PD POY

BLIKNS

There are 5 candidates for PD POY

Leon Powell

James Washington

Alex Moosman

Sanijay Watts

Marquis Jones

Powell was snubbed last year because he was a sophomore and came up lame in the title game. This year his team was nearly as dominant, he came to play in the state final four and they won the title. Powell is my favorite to win the award though. ALL 5 of the kids are deserving though. St. Louis area teams won 5 out of the 10 possible state championships. St. Louis took over Columbia and that's a great sign for billiken fans if we can keep these kids home. Especially those talented juniors who were huge like Powell, Exkerle, and Gilmore. Gilmore may have hit the best shot in state tourney history from half-court. When I read the paper they said 28 foot. I was in the building, it was one step inside half-court.

..... the kiss of death? Kind of like the "Best New Artist" award at the Grammy's? The POY first came out in 1985 and the winner doesn'talways equate to a great collegiate career.

1985 -- Monroe Douglas; 1986 -- Anthony Jones; 1987 -- Jesse Hall; 1988 -- LaPhonso Ellis;

Moosman has the edge cuz of his teams state championship but if Watts had not been hurt at the end of the year, jennings might have been in Columbia too. Seeing both teams, I have to say Borgia was more talented, Watts carried his team on his back, moreso than Mossman. Moosman may win but Watts was the best player in the area this year.

That may be more indicative of the lack of talent in the St Louis area than a curse.

I would say most PD players of the year have had at least some collegiate success. Even Joel Shelton was a good player at Mineral Area.

The St. Louis area boys teams swept the state championships in classes 3-5 so the star player from any of those teams would be worthy of the player of the year award. My favorites to win it all year were Vashon in class 5 and Borgia or Jennings in class 4. Others felt the same way. No one talked about Ritter or Jones all year. They quietly went about winning state and won easily in the title game. Jones was consistent all year and he is a deserving candidate and is the darkhorse for the award.

of all past winners. I looked online but couldn't find one through google. I'd be willing to bet that more often then not they were damn good college players. Taj still seems hung up on DP being the POY a few years ago.

Its hard for me to imagine that guys like Hughes, Ryan Robertson, Carawell, Jahidi White weren't also on the list.

I looked for a list too couldn't find it, they will ahve one in the apaper when they do the teams.

My recollection is Guys that I can remember winning it are Miles, Hughes, Jahidi White never won, but Carrawell or Woods did, Shelton, the kid from Ritter who's brother was on Mc North this year, Polk, I think Clay from Riverview won it, Keane from Collinsville, McKinney, Thames, Not sure if any of Claggett, Highmark or Winfield were the winner their year, Ryan Robertson, Did Kandlbinder win it? Thats at least 11 there. Most of those guys were D-1 caliber.

Two recent metro graduates that were named POY are Kenny Burke (Ritter) and last year's winner, Landon Shipley (Lafayette).

I believe Burke went to Moberly JC out of high school, not sure where he went to school this season....maybe a small NAIA school somewhere. (V-Time can fill in the blanks here.)

Shipley went to Austin Peay. He came off the bench all year....averaged about 14 minutes and 5.5 points per game. Had more turnovers than assist.

I can only assume Blake Ahern won the award the year before Kenny Burke.

Players of the Year - The Post-Dispatch beganselecting a boys high school basketball Player of the Year in 1985.

1985 Monroe Douglass McKinley

1986 Anthony Jones Vashon

1987 Jesse Hall Venice

1988 LaPhonso Ellis Lincoln

1989 Johnny Mack Country Day

1990 Cuonzo Martin Lincoln

1991 Scott Highmark Parkway West

1992 Richard Keene Collinsville

1993 Kelly Thames Jennings

1994 Demetrius Alexander Hazelwood Central

1995 Ryan Robertson St. Charles West

1996 Loren Woods Cardinal Ritter

1997 Larry Hughes CBC

1998 Jon Harris Edwardsville

1999 Darius Miles East St. Louis

1985 Monroe Douglass McKinley

1986 Anthony Jones Vashon

1987 Jesse Hall Venice

1988 LaPhonso Ellis Lincoln

1989 Johnny Mack Country Day

1990 Cuonzo Martin Lincoln

1991 Scott Highmark Parkway West

1992 Richard Keene Collinsville

1993 Kelly Thames Jennings

1994 Demetrius Alexander Hazelwood Central

1995 Ryan Robertson St. Charles West

1996 Loren Woods Cardinal Ritter

1997 Larry Hughes CBC

1998 Jon Harris Edwardsville

1999 Darius Miles East St. Louis

00 Shelton

01 Mckinney

02 ?

03 Polk

04 Burke

05 Shipley

4 guys are NBA players. Martin had a cup of coffee in the league, Thames most certainly was an NBA player if not for his injury. Douglas, Highmark, Keene, Alexander, Robertson, Harris, Mckinney, all were above average D-1 players on major college teams. Burke and Shelton are probably the worst on the list, neither of them are D-1 caliber.

... as my post above stops in 1988 with Ellis ... I had every intention of continuing with the list to the current year but the computer went screwy. I am surprised that my post above is actuall yon here because after the screw up, I thought it was lost in cyberspace and would not be posted.

Missing from the list were the following PD POYs: 1989: Johnny Mack, 1990: Cuonzo Martin; 1991 -- Scott Highmark; 1992 -- Richard Keene; 1993 -- Kelly Thames; 1994 -- Demetrious Alexander; 1995 -- Ryan Robertson; 1996 -- Loren Woods; 1997 -- Larry Hughes; 1998 -- Jon Harris; 1999 & 2000 -- Daruis Miles; 2001 -- David Lee & Jimmy McKinney ; 2002 -- Jimmy McKinney; 2003 -- Kenny Burke; 2004 -- Dwayne Polk; and 2005 -- Landon Shipley.

As a mattrer of fact, we got four of the five members of the 2004 All-Metro team in Polk, Lisch, Liddell and Meyer. I think I agree that the overall St. Louis talent pool is somewhat shallow.

I have the entire list to include the five all-metro team members from each year starting with 1964. I seem to recall that someone gave it to me .. maybe it was Nate.

In any case I will retract my overall statement that the PD POY is like the Best New Artist at the Grammy's crack. From the list above, it seems more true to say that almost all of the PD POYs have had above average collegiate careers. I would say that of those that did not, only Jones, Hall, Alexander,Harris and McKinney did not, although I can see arguments on my McKinney inclusion. Miles of course doesn't count and the jury is still out on those from '03 forward.

I think kshoe is correct below in identifying my hangup and I've got to move past that. I also have to admit surprise that Joel Shelton was a three-time all-metro pick but never POY. I thought that he was.

Anyway, I have th elist and will be happy to share with anyone who wants it. Just ask and give me an email address.

> I have the entire list to include the five all-metro team members from each year starting with 1964. I seem to recall that someone gave it to me .. maybe it was Nate.

And you always thought it would be your eyes that would be the first thing to go as you got older :).

>Two recent metro graduates that were named POY are Kenny

>Burke (Ritter) and last year's winner, Landon Shipley

>(Lafayette).

>

>I believe Burke went to Moberly JC out of high school, not

>sure where he went to school this season....maybe a small

>NAIA school somewhere. (V-Time can fill in the blanks here.)

>

>Shipley went to Austin Peay. He came off the bench all

>year....averaged about 14 minutes and 5.5 points per game.

>Had more turnovers than assist.

>

>I can only assume Blake Ahern won the award the year before

>Kenny Burke.

Burke went to Moberly JC, they had him playing sg because of Mo Gibbs, and he knew pg was his shot at division, so he transferred mid-year to Mineral Area and sat out the semester. He played the 2005 season for Mineral Area and was second on the team in scoring behind All-American Ryan Byrne. He then signed with Southeastern Oklahoma State (D2). He will be playing his final year of eligibility back home where at Lindenwood. Ryan Byrne now plays for Missouri Baptist. Mo Gibbs now plays for UAB.

Full 2005

Lisch

Barnett

Hill

Shipley

Fuhrmeyer

Lisch

Polk

Meyer

Liddell

Price

Lisch

Agbo

Falker

Kirby

Burke

Full 2002

McKinney

Kern

Collins

?

? Maybe Dan Oppland, I forget

Simms

Lee

McKinney

Kelly

? I forget I'll remember later

I have the paper from a couple years ago, I think it was called 40 years of all-metro. It had all the teams. I'll post them either tonight or tomorrow.