Ian

SShoe

I just think there's no way Ian will not be back next year. As Frank, Brian, and Bob are discussing it's Ian trying to get an idea about where he is and what he needs to do to jump up the draft charts. However, in no way is he ready for the NBA at this point.

April 25, 2006

Men’s Basketball

VOUYOUKAS DECLARES FOR NBA DRAFT

ST. LOUISâ€â€Saint Louis head men’s basketball coach Brad Soderberg today announced that junior center Ian Vouyoukas (Athens, Greece) has declared his eligibility for the National Basketball Association June draft. Vouyoukas has not hired an agent and has kept open the option of returning for his senior season. He has until June 18 to remove his name from the early entry list.

“Ian’s dream, and that of virtually every player in college basketball, is to one day play in the NBA,†Soderberg said. “We fully support Ian’s desire to be a professional and are happy there is a mechanism that allows him to gauge his draft status.â€Â

The 2006 NBA Pre-Draft Camp will be held June 6-10 at Disney’s Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Fla. The Pre-Draft Camp annually invites prospects to work out and be evaluated by league coaches, general managers, scouts and front office personnel. Vouyoukas has not yet received an invitation to attend but anticipates the opportunity to work out for individual teams.

“After a solid season this year, I would like to see where I stand as a player and realistically judge my ability in relation to the NBA draft,†Vouyoukas said. “It has been my lifelong dream to pursue an NBA career. My family and I believe now is the best time to utilize the process that is available to us and keep my option open to continue my career at Saint Louis.â€Â

After his breakout junior year, the 6-foot-10, 270-pound Vouyoukas was named the Billikens’ Most Valuable Player, selected first-team All-Atlantic 10 Conference and received the A-10’s Chris Daniels Most Improved Player award. He ranked 14th in the A-10 in scoring at 13.9 points per game, sixth in rebounding at 7.4 rebounds per game, fourth in blocked shots at 1.9 blocks per game and 13th in free throw percentage at .725. He shot 54.8 percent from the field, which would have led the A-10 but did not meet the minimum made.

Vouyoukas holds the Bills’ team record for blocked shots by a junior with 55, which ranked third on the Bills’ all-time single-season list. When Vouyoukas blocked five shots against Chicago State, it was the first time that a Billiken had blocked five or more shots since Melvin Robinson rejected six Eastern Illinois shots on Nov. 30, 1989. Vouyoukas replicated the feat by blocking five in the first half against Xavier at Savvis Center.

The Billikens finished 16-13 overall in their inaugural season in the A-10 in 2005-06 and tied for third in the league race with a 10-6 mark.

 www.slubillikens.com â€â€

Can't fault him. I just hope there's no agent out there that twists his mind and says, "you'll be drafted". Does anyone think he's really NBA material at this point? I'd say no, but why not figure it out without incurring a penalty.

I am not sure of what Ian was like as a freshman but I would venture to say rawness is a genetic trait. Alex is tall and he loves the perimeter, but his body is probably more suited to be an in the paint type of player. He needs a bit of work and some toughness, but he could transform into a pretty good player like his brother did.

tdell, you were right. thanks for the info. it makes sense. i just hope the wrong people dont put thoughts in his head. i would hope either coach soderberg goes with him or we send coach thorpe with him at the camps.

tdell, do you know the freshman center, will lawson, who is a freshmen at althoff? any background as to family or relation that played before and how big they were? it seems will has the potential to become a legit 6'8" or bigger and the body to go with it adn i was curious if he has the people around him.

>I have met Alex and worked him out a few times. But I am

>pretty sure he is a 2008 kid.

That was my impression as well, that the kid was a 2008 recruit.

But the guy on the radio said without hesitation that Ian's brother was thinking of coming to SLU and redshirting next year. If Alex is qualified to attend college, why wouldn't the kid want to spend a year with his brother and prepare himself for playing college ball in the USA? Sounds like a great plan to me. Get acclimated to school and college in the USA and hang with his brother for a year!

I have heard that to 1. Beat any other school to the punch 2. Get him ready to play college ball that SLU would consider bringing Ian's brother over here a year early and redshirting him. He can qualify for college most definetely so I say why not. Another year of him in Greece probably doesn't help his development and allows other schools the time to evaluate and recruit him more.

Brian Stull interviewed both Ian and Soderberg this afternoon. Inerview will air during the 6- 630 segment of Sports Overdrive tonight on am 920 WGNU. Out of towners can tune in at WGNU.net.

I dont know Lawson,a while back I posted a topic "Is Jimmy McKinny a N.B.A. prospect"?Everybody said no.Jimmy was at SLU's open gym last Saturday, he said he has 11 invitions to NBA tryouts.I think Ian might get drafted which means another losing season for us (SLU)

Even with the lack of true 5s in the draft, I still don't think Ian is a first rounder. Jimmy will get plenty of tryout invites, though he will be the one passing out water to the players, not one of the players. Jimmy has USBL written all over him.

Ian took a little time to grow into his body some. It could just be general experience from being a Freshman to Sophomore to Junior, but he just needed some time to get his body physically to its potential. If a Big Man can wait it out as long as possible before playing College ball, I think it is better. But one of the experts can chime in on this.

the nba draft is all about potential. they couldnt care less if a player is "ready". that said, the fact is that even though ian worked very hard on getting in better shape and stronger, he still appears to be undersized and needing to be even faster, stronger and showing out court skills imo.

i would be shocked if ian gets drafted. however, i believe that ian is going to get a chance to play against the best be coached by some big time nba people and learn exactly what he needs to hear to put himself in the best position one year from now. assuming he takes that to heart, this only bodes well for the billikens as i would assume that ian then takes the necessary steps to try to accomplish what he learns the next month or so the rest of the summer.