Latest on Indiana coach

DoctorB

the Indy Star is now (apparently) reporting that the 2 finalists at Indiana appear to be Gonzaga coach Mark Few (whom I predicted to be ther frontrunner last week) and a surprise candidate: West Virginia coach John Beilein.

The "apparently" is there because there is a lot of innuendo surrounding this search and I guess unless you are in the CIA you really are not privileged enough to know for certain.

according to papers in Indiana. I guess this is Tom Crean's alias, eh Cheeseman?

Add Calipari to list of IU coaching possibilities

Indiana reportedly in negotiations with Memphis coach for vacant job

By Doug Wilson

331-4353 | [email protected]

March 27, 2006

The latest rumor about Indiana’s search for a new basketball coach is that the previous rumors missed IU’s current No. 1 target.

A source close to IU’s athletic department said Sunday the word he’s hearing about the coaching search is that IU is negotiating with Memphis coach John Calipari.

Calipari is seeking an agreement for improvement of IU’s basketball facilities, the source said, and a meeting will be held this week to determine the salary IU can offer.

By the way, "scumapari?" You are mistaken....

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/col/stor...2p-217812c.html

weiss forgot to tell us why scumpari is also innocent in the academic fraud of chris massie who was the first academic all american before even ricky clemons to earn 27 credit hours in one grading period in order to reinstate his academic eligibility.

isnt it a little obvious that he (calipari) is always an innocent victim?

btw, even if the story of the high dollar items being a "girlfriend" of joey dorsey's is true? wasnt he a freshmen at the time? what is a freshmen doing living with a "dancer"? maybe they were in bible study together.

Gee...Dr. B....

You mean 9 out of the first 10 on the list you showed were never serious candidates, imagine that.

The Indy Star has been a day late and a dollar short in this story from the beginning. Few's name was peddled around thbe rumor mill well before last week and he was never a serious candidate.

A "candidate" presumably is someone who has mutual interest between himself and the school.

Courtside: when you make your ingenious responses, it might help if you were to actually read a person's post. Also, since you are so knowledgeable about inside scoops for Indiana sports, tell me where I should look.

The 10 candidates were a list provided by the Indy Star. I only said I believed the 2 inside candidates were Few and Wittman; and that I did not believe Crean was one of them. I will stand by that, with the addition noted above. I said all along I am no more certain about this than anyone else on this board.

But -- if you check the Star today, you will see that there is every indication that Indiana is still pursuing Few. obviously he will deny it publicly, even is he is considering it in private (which he surely is).

As for Calipari: I very much doubt that Indiana would sniff at him.

finally; I am very unclear what all of this hub-bub is about Indiana's "facilities." Seems like a red herring in the big scheme of things. Since I am pretty familiar with those things at Indiana, can someone clarify precisely what that involves??

You said in your other thread, that the probable best source for information was the Indy Star. I would disagree...and not only disagree, would add their coverage of the situation was very late to rpovide any investigative journalism, and after weeks, they put out a fluff 10 person guess/wish list without anything better than that. At that time and after all of that time...it took them a while to get going with any quality coverage. Since you are so familiar with Indy and IU ask your Indy friends their opinions.

I never said I was all knowing. Some things I know and some I don't based on the situation and what first hand experience I have with the situation or people involved. In professional and colegiate sports, it happens to be some. I also didn't come on a message board to say ...see the tip I gave everyone was right, when in fact you didn't give one in the first place.

As for IU's facilities....while having nice character, IU's hoops arena is outdated and so are some of their other facilities relating to the hoops program. In today's college hoops world you need everything you can to compete.

I

For being a lawyer you sure are very literal - must be hard for you. Likely does not mean definitely. Three days before Missouri hired Anderson the likely candidate was Huggins or Alford. Things do change in a couple of days. So any reports like this are just that - real time.

I find this interesting if it becomes true. Indiana the school of Miles Brand is suppose to place of higher learning . Sampson has one of the worst if not the worst graduation rates in college basketball. Doesn't seem like a good fit to me.

ESPN is reporting that Coach Sampson from OU will be the next head coach. Kind of a surprise, but that's a football school and the bball program will always be second.

Should be intersting to see how this goes over, since many believe they wanted a Hoosier.

ALways liked his intensity and had the chance to meet him once, very classy guy.

Sports network reporting:

Report: Kelvin Sampson leaving OU for IU

Bloomington, IN (Sports Network) - Kelvin Sampson has reportedly agreed to leave Oklahoma to take the men's basketball head coaching vacancy at Indiana.

Sampson would replace Mike Davis at the storied program, according to the Bloomington Herald Times, and an official announcement could come as early as Wednesday.

In 12 years at Oklahoma, Sampson has compiled a 279-109 record. The Sooners have been to the postseason every season since he arrived for the 1994-95 campaign and have reached the NCAA Tournament 11 times.

Sampson's tenure in Norman was highlighted by a run to the Final Four in 2002, which ended with a loss to Davis' Indiana squad in the national semifinals.

The North Carolina native guided the Sooners to nine consecutive 20-win seasons and has the highest winning percentage (.719) in school history.

Sampson led Oklahoma to three straight Big 12 Tournament championships (2001-03) and the Sooners played in the title game five times in the last eight campaigns.

The two-time national coach of the year has a career record of 455-257 in 23 years with Oklahoma, Washington State and Montana Tech.

Davis resigned from Indiana in February, but stayed on until the conclusion of the season -- his sixth in Bloomington. Davis felt his shaky job status put unneeded pressure on his players and the Hoosiers responded with a strong finish that ended with a second-round loss to Gonzaga in the NCAA Tournament.

The Indiana job was handed to Davis after Bob Knight was fired on September 10, 2000.

03/28 14:41:35 E

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c.../AEN4012385.htm

i think it is disappointing that indiana is hiring sampson. sampson is running from ou because of the impending investigation of illegal contacts. from most accounts i have read, sampson cant even blame it on assistants going above and beyond legal means. most of the violations were by himself.

couple that with the always horrible ou graduation rates, what does this say for indiana's priorities?

I think we should all credit Dr. B for his tip on Kelvin Sampson. No, it wasn't one of his two original favorites.....and no it wasn't on the list of ten others he kindly posted from the Indy Star. And no, it wasn't one of his two latest favorites....

but let's all join in thanking him anyway....15th time is a charm....eh good Doc?

;-)

I am not real crazy about this hire either. I am in fact fairly disappointed, for a number of reasons. I think Sampson has been very successful for a long period of time, yes--he has won at least 20 games every year, and has recruited able and athletic bodies most of the recent past. He has had some NCAA success, including a Final 4. But those recruiting violations charges are going to trouble lots of the Hoosier loyals.

Also, less tangibly: he just does not seem to "fit." I thought Mike Davis was on to something in suggesting that Hoosiers needed one of their own to replace him. By hiring Sampson, IU is clearly cutting all ties with the Bob Knight era. Too bad--Knight is arguably the great tragic figure of basketball history, and certainly one of the great sports figures of the 20th century.

I wonder why the names generally tossed around--Few, Crean, Wittman, etc.--were eliminated, or if they ever were in fact in the running. Specifically, I do not understand why Mark Few would not leap at this opportunity.

I never did believe the Calipari hype and am thankful that he was not hired. Sampson certainly "fits" a lot better than Calipari.

Obviously, Mark Few is content with the gig he has at Gonzaga. It's not like his name does not come up frequently for other jobs. I can't really comment on the violations that the NCAA was invetigating OU for, as I don't really follow that kind of crap too much. I can say that I think Sampson is a heckuva basketball coach. I wonder who OU will go after to fill his job...perhaps one of the mid majors will lose their HC.

courtside; it is extremely hard to resist responding to your insistent baiting. I really do not understand what your problem is with me posting my thoughts; but if you have any insight into your particular forms of pathology, I am sure we would all like to know more. It does seem rather obsessive.

I am guessing it has something to do with what you perceive to be my tone of knowing so much. But that seems odd to me since my posts compared the search at IU to being top secret, CIA, ned to know basis type of thing. I have never meant to suggest I "knew" something--just the opposite. I find the covert search at IU pretty frustrating and weird. However, maybe it is something else. And perhaps you are simply unaware, or oblivious, to the amount of alienation and loathing that your posts engender in the likes of me. Not that you care, obviously. But please, tell me--how have I rocked your world?

It is just very frustrating to be misread and misrepresented, and then attacked and ridiculed, for practically anything I post here. For a while I just quit posting here--precisely due to the attacks like these, from a rather small fringe element on this board. but I came back, not just to read the many good and informative posts, but to contribute. Why? Because it seems wrong for a perfectly good board to be shanghaied and taken over by a certain brand of poster. Sorry, I am venting.

Maybe I am just too old and quaint to understand the sheer lack of respect afforded visitors to this board. And maybe all of this is related to what one moderator described as the shameful behavoir that has arisen here. Anyway, why don't you cut me some slack and lay off? In fact, why don't we all just lay off the sarcasm and the vicious levels of humor, and cut each other some slack?

On the contrary Doc.....why don't you first calm down, take a breath, get a glass of water...and re-read this entire thread.

I make/made comments about the Indy Star and the info you porvided....somehow...magically out of thin air that gets a reply from you which begins: paraphrasing..."Courtside's inegnius posts...etc...???"

I merely pointed out to you that the Indy Star was late and sloppy covering the story at BEST. ...and somehow you take it as personal insult that the Indy Star was questioned. Do you work there? Or somebody you know?

Then you try make things personal with your follow up posts etc....

somehow I...I...manage to just simply stay on topic.

I then posted in response to Sampson's hire. After your previous misguided comments towards me....your defiance....and so forth...you absoluetly set yourself up for a mild playful post that had no ill will. It even had a smiley face Doc. What maore can I do?

Maybe the kids are getting to you late in the school year...whatever...no problem...maybe change the water to a Scotch Rocks and kick back...whatever you need to do.

But don't try to create something out out of nothing we me, or something personal with me that isn't there.

No offense, I don't remember any of your posts on any other topics.

You received incomplete at best information, and believed it to be true and I pointed it out. Whether that hurts your feelings or not, I don't really know or care. Anything else is simply in your head.

Funny, nobody else is posting any problems with me. If anything I have a reputation on this board as being pretty objective and open to a lot of things and people.

As I said, go back and read this thread.....I think you went wrong with your attacking comments and language after I pointed out to you that the Indy Star, not to my surprise wasn't hitting the mark.

Good Day.

I trust Oklahoma's AD, Joe Castiglione, to get an outstanding coach for the Sooners.

Castiglione has been with Oklahoma for 7 years and was with Missouri for 18 years. Oklahoma has the big money so hiring the right guy shouldn't be a problem.

If they go with youth ..... maybe the Wichita State coach. If they go with a veteran, maybe Alford or Altman or ?????.

Being an OU fan ... I have alot of thoughts on this subject.

Sampson ... it was time for him to go. Good riddence, he left OU with sanctions and became unhappy when he had to personally bear some of the restrictions such as his salary being frozen. How stupid is that ... he created the wrong doing and did alot of it himself. Hurry up Kelvin ... get the f... out.

As for a new coach ... I don't want Alford. It seems there is always and always will be talk of him going someplace else. I like Dana Altman ... but wonder if the Peter Principle may apply here. I really like Lowry at SIU. I know he omly has 2 years there ... but I think he is a good recruiter and can really coach. Other than that I don't have many real opinions ... I will wait and see what the talk is.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I think Sampson's move to Indiana will turn out to be a great move for both the coach and the school. Indiana remains one of the premier programs and it has control of the program as witnessed by the termination of Knight. Sampson's problems reflect on OK. This is a football school first and besting Texas is the foremost priority. The bb program is overlooked and Sampson got carried away. I am sure Indiana already had a discussion w/ him and infractions will not occur. You will also see a different Bob Huggins at K State. Mike Davis can coach, but cannot handle the media. Sampson can. Because so many students are from Chicago, Indiana gets media attention, so this is a necessary skill. Do you ever wonder how a coach from a lilly white program can go to another school as a head coach and do so much bad. Snyder gets blamed, but as in the cases w/ Sampson and Huggins the coach becomes the fall guy. OK and Mizzou programs are not controlled. Cinci had a change of philosophy and became controlled, but was out of control previously. The coaches earn bad reps and the schools seem to escape w/ reputations in place or not seriously damaged. How many times do you think Biondi has invited a SLU bb player over to Banister House for a party? One on probation? How many times has SLU accepted a player who earned 24 credits in one summer from 3 schools? The coaches get fired, or have to move on, while the school presidents and administrators stay on.