.